State of Maryland
state of the United States of America
Wikimedia Commons category: Maryland
Maryland (US: (listen) MERR-ə-lənd) is a state in the Mid-Atlantic region of the eastern United States, bordering Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia to its south and west; Pennsylvania to its north; and Delaware and the Atlantic Ocean to its east. The state's largest city is Baltimore, and its capital is Annapolis. Among its occasional nicknames are Old Line State, the Free State, and the Chesapeake Bay State. It is named after the English queen Henrietta Maria, known in England as Queen Mary, who was the wife of King Charles I.Sixteen of Maryland's twenty-three counties, as well as the city of Baltimore, border the tidal waters of the Chesapeake Bay estuary and its many tributaries, which combined total more than 4,000 miles of shoreline. Although one of the smallest states in the U.S., it features a variety of climates and topographical features that have earned it the moniker of America in Miniature. In a similar vein, Maryland's geography, culture, and history combine elements of the Mid-Atlantic, Northeastern, and South Atlantic regions of the country.
Before its coastline was explored by Europeans in the 16th century, Maryland was inhabited by several groups of Native Americans, mostly by the Algonquin, and to a lesser degree by the Iroquois and Sioux. As one of the original Thirteen Colonies of Great Britain, Maryland was founded by George Calvert, a Catholic convert who sought to provide a religious haven for Catholics persecuted in England. In 1632, Charles I of England granted Calvert a colonial charter, naming the colony after his wife, Queen Mary (Henrietta Maria of France). Unlike the Pilgrims and Puritans, who rejected Catholicism in their settlements, Calvert envisioned a colony where people of different religious sects would coexist under the principle of toleration. Accordingly, in 1649 the Maryland General Assembly passed an Act Concerning Religion, which enshrined this principle by penalizing anyone who "reproached" a fellow Marylander based on religious affiliation. Nevertheless, religious strife was common in the early years, and Catholics remained a minority, albeit in greater numbers than in any other English colony.
Maryland's early settlements and population centers clustered around rivers and other waterways that empty into the Chesapeake Bay. Its economy was heavily plantation-based, centered mostly on the cultivation of tobacco. The need for cheap labor led to a rapid expansion of indentured servants, penal labor, and African slaves. In 1760, Maryland's current boundaries took form following the settlement of a long-running border dispute with Pennsylvania. Maryland was an active participant in the events leading up to the American Revolution, and by 1776 its delegates signed the Declaration of Independence. Many of its citizens subsequently played key political and military roles in the war. In 1790, the state ceded land for the establishment of the U.S. capital of Washington, D.C.
Although then a slave state, Maryland remained in the Union during the American Civil War, its strategic location giving it a significant role in the conflict. After the war, Maryland took part in the Industrial Revolution, driven by its seaports, railroad networks, and mass immigration from Europe. Since the Second World War, the state's population has grown rapidly, to approximately six million residents, and it is among the most densely populated U.S. states. As of 2015, Maryland had the highest median household income of any state, owing in large part to its close proximity to Washington, D.C. and a highly diversified economy spanning manufacturing, services, higher education, and biotechnology. The state's central role in U.S. history is reflected by its hosting of some of the highest numbers of historic landmarks per capita.
Maryland (Aussprache [ˈmɛɹɪlənd]) ist ein Bundesstaat der Vereinigten Staaten an der Atlantikküste.
Hauptstadt ist seit 1694 Annapolis mit knapp 40.000 Einwohnern im Jahr 2019. Mit über 610.000 Einwohnern ist Baltimore die größte Stadt. Maryland ist als Old Line State, Free State und Chesapeake Bay State bekannt.
Maryland (wymowa:/ˈmɛrələnd/) – stan Stanów Zjednoczonych na wybrzeżu Oceanu Atlantyckiego.
Jest jednym z 13 stanów założycielskich. Od południa graniczy z Dystryktem Kolumbii, Wirginią i Wirginią Zachodnią, od wschodu z Delaware, a od północy z Pensylwanią.
Zatoka Chesapeake dzieli stan na dwie części – wschodnią – nizinną i zachodnią – wyżynną, łagodnie wznoszącą się w kierunku Appalachów.
Мэ́риленд (англ. Maryland, американское произношение: [ˈmɛrələnd] ( слушать)) — небольшой по территории штат на востоке США, один из так называемых Среднеатлантических штатов и один из 13 штатов, совершивших Американскую революцию. Население — 5 828 289 человек (19-е место среди штатов; данные 2001 года). Столица — Аннаполис, крупнейший город — Балтимор.
«Штат старой границы» (англ. Old Line State)
«Штат-кокарда» (англ. Cockade State)
«Свободный штат» (англ. Free State). Такое название штату дала одна из балтиморских газет в 1920-х годах во время действия 18-й поправки к Конституции США, вводившей «сухой закон» на территории страны. Тогда штат Мэриленд первым заявил о том, что не хочет подчиняться запрету на продажу и производство алкоголя.
Ме́ріленд (також Ме́риленд, англ. Maryland, МФА:[mɛɹɨlənd] або [mɛrələnd]) — штат на сході США, один з так званих середньоатлантичних штатів і один з 13 штатів, які здійснили американську революцію. Населення — 6 052 177 осіб (19-е місце серед штатів; оцінка 2017 р.). Столиця — Аннаполіс, найбільше місто — Балтимор.
«Штат старого кордону» (Old Line State)
«Штат-кокарда» (Cockade State)
«Вільний штат» (Free State). Таку назву штату дала одна з Балтиморського газет у 20-х роках XX століття під час дії 18 поправки до Конституції США, вводячи «сухий закон» на території країни. Тоді штат Меріленд першим заявив про те, що не хоче підкорятися забороні на продаж і виробництво алкоголю, тобто хоче бути вільним.
Maryland (anglická výslovnost , oficiálně State of Maryland) je stát nacházející se na východním pobřeží Spojených států amerických, v Jihoatlantské oblasti jižního regionu USA. Maryland hraničí na východě s Delawarem, na severu s Pensylvánií, na západě a jihozápadě se Západní Virginií a na jihu s Virginií a Washinghtonem, D.C. Jihovýchodní ohraničení státu tvoří Atlantský oceán.
Anglická kolonie byla na území pozdějšího státu založena roku 1632. Pojmenována byla po Henriettě Marii, manželce anglického krále Karla I., který území propůjčil Cecilu Calvertovi, 2. baronovi z Baltimore. Marylandská provincie se roku 1776 stala jedním z původních třinácti zakládajících států USA. Maryland jako sedmý stát v pořadí ratifikoval Ústavu Spojených států amerických, k čemuž došlo 28. dubna 1788. Roku 1790 poskytl Maryland u řeky Potomac část svého území pro stavbu nového hlavní města USA, Washingtonu, D.C.
Maryland es uno de los cincuenta estados que, junto con Washington D. C., forman los Estados Unidos de América. Su capital es Annapolis y su ciudad más poblada, Baltimore.
Está en la región Noreste del país, división Atlántico Medio. Limita al norte con Pensilvania, al este con Delaware y al sur con el río Potomac que lo separa de Virginia, Washington D. C. y Virginia Occidental. Con 32 133 km² es el noveno estado menos extenso —por delante de Hawái, Massachusetts, Vermont, Nuevo Hampshire, Nueva Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware y Rhode Island, el menos extenso—. Con 180 hab/km² es el quinto más densamente poblado — por detrás de Nueva Jersey, Rhode Island, Connecticut y Massachusetts—. Fue admitido en la Unión el 28 de abril de 1788, como el estado número siete.
Recibió su nombre en homenaje a la reina Enriqueta María de Francia, esposa del rey Carlos I de Inglaterra (Maryland en inglés significa "Tierra de María"). Fue una de las Trece Colonias que se rebelaron contra el dominio británico en la región.
El apodo del estado es Old Line State, en homenaje a sus "tropas de línea" (troops of the line), que fueron varias veces elogiadas por George Washington por su excelente actuación en la Guerra de Independencia de los Estados Unidos.
El actual himno de Estados Unidos, The Star-Spangled Banner, fue escrito por Francis Scott Key, un abogado y poeta aficionado que se inspiró al ver a las tropas estadounidenses defendiendo con éxito un ataque de tropas navales del Reino Unido (en la época, la mayor potencia militar del mundo) contra Baltimore, en la Guerra anglo-estadounidense de 1812.
Le Maryland /ma.ʁi.lɑ̃d/ (prononcé /ˈmɛɹ.ə.lənd/) est un État du Nord-Est des États-Unis. Sa capitale est Annapolis, et sa plus grande ville est Baltimore. Avec une superficie de 32 160 km2 uniquement et une population de 5 773 552 habitants, il est l'un des plus petits États du pays mais aussi l'un des plus densément peuplés.
La Province du Maryland est fondée en 1632 sous l'action de Cecilius Calvert, baron de Baltimore. Nommé en l'honneur d'Henriette-Marie de France, épouse du roi d'Angleterre Charles Ier Stuart, le territoire accueille les catholiques persécutés en Angleterre. La culture du tabac assure sa prospérité au cours du XVIIe siècle.
