Archangels' church in Târgu Jiu

heritage site in Gorj County, Romania

Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons category: Archangels' church in Târgu Jiu

Geographical coordinates: 45.04138611 23.27170389

Wikipedia

English Church of the Holy Archangels, Târgu Jiu

The Church of the Holy Archangels (Romanian: Biserica Sfinții Voievozi) is a Romanian Orthodox church located on Piața Victoriei, Târgu Jiu, Romania. It is dedicated to the Archangels Michael and Gabriel.

The ktetors were the merchants Dobre Sîrbu and Radu Cupetu, whose portraits appear in the vestibule; it is sometimes known as the Merchants’ Church. The cruciform church was built between 1748 and 1764. The church suffered damage during the Russo-Austro-Turkish wars. It was repaired by Wallachian princes Alexander Mourouzis in 1793 and by John Caradja in 1813. For a time, a princely school operated in rooms near the church.The church was initially painted in Byzantine style fresco during the 18th century. In 1843, the iconostasis was painted with support from Pavel Kiselyov. In 1854-1855, the frescoes were painted over in Renaissance style by Mișu Popp, while the spires were lengthened. Repairs, especially of the exterior, took place in 1902 and in 1933-1940.Historian Nicolae Iorga was involved in the latter restoration, suggesting that the spire extensions be removed, the windows narrowed, the facade ledges brought back. The interior paintings were cleaned, while the old exterior frescoes, featuring philosophers and sibyls, were redone by local painter Iosif Keber. Among the figures depicted are Socrates, Aristotle, Pythagoras, Diogenes, Hippocrates and Plutarch. Such subjects are virtually unique for churches in Romania.During the Communist regime, the church stood in front of the local Romanian Communist Party headquarters. As such, it was targeted for demolition, but was saved by vigorous protests from experts. Nevertheless, the church was shut down in 1960 and became a museum in the early 1980s. It reopened as a church on Christmas Eve of 1989, during the Romanian Revolution; further repairs followed. Excavations around the foundation have revealed human bones, suggesting the presence of a cemetery in the past.The church is listed as a historic monument by Romania's Ministry of Culture and Religious Affairs.

Source: Church of the Holy Archangels, Târgu Jiu

Romanian Biserica „Sf. Voievozi” din Târgu Jiu

Biserica „Sf. Voievozi” din Târgu Jiu este un monument istoric aflat pe teritoriul municipiului Târgu Jiu.Biserica "Sfinții Voievozi", aflată în Piața Victoriei, în fața Palatului Comunal, este ctitoria negustorilor Dobre Sîrbu și Radu Cupetu ale căror portrete pot fi văzute în pronaos. Construcția s-a realizat între 1748-1764, imobilul fiind cunoscut și sub numele Biserica Negustorilor, Biserica Domnească și chiar Biserica "de la Jii". Planul bisericii este în formă de cruce. Construcția a suferit de-a lungul timpului mai multe intervenții care nu i-au alterat forma originală. În 1843, cu ajutorul lui Pavel Kisseleff se zugrăvește și înfrumusețează catapeteasma, iar în 1855 pictura în stilul bizantin este acoperită cu pictura în stilul renașterii de către pictorul Mișu Popp.

Source: Biserica „Sf. Voievozi” din Târgu Jiu

Wikivoyage

Russian Церковь Архангелов

Стандартная по архитектуре, но довольно почтенного для Валахии возраста церковь была построена в 1748-1764 годах и сейчас стоит прямо посреди главной площади города. Как полагается, она полностью расписана изнутри и снаружи. Не пропустите с южной (наружной) стороны изображения греческих философов, включая, например, Пифагора и Аристотеля - их, разумеется, нельзя было рисовать как святых, и пришлось представить в виде царей.

Address площадь Революции
Typesee
Last Edit2016-11-08
ro Biserica „Sf. Voievozi” din Târgu Jiu
Wikidata Updated: Thu Jul 22 2021 08:48:21