Jewel Tower

File:Jewel Tower.jpg

medieval tower in Westminster, London, England

Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons category: Jewel Tower

Geographical coordinates: 51.4984 -0.126472

Wikipedia

English Jewel Tower

The Jewel Tower is a 14th-century surviving element of the Palace of Westminster, in London, England. It was built between 1365 and 1366, under the direction of William of Sleaford and Henry de Yevele, to house the personal treasure of King Edward III. The original Tower was a three-storey, crenellated stone building which occupied a secluded part of the Palace and was protected by a moat linked to the River Thames. The ground floor featured elaborate sculpted vaulting, described by historian Jeremy Ashbee as "an architectural masterpiece". The Tower continued to be used for storing the monarch's treasure and personal possessions until 1512, when a fire in the Palace caused King Henry VIII to relocate his court to the nearby Palace of Whitehall.

At the end of the 16th century the House of Lords began to use the Tower to store its parliamentary records, building a house alongside it for the use of the parliamentary clerk, and extensive improvements followed in 1621. The Tower continued as the Lords' records office through the 18th century and several renovations were carried out to improve its fire-proofing and comfort, creating the present appearance of the Tower. It was one of only four buildings to survive the burning of Parliament in 1834, after which the records were moved to the Victoria Tower, built for the purpose of storing archives, and part of the new neo-Gothic Palace of Westminster.

In 1869 the Jewel Tower was taken over by the newly formed Standard Weights and Measures Department, which used it for storing and testing official weights and measures. The rising level of passing vehicular traffic made the tower increasingly unsuitable for this work, and by 1938 the department had abandoned it in favour of other facilities. In 1948 the building was placed into the care of the Ministry of Works, which repaired the damage inflicted to the tower during the Second World War and restored the building extensively, clearing the surrounding area and opening the tower to tourists. Today the Jewel Tower is managed by English Heritage and receives about 30,000 visitors annually.

Source: Jewel Tower

Arabic برج الجوهرة (لندن)

برج الجوهرة هي أحد المواقع الباقية من قصر وستمنستر في لندن، والذي يعود للقرن الرابع عشر الميلداي. بني بين عامي 1365 و1366 بتوجيهات من وليام سليفورد وهنري دي إيفيل، ليكون موقعاً لحفظ كنز إدوارد الثالث ملك إنجلترا الشخصي. البرج عبارة عن بناء حجري مكون من ثلاثة طوابق، يحتل جزءاً منعزلاً من القصر، وكان محمياً بخندق مائي يرتبط بنهر التيمز. يتميز الطابق الأرضي بوجود نقوش منحوتة في القبو، وصفها المؤرخ جيريمي آشبي بأنها "تحفة معمارية". استمر استخدام البرج لتخزين كنز الملك وممتلكاته الشخصية حتى عام 1512، عندما تسبب حريق في القصربنقل بلاط الملك هنري الثامن ملك إنجلترا إلى وايت هول.

في نهاية القرن السادس عشر الميلادي، بدأ مجلس اللوردات استخدام القصر لتخزين سجلات البرلمان