L'économie de l'État repose sur l'agriculture de la région du Piedmont, les biotechnologies, l'activité du port de Baltimore, et surtout sur la présence de plusieurs bases de l'armée américaine (Fort George G. Meade, Aberdeen Proving Ground). Le Maryland est l'État au revenu par habitant le plus important du pays, mais Baltimore connaît d'importants problèmes sociaux. En outre, bien que sa figure politique principale soit le républicain Spiro Agnew, vice-président de Richard Nixon, l'État est de tradition démocrate depuis les années 1960. Lieu de tolérance, il est réputé pour avoir vu naître la liberté de religion aux États-Unis.
Il Maryland (in inglese , /ˈmɛrɨlənd/) è uno Stato federato degli Stati Uniti d'America, che si trova sull'oceano Atlantico. È uno degli Stati della costa orientale, e generalmente è considerato parte della regione atlantica centrale (Middle Atlantic) ma presenta caratteri che lo possono associare sia alla regione sud-orientale (Southeast) che a quella nord-orientale (Northeast). La sua sigla postale è MD, quella dell'Associated Press Md.
Nel suo stemma compare il motto scritto in italiano arcaico: fatti maschii, parole femine.Il Maryland fu una delle prime tra le tredici colonie che si ribellarono al governo del Regno Unito, dando inizio all'indipendenza delle colonie dell'America del Nord, guadagnandosi così il soprannome di Old Line State, lo Stato della vecchia prima linea.
State of Maryland
州の愛称: 伝統ある州Free State, Old Line State州のモットー: 強い行動、優しい言葉イタリア語: Fatti maschii, parole femine
メリーランド州（英: State of Maryland、 ( 音声ファイル)、略号: MD, Md.）は、アメリカ合衆国東部の大西洋岸にあり、ワシントンD.C.に隣接して中部大西洋岸地域（Mid-Atlantic States）を構成する州の一つである。アメリカ合衆国50州の中で、陸地面積では第42位、人口では第19位である。人口密度が高い。南と西はバージニア州、ウェストバージニア州、ワシントンD.C.に、北はペンシルベニア州、東はデラウェア州と接している。
州名の由来は、当時、イングランド国内で禁じられていたカトリック信仰の擁護者的存在になったヘンリエッタ・マリア・オブ・フランス王妃（イングランド内戦・ピューリタン革命で処刑されることになるチャールズ1世の妃）の名前であり、イギリス植民地時代に彼女の栄誉を称えて名付けられた。当時、勅許で与えられた名前は"Terra Mariae, anglice, Maryland"だった。ただし多くの歴史家は、ジョージ・カルバートが1632年に死ぬ前に、イエスの母マリアに因んで名付けたと考えている。
Maryland, também chamada de Marilândia em português, é um dos 50 estados dos Estados Unidos, localizado na região nordeste do país. Maryland foi nomeada em homenagem à rainha Henriqueta Maria, francesa, esposa do rei Carlos I da Inglaterra.
Maryland foi uma das treze colônias que rebelaram-se contra o domínio britânico na região. O cognome do estado é Old Line State, em homenagem às suas "tropas de linha" (troops of the line), que foram por várias vezes elogiadas por George Washington por sua excelente atuação na Guerra da Independência dos Estados Unidos.
O atual hino dos Estados Unidos, The Star-Spangled Banner, foi escrito por Francis Scott Key, um poeta amador que inspirou-se ao ver as tropas norte-americanas defendendo com sucesso um ataque de tropas navais do Reino Unido (à época, a maior potência militar do mundo) contra Baltimore, na guerra de 1812.
马里兰州（英語：State of Maryland），简称马州，是美国的一州，屬於美國中大西洋地區，其西邊與南邊與西維吉尼亞州、維吉尼亞州、華盛頓哥倫比亞特區接壤，北方是賓夕法尼亞州，東鄰為德拉瓦州。馬里蘭州是第七個通過美國憲法的州，有三個常見的暱稱：老戰線州（the Old Line State）、自由之州（the Free State）、切薩皮克灣州（the Chesapeake Bay State）。本州郵政縮寫為MD。
Places located in Maryland
Baltimore ( BAWL-tim-or, locally: ) is the most populous city in the U.S. state of Maryland, as well as the 30th most populous city in the United States, with a population of 593,490 in 2019. Baltimore is the largest independent city in the country and was designated as such by the Constitution of Maryland in 1851. As of 2017, the population of the Baltimore metropolitan area was estimated to be just under 2.802 million, making it the 21st largest metropolitan area in the country. Baltimore is located about 40 miles (64 km) northeast of Washington, D.C., making it a principal city in the Washington–Baltimore combined statistical area (CSA), the fourth-largest CSA in the nation, with a calculated 2018 population of 9,797,063.Prior to European colonization, the Baltimore region was home to the Susquehannock Native Americans. British colonists established the Port of Baltimore in 1706 to support the tobacco trade, and established the Town of Baltimore in 1729. The Battle of Baltimore was a pivotal engagement during the War of 1812, culminating in the bombardment of Fort McHenry, during which Francis Scott Key wrote a poem that would become "The Star-Spangled Banner", which was eventually designated as the American national anthem in 1931. During the Pratt Street Riot of 1861, the city was the site of some of the earliest violence associated with the American Civil War.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, the oldest railroad in the United States, was built in 1830 and cemented Baltimore's status as a major transportation hub, giving producers in the Midwest and Appalachia access to the city's port. Baltimore's Inner Harbor was once the second leading port of entry for immigrants to the United States. In addition, Baltimore was a major manufacturing center. After a decline in major manufacturing, heavy industry, and restructuring of the rail industry, Baltimore has shifted to a service-oriented economy. Johns Hopkins Hospital and Johns Hopkins University are the city's top two employers. Baltimore and its surrounding region are home to the headquarters of a number of major organizations and government agencies, including the NAACP, ABET, the National Federation of the Blind, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, and the Social Security Administration.
With hundreds of identified districts, Baltimore has been dubbed a "city of neighborhoods." Many of Baltimore's neighborhoods have rich histories: the city is home to some of the earliest National Register Historic Districts in the nation, including Fell's Point, Federal Hill, and Mount Vernon. These were added to the National Register between 1969 and 1971, soon after historic preservation legislation was passed. Baltimore has more public statues and monuments per capita than any other city in the country, Nearly one third of the city's buildings (over 65,000) are designated as historic in the National Register, which is more than any other U.S. city.
The American Visionary Art Museum (AVAM) is an art museum located in Baltimore, Maryland's Federal Hill neighborhood at 800 Key Highway. The museum specializes in the preservation and display of outsider art (also known as "intuitive art," "raw art," or "art brut"). The city agreed to give the museum a piece of land on the south shore of the Inner Harbor under the condition that its organizers would clean up residual pollution from a copper paint factory and a whiskey warehouse that formerly occupied the site. It has been designated by Congress as America's national museum for self-taught art.
AVAM's 1.1 acre campus contains 67,000 square feet of exhibition space and a permanent collection of approximately 4,000 pieces. The permanent collection includes works by visionary artists like Ho Baron, Nek Chand, Howard Finster, Vanessa German, Mr. Imagination (aka Gregory Warmack), Leonard Knight, William Kurelek, Leo Sewell, Judith Scott, Ben Wilson, as well as over 40 pieces from the Cabaret Mechanical Theatre of London. AVAM artists, the museum boasts, include “farmers, housewives, mechanics, the disabled, the homeless. . . all inspired by the fire within.” The museum's Main Building features three floors of exhibition space, and the campus includes a Tall Sculpture Barn and Wildflower Garden, along with large exhibition and event spaces in the Jim Rouse Visionary Center.
The museum has no staff curators, preferring to use guest curators for its shows. Rather than focusing shows on specific artists or styles, it sponsors themed exhibitions with titles such as Wind in Your Hair and High on Life. The museum's founder, Rebecca Alban Hoffberger, takes pride in the fact that AVAM is "pretty un-museumy".
Annapolis (pronunciation ; ) is the capital of the U.S. state of Maryland, as well as the county seat of Anne Arundel County. Situated on the Chesapeake Bay at the mouth of the Severn River, 25 miles (40 km) south of Baltimore and about 30 miles (50 km) east of Washington, D.C., Annapolis is part of the Baltimore–Washington metropolitan area. Its population was measured at 38,394 by the 2010 census.
This city served as the seat of the Confederation Congress (former Second Continental Congress) and temporary national capital of the United States in 1783–1784. At that time, General George Washington came before the body convened in the new Maryland State House and resigned his commission as commander of the Continental Army. A month later, the Congress ratified the Treaty of Paris of 1783, ending the American Revolutionary War, with Great Britain recognizing the independence of the United States.
The city and state capitol was also the site of the 1786 Annapolis Convention, which issued a call to the states to send delegates for the Constitutional Convention to be held the following year in Philadelphia. Over 220 years later, the Annapolis Peace Conference was held in 2007. Annapolis is the home of St. John's College, founded 1696; the United States Naval Academy, established 1845, is adjacent to the city limits.
