Epiphany Monastery

File:Church of the Holy Theophany, Moscow, Russia.jpg

Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons category: Bogoyavlensky Monastery

Geographical coordinates: 55.755833 37.623214


English Epiphany Monastery

For the eponymous Kiev monastery, see Brotherhood Monastery

The Epiphany Monastery (Russian: Богоявленский монастырь, Bogoyavlensky monastyr; better translated as "Theophany Monastery") is the oldest male monastery in Moscow, situated in the Kitai gorod, just one block away from the Moscow Kremlin.

According to a legend, it was founded by Daniel, the first prince of Moscow, around 1296. It is also believed that a would-be metropolitan Alexis was one of the monks at this monastery. Stefan, Sergii Radonezhski's older brother, was the first recorded hegumen of this cloister.

The first stone church at the Bogoyavlensky monastery was founded in 1342. In 1382, the monastery was sacked by Tokhtamysh's horde. In 1427, it suffered an outbreak of pestilence. The monastery also survived numerous fires, the most important being recorded in 1547, 1551, 1687 and 1737.

The Epiphany monastery has always been under the patronage of grand princes and tsars. By the order of Ivan the Terrible, the monastery became a collection facility for metayage, quitrent, and fodder. In 1584, the tsar donated a substantial amount of money for the remembrance of the disgraced. In 1632, the Epiphany monastery was granted an exclusive right for tax free floating of a certain amount of building materials and firewood. The monastery had its own stables, forge and rented out its own facilities.

Vasili III, Ivan the Terrible, Boris Godunov, the Romodanovsky boyars, Xenia Repnina, and others donated some of their sizeable estates to the monastery. In 1680-1687, the Epiphany monastery was home to a school of the Likhud brothers, which would later be transferred to the Zaikonospassky monastery and transformed into the famous Slavic Greek Latin Academy.

The now-existing Epiphany cathedral was consecrated in 1696. A splendid specimen of the Muscovite baroque style, it incorporated some notable medieval sepulchres. In the 1690s, they also built cells for monks and abbot's chamber, which would be re-built in the 1880s. In 1739, a belltower was erected. By 1744, the monastery had already owned 216 peasant homesteads and 1014 peasants.

In 1764, monastic real estate was confiscated. Thenceforth monastery's staff rarely included more than 17 monks. In 1788, the Epiphany monastery was proclaimed a residence of the vicarian bishop of the Moscow bishopric. In the late 18th century, the buildings enclosing the monastery were rented out to the haberdashers.

In 1905-1909, they built the so-called dokhodniy dom, or a building with "office space" for rent. By 1907, The Bogoyavlensky monastery had already had 14 monks and 18 novitiates and owned 60 desyatinas of land. It was also receiving an allowance of 1245 rubles from the state treasury.

After the October Revolution, the Epiphany monastery was closed down. In 1929, they stopped holding services in the Bogoyavlensky cathedral. The monastic facilities were first transformed into a campus for students of the Mining Academy and workers, engaged in the subway construction, and later - into metalworks. In the 1950s, they built an office building on the site of the monastery. The cathedral, belltower, monk cells and abbot's chamber were the only buildings to survive. In May, 1991, the Epiphany monastery was restored and officially returned to the Russian Orthodox Church.

Source: Epiphany Monastery

French Monastère de l'Épiphanie de Moscou

Le monastère de l'Épiphanie de Moscou ou monastère de la Théophanie (en russe : Богоявленский монастырь, bogoïavlenski monastyr) est un monastère situé à Kitaï-gorod près du Kremlin.

Portail de l’architecture chrétienne Portail du monachisme Portail de Moscou Portail du christianisme orthodoxe

Source: Monastère de l'Épiphanie de Moscou

Japanese 神現修道院 (モスクワ)

モスクワにある神現修道院(しんげんしゅうどういん、ロシア語: Богоявленский монастырь, ボゴヤヴレンスキイ修道院)は、ロシア正教会の男子修道院。神現祭を記憶している。モスクワでダニイロフ修道院と並んで最古級の修道院である。






Source: 神現修道院 (モスクワ)

Georgian მოსკოვის ნათლისღების მონასტერი

მოსკოვის ნათლისღების მონასტერი (რუს. Богоявленский монастырь) — ყოფილი მამათა მართლმადიდებლური მონასტერი მოსკოვში. ტაძარი დაარსებულია XIV საუკუნეში.

ეკლესია მიეკუთვნება რუსეთის მართლმადიდებელი ეკლესიის მოსკოვის საპატრიარქოს მოსკოვის ეპარქიას.

Source: მოსკოვის ნათლისღების მონასტერი

Dutch Epifanieklooster

Het Epifanieklooster (Russisch: Богоявленский монастырь) of Driekoningenklooster is een Russisch-orthodox klooster voor mannen in Moskou. Het is gelegen in de wijk Kitajgorod, op 5 minuten loopafstand van het Kremlin. Het klooster is een van de oudste kloosters in Moskou en werd gesticht door prins Daniël in het jaar 1296.

Source: Epifanieklooster

Polish Monaster Objawienia Pańskiego w Moskwie

Monaster Objawienia Pańskiego – prawosławny męski klasztor w Moskwie założony w 1296 i działający do 1929. W 1991 Rosyjski Kościół Prawosławny odzyskał jedną z dawnych cerkwi monasterskich, która od tego czasu jest świątynią parafialną, w strukturach dekanatu Iwerskiej Ikony Matki Bożej eparchii moskiewskiej miejskiej.

