St. James Hotel

File:StJamesHotel.jpg

Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons category: St. James Hotel (Red Wing, Minnesota)

Geographical coordinates: 44.565963 -92.535651

Wikipedia

English St. James Hotel (Red Wing, Minnesota)

St. James Hotel in Red Wing, Minnesota is an Italianate building built in 1874-1875. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. The NRHP-listed area was increased to become St. James Hotel and Buildings in 1982. St. James Hotel is a member of Historic Hotels of America, the official program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

Red Wing was the world's largest primary market for wheat in the early 1870s, with a warehouse capacity of over 1,000,000 US bushels (35,000,000 l; 8,000,000 US dry gal; 7,800,000 imp gal) in 1873. As a result of the city's wealth, and with a need to house businesspeople and tourists visiting the city, eleven prominent businessmen invested in the construction of the hotel. It opened with a grand ball on Thanksgiving Day, 1875. It was one of the most elaborate hotels along the Mississippi River and served the city during its heyday as a commercial center and a steamboat stop.

The hotel was purchased in 1977 by the Red Wing Shoe Company and renovated. It was also given two additions, a shopping courtyard and a new section for offices and hotel rooms. Until recently, the hotel had 61 guest rooms, each with its own unique decoration and bearing the name of a riverboat that used to travel up and down the Mississippi River. In early 2010, a new suite housed in the old Red Wing Iron Works Building was added to the hotel, bringing the number of rooms to 62.

Source: St. James Hotel (Red Wing, Minnesota)

French Hôtel St. James

L'hôtel St. James (en anglais : St. James Hotel) est un hôtel américain situé à Red Wing, dans le Minnesota. Ouvert en 1875, il est inscrit au Registre national des lieux historiques depuis le 15 septembre 1977 et est membre des Historic Hotels of America depuis 1994.

Source: Hôtel St. James

Wikivoyage

English St. James Hotel

The oldest hotel in town, in operation since 1875.

Address 406 Main St
Last Edit2021-04-03
fr hôtel St. James
Image source:
Wikimedia Commons GFDL 1.2 by Jonathunder
Wikidata Updated: Fri Jul 23 2021 06:47:46