The National Cryptologic Museum (NCM) is an American museum of cryptologic history that is affiliated with the National Security Agency (NSA). The first public museum in the U.S. Intelligence Community, NCM is located in the former Colony Seven Motel, just two blocks from the NSA headquarters at Fort George G. Meade in Maryland. The museum opened to the public on December 16, 1993, and now hosts about 50,000 visitors annually from all over the world.
The NCM is open Monday to Friday, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM, as well as 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. on the first and third Saturdays of each month. It is closed on Sundays and all federal holidays, and operates on NSA's emergency/weather closure schedule (i.e. if NSA is closed, the museum is closed as well). The NCM includes a gift store whose operational hours coordinate with the museum's operational schedule (i.e., if the museum is closed altogether, opens late, or closes early, the gift shop does likewise) and an unclassified library with weekday-only operating hours that also represent the museum's weekday operational schedule. The library includes over a dozen boxes of the files of Herbert Yardley, declassified Enigma messages, technical reports, and books including how to crack the Data Encryption Standard using Deep Crack.
The National Vigilance Park (NVP) was next to the museum, where three reconnaissance aircraft were displayed. A U.S. Army Beechcraft RU-8D Seminole reconnaissance plane represents the Army Airborne Signals Intelligence contribution in the Vietnam War. A Lockheed C-130 Hercules transport, modified to look like a reconnaissance-configured C-130A, memorialized a U.S. Air Force aircraft shot down over Soviet Armenia during the Cold War. Finally, the park also contained a U.S. Navy Douglas EA-3B Skywarrior, commemorating a mission in the Mediterranean on January 25, 1987 in which all seven crew members died.The NCM is open to the public, and admission is free. Donations to the NCM Foundation are accepted. Photography is allowed inside the museum but flash photography is prohibited in certain areas of the museum due to the age of some of the artifacts.
The Battle Monument, located in Battle Monument Square on North Calvert Street between East Fayette and East Lexington Streets in Baltimore, Maryland, commemorates the Battle of Baltimore with the British fleet of the Royal Navy's bombardment of Fort McHenry, the Battle of North Point, southeast of the city in Baltimore County on the Patapsco Neck peninsula, and the stand-off on the eastern siege fortifications along Loudenschlager and Potter's Hills, later called Hampstead Hill, in what is now Patterson Park since 1827, east of town. It honors those who died during the month of September 1814 during the War of 1812. The monument lies in the middle of the street and is between the two Baltimore City Circuit Courthouses that are located on the opposite sides of North Calvert Street. It was sponsored by the City and the "Committee of Vigilance and Safety" led by Mayor Edward Johnson and military commanders: Brig. Gen. John Stricker, Maj. Gen. Samuel Smith and Lt. Col. George Armistead (of Ft. McHenry).
The site of the former first Baltimore County and Town/City Courthouse (torn down in 1809) was originally designated as the location for the newly planned Washington Monument. Designed by Robert Mills (1781-1855), the cornerstone of the Washington Monument for Baltimore had just been laid on Independence Day, July 4, 1815. But fears that the designed shaft of the column would be too tall for the smaller open space of the old Courthouse Square, and might fall over onto nearby close-in townhouses, caused a last-minute change in location. The monument site for the nation's first president was moved further north of the city into "Howard's Woods" of the "Belvindere" estate of Col. John Eager Howard (1752-1827).
The monument, designed by Baltimore architect J. Maximilian M. Godefroy (sculptor to the Court of Spain) and built in 1815-25, is 39 feet (11.9 m) tall. The base of the monument is an Egyptian Revival cenotaph. It is an unusually democratic monument for the time in that it records the names of all who died, regardless of rank. The eighteen layers of the marble base represent the eighteen states that made up the United States at the time of the war. A griffin is at each corner of the base. The column, carved as a Roman fasces, is bound with cords listing the names of soldiers who died during the battle, while the names of officers who died are at the top.The monument is topped by an 8 feet tall 2,750 pound Carrara marble statue by Antonio Capellano of a female figure representing the City of Baltimore that wears a crown of victory and holds a laurel wreath in one hand and a ship's rudder in the other. It was hoisted to the top of the column during the middle of the period of construction on the eighth anniversary ceremonies, Defenders Day, September 12, 1822. Colloquially called Lady Baltimore, the statue was relocated to the Maryland Historical Society on October 5, 2013 in order to preserve it from further damage caused by time and nature. It was replaced by a concrete replica. The monument is the oldest stone monument and first public war memorial in the United States.The monument is depicted on the seal of the City of Baltimore that was adopted in 1827 and the city's flag adopted in the early 20th century.
The monument is erroneously depicted as being in Washington, D.C. in the film Live Free or Die Hard starring Bruce Willis, which had numerous scenes actually filmed in downtown Baltimore.
The Battle Monument was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 4, 1973. It is contained within the Business and Government Historic District and is within the Baltimore National Heritage Area.
Caroline County is a rural county located in the U.S. state of Maryland on its Eastern Shore. As of the 2010 census, the population was 33,066. Its county seat is Denton.Caroline County is bordered by Queen Anne's County to the north, Talbot County to the west, Dorchester County to the south, Kent County, Delaware, to the east, and Sussex County, Delaware, to the southeast.
The College of Medicine of Maryland, or also known since 1959 as Davidge Hall, has been in continuous use for medical education since 1813, the oldest such structure in the United States. A wide pediment stands in front of a low, domed drum structure, which housed the anatomical theater. A circular chemistry hall was housed on the lower level under the anatomical theater.The dome is a Delormé structure, with small slats forming the dome. The design, originated by Philibert de l'Orme, was also used at Jefferson's Monticello; somewhat inspired by the ancient Pantheon in Rome. The supervising architect was Robert Cary Long, Sr., a famous local father-son team of architects who also designed many other famous buildings in the city. The front portico facing West Lombard Street (formerly King George Street) is of wood construction with Doric columns. To the west is South Greene Street (named for Revolutionary War Gen. Nathanael Greene, (1742-1786), and aide to Gen. George Washington of the Continental Army)
Davidge Hall was named for the founder and first dean of the College of Medicine of Maryland, Dr. John Beale Davidge. The College of Medicine is the oldest public and fifth oldest medical school in the United States. Dr. Davidge, along with James Cocke and John Shaw, offered medical instruction in a small theater beginning in late 1807. In November of that year, a mob broke into Davidge's small domed theater, took the cadaver and dragged it through the streets. In December, the Maryland General Assembly passed a bill establishing a college of medicine. A lot was obtained for construction of a building in 1811. Evidence exists that in addition to Robert Cary Long, Jr., early design work may have also been performed by French émigré architect J. Maximilian M. Godefroy, son-in-law of Dr. Crawford (who also did work on the Battle Monument during 1815-1827, in Baltimore's former Courthouse Square at North Calvert, between East Lexington and Fayette Streets and the First Independent Church of Baltimore (later First Unitarian Church of Baltimore (Unitarian and Universalist) at West Franklin and North Charles Streets in 1817, both of which still stand. Work began in 1812 and was completed the following year.The use of the name "Davidge Hall" did not appear until about 1959, when a previous UMAB campus building of the same name was demolished.
Davidge Hall was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 25, 1977 and made a National Historic Landmark on September 25, 1997. Davidge Hall is also considered the oldest building in continuous use for medical education in the Northern Hemisphere. It is included within the Baltimore City National Heritage Area.
The Banneker-Douglass Museum, formerly known as Mt. Moriah African Methodist Episcopal Church, is a historic church at Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland. It was constructed in 1875 and remodeled in 1896. It is a 2 1⁄2-story, gable-front brick church executed in the Gothic Revival style. It served as the meeting hall for the First African Methodist Episcopal Church, originally formed in the 1790s, for nearly 100 years. It was leased to the Maryland Commission on African-American History and Culture, becoming the state's official museum for African-American history and culture. In 1984, a 2 1⁄2-story addition was added when the building opened as the Banneker-Douglass Museum.It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and is within the boundaries of the Colonial Annapolis Historic District. Steven Newsome is the former director of the museum.The Banneker-Douglass Museum is a museum dedicated to preserving Maryland's African American heritage. Located at 84 Franklin Street, Annapolis, Maryland, the museum is housed in the old Mount Moriah A.M.E. Church. The museum is named for Benjamin Banneker and Frederick Douglass.
The contributions of famous African American Maryland residents are highlighted, including Kunta Kinte, Benjamin Banneker, James Pennington, Frederick Douglass, Harriet Tubman, Matthew Henson and Thurgood Marshall. Other exhibits include black life in Maryland, and African and African American art. Lectures, workshops, performances and educational programs are offered each year.
The facility serves as the state's official repository of African American material culture. The museum also has a library and archives.
