city in New York, USA
Wikimedia Commons category: Niagara Falls, New York
English Niagara Falls, New York
Niagara Falls ( ny-AG-ər-ə) is a city in Niagara County, New York, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 50,193, down from the 55,593 recorded in the 2000 census. It is adjacent to the Niagara River, across from the city of Niagara Falls, Ontario, and named after the famed Niagara Falls which they share. The city is within the Buffalo–Niagara Falls Metropolitan Statistical Area and the Western New York region.
While the city was formerly occupied by Native Americans, Europeans who migrated to the Niagara Falls in the mid-17th century began to open businesses and develop infrastructure. Later in the 18th and 19th centuries, scientists and businessmen began harnessing the power of the Niagara River for electricity and the city began to attract manufacturers and other businesses drawn by the promise of inexpensive hydroelectric power. After the 1960s, however, the city and region witnessed an economic decline, following an attempt at urban renewal under then Mayor Lackey. Consistent with the rest of the Rust Belt as industries left the city, old line affluent families relocated to nearby suburbs and out of town.
Despite the decline in heavy industry, Niagara Falls State Park and the downtown area closest to the falls continue to thrive as a result of tourism. The population, however, has continued to decline from a peak of 102,394 in the 1960s due to the loss of manufacturing jobs in the area.
Source: Niagara Falls, New York
German Niagara Falls (New York)
Niagara Falls [naɪˌæɡ(ə)ɹəˈfɔːlz] ist eine US-amerikanische Stadt im Niagara County des Bundesstaats New York. Sie liegt am Niagara River gegenüber der gleichnamigen kanadischen Stadt Niagara Falls in der Provinz Ontario. Die Stadt hat 50.193 (Volkszählung 2010) Einwohner auf einer Fläche von 43,6 km².
Source: Niagara Falls (New York)
Polish Niagara Falls (Stany Zjednoczone)
Niagara Falls – miasto położone w Stanach Zjednoczonych, stanie Nowy Jork, hrabstwie Niagara, nad Niagarą, która jest naturalną granicą pomiędzy Kanadą i USA oraz bezpośrednio sąsiadującymi ze sobą miastami Niagara Falls w Kanadzie i Niagara Falls w Stanach Zjednoczonych.
Russian Ниагара-Фолс (Нью-Йорк)
Ниага́ра-Фо́лс (Niagara Falls) — американский город в штате Нью-Йорк, названный в честь расположенного рядом Ниагарского водопада. На противоположном берегу реки Ниагары лежит одноимённый канадский город. Города-близнецы соединены арочным Радужным мостом (1941, более ранний обрушился в 1938 г.). Население города — 50 тыс. жит. (2010, в 2000 — 55,5 тыс.).
Source: Ниагара-Фолс (Нью-Йорк)
Ukrainian Ніагара-Фоллс (Нью-Йорк)
Ніагара-Фоллс (англ. Niagara Falls) — місто (англ. city) в США, в окрузі Ніагара штату Нью-Йорк. Населення — 50 193 особи (2010). Назване на честь розташованого поруч Ніагарського водоспаду. На протилежному березі річки Ніагари лежить однойменне канадське місто. Міста-близнюки з'єднані арочним Веселковим мостом.
Source: Ніагара-Фоллс (Нью-Йорк)
cs Niagara Falls (New York)
Niagara Falls je město v okrese Niagara County ve státě New York ve Spojených státech amerických. Město je spojeno se stejnojmenným sousedním městem Niagara Falls, které se nachází na druhém břehu řeky, již v Kanadě
V roce 2010 zde žilo 50 193 obyvatel. S celkovou rozlohou 43,5 km² byla hustota zalidnění 1 527,3 obyvatel na km².
Source: Niagara Falls (New York)
Spanish Niagara Falls (Nueva York)
Niagara Falls fundada en 1892, es una ciudad situada en la orilla este del río Niágara en el condado epónimo, situado en el estado de Nueva York, Estados Unidos de América. En el año 2000 tenía una población de 55,593 habitantes y una densidad poblacional de 1,527.3 personas por km². Niagara Falls es una ciudad fronteriza con Canadá. En ella se encuentran las famosas cataratas del Niágara, que la separan de su ciudad homónima en Ontario.
Source: Niagara Falls (Nueva York)
French Niagara Falls (New York)
Niagara Falls est une ville des États-Unis située dans le comté de Niagara, dans l'État de New York. Selon les données du recensement de 2013, elle comptait 49 468 habitants, soit une baisse régulière depuis le recensement de 1960. La ville comptait alors 102 394 habitants. Elle se trouve au bord de la rivière Niagara. Elle fait partie de l'aire urbaine de Buffalo et fait face à la ville canadienne homonyme.
