Battersea Park

File:Peace Pagoda Battersea Park.jpg

park in the London Borough of Wandsworth in London, England

Park

Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons category: Battersea Park

Geographical coordinates: 51.4793 -0.1573

Wikipedia

English Battersea Park

Battersea Park is a 200-acre (83-hectare) green space at Battersea in the London Borough of Wandsworth in London. It is situated on the south bank of the River Thames opposite Chelsea and was opened in 1858.The park occupies marshland reclaimed from the Thames and land formerly used for market gardens.

The park is Grade II* listed on the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.

Source: Battersea Park

German Battersea Park

Der Battersea Park ist ein 0,83 km² großer Park in Battersea, London, England. Er befindet sich auf der Südseite der Themse gegenüber von Chelsea und wurde 1858 eröffnet.

Der Park steht auf ehemaligem Marschland, das von der Themse gewonnen wurde, und dem Gelände eines alten Marktes.

Source: Battersea Park

French Battersea Park

Battersea Park est un espace vert d'une surface de 83 hectares, situé dans le district de Battersea, dans le Borough londonien de Wandsworth, à Londres, sur la rive sud de la Tamise, face au quartier de Chelsea, situé sur la rive nord. Il fut inauguré en 1858.

Source: Battersea Park

Italian Battersea Park

Battersea Park è un parco di 0.83 km² sito in Battersea nella Central London. Si trova sulla riva sud del Tamigi di fronte a Chelsea. Venne aperto al pubblico nel 1858.

Source: Battersea Park

zh 巴特西公園

巴特西公園(Battersea Park)或譯巴特錫公園,是位於英國倫敦旺茲沃思倫敦自治市巴特西地區的綠地,面積約83公頃。此園於1858年開放,位於泰晤士河南岸,對岸是切爾西。

Source: 巴特西公園

Wikivoyage

English Battersea Park

A lovely park on the southern banks of the Thames known or its wildlife and some splendid examples of mature trees.

Websitehttp://www.batterseapark.org/

Italian Parco di Battersea (Battersea Park)

Un bel parco sulla sponda sud del Tamigi conosciuto per la fauna e alcuni esempi di alberi antichi.

Directions stazione tube: Sloane Square poi una camminata di 15 minuti passando dal ponte di Chelsea

Places located in Battersea Park

24th East Surrey Division War Memorial

24th East Surrey Division War Memorial is a First World War memorial in Battersea Park, London. The unusual avant-garde design by Eric Kennington, his first public commission, was unveiled in 1924. It became a Grade II* listed building in 2005.The memorial commemorates the service of the 24th Division, a British infantry division which served on the Western Front in the First World War. The Division was raised in September 1914 as part of Lord Kitchener's New Army, and served on the Western Front, in the Battle of Loos in 1915, through the Battle of Delville Wood and the Battle of Guillemont in 1916, the Battle of Vimy Ridge and the Battle of Messines in 1917, to the Battle of the Sambre in 1918. It was disbanded in 1919, having suffered the loss of over 35,000 men killed, wounded and missing.

Kennington had served in two battalions of the London Regiment, the 1/22nd (County of London) Battalion (the Artists Rifles) and then the 13th (County of London) Battalion (the Kensingtons), later becoming a war artist. He undertook the commission for free, buying the £300 stone himself. Pictures of a 13.5 inches (340 mm) bronze maquette were published in the Illustrated London News in November 1922.

The final Portland stone memorial stands 6 feet 6 inches (1.98 m) high. It comprises a group of three infantry soldiers, in full kit with helmets and rifles; a serpent encircles their feet. Three figures are based on: Trooper Morris Clifford Thomas, of the Machine Gun Corps (right); Sergeant J Woods, of the 9th Battalion, Royal Sussex (centre) and Robert Graves, of the 3rd Battalion, Royal Welch Fusiliers (left). The three soldiers are mounted on a columnar base of three parts, which bears the inscription "XXIV Division France 1914–1918"; the base is also encircled by inscriptions showing the twenty badges of the Division's constituent units. These inscriptions were carved by Lucy Sampson. The base stands on two circular steps, and the whole is surrounded by a circular hedge.

The completed memorial was unveiled on 4 October 1924 by Field Marshal Lord Plumer and the Bishop of Southwark Cyril Garbett. The ceremony was attended by a guard of honour, and an address was delivered by the Division's commander from October 1915 to May 1917, Sir John Capper, who mentioned that the unit lost 4,865 men from all ranks killed, 24,000 wounded and 6,000 missing

The memorial became a Grade II* listed building in 2005.

Three Standing Figures

Three Standing Figures 1947 (LH 268) is a large stone sculpture by Henry Moore. It was made in 1947–48, and exhibited at London County Council's first Open-Air Sculpture Exhibition at Battersea Park in 1948. Donated to the council, it has been exhibited at the park since 1950. It became a Grade II listed building in 1988.

Referenced from

named afterBattersea Park railway station
Loading...
eu Battersea parkeafa بترسی پارکhe פארק באטרסיja バタシー・パークko 배터시 공원ms Taman Batterseazh 巴特西公園ceb Battersea Park (parke sa Hiniusang Gingharian)zh-hans 巴特西公园zh-hant 巴特西公園
Image source:
Wikimedia Commons CC BY 2.5 by Gordon Joly