Hard Rock Cafe
restaurant in London
Wikimedia Commons category: Hard Rock Cafe, London
English Gloucester House, London
Gloucester House is a building at 137 Piccadilly, London, on the corner of Old Park Lane.
The first house was built early in the reign of George III, and was where Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin briefly exhibited the Parthenon Marbles before selling them to the Crown, who now hold them in the British Museum. It was occupied by Prince William Frederick, Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh from 1816 until his death in 1834, after which it was occupied by Prince George, Duke of Cambridge.
The house was demolished in 1904 following the Duke of Cambridge's death. It was rebuilt as a luxury residence. The first Hard Rock Cafe opened here in 1971.
Source: Gloucester House, London
English Hard Rock Cafe
The original cafe that spawned a global franchise, established in 1971. The food and drinks - burgers, fries and cocktails - are certainly overpriced, but the real stars are the memorabilia items: Elvis Presley's coat, John Lennon's glasses, an antique chair owned by Freddie Mercury, and more famous guitars than Guns 'n' Roses has had members.