Source: Niagara Falls (New York)
Italian Niagara Falls (Stati Uniti d'America)
Niagara Falls è un comune (city) degli Stati Uniti d'America della contea di Niagara nello Stato di New York. La popolazione era di 50 193 abitanti al censimento del 2010. La città si estende sulla sponda statunitense del fiume Niagara in corrispondenza delle omonime cascate. Al di là del fiume, in territorio canadese, sorge una città chiamata anch'essa Niagara Falls. Le due città omonime sono collegate dal "Ponte dell'arcobaleno" che scavalca il fiume Niagara proprio di fronte alle cascate.
Japanese ナイアガラフォールズ (ニューヨーク州)
Source: ナイアガラフォールズ (ニューヨーク州)
pt Niagara Falls (Nova Iorque)
Niagara Falls (Cataratas do Niágara, em português) é uma cidade localizada no Estado de Nova Iorque, perto da fronteira americana com o Canadá, província de Ontário. Localiza-se no Condado de Niagara. Fica à beira das Cataratas do Niágara, no Rio Niágara. À oeste, a cidade de Niagara Falls, Nova Iorque, conecta-se através de duas pontes com a cidade canadense de Niagara Falls, Ontário. Sua população é de 55 593 habitantes.
Devido à bela paisagem natural proporcionada pelas cataratas onde Niagara Falls está localizada, a principal fonte de renda da cidade é o turismo. A cidade faz parte da região metropolitana de Buffalo.
Source: Niagara Falls (Nova Iorque)
zh 尼亞加拉瀑布城 (紐約州)
尼加拉瀑布城（Niagara Falls, New York）是美國紐約州尼加拉縣的一座城市，位於尼加拉河東岸，與加拿大同名的城市相望。
Source: 尼亞加拉瀑布城 (紐約州)
Places located in Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls is a group of three waterfalls at the southern end of Niagara Gorge, spanning the border between the US state of New York and the Canadian province of Ontario. The largest of the three is Horseshoe Falls, also known as Canadian Falls, which straddles the international border between Canada and the United States. The smaller American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls lie entirely within the United States. Bridal Veil Falls are separated from Horseshoe Falls by Goat Island and from American Falls by Luna Island, with both islands situated in New York as well.
Located on the Niagara River, which drains Lake Erie into Lake Ontario, the combined falls have the highest flow rate of any waterfall in North America that has a vertical drop of more than 50 metres (160 ft). During peak daytime tourist hours, more than 168,000 m3 (six million cubic feet) of water goes over the crest of the falls every minute. Horseshoe Falls is the most powerful waterfall in North America, as measured by flow rate.The falls are 27 kilometres (17 mi) north-northwest of Buffalo, New York, and 121 kilometres (75 mi) south-southeast of Toronto, between the twin cities of Niagara Falls, Ontario, and Niagara Falls, New York. Niagara Falls was formed when glaciers receded at the end of the Wisconsin glaciation (the last ice age), and water from the newly formed Great Lakes carved a path through the Niagara Escarpment en route to the Atlantic Ocean.
Niagara Falls is famed both for its beauty and as a valuable source of hydroelectric power. Balancing recreational, commercial, and industrial uses has been a challenge for the stewards of the falls since the 19th century.
The Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge stood from 1855 to 1897 across the Niagara River and was the world's first working railway suspension bridge. It spanned 825 feet (251 m) and stood 2.5 miles (4.0 km) downstream of Niagara Falls, where it connected Niagara Falls, Ontario to Niagara Falls, New York. Trains used the upper of its two decks, while pedestrians and carriages used the lower. The bridge was the idea of Canadian politicians, and it was built by an American company and a Canadian company. It was most commonly called the Suspension Bridge, although other names included Niagara Railway Suspension Bridge, Niagara Suspension Bridge, and its official American name of the International Suspension Bridge.
The bridge was part of Canadian politician William Hamilton Merritt's vision to promote trade within his country and with its neighbor the United States. Many argued that a suspension bridge could not support the safe passage of trains, including bridge builders. Nonetheless, the bridge companies hired Charles Ellet, Jr., who laid a line by a kite across the 800-foot (240 m) chasm and built a temporary suspension bridge in 1848. Ellet left the project after a financial dispute with the bridge companies, who hired John Augustus Roebling to complete the project. By 1854, his bridge was nearly complete, and the lower deck was opened for pedestrian and carriage travel. On March 18, 1855, a fully laden passenger train officially opened the completed bridge.
