NRHP-listed as "Market Hall and Sheds"
Wikimedia Commons category: City Market (Charleston, South Carolina)
English City Market (Charleston, South Carolina)
The City Market is a historic market complex in downtown Charleston, South Carolina. Established in the 1790s, the market stretches for four city blocks from the architecturally-significant Market Hall, which faces Meeting Street, through a continuous series of one-story market sheds, the last of which terminates at East Bay Street. The Market Hall has been described as a building of the "highest architectural design quality." The entire complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Market Hall and Sheds and was further designated a National Historic Landmark.Initially known as the Centre Market, Charleston's City Market was developed as a replacement for the city's Beef Market building (on the site of Charleston's City Hall, 100 Broad Street), which burned in 1796. Market Hall, designed by Charleston architect Edward B. White, was added in the early 1840s. Throughout the 19th century, the market provided a convenient place for area farms and plantations to sell beef and produce, and also acted as a place for locals to gather and socialize. Today, the City Market's vendors sell souvenirs and other items ranging from jewelry to Gullah sweetgrass baskets. Since 1899, the City Market has housed Charleston's Confederate Museum.
Russian Городской рынок
Большой комплекс на Market Street с огромным количеством всякого рода сувенирных магазинов на чарлстонскую и каролинскую тематику. Само здание (выходящее на Meeting фасадом) — одно из самых заметных в городе, оно построено в 1840-х годах по проекту местного архитектора Эдварда Уайта в стиле неоклассицизма (эта разновидность которого в США называется Greek Revival).