Ursulines of Quebec

historic convent in Old Quebec, turned religious museum and teaching centre

Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons category: Ursuline Convent of Quebec City

Geographical coordinates: 46.8121 -71.2081

Wikipedia

English Ursulines of Quebec

The Ursuline Monastery of Quebec City, (French: Monastère des Ursulines de Québec), was founded by a missionary group of Ursuline nuns in 1639 under the leadership of Mother Marie of the Incarnation, O.S.U. It is the oldest institution of learning for women in North America. Today, the monastery serves as the General Motherhouse of the Ursuline Sisters of the Canadian Union. The community there also operates an historical museum and continues to serve as a teaching centre.The complex was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1972.

Source: Ursulines of Quebec

French Monastère des Ursulines de Québec

Le monastère des Ursulines de Québec, fondé en 1639, est la plus ancienne institution d'éducation pour les femmes de l'Amérique du Nord.

Source: Monastère des Ursulines de Québec

Wikivoyage

English Chapel of the Ursuline convent (Monastère des Ursulines de Québec)

The monastery comprises a whole block in the old town, though only the chapel and the museum are open to visitors. It was founded in 1639 by the French nun Marie de l'Incarnacion (later canonized) as the first female Catholic order in the Americas. The chapel dates from 1730 and is with its wooden altar considered a masterpiece of Franco-Canadian woodwork. In the museum you can learn about the activities of the Ursuline order in Quebec throughout history, and on display there are things related to its curriculum such as embroidery and musical instruments. Also the museum, in a building from 1687, has beautiful details preserved since construction including wooden staircases and windows.

Address 12 Rue Donnacona
Price $10
Last Edit2018-09-17

Russian Монастырь и музей урсулинок

Монастырь урсулинок занимает целый квартал в старом городе, хотя увидеть вам удастся в лучшем случае капеллу и музей. Монастырь был основан в 1639 году, урсулинки стали первым женским католическим орденом, развернувшим свою деятельность в Америке. Основательницей монастыря была французская монахиня Мари де л’Инкарнасьон, позже канонизированная. Монастырь сперва располагался в Нижнем городе, но уже в 1642 году переехал на нынешнее место. Урсулинки занимались образованием индейских девочек и достигли в этом некоторых успехов. Капелла относится к 1730 году. Её деревянный алтарь, выполненный скульпторами Ноэлем и Пьером-Ноэлем Левассёр, считается шедевром франко-канадской скульптуры. Музей расположен напротив капеллы в здании второй половины XVII века (по-видимому, 1687 год). Он рассказывает о деятельности ордена Урсулинок в Квебеке и показывает массу интересных вещей, связанных со школьным обучением: вышивку, музыкальные инструменты и т.п. Обязательно обратите внимание на само здание, в котором со времени постройки сохранились деревянная лестница и окна.

Address 12 Rue Donnacona
Typesee
Last Edit2018-09-17
fr monastère des Ursulines de Québecit Orsoline dell'Unione Canadese
Wikidata Updated: Thu Jul 22 2021 07:44:34