The Suspension Bridge was a border crossing between Canada and the United States, and it played significant roles in the histories of the Niagara region and the two countries. Three railway lines crossed over the bridge, connecting cities on both sides of the border. The Great Western Railway, New York Central Railroad, and New York and Erie Rail Road differed in track gauge; the bridge used a triple gauge system to conserve space, overlapping two tracks on top of each other and using a rail of each to form the third track. The railroads brought a large influx of trade and tourists into the region around the Niagara Falls. In the time leading to the American Civil War, the Underground Railroad helped slaves in the United States escape across the Suspension Bridge to freedom in Canada. After the war, the bridge became a symbol of inspiration to Americans, encouraging them to rebuild their country and pushing them to quickly industrialize their nation.
The bridge's success proved that a railway suspension bridge could be safe and operational. Its wooden structures began to decay and were replaced with stronger steel and iron versions by 1886. Heavier trains required it to be replaced by the Steel Arch Bridge, later renamed the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge, on August 27, 1897.
Love Canal is a neighborhood in Niagara Falls, New York, infamous as the location of a 70-acre (28 ha; 0.11 sq mi; 0.28 km2) landfill that became the site of an enormous environmental disaster in the 1970s. Decades of dumping toxic chemicals harmed the health of hundreds of residents; the area was cleaned up over the course of 21 years in a Superfund operation.
In 1890, Love Canal was created as a model planned community, but was only partially developed. In the 1920s, the canal became a dump site for municipal refuse for the city of Niagara Falls. During the 1940s, the canal was purchased by Hooker Chemical Company, which used the site to dump 21,800 short tons (roughly 19,800 t) of chemical byproducts from the manufacturing of dyes, perfumes, and solvents for rubber and synthetic resins.
Love Canal was sold to the local school district in 1953, after the threat of eminent domain. Over the next three decades, it attracted national attention for the public health problem originating from the former dumping of toxic waste on the grounds. This event displaced numerous families, leaving them with longstanding health issues and symptoms of high white blood cell counts and leukemia. Subsequently, the federal government passed the Superfund law. The resulting Superfund cleanup operation demolished the neighborhood, ending during 2004.
In 1988, New York State Department of Health Commissioner David Axelrod called the Love Canal incident a "national symbol of a failure to exercise a sense of concern for future generations". The Love Canal incident was especially significant as a situation where the inhabitants "overflowed into the wastes instead of the other way around". The University at Buffalo Archives house a number of primary documents, photographs, and news clippings pertaining to the Love Canal environmental disaster; many items have been digitized and are viewable online.
Terrapin Point (formerly Terrapin Rocks) is an observation area located in Niagara Falls, New York at the western tip of Goat Island, next to the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. It is one of two major observation areas to overlook the falls and lower Niagara Gorge on the New York side, the other being Prospect Point further downriver.
Before the second half of the 20th century Terrapin Point was a group of rocks on the brink of the falls, disconnected from Goat Island. They were known as the Terrapin Rocks because they resembled giant tortoises.In 1827, the then owners of the land on the American side, brothers Peter and Augustes Porter, built a 300-foot wooden bridge from Goat Island to just off the edge of the falls. In 1833, they added a lighthouse-like building, Terrapin Tower, to this viewpoint. Its height is estimated at 30 to 45 feet, its diameter at 12 feet. A spiral staircase inside allowed visitors to reach a viewing platform. Although the tower quickly attracted many visitors, there were also critical voices that found it disturbing in view of the beauty of the waterfalls. In 1873 the Porter brothers lost interest in the Terrapin Tower and blew it up. The bridge lasted longer. It can still be seen in photos from 1934. By 1954, however, it had also disappeared.While work was being carried out on the dredging of the upper Niagara River in 1953 to spread the flow of water more evenly along the crest of the Horseshoe Falls, dirt and fill from the dredging was taken over to Terrapin Point, increasing its area and affording visitors views of the cataract not seen before. This area was closed to tourists in 1969, however, due to cracks being found in the rock foundation.
Terrapin Point was closed to visitors after 1969 when a large crack in the rock was discovered. In 1983 the United States Army Corps of Engineers blasted away 25,000 tons of unstable rock, added more landfill, and built diversion dams and retaining walls to force the water away from Terrapin Point. Altogether 400 feet (120 m) of the Horseshoe Falls was eliminated, including 100 feet (30 m) on the Canadian side. According to author Ginger Strand, the Horseshoe Falls is now entirely in Canada. Other sources say "most of" Horseshoe Falls is in Canada. The remaining surface was scaled, and reopened to tourists in September 1983.
It was off Terrapin Point that daredevil Nik Wallenda began his high-wire walk over the Falls in June 2012. Wallenda was the first to walk a high-wire directly over the brink of the Falls.
