Luzhetsky Monastery

File:LuzhetskyMonastery.jpg

Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons category: Luzhetsky Monastery

Geographical coordinates: 55.521055555556 36.008666666667

Wikipedia

English Luzhetsky Monastery

Luzhetsky Monastery , whose complete name is the Nativity of the Theotokos and St.Therapont Luzhetsky Monastery (Russian: Богородице-Рождественский Ферапонтов Лужецкий монастырь), is a medieval fortified monastery in Mozhaysk, Moscow Oblast, Russia. It is protected as a cultural monument of federal significance.The monastery was founded in 1408 by Therapont of Belozersk. Therapont founded the Ferapontov Monastery in 1398, located in the Principality of Beloozero, which at the time was administered jointly with the Principality of Mozhaysk. The prince, Andrey of Mozhaysk, resided in Mozhaysk, and was a brother of Vasily, the Grand Prince of Moscow. He was also one of the main sponsors of the monastery. In 1408, he sent a letter to Therapont urging him to come to Mozhaysk, and Therapont was obliged to obey. Even though Therapont, after arriving to Mozhaysk, expressed very clearly his wish to return to the White Lake, the prince never let him go. They made a deal, and Therapont founded the Luzhetsky Monastery in Mozhaysk. He died in the monastery in 1426 and was buried there. He was canonized by the Russian Orthodox Church.

The original cathedral was demolished in the first half of the 16th century, and a five-dome stone cathedral was built in 1524-1547, which still stands today. Mozhaysk, together with the monastery, was transferred to the Grand Duchy of Moscow in the middle of the 16th century. The history of the monastery in the 15th century is somewhat unclear; it is known that in 1523 the hegumen of Luzhetsky Monastery was Makary, who later became the Metropolitan of Moscow. The monastery was considerably damaged during the Time of Troubles in the 1610s, when it was plundered. Most of the current architecture of the monastery, including the bell-tower, the Transfiguration Church, and the cells, were built in the 17th century. In 1812, during the Napoleonic Wars, the Luzhetsky monastery was briefly occupied and plundered by the advancing French army. In 1929, it was closed by the Soviets. During the Soviet period it was plundered and badly damaged, though some restoration work was done in the 1960s and 1970s. In 1994 it was given back to the Russian Orthodox Church. On 26 May 1999 the relics of Therapont were found.

Source: Luzhetsky Monastery

Russian Можайский Лужецкий монастырь

Можа́йский Луже́цкий Рождества́ Богоро́дицы Ферапо́нтов монасты́рь — мужской монастырь Московской (областной) епархии, расположенный в городе Можайске, существует с XV века. Единственный (кроме храмового комплекса на месте бывшего Якиманского монастыря) из 18 средневековых монастырей Можайска, сохранившийся до наших дней.

Source: Можайский Лужецкий монастырь

Ukrainian Можайський Лужецький монастир

Можайський Лужецький Різдва Богородиці Ферапонтів чоловічий монастир знаходиться у місті Можайськ Московської області Росії. Існує з XV століття. Єдиний (крім храмового комплексу на місці колишнього Якиманського монастиря) з середньовічних монастирів Можайська, який зберігся. Належить до юрисдикції РПЦ.

Source: Можайський Лужецький монастир

German translation from Russian

Die Mozhay Luzhetsky Geburt Christi Unserer Lieben Frau Ferapontov ist ein männliches Kloster der Moskauer (regionalen) Diözese in Mozhaisk, das seit dem 15. Jahrhundert existiert. Das einzige (abgesehen vom Tempelkomplex an der Stelle des ehemaligen Yakiman-Klosters) von Mozhaisks 18 mittelalterlichen Klöstern, das bis heute erhalten bleibt.

Source: Можайский Лужецкий монастырь

Wikivoyage

Russian Богородице-Рождественский Ферапонтов Лужецкий монастырь

Монастырь был основан в 1408 году Феропонтом Белозёрским, тем самым, что в 1397 году вместе с Кириллом Белозёрским основал Кирилло-Белозёрский монастырь, а годом позже покинул Кирилла и положил начало Феропонтову монастырю, где и стал настоятелем. Лужецкий монастырь был основан Феропонтом по настоянию князя Андрей Дмитриевича, сына Дмитрия Донского. Он был главой Можайского княжества, уделом которого и было в то время Белозёрское княжество. Самое старое сооружение монастыря – пятиглавый собор Рождества Пресвятой Богородицы – датируется первой половиной XVI века. Он был возведён на месте первого каменного собора и лишился окружающих его галерей при переделках XVIII века. В соборе сохранились фрески, приписываемые ученикам Дионисия. Трёхъярусная шатровая колокольня, под которой устроена погребальная часовня, появилась в конце XVII века и вполне соответствует веяниям своего времени. Весьма любопытна одноглавая надвратная Спасская церковь, поставленная над южными воротами монастыря. Её построили в 1590-1610 годах, правда, верхняя часть её стен была переложена в середине XVIII века, а купольное завершение появилось после событий 1812 года. Кроме того, на территории монастыря сохранились церковь Введения Пресвятой Богородицы с трапезными палатами (существующее здание относят к XVII веку), келейный корпус (XVII-XIX век) и фундамент церкви преподобного Феропонта. Каменная монастырская ограда с башнями построена в XVII веке, а ныне закрытые восточные въездные ворота появились в XVIII веке. Сразу за стенами ограды, у юго-восточного края монастыря, расположен одноэтажный настоятельский корпус XIX века.

SourceМожайск (ru.wikivoyage.org)
Typesee
Last Edit2016-07-12

Nearby

Saints Joachim and Anne Church1.2 km
Battle of Mozhaysk1.2 km
Cathedral of St. Nicholas1.2 km
Saint Peter and Paul Church1.3 km
Khlebnikov Manor, Mozhaysk2.0 km
Mozhaysk2.8 km
Mozhaysk3.5 km
109 km4.7 km
Kukarinskaya7.8 km
Borodino9.6 km
ru Лужецкий монастырьuk Можайський Лужецький монастир
Image source:
Wikimedia Commons CC BY-SA 3.0 by Ludvig14
Wikidata Updated: Fri Jul 23 2021 08:09:28