Source: Monaster Objawienia Pańskiego w Moskwie

Russian Богоявленский монастырь (Москва)

Богоявле́нский монасты́рь — православный мужской монастырь в Москве, расположенный в Богоявленском переулке Китай-города. На английском языке известен как "The Epiphany Monastery". Являлся вторым по древности московским монастырём после Даниловского. Был основан в конце XIII века князем Даниилом Александровичем. В связи с изменением государственного строя обитель формально закрыли в 1919 году и окончательно упразднили в 1929-м. В 1991 году главный храм монастыря вернули Русской православной церкви.

Source: Богоявленский монастырь (Москва)

Serbian Богојављенски манастир (Москва)

Богојављенски манастир (рус. Богоявленский монастырь, Bogoyavlensky monastyr) је најстарији мушки манастир у Москви, који се налази у Китај-городу, који је само један блок удаљен од Московског Кремља.

Према легенди, основао га је Данил Московски, први принц Москве, око 1296. године. Такође се верује да је један од монаха овог манастира био и митрополит Алексије Московски. Стефан, старији брат Сергеја Радоњешка, био је први званични игуман овог манастира.

Прва камена црква у манастиру Богојављенски основана је 1342. Године 1382. Токтамиш и његова хорда су опљачкали манастир. 1427. године манастир је доживео епидемију бубонске куге. Манастир је такође преживио бројне пожаре, а најважнији су били 1547, 1551, 1687 и 1737. године.

Богојављенски манастир је увек био под покровитељством великих кнежева и царева.

Василиј III Иванович, Иван Грозни, Борис Годунов, Ксенија Репнина и други, донирали су манастиру неке своје значајне имовине. У периоду од 1680. до 1687, Богојављенски манастир је био зграда школе браће Лихуд, која је касније била пребачена у Заиконоспаски манастир и трансформисала се у познату словачко-грчку-латинску академију.

Постојећа катедрала Богојављенског манастира је освештена 1696. године. Током 1690-их, изграђене су ћелије за монахе. 1739. године постављена је звоник. До 1744. године манастир је поседовао 216 сељачких кућица у којима је живело 1014 сељака.

Године 1764. конфискована је монашка некретнина. Од тада манастир је имао више од 17 монаха. Године 1788, Богојављенски манастир је проглашен за резиденцију викарског епископа московске бискупије. Крајем 18. века, зграде које се налазе у склопу манастира су изнајмљиване.

У периоду од 1905. до 1909. године изградили су доходни дом, или зграду са "канцеларијским простором" за изнајмљивање. До 1907. Богојављенски манастир је имао 14 монаха и 18 искушеника и поседовао 60 десијатина земље. Такође је примио накнаду од 1245 рубаља из државног трезора.

После Октобарске револуције, Богојављенски манастир је затворен. Године 1929. престали су да одржавају службе у у Богојављенској катедрали. Током педесетих година прошлог века, изграђена је пословна зграда на месту манастира. Катедрала, звоник, монашке ћелије и опатинска комора биле су једине зграде које су опстале. У мају 1991. Богојављенски манастир је обновљен и службено враћен Руској православној цркви.

Source: Богојављенски манастир (Москва)

Ukrainian Богоявленський монастир (Москва)

Богоявленський монастир (рос. Богоявленский монастырь) — колишній православний чоловічий монастир в Москві, в Китай-городі (Богоявленський провулок).

Source: Богоявленський монастир (Москва)

German translation from Russian

Das Bogoyavler-Kloster ist ein orthodoxes Männerkloster in Moskau, das sich in der Egoyavlensky Lane von China City befindet. Im Englischen ist es als „Das Dreikönigskloster“ bekannt. Es war das zweitälteste Moskauer Kloster nach Danilovsky. Es wurde Ende des 13. Jahrhunderts von Prinz Daniel Alexandrowitsch gegründet. Aufgrund der Änderung des staatlichen Systems wurde der Wohnsitz 1919 offiziell geschlossen und 1929 endgültig abgeschafft. Im Jahr 1991 wurde die Hauptkirche des Klosters in die Russisch-Orthodoxe Kirche zurückgegeben.

Source: Богоявленский монастырь (Москва)


Russian Храм Богоявления Господня в бывшем Богоявленском монастыре

Монастырь был основан в XIII веке и был сильно повреждён пожаром 1686 года. Нижняя церковь храма посвящена Казанской богоматери и была построена в 1624 году. Верхняя строилась после пожара, с 1692 по 1696 год, в стиле нарышкинского барокко, для которого характерны богатые наружные украшения. В 1747 году с севера был пристроен придел святого Георгия. Кроме собора, в монастыре сохранились два корпуса (игуменский и братский).

Address Богоявленский пер., 2
fr monastère de l'Épiphanie de Moscouja 神現修道院ka მოსკოვის გამოცხადების მონასტერიnl Epifaniekloosterpl Monaster Objawienia Pańskiego w Moskwieru Богоявленский монастырьsr Богојављенски манастирuk Богоявленський монастир
Image source:
Wikimedia Commons CC BY 2.0 by Andrey from Russia
Wikidata Updated: Fri Jul 23 2021 10:25:27