The National Aquarium - also known as National Aquarium in Baltimore and formerly known as Baltimore Aquarium - is a non-profit public aquarium located at 501 East Pratt Street on Pier 3 in the Inner Harbor area of downtown Baltimore, Maryland, in the United States. Constructed during a period of urban renewal in Baltimore, the aquarium opened on August 8, 1981. The aquarium has an annual attendance of 1.5 million visitors and is the largest tourism attraction in the State of Maryland. The aquarium holds more than 2,200,000 US gallons (8,300,000 l) of water, and has more than 17,000 specimens representing over 750 species. The National Aquarium's mission is to inspire conservation of the world's aquatic treasures. The aquarium's stated vision is to confront pressing issues facing global aquatic habitats through pioneering science, conservation, and educational programming.The National Aquarium houses several exhibits including the Upland Tropical Rain Forest, a multiple-story Atlantic Coral Reef, an open ocean shark tank, and Australia: Wild Extremes, which won the "Best Exhibit" award from the Association of Zoos and Aquariums in 2008. The aquarium also has a 4D Immersion Theater. The aquarium opened a marine mammal pavilion on the adjacent south end of Pier 4 in 1990, and currently holds seven Atlantic bottlenose dolphins. Of the seven, six were born at the National Aquarium, one was born at another American aquarium.
In 2003, the National Aquarium and the much older and independent National Aquarium in Washington, D.C., formed an alliance to operate as a single National Aquarium with two sites. This arrangement continued until 2013, when the Washington location closed permanently.
Catonsville is a census-designated place (CDP) in Baltimore County, Maryland, United States. The population was 41,567 at the 2010 census. The community lies to the west of Baltimore along the city's border. Catonsville contains the majority of the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC), a major public research university with close to 14,000 students.
Aberdeen Proving Ground (APG) (sometimes erroneously called Aberdeen Proving Grounds) is a U.S. Army facility located adjacent to Aberdeen, Harford County, Maryland, United States. Part of the facility is a census-designated place (CDP), which had a population of 3,116 at the 2000 census, and 2,093 as of the 2010 census.
There are 11 major commands among the tenant units, including
Adelphi Laboratory Center
The Army Reserve Information Operations Command
Unified Cross Domain Services Management Office
HQ, U.S. Army Contracting Command (Army Contracting Command –APG, Adelphi Contracting Division)
U.S Army 93rd Signal Network - Network Enterprise Center
Logistics Readiness Center
U.S. Army Cyber Operation Group – 335th Signal Command
Blossom Point Research Facility
Randolph Road is a county highway in the U.S. state of Maryland. The highway is the major component of a mostly four- to six-lane 16.8-mile (27.0 km) highway spanning southern Montgomery County and northwestern Prince George's County that also includes Montrose Road, Montrose Parkway, and Cherry Hill Road, and forms an important link between eastern Montgomery County and Rockville. Montrose Road begins at Maryland Route 189 (MD 189) in Potomac. The highway heads east through a junction with Interstate 270 (I-270) before the main course continues as Montrose Parkway in North Bethesda. Montrose Parkway continues through a junction with MD 355, east of which the highway becomes Randolph Road. Randolph Road intersects MD 586 and MD 185 in Wheaton, MD 97 in Glenmont, and MD 650 in Colesville. The highway continues southeast toward Fairland, where it meets U.S. Route 29 (US 29). The highway continues from US 29 as Cherry Hill Road through an intersection with MD 212 in Calverton before reaching its eastern end at US 1 in College Park.
A significant portion of Montrose Road, Randolph Road, and Cherry Hill Road existed along or near their present alignments by the early 20th century. The major exceptions were Montrose Road west of I-270 and Randolph Road from North Bethesda to Glenmont. Much of the county highways were improved as modern roads by the mid-1940s. Randolph Road from Glenmont to Colesville was originally known as Glenmont Road and constructed as Maryland Route 183 in the late 1910s. The North Bethesda–Glenmont stretch of Randolph Road was built as a four-lane divided highway in the 1950s and early 1960s. MD 183 was expanded to a divided highway in the mid-1970s then transferred to county control in the early 1980s. Montrose Road was reconstructed as a temporary connecting route associated with the construction of I-270 in the late 1950s; the highway was extended to Potomac in the late 1980s. The first phase of Montrose Parkway was constructed in the late 2000s; the parkway will be extended east to MD 586 in the future.
Easton is an incorporated town and the county seat of Talbot County, Maryland, United States. The population was 15,945 at the 2010 census, with an estimated population in 2019 of 16,671. The primary ZIP Code is 21601, and the secondary is 21606. The primary phone exchange is 822, the auxiliary exchanges are 820, 763, and 770, and the area code is 410.
The George Peabody Library, formerly known as the Library of the Peabody Institute of the City of Baltimore, is the 19th-century focused research library of The Johns Hopkins University. It is located on the Peabody campus at West Mount Vernon Place in the Mount Vernon-Belvedere historic cultural neighborhood north of downtown Baltimore, Maryland, across from the landmark Washington Monument. The collections are available for use by the general public, in keeping with the famous Baltimorean merchant/banker/financier/philanthropist George Peabody's goal to create a library "for the free use of all persons who desire to consult it."
The Maryland State House is located in Annapolis, Maryland as the oldest U.S. state capitol in continuous legislative use, dating to 1772 and housing the Maryland General Assembly, plus the offices of the Governor and Lieutenant Governor. In 1783 and 1784 it served as the capitol building of the United States Congress of the Confederation, and is where Ratification Day, the formal end of the American Revolutionary War, occurred.
The capitol has the distinction of being topped by the largest wooden dome in the United States constructed without nails. The current building, which was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960, is the third statehouse on its site. The building is administered by the State House Trust, established in 1969.
Patterson Park is an urban park in Southeast Baltimore, Maryland, United States, adjacent to the neighborhoods of Canton, Highlandtown, Patterson Park, and Butchers Hill. It is bordered by East Baltimore Street, Eastern Avenue, South Patterson Park Avenue, and South Linwood Avenue. The Patterson Park extension lies to the east of the main park, and is bordered by East Pratt Street, South Ellwood Avenue, and Eastern Avenue.
Patterson Park was established in 1827 and named for William Patterson (1752–1835). The park consists of open fields of grass, large trees, paved walkways, historic battle sites, a lake, playgrounds, athletic fields, a swimming pool, an ice skating rink and other signature attractions and buildings. At 137 acres (0.55 km2), Patterson Park is not the city's largest park; however, it is nicknamed "Best Backyard in Baltimore."
Cylburn Arboretum is a city park with arboretum and gardens, located at 4915 Greenspring Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland. It is open daily - excluding Mondays-without charge.
The arboretum began as the private estate of businessman Jesse Tyson, who started construction of Cylburn Mansion in 1863. The house, designed by Baltimore City Hall architect George Aloysius Frederick, was eventually completed in 1888 and remains intact, a stone structure built of gneiss from Tyson's quarries at Bare Hills, with mansard roof, tower, and an Italianate cupola. It became the Cylburn Wildflower Preserve and Garden Center in 1954 and, in 1982, was renamed the Cylburn Arboretum Association.The Cylburn Mansion houses a display of watercolor paintings of Maryland wildflowers that is open to the public.
Today the arboretum contains an extensive collection of trees and woody shrubs based loosely on the Tysons' original plantings. Collections include azaleas, bamboo, beeches, boxwoods, chestnuts, conifers, hollies, Japanese maples, magnolias, maples, Maryland oaks, and viburnum.
The arboretum also includes a number of flower and vegetable gardens, as well as greenhouses designed and built in the 1960s by Lord & Burnham. The greenhouses grow plants for the city's parks, and are not open to the general public.
The arboretum is included in the Baltimore National Heritage Area.It was used as a filming location for "Final Grades", a 2006 episode of The Wire, in which Bodie Broadus and Jimmy McNulty have a conversation in the park.
St. Denis is a passenger rail station on the MARC Camden Line in the Maryland town of the same name. While the small station is the line's closest station to its terminus at Camden Yards in Baltimore, it has low ridership and is designated a flag stop: trains do not stop unless the engineer sees passengers who are waiting to be picked up, or the conductor is aware that there are passengers who want to be dropped off.St. Denis station contains two platforms and three tracks. The southbound platform, located on the corner of Arlington and Maple Avenues, has a shelter that is made of Plexiglas and aluminum. MARC gives this platform as the official address of the station. The northbound platform contains a wooden shelter on an embankment at the end of East Street with the name of the station on the back of it. The station also contains two at-grade wooden pedestrian crossings, one which spans the entire right-of-way from Arlington Avenue to East Street, and the other which only runs from the southbound platform on Maple Avenue to the middle tracks.
East of St. Denis, the Camden Line crosses over the MARC Penn Line south of the Halethorpe MARC station. The station itself, is an excellent spot for railfanning due to its proximity to Baltimore and its location at a point that sees Capital Subdivision, Baltimore Terminal Subdivision, and Old Main Line Subdivision freight traffic. A junction leading to the B&O Railroad Museum also exists between here and the terminus at Camden Yards.
Washington College is a private liberal arts college in Chestertown, Maryland. Maryland granted Washington College its charter in 1782. George Washington supported the founding of the college by consenting to have the "College at Chester" named in his honor, through generous financial support, and through service on the college's Board of Visitors and Governors. Washington College is the 10th-oldest college in the United States and was the first college chartered after American independence. The school became coeducational in 1891.