The Cave of the Winds was a natural cave behind Bridal Veil Falls at the Niagara Falls. The cave was some 130 feet (40 m) high, 100 feet (30 m) wide and 30 feet (9 m) in depth. It was discovered in 1834, and originally dubbed Aeolus's Cave, after the Greek god of winds.Guided tours began officially in 1841, through Goat Island and descending down a staircase closer to the falls, into the cave. A rock fall closed the tour in 1920. It officially reopened in 1924, bringing visitors to the front of the Bridal Veil instead of behind it, on a series of decks and walkways. Tropical storm-like conditions can be experienced, as winds can reach up to 68 mph underneath the falls. The cave was obliterated in a massive 1954 rockfall and subsequent dynamiting of a dangerous overhang.
The American Falls is the second-largest of the three waterfalls that together are known as Niagara Falls on the Niagara River along the Canada–U.S. border. Unlike the much larger Horseshoe Falls, of which approximately 90% is in Ontario, Canada and 10% in the U.S. state of New York, the American Falls is entirely within the United States.
Niagara Falls State Park is a state park in the City of Niagara Falls in Niagara County, New York, United States. The park, recognized as the oldest state park in the United States, contains the American Falls, the Bridal Veil Falls, and a portion of the Horseshoe Falls (also known as the Canadian Falls).
The Prospect Point Observation Tower (also known as the Niagara Falls Observation Tower) is a tower in Niagara Falls, New York, United States just east of the American Falls.
The Aquarium of Niagara is a non-profit public aquarium dedicated to education and conservation of aquatic life. Originally privately owned and founded by a group of chemists and other scientists, it opened on June 12, 1965. Ownership was transferred to a non-profit foundation, the Sea Research Foundation, in 1977, and then to the Niagara Aquarium Foundation in 1994. The Aquarium is located in downtown Niagara Falls, New York, near Niagara Falls State Park. The Aquarium features rescued seals and sea lions, Humboldt penguins, sharks, jellyfish, and over 120 species of fish and invertebrates. The Aquarium of Niagara is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums.
The Niagara Aquarium Foundation is governed by a Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees appoints an Executive Director who has immediate charge and control of the administration and operation of the Aquarium. The Aquarium of Niagara is currently under the direction of Gary K. Siddall, who was hired for the role of Executive Director in June 2016.
The Niagara Falls Station and Customhouse Interpretive Center is an intermodal transit complex in Niagara Falls, New York. It serves Amtrak trains and Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority buses, houses U.S. Customs and Border Protection offices servicing the Canada–United States border, and houses the Niagara Falls Underground Railroad Heritage Center.It is the western terminus of Amtrak's Empire Corridor and serves two Empire Service trains in each direction (terminating westbound) and one Maple Leaf in each direction daily. The station also provides a connection to NFTA Route 50 and the Discover Niagara Shuttle buses.
The facility consists of a complex built around the historic U.S. Customhouse, originally designed to service the U.S. side of the Niagara River border crossings from Canada. Completed in July 2016, the facility replaced Amtrak's former Niagara Falls station for passenger rail service on December 6, 2016.
Niagara Falls City Hall is a historic city hall located at Niagara Falls in Niagara County, New York. It was constructed in 1923-1924, in the Beaux-Arts style. The building embodies Neo-Classical Revival architectural details. It features a centrally arranged rectangular form, with a central projecting pavilion, fluted columns with Ionic capitals, and smooth ashlar sandstone walls with pilasters.It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.
The Niagara Science Museum is a science museum established in Niagara Falls, New York in 2009. The museum's mission is to demonstrate the history of scientific discovery through the preservation, restoration, and demonstration of the scientific instruments and technologies. The Niagara Science Museum houses a collection of over 2,000 scientific instruments and technologies dating from the 1700s to the present.
Seneca Niagara Casino & Hotel is a casino in Niagara Falls, New York. It was built by the city to compete with Casino Niagara and Niagara Fallsview Casino Resort in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Formerly known as the Niagara Falls Convention and Civic Center, it was taken over by the federally recognized Seneca Nation of New York.
The casino floor has an area of 147,000 sq ft (13,700 m2) with 99 gaming tables and 4,200 slot machines. It is the largest hotel in New York state outside of Manhattan.
Niagara Falls Convention and Civic Center was a 10,000-seat multi-purpose arena and convention center in Niagara Falls, New York from 1973 to 2002.
Fallsville Splash Park was a water park located in Niagara Falls, New York. It was adjacent to the former Niagara Falls Convention Center.
Buckhorn Island State Park is an 895-acre (3.62 km2) state park located in Erie County, New York in the Town of Grand Island. The park is on the northern end of the island of Grand Island.
|named after||Niagara Falls Station and Customhouse Interpretive Center|