Museum of Richmond
museum in Richmond, London (housed in the former Town Hall)
English Museum of Richmond
The Museum of Richmond in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames is located in Richmond's Old Town Hall, close to Richmond Bridge. It was formally opened by Queen Elizabeth II on 28 October 1988.An independent museum and a registered charity, it is supported by Richmond upon Thames Borough Council. Hilda Clarke chairs the board of trustees; John Lee, Baron Lee of Trafford is deputy chair. Its curator (since May 2019) is Esme Loukota.The museum's displays, from medieval times to the present day, relate to the history of Richmond, Kew, Petersham and Ham which, until local government boundary changes in 1965, formed the Municipal Borough of Richmond (Surrey). Its rotating exhibitions, education activities and resources, and a programme of events (including events for families and children) cover the whole of the modern borough. The museum's highlights include: 16th-century glass from Richmond Palace; a model of Richmond Palace; and a painting, The Terrace and View from Richmond Hill, Surrey by Dutch draughtsman and painter Leonard Knyff (1650–1722), which is part of the Richmond upon Thames Borough Art Collection.The museum publishes a quarterly newsletter and organises a programme of talks. Admission to the museum, which is open from Tuesdays to Saturdays, is free.
Source: Museum of Richmond