United States lightship Chesapeake (LV-116/WAL-538/WLV-538) is a museum ship owned by the National Park Service and on a 25-year loan to Baltimore City, and is operated by Historic Ships in Baltimore, Maryland. A National Historic Landmark, she is one of a small number of preserved lightships. Since 1820, several lightships have served at the Chesapeake lightship station and have been called Chesapeake. It was common for a lightship to be reassigned from one Lightship Station to another and thus "renamed" and identified by its new station name. Even though the "name" changed during a Lightship's service life, the hull number never changed. The United States Coast Guard assigned new hull numbers to all lightships still in service in April 1950. After that date, Light Ship / Light Vessel 116 was then known by the new Coast Guard Hull number: WAL-538. In January 1965 the Coast Guard further modified all lightship hull designations from WAL to WLV, so Chesapeake became WLV-538.
Chesapeake had many redundant systems in order to maintain her position through most storms. The 5,000 pounds (2,300 kg) main anchor was backed up by a second 5000-pound anchor attached to the side of the ship. The 30,000 candela main light was also backed up with a secondary lamp and the Radio Locator Beacon also had a backup system. On more than one occasion (in 1933, 1936, and 1962) the main anchor chain snapped during violent storms and the ship had to use her engines to stay in place and drop her second anchor.
The UMBC Event Center is a basketball arena, concert and multi-purpose event venue on the campus of the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) in Catonsville, Maryland. It is the home of the UMBC Retrievers men's and women's basketball teams as well as the volleyball team and serves as a replacement to the Retriever Activities Center (RAC). It has a capacity of 5,000 seats, approximately 1,000 more than the RAC, and is the campus venue for all commencements and concerts. Construction began in March 2016, with an estimated cost of $67 million. Although the venue was originally supposed to be completed in time for the beginning of the Fall 2017 semester and the start of the 2017–18 athletic season, due to delays it officially opened for the February 3 men's basketball game against Vermont.
The Hippodrome Theatre is a theater in Baltimore, Maryland. Built in 1914 for impresarios Marion Scott Pearce and Scheck, the 2300-seat theater was the foremost vaudeville house in Baltimore, as well as a movie theater. When the movie palace opened it was the largest theatre south of Philadelphia. The Hippodrome was designed by Thomas W. Lamb, one of the foremost theater architects of his time. Lamb gave the theater an unusually strong presence on Eutaw Street through the use of brick and terra cotta on a massive façade. The Hippodrome was renovated in 2004 for use as a performing arts theater, and is part of the France-Merrick Performing Arts Center.The site had previously been occupied by the five story Eutaw House Hotel, built in 1835 and destroyed by fire on May 25, 1912. The new theater had an original capacity of 3,000 seats and boasted a Moller organ, as well as a house orchestra that survived into the 1950s. The Loew's chain operated the Hippodrome from 1917 to 1924, then Keith-Albee-Orpheum assumed stewardship. In 1920 the average weekly attendance was 30,000. During the 1930s the Hippodrome featured such performers as Jack Benny, Milton Berle, Bob Hope, Martha Raye, Dinah Shore, Red Skelton, The Three Stooges, the Andrews Sisters, Morey Amsterdam and Benny Goodman. Frank Sinatra first performed with Harry James at the Hippodrome. Live performances ceased in 1959, but movies remained strong through the 1960s. The Hippodrome finally closed in 1990 as the last movie theater in downtown Baltimore.
The Howard Peters Rawlings Conservatory and Botanic Gardens of Baltimore, often known as the Baltimore City Conservatory, is a historic conservatory / greenhouse and botanical garden located in Druid Hill Park at 3100 Swann Drive, in the northwest area of Baltimore, Maryland.
Designed by George A. Frederick (1842-1924), who was the architect of the Baltimore City Hall (1867-1875), and semi-official municipal architect of Baltimore in the late 19th century.
The new conservatory opened to the public on August 26, 1888, 28 years after the city's largest park itself. with a major renovation in the early 2000s that added two new side wing pavilions. It now contains five distinct areas: the 1888 Palm House, the Orchid Room, Mediterranean House, Tropical House, and Desert House. The surrounding 1.5 acres (0.61 ha) of grounds within Druid Hill Park,
feature 35 flowerbeds.
The Rawlings Conservatory is on the National Register of Historic Places (kept by the National Park Service of the U.S. Department of the Interior), the Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties (maintained by the Maryland Historic Trust), and is a Baltimore City Landmark (designated by the City's Commission on Historic and Architecturural Preservation [C.H.A.P.]).
It is the second oldest surviving glass botanic conservatory in the United States.
The Maryland Theater was a music venue in Baltimore, Maryland, home to that city's first jazz band, led by John Ridgely. It was originally built for James Lawrence Kernan (1838-1912) as a vaudeville house, in 1903, adjacent to his Hotel Kernan (later renamed the Congress Hotel) and included a rathskeller in the basement with some of the first music in town from a "jazz band" led by John Ridgley, at what became known later as the "marble bar" as a musical venue even up to the 1980s. Located facing West Franklin Street, between North Paca Street and west of North Howard Street, which was one of the fanciest hotels in the city at the time constructed of Beaux Arts/Classical Revival style architecture. Unfortunately, in the 1950s, the old Maryland Theatre was razed and temporarily replaced by a parking lot for the last days of the hotel.
Kernan was also a member of the city's Board of Park Commissioners and a member of the old Baltimore City Jail Board. He was also the founder of the James Lawrence Kernan Hospital at his "Radnor Park" estate in northwest Baltimore's Forest Park neighborhood near Woodlawn in suburban Baltimore County. The hospital built in the 1920s era with buildings around the old mansion of 1860-1867 construction of Greek Revival and Colonial Revival styled architecture. Today it is a part of the state's University of Maryland Medical Center as the "University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute".
The old Kernan/Congress Hotel was renovated and restored in 2004-2005 as apartments and condos by the locally famous architect and construction firm, Streuver Brothers, Eccles and Rouse as one of their last renewal projects of three decades in the city.
Adkins Arboretum (400 acres) is a native garden and arboretum located within Tuckahoe State Park at 12610 Eveland Road, Ridgely, Maryland. Its gardens contain a "living collection" of more than 600 native plant species, used to promote land stewardship practices in the Chesapeake Bay region. A retail Native Plant Nursery offers ornamental native tree, shrubs, perennials, and other plants for sale. Hours are Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The Arboretum offers classes to the public in horticulture, ecology, and natural history throughout the year. Grounds are open daily, except Thanksgiving and Christmas. The Visitor's Center is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 4 p.m.The Arboretum was originally established in 1972 to be the Maryland state arboretum on the grounds of Tuckahoe State Park. It first opened in the 1980s as a result of a major donation from Leon Andrus, a native of Queen Anne's County. The Arboretum derives its name from the Adkins family, an Eastern Shore family of conservationists who were friends with Andrus. When Andrus died in 1989, he left a bequest to the Arboretum's endowment.Its original mission was to display all of Maryland's forest types; however, in the 1990s, its mission was revised to emphasize the display and study of the Delmarva Peninsula's indigenous plant communities. In 1998, its operations were converted to a public/private partnership, with Maryland granting a 50-year lease to the Friends of Adkins Arboretum. The arboretum is supported by grants and donations.Adkins Arboretum features over 600 species of native shrubs, trees, wildflowers and grasses, and contains five miles of paths through meadows and native plant gardens on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.
Lexington Market is a historic market in downtown Baltimore, Maryland, United States. The main market is housed in two large buildings on the north corners of the intersection of Paca and Lexington Streets. In the broader sense, Lexington Market encompasses both the main market and all of the shops on Lexington Street from Greene Street to Liberty Street.
The main market buildings are host to small eateries and stands selling fish, produce, meat, baked goods, and candy.
Lexington Market is located near the Baltimore Light Rail and Baltimore Metro Subway stops of the same name. It is about six blocks from Oriole Park at Camden Yards.
Lexington Market is one of the longest-running markets in the world, having been around since 1789. The market continues to stand in its original site. The land for this historical market was donated by General John Eager Howard, famous colonial Revolutionary War commander of Maryland Line regiment of Continental Army. from his estate "Belvedere" (also known as "Howard's Woods) west and north of Baltimore Town. The market originally operated without sheds and stalls. Farmers would load up their horse drawn wagons with ham, butter, eggs and produce. The farmers would travel from Towson and Reisterstown to sell their goods at the market. They would usually start work by dawn.
In 1803 the market had increased in size. The market now spread from Eutaw Street down to Lexington Street. It would later spread over to Greene Street. In the beginning the market was open on Tuesdays, Friday and Saturday from 2am until 12noon. A bell would ring at the start of the day and at the end of the day. Before being called Lexington Market it was known as Western Precincts Market.
