Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices State Historic Site

File:Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices State Historic Site.jpg

building in Springfield, Illinois, United States

Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons category: Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices

Geographical coordinates: 39.800278 -89.648056

Wikipedia

English Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices State Historic Site

The Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices State Historic Site is a historic brick building built in 1841 in the U.S. state of Illinois. It is located at 6th and Adams Streets in Springfield, Illinois. The law office has been restored and is operated by the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency as a state historic site.

The office building is a surviving portion of what was the Tinsley Block, a brick structure built by local developer Seth M. Tinsley in 1840–1841 to provide office space for professionals working in the newly chosen state capital city. The Illinois General Assembly had moved the capital from Vandalia, Illinois to Springfield in late 1839, and local workers had begun to build a new limestone state house, now the Old State Capitol State Historic Site, on the parcel of land just north of the Tinsley Block.

Lawyer Abraham Lincoln and his partner Stephen T. Logan moved their partnership law offices to a third-floor office in the Tinsley Block in 1843. The Illinois Supreme Court, where the partners often pleaded cases, met in the State Capitol across the street, and the U.S. District Court rented space on the Tinsley Block's second floor.

The firm of Logan & Lincoln broke up in 1844. Lincoln continued to practice law in the Tinsley Block office and accepted a younger lawyer, William H. Herndon, as his junior partner. The firm of Lincoln and Herndon practiced from the Tinsley Block office from 1844 until about 1852.

Source: Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices State Historic Site

Italian Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices State Historic Site

39°48′01″N 89°38′53″W

Il Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices State Historic Site è un edificio storico in mattoni costruito nel 1841 nello Stato federato dell'Illinois. Si trova al "6° and Adams Streets" a Springfield (Illinois). L'ufficio legale è stato restaurato ed è gestito dalla "Illinois Historic Preservation Division" come sito di rilevanza storica.

L'edificio è una porzione sopravvissuta di quello che era il "Tinsley Block", una struttura in mattoni realizzata dal costruttore locale Seth M. Tinsley nel 1840-1841 per fornire spazi per uffici ai professionisti che lavorano nella nuova capitale statale.

L'Assemblea Generale dell'Illinois vi aveva difatti trasferito la struttura amministrativa da Vandalia (Illinois) verso la fine del 1839 e gli operai locali avevano iniziato a costruire una nuova casa di pietra calcarea, l'odierno Old State Capitol State Historic Site, sulla porzione di terra appena a nord del Tinsley Block.

L'avvocato Abraham Lincoln e il suo socio Stephen T. Logan trasferirono gli uffici del loro partenariato in un ufficio al terzo piano nel Tinsley nel 1843. La Corte Suprema dell'Illinois, dove i partner spesso discutevano i casi loro affidati, si trovava nel Campidoglio (Springfield) dall'altra parte della strada e la Corte distrettuale prese in affitto uno spazio nel secondo piano dello stesso Blocco.

La società di Logan & Lincoln si sciolse nel 1844. Lincoln continuò ad esercitare la professione nell'ufficio di Tinsley Block e accettò un giovane avvocato, William Henry Herndon, inizialmente come suo collaboratore minore. Lo studio legale rimase attivo dal 1844 fino al 1852 circa.

Source: Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices State Historic Site

Wikivoyage

English Lincoln-Herndon Law Office

Featured here is the only surviving structure where Lincoln maintained working law offices. It has been restored and features an historical exhibit on the first floor. Guided tours are available, with a suggested donation. The building is located just a stones throw away from the old state capitol, a great convenience for both Lincoln and the modern traveler.

Websitehttps://www2.illinois.gov/dnrhistoric/Experience/Sites/Central/pages/lincoln-herndon.aspx
Last Edit2018-07-14

German Lincoln-Herndon Law Office

In diesem Gebäude ist das einzig noch erhaltene Büro zu sehen, in dem Lincoln eine funktionierende Anwaltskanzleien unterhielt. Es wurde restauriert und verfügt über eine historische Ausstellung im ersten Stock. Führungen sind mit einer empfohlenen Spende möglich. Das Gebäude befindet sich nur einen Steinwurf vom alten Kapitol entfernt, was sowohl für Lincoln als auch für den modernen Reisenden eine große Bequemlichkeit darstellt.

Directions Sixth and Adams Sts
Typesee
Last Edit2018-07-14
zh 林肯-亨顿律师所州立历史古迹zh-cn 林肯-亨顿律师所州立历史古迹zh-hans 林肯-亨顿律师所州立历史古迹zh-hant 林肯-亨頓律師所州立歷史古蹟
Image source:
Wikimedia Commons CC BY-SA 3.0 by Zol87
Wikidata Updated: Fri Jul 23 2021 11:23:58