Fort Mississauga

File:Fort Mississauga Entrance.jpg

historic British fort in the town of Niagara-on-the-Lake

Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons category: Fort Mississauga

Geographical coordinates: 43.2617 -79.0767

Wikipedia

English Fort Mississauga

Fort Mississauga National Historic Site is a fort on the shore of Lake Ontario, at the mouth of the Niagara River in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada. The fort today consists of a box–shaped brick tower and historic star–shaped earthworks. The all–brick fort was built from 1814–1816 during the War of 1812, to replace nearby Fort George. It was built on a foundation of brick and stone salvaged from rubble left after retreating United States forces burned the nearby town of Niagara (as Niagara-on-the-Lake was known then) in December, 1813. It would help in the defence of Upper Canada the following year, as part of a regional network that included Fort George, Navy Hall, and Butler's Barracks. However, the fort wouldn't be completed until after the war.

Source: Fort Mississauga

French Fort Mississauga

Le fort Mississauga est un ancien fort militaire situé sur la rive du lac Ontario à Niagara-on-the-Lake, non loin de la rivière Niagara.

Construit en 1814 pendant la Guerre anglo-américaine de 1812, il a été reconnu en 1960 en tant que lieu historique national du Canada.

En 1804, un phare avait été érigé sur le site, connu sous le nom de Mississauga Point. L'armée britannique a utilisé le fort de 1813 à 1855, suivie par l'armée canadienne, qui l'a utilisé comme camp d'entrainement.

Source: Fort Mississauga

Wikivoyage

Russian Форт Миссиссога

В ходе войны в декабре 1813 года британская армия захватила форты Джордж и Ниагара, стоявшие на противоположных берегах реки Ниагара. Они сочли, что устье реки недостаточно укреплено, и в 1814 году начали строить форт Миссиссога на берегу озера Онтарио. В отличие от форта Джордж, этот форт был целиком кирпичный. Название форта происходит от индейского народа миссиссогов, жившего тут и до сих пор живущего в южном Онтарио. С 1804 года на этом месте стоял маяк, первый на Великих Озёрах. Для строительства форта маяк снесли, а форт успели построить только к 1816 году, и в войне он тем самым участия не принял. Войска стояли в форте Миссиссога до 1870-х годов, затем он использовался как тренировочный лагерь во время двух мировых войн и во время Корейской войны, после чего был заброшен. Валы форта сохранились и хорошо заметны на местности. Единственное сохранившееся здание — блокгауз. От форта ожно спуститься на берег озера, хотя спуск тут не оборудован и не особенно удобен.

SourceНиагара-он-те-Лейк (ru.wikivoyage.org)
Typesee
Last Edit2019-04-21
arz حصن ميسيسوجاfr fort Mississauga
Image source:
Wikimedia Commons Public domain by Radtek67
Wikidata Updated: Thu Jul 22 2021 07:35:01