The Contemporary is an itinerant museum of contemporary art in Baltimore, Maryland, in the United States. It does not collect artworks. It was started as the Contemporary Museum by George Ciscle in 1989. During its first decade, it had no fixed home, but instead was "dedicated to redefining the concept of the museum". It sponsored exhibitions in a variety of non-traditional spaces around Baltimore, as well as borrowing space in partnering institutions such as the Baltimore Museum of Art, Maryland Historical Society, Peabody Conservatory and Walters Art Museum.In 1999, the Contemporary Museum moved to 100 W. Centre Street, one block from the Walters, in the Mount Vernon neighborhood of downtown Baltimore, where it organized exhibitions and related programming for nearly ten years. In 2011, the museum moved out of the W. Centre Street space and organized projects in neighboring institutions and buildings.
The museum suspended operations in 2012, but in September 2013 announced that it would re-open under a new name, The Contemporary, after a year spent "reimagining the organization's mission, vision and operating structure".
Halethorpe is a passenger rail station located in the unincorporated community of Halethorpe, Maryland on the Northeast Corridor. MARC Penn Line trains serve the station; Amtrak trains pass through but do not stop.Halethorpe station is located along Southwestern Boulevard (US 1) beneath a bridge for Francis Avenue, which also contains a staircase leading between the station and the bridge. A long parking lot between US 1 and the railroad tracks spans from north of the Washington Boulevard interchange to south of Tom Day Boulevard. South of Halethorpe, the Penn Line crosses under the MARC Camden Line east of the St. Denis station. The vicinity is considered an excellent spot for railfanning due to its proximity to Baltimore and its location at a point that sees CSX Capital Subdivision, Baltimore Terminal Subdivision, and Old Main Line Subdivision freight traffic.The station serves the University of Maryland Baltimore County two miles away. UMBC's Halethorpe/Satellite Transit Line provides a bus connection from the campus to the station. Additional communities include Arbutus, Catonsville, and Violetville.
The Inner Harbor is a historic seaport, tourist attraction, and landmark of the city of Baltimore, Maryland. It was described by the Urban Land Institute in 2009 as "the model for post-industrial waterfront redevelopment around the world". The Inner Harbor is located at the mouth of Jones Falls, creating the wide and short northwest branch of the Patapsco River. The district includes any water west of a line drawn between the foot of President Street and the American Visionary Art Museum.
The name "Inner Harbor" is used not just for the water but for the surrounding area of the city, with approximate street boundaries of President Street to the east, Lombard Street to the north, Greene Street to the west, and Key Highway on the south. The harbor is within walking distance of Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium. A water taxi connects passengers to Fells Point, Canton, and Fort McHenry.
The Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall, often referred to simply as the Meyerhoff, is a music venue that opened September 16, 1982, at 1212 Cathedral Street in the Mount Vernon neighborhood of Baltimore, Maryland, United States. The main auditorium has a seating capacity of 2,443 and is home to the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. It is named for Joseph Meyerhoff, a Ukrainian-Jewish Baltimore businessman, philanthropist, and arts patron who served as president of the Baltimore Symphony from 1965 to 1983.
Charles Sumner Post #25, Grand Army of the Republic is a historic fraternal lodge building located in Chestertown, Kent County, Maryland. Named after Charles Sumner, it was constructed as a meeting hall about 1908 and is a two-story gable-front frame building, built on brick piers, with a rectangular floor plan. It is located in the Scotts Point area, a historically black area within the Chestertown Historic District, and was abandoned between 1985 and 2002. It is one of only two Grand Army of the Republic halls for African-American veterans known to survive in the Nation.It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005. In 2012, Preservation Maryland placed the Charles Sumner Post #25 on its list of threatened historic properties.The building has been restored by the Kent County Arts Council and opened to the public in 2014 as a museum of American Civil War history and the role of African-Americans in the war.
The James and Anne Robinson Nature Center is a nature education facility situated on 18 acres of park land adjacent to the Middle Patuxent Environmental Area. Geothermal heating/air-conditioning, porous paving, solar panels, water conservation methods and other features make this building environmentally-friendly and have earned it the LEED Certified Platinum designation. Each year, the Center runs over 450 programs including field trips, public programs, birthday parties, home school and scout programs. James and Anne Robinson cared for the property for decades and kept it from being used by developers, ultimately arranging transfer to Howard County, Maryland for enjoyment by the general public. The Center continues to be partially supported by the James & Anne Robinson Foundation and is owned and operated by the Howard County Department of Recreation & Parks.
The Center for Art, Design and Visual Culture (CADVC) was established in 1989 as the Fine Art Gallery at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. The center is the university's prime exhibition location where students, professors, staff and the public can experience visual culture along with cultural and aesthetic issues. CADVC is a non-profit organization that also publishes media related to the arts.
The center includes a traveling exhibition program that features work from prominent museums such as the Andy Warhol Museum, New Museum of Contemporary Art, and the International Center of Photography. Other programs include a publication program, a k-12 educational outreach program with Baltimore City and Baltimore County, a campus education initiative, and the UMBC Sculpture Park and Outreach Program.CADVC also administers the Joseph Beuys Sculpture Park on the UMBC campus.
The Belair Stable Museum is located at 2835 Belair Drive in Bowie, Maryland. It is operated by the City of Bowie, Maryland. The building once housed the Belair Stud Farm until 1957 when the Woodward family sold the Belair Estate to Levitt & Sons for the construction of Belair at Bowie.
This U-shaped sandstone equine stable was built in 1907 for James T. Woodward, then owner of the Belair Mansion. The elaborate stable building reflects Belair's long and distinguished association with thoroughbred horse racing and breeding.The stable sits on 2 acres (8,100 m2) located about 1000 feet northeast of the Belair Mansion. Once part of the large estate, the stable building is now surrounded by residential development. The building itself is a U-shaped structure with a 1 1⁄2-story main block and single-story flanking wings, forming an open exercise yard to the center.
The Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum is located in St.
Michaels, Maryland, United States and is home to a collection of Chesapeake Bay artifacts, exhibitions, and vessels. This 18-acre (73,000 m2) interactive museum was founded in 1965 on Navy Point, once a site of seafood packing houses, docks, and work boats. Today, the Museum houses the world's largest collection of Chesapeake Bay boats and provides interactive exhibits in and around the 35 buildings which dot the campus. The Museum also offers year-round educational seminars and workshops.
The Modell Performing Arts Center (originally The Music Hall and formerly the Lyric Opera House) is a music venue in Baltimore, Maryland, United States, located close to the University of Baltimore. The building was modeled after the Concertgebouw concert hall in Amsterdam, and it was inaugurated on 31 October 1894 with a performance by the Boston Symphony Orchestra and Australian opera singer Nellie Melba as the featured soloist. Beginning 1904, it was also used for touring performances by the Metropolitan Opera, and from 1950, it was the home of the Baltimore Opera Company until the company's liquidation in 2009.The Lyric has been the home of the Lyric Opera Baltimore company since 2011. It was founded after the demise of Baltimore Lyric Opera.
Federal Hill Park is a 10.3 acres park located in Baltimore, Maryland on the south shore of the Inner Harbor. The park is a signature Baltimore landmark and offers visitors some of the most noted views in the city often photographed looking north to the downtown skyline of skyscrapers across the Inner Harbor (formerly known as "The Basin") of the Northwest Branch of the Patapsco River / Baltimore Harbor. The Federal Hill surrounding neighborhood to the west and south is named for the prominent hill and is also known as old South Baltimore. The now graded grass lawn hill and park, was originally a jagged cliffs and bluffs of red clay which was mined in the 18th and 19th centuries after being first sighted and described by Captain John Smith of England on his voyages of exploration of the Chesapeake Bay from the first English colony at Jamestown, Virginia in 1608. The noted famous site today is bounded by Francis Scott Key Highway (Key Highway / Maryland Route 2) along the waterfront to the north, Battery Avenue to the west, Warren Avenue to the south, and Covington Street to the east. Baltimore city acquired the hill as public property in 1880 after it was used and fortified as a fort with heavy artillery (Fort Federal Hill) by the Union Army during the American Civil War (1861-1865). It was established then as a city park operated and maintained by the city Department of Recreation and Parks.
Carroll Park is a nearly 117-acre (47 ha) public park located in the historic Washington Village-Pigtown neighborhood in southwestern Baltimore, Maryland. The park is bordered by Washington Boulevard to the south, Monroe Street to the west, Bayard Street to the east, and the Mount Clare Branch of the Baltimore Terminal Subdivision railroad to the north. The park also extends westward beyond the Montgomery Ward Warehouse and Retail Store to include the Carroll Park Golf Course.
Emerson Tower often referenced as Emerson Bromo-Seltzer Tower or the Bromo Tower is a 15-story, landmark 88 m (289 ft) clock tower erected in 1907-1911 at 21 South Eutaw Street, at the northeast corner of Eutaw and West Lombard Streets in downtown Baltimore, Maryland. It was the tallest building in the city from 1911 to 1923, until supplanted by the Citizens National Bank building (later First National Bank of Maryland, then occupied by MECU - Municipal Employees Credit Union) at the southeast corner of Light and Redwood (German) Streets. It was designed by local architect Joseph Evans Sperry (1854-1930) for Bromo-Seltzer (headache pain remedy) inventor Isaac Edward Emerson (1859-1931).For years it was surrounded by and part of the Emerson Drug Company with its office headquarters and manufacturing plant for the carbonated headache pain relief tablets or powder Bromo-Seltzer. Later the Emerson building around it was razed and replaced by the current John Steadman Fire Station of the Baltimore City Fire Department for serving the west side of downtown Baltimore. The Steadman Station combined several earlier engine and truck companies in different firehouses on the downtown west side. Built in the Brutalist architecture style of poured concrete, the station has lines echoing the surviving tower to its south and west.
The Union Soldiers and Sailors Monument is a figural group sculpted by Adolph Alexander Weinman atop a pedestal designed by architect Albert Randolph Ross in Baltimore, United States, commemorating the Union military personnel of the American Civil War. The figural group shows Bellona and the personification of Victory together with a citizen-soldier turning from his plow and anvil as he dons a uniform and sword belt. Behind Bellona there is also a fig tree. The entire group stands on 12-foot high granite base, which has two relief panels. The monument's dimensions are approximately 10 ft.x102 in.x150 in. (sculpture) and 139x102x150 in. (base).
The monument is the only public Civil War monument honoring Union military personnel in Baltimore.
The Lloyd Street Synagogue is an 1845 Greek Revival style synagogue building in Baltimore, Maryland. One of the oldest synagogues in the United States, Lloyd Street was the first synagogue building erected in Maryland and is the third oldest synagogue building still standing in the United States. Lloyd Street is now owned by the Jewish Museum of Maryland and is open to the public as a museum in the Inner Harbor area of Baltimore. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Six Flags America is a theme park located in Woodmore CDP, Prince George's County, Maryland, near Upper Marlboro, and in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
Founded as a wildlife center in 1973 by Ross Perot, ABC television operated the park as a drive-through safari called The Largo Wildlife Preserve beginning in 1974 until its closure in 1978. The property was bought by Jim Fowler's Wild Kingdom; thereafter the site was converted from a wildlife preserve into a theme park named Wild World gradually over the years. In 1992, the park was renamed Adventure World after being acquired by Premier Parks, and ultimately was branded as the 10th Six Flags park when Premier Parks acquired Six Flags Inc. and adopted its name in 1999. The "America" in the park's name was chosen regarding the close proximity to the United States' capital.
Wisconsin Avenue is a major thoroughfare in Washington, D.C., and its Maryland suburbs. The southern terminus begins in Georgetown just north of the Potomac River, at an intersection with K Street under the elevated Whitehurst Freeway. The section of Wisconsin Avenue in Georgetown was called High Street before the street names in Georgetown were changed in 1895 to conform to those of the L'Enfant plan for the federal city (although Georgetown predates the planned capital by half a century).
West Baltimore is a regional rail station located in the western part of the City of Baltimore, Maryland along the Northeast Corridor and is served by MARC Penn Line trains. It is positioned on an elevated grade above and between the nearby parallel West Mulberry and West Franklin Streets (U.S. Route 40) at 400 North Smallwood Street. Three large surface lots are available for commuters. The station is not handicapped accessible, with four low-level side platforms next to the outer tracks, but MTA Maryland plans to later renovate the outdoor station with accessible platforms and entrances.
The Morris A. Mechanic Theatre was a playhouse at 1 South Charles Street that was part of the Charles Center of Baltimore, Maryland. The theatre was built by and named for owner Morris A. Mechanic who operated a number of theatres in the city such as the Stanton, Fords Grand Opera House, The Centre, The Century/Valencia Theatres, all of which have since been demolished except for the Centre which has been restored and used as classroom space for Maryland Institute College Of Art and Johns Hopkins University Film Class. The Mechanic theatre was demolished in 2014.
The Earl and Darielle Linehan Concert Hall, previously known as the UMBC Concert Hall is the main theater of the University of Maryland, Baltimore County campus in Baltimore, Maryland. The theater is located in the Performing Arts and Humanities Building, the university's home for Ancient Studies, Dance, English, Music, Philosophy, and Theatre departments. The theater is the designated concert hall for the university's symphony orchestra and other ensembles.Construction began in 2012 and was completed in the fall of 2014. The concert hall provides space for an orchestra, stage, and seating up to 375 individuals.
The Fire Museum of Maryland, founded in 1971, is located in Lutherville, Maryland near Baltimore, Maryland. With a collection of over forty pieces of firefighting apparatus, the Fire Museum of Maryland explains and interprets the history of the urban fire service in the U.S. for visitors and through school programming. The museum began as the private collection of the Stephen G. Heaver family collected over forty years.The museum holds an annual "Lantern Night" program where docents and museum staff tell stories from the Battle of Baltimore and the War of 1812 while dressed in period clothing.
The National Slavic Museum in Fell's Point, Baltimore is a museum dedicated to the documentation of the Polish and Slavic heritage of Baltimore, including Baltimore's Belarusian, Bulgarian, Carpatho-Rusyn, Croatian, Czech, Lemko, Moravian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovene, and Ukrainian heritage.
The Latvian Museum in Rockville, Maryland has as its mission the preservation and communication of Latvian history and culture and the history of Latvians in the United States. The Museum is housed in facilities that include the national headquarters of the American Latvian Association as well as the Latvian Evangelical Lutheran church and Latvian Saturday school which serve the Latvian American community in the greater Washington D.C. area.
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra is an American symphony orchestra based in Baltimore, Maryland. The Baltimore SO has its principal residence at the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall, where it performs more than 130 concerts a year. In 2005, it began regular performances at the Music Center at Strathmore in Bethesda.
Marin Alsop is the Baltimore SO's current music director since 2007, the first female conductor in the post.
The Macedonian Monument is on the campus of the United States Naval Academy, across the street from Mahan Hall, at the end of Stribling Walk. The monument's sculpture is the figurehead of HMS Macedonian, captured by Stephen Decatur and the American frigate United States in the opening days of the War of 1812. Also known as Alexander the Great and the Figurehead of Hans Macedonian, the wooden sculpture dates to circa 1810. It came to the Academy in 1875.
Martin State Airport, also referred to as Martin Airport, is a passenger rail station on the Northeast Corridor serving Martin State Airport in the unincorporated community of Middle River, Maryland. It is located in between the Aberdeen and Baltimore stations. It is served by the MARC Penn Line; Amtrak trains pass through the station without stopping.
The Hammond–Harwood House is a historic house museum at 19 Maryland Avenue in Annapolis, Maryland, USA. Built in 1774, is one of the premier colonial houses remaining in America from the British colonial period (1607–1776). It is the only existing work of colonial academic architecture that was principally designed from a plate in Andrea Palladio's I Quattro Libri dell'Architettura (The Four Books of Architecture) (1570). The house was designed by the architect William Buckland in 1773–1774 for wealthy farmer Matthias Hammond of Anne Arundel County, Maryland. It was modeled on the design of the Villa Pisani in Montagnana, Italy, as depicted in Book II, Chapter XIV of Palladio's work. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960, and is now managed by a non-profit organization as a museum.
Schifferstadt, Also known as Scheifferstadt, is the oldest standing house in Frederick, Maryland. Built in 1758, it is one of the nation's finest examples of German-Georgian colonial architecture. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2016.
Baltimore Museum of Industry is a museum in Baltimore, Maryland, United States. Located in an old cannery, the museum has exhibits on various types of manufacturing and industry from the early 20th century. There are several hands-on sections with working equipment and other artifacts.
Mother Seton House is a historic home located on the grounds of St. Mary’s Seminary at Baltimore, Maryland, United States. It is a 2 1⁄2-story red brick house, similar to other small homes built in the early 19th century for the predominantly French community nearby. It was built in 1808 as the home of Elizabeth Ann Seton (1774–1821), the first American-born woman beatified and canonized by the Roman Catholic Church. In the 1960s it was restored to its original appearance through the efforts of a committee, which continues to operate the home as a museum. Mother Seton House is located adjacent to the St. Mary's Seminary Chapel.
In 1972, Mother Seton House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Government House, also known as the Governor's Mansion, is the official residence of the Governor of Maryland. It is located on State Circle in Annapolis, Maryland, adjacent to the Maryland State House complex. The mansion has been the home of the Governor since 1870; before that, from 1777 until 1870, Jennings House was the residence of the Governors of Maryland.Government House was designed by Baltimore architect R. Snowden Andrews (1830–1903). Originally designed in the fashion of the time, with a Mansard roof and Italianate arched windows. the mansion was converted in 1935–36 to its present Georgian style.
The Jewish Museum of Maryland is located in Baltimore, Maryland, United States. The museum tells the story of the American Jewish experience in the city of Baltimore and throughout the US state of Maryland.
Navy Bill is a sculpture of the United States Naval Academy's mascot, Bill the Goat, a billy goat. It was designed by Clemente Spampinato in 1956, and presented to the Academy in 1957. Until 2010, the sculpture stood just inside Gate 1 to the Academy. Following a five-year refurbishment underwritten by the Class of 1965, the statue was returned to Gate 1. A second statue commissioned by the Class of 1965 was placed in the north end zone of Navy–Marine Corps Memorial Stadium on 9 June 2015. It was rededicated 24 October 2015. Navy Bill has the alternate name of Goat Mascot.
Riverview Park was an early amusement park in Baltimore, Maryland, located off Broening Parkway in the area known as Point Breeze. The park began operating in 1890 and featured a roller coaster, water attractions, and live shows and concerts.Future ragtime legends Eubie Blake and Noble Sissle met, and began their songwriting partnership, while working at Riverview Park.The park closed in 1929, and the property was sold at auction to Western Electric, who constructed a plant on the site. The area was later redeveloped for other industrial use; no known artifacts are believed to survive.
The Martins Pond Archeological Site is an archaeological site near Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. It is a Middle-Late Woodland period site, with lithic, floral, and faunal remains.It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
The National Capital Radio & Television Museum, located in Bowie, Maryland, was established to educate the public on the development and history of electronic media while exhibiting a collection of radio and television technology from the past.
The Francis Scott Key Monument is an outdoor sculpture to Francis Scott Key in Baltimore, Maryland.
Hammerjacks Concert Hall and Nightclub was a music venue in downtown Baltimore through the 1980s and into the 1990s, owned by Louis J. Principio III. The club attracted many big-name national acts, but also showcased many rising stars in the music world. The bands ranged from punk, glam, and heavy metal acts most commonly associated with the venue (e.g., Guns N' Roses, Kix, Ratt, Skid Row or Extreme) to pop (e.g., Badfinger) and alternative rock groups (e.g., Goo Goo Dolls). The club was often frequented by hard core patrons and musicians donning big hair, leather, lace, spandex, and heavy makeup, and was considered a "hard rock shrine." Hammerjacks, however, attracted audiences with other attire as well.Hammerjacks initially operated from a converted rowhouse on the 1000 block of S. Charles St, then moved to an old brewery building at 1101 S. Howard St in 1982. The building was torn down on June 12, 1997 to make way for an M&T Bank Stadium parking lot. Hammerjacks was billed as "The largest nightclub on the east coast."
In 2000, Hammerjacks reopened at 316-318 Guilford Ave, which had formerly been used as a car wash. It was then put under new management in 2004, and closed in 2006.
Harborplace is a shopping complex on the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, Maryland.
The Carroll Mansion (also known as the Carroll-Caton House or Carroll Mansion Museum) is a historic building and museum located in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Jessup is a passenger rail station on the MARC Camden Line between Washington, DC and Baltimore's Camden Station. It was built on 8 Old Jessup Road, east of the embankment of the Jessup Road bridge over the Camden Line, a former Baltimore and Ohio Railroad line.
Mount Vernon station is a Baltimore Light Rail station in Baltimore, Maryland. It is located in the Mount Vernon neighborhood. Established as Centre Street station at its opening, it has since been changed to Mount Vernon station to reflect its closest neighborhood to the east during the rebranding of BaltimoreLink.
BWI Airport Station is an intermodal passenger station in Linthicum, Maryland near Baltimore–Washington International Airport (BWI). It is served by Amtrak Northeast Corridor intercity trains, MARC Penn Line regional rail trains, and several local bus lines.
Located just over a mile from the airport's terminal, the station was the first intercity rail station in the United States built to service an airport. A free shuttle bus runs between the station and the airport terminal at all hours.Although Penn Station is the Baltimore area's main intercity station, BWI Airport is a major station in its own right. It is Amtrak's sixth-busiest station in the Mid-Atlantic region (behind New York Penn, Washington, Philadelphia, Baltimore Penn and Albany-Rensselaer), the third-busiest in the Baltimore-Washington corridor, and the 12th busiest nationwide. Located roughly halfway between Baltimore and Washington, it provides an additional option for Amtrak riders traveling to both cities.
Bowie State is a regional rail station on the Northeast Corridor, located adjacent to the campus of Bowie State University in Bowie, Maryland. It is served by MARC Penn Line commuter rail trains. The station is located on a three-track section of the Northeast Corridor, with two side platforms next to the outer tracks.
Ellicott City Historic District is a national historic district in Ellicott City, Howard County, Maryland. The Ellicott City Station is a National Historic Landmark located within the district. The district encompasses a predominantly 19th century mill town whose origins date to 1772, including more than 200 18th- and 19th-century buildings. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The 2016 Maryland flood severely impacted the historic district on July 30, 2016, as did another flood on May 27, 2018. It includes the Saint Paul Catholic Church, a church where Babe Ruth got married.
Cabin John is a census-designated place and an unincorporated area in Montgomery County, Maryland, United States.
Savage is a passenger rail station on the MARC Camden Line between Union Station and Baltimore's Camden Station. It is officially located at 9009 Dorsey Run Road in Savage, Maryland, however Dorsey Run Road runs over the railroad tracks as well as Brock Bridge Road, which runs along the south side of the tracks and is a street-level with the station. The station straddles the line between Howard County and Anne Arundel County, with the southbound platform and parking garage located in Howard County and the northbound platform in Anne Arundel County.
Savage Station runs along the former Baltimore and Ohio Railroad's Capital Subdivision, which is now owned by CSX. It is also near the former Annapolis Junction which included a former Baltimore and Annapolis Railroad line.
Wheaton is a census-designated place in Montgomery County, Maryland, United States, situated north of Washington, D.C. and northwest of Silver Spring. Wheaton takes its name from Frank Wheaton (1833–1903), a career officer in the United States Army and volunteer from Rhode Island in the Union Army who rose to the rank of major-general while serving before, during and after the Civil War.
Wheaton was split into its own CDP by the United States Census Bureau for the 2010 Census, which found its population to be 48,284.
The United States Postal Service has assigned ZIP code 20902 to Wheaton, but the Wheaton Post Office is part of the Silver Spring area. Downtown Wheaton is located around the triangle formed by Veirs Mill Road, University Boulevard, and Georgia Avenue.
Boyds is a passenger rail station on the MARC Brunswick Line in Boyds, Maryland, with direct service to Washington, D.C. and Martinsburg, WV (with an extension to Frederick, MD). The station is located west of a bridge over the MD 117-121 multiplex. Parking is available only on the south side of the tracks.
Boyds station includes a 1931-built pedestrian tunnel originally built by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.
Patapsco station is a Baltimore Light Rail station in Halethorpe, Maryland. The stop is located along Patapsco Avenue from which its name is derived. The station serves as a hub for several MTA bus routes. Patapsco was the final stop along the line for a period from September 1992 until April 1993, when the line was extended to Linthicum.
The station has 216 spaces for commuters, some of that allow for overnight parking. Patapasco station was the original northern terminus of the Baltimore and Annapolis Railroad, which connected to the Curtis Bay Branch of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.
Bus routes 14, 17, 51, and 77 lay over at the station. Route 16 also passes through the station in both directions along its route.
Baltimore Highlands station is a Baltimore Light Rail stop in Halethorpe, Maryland. There are currently 50 free parking spaces. There are no bus connections at this station.The Baltimore Highlands stop currently does not have any bus lines operating directly around the station, though buses do operate on Annapolis Road nearby. When the station opened in 1993, it was served by Route 30, but complaints from area residents forced buses to be diverted to the nearby Patapsco stop, where they operate today.
The stop is located on Baltimore Street between Florida and Georgia Avenues, north of the site of the former Baltimore and Annapolis Railroad station between Georgia and Illinois Avenues, which was across from the Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis Electric Railroad station. It is also located near a model airplane club called the South West Area Park model air flying field.
Towson University (TU or Towson) is a public university in Towson, Maryland. Founded in 1866 as Maryland's first training school for teachers, Towson University is a part of the University System of Maryland. Since founding, the university has evolved into eight subsidiary colleges and over 20,000 students. Towson is one of the largest public universities in Maryland and still produces the most teachers of any university in the state.
The Homewood Museum is a historical museum located on the Johns Hopkins University campus in Baltimore, Maryland. It was listed as a National Historic Landmark in 1971, noted as a family home of Maryland's Carroll family. It, along with Evergreen Museum & Library, make up the Johns Hopkins University Museums.
Hampton National Historic Site, in the Hampton area north of Towson, Baltimore County, Maryland, USA, preserves a remnant of a vast 18th-century estate, including a Georgian manor house, gardens, grounds, and the original stone slave quarters. The estate was owned by the Ridgely family for seven generations, from 1745 to 1948. The Hampton Mansion was the largest private home in America when it was completed in 1790 and today is considered to be one of the finest examples of Georgian architecture in the U.S. Its furnishings, together with the estate's slave quarters and other preserved structures, provide insight into the life of late 18th-century and early 19th-century landowning aristocracy. In 1948, Hampton was the first site selected as a National Historical Site for its architectural significance by the U.S. National Park Service. The grounds were widely admired in the 19th century for their elaborate parterres or formal gardens, which have been restored to resemble their appearance during the 1820s. Several trees are more than 200 years old. In addition to the mansion and grounds, visitors may tour the overseer's house and slave quarters, one of the few plantations having its original slave quarters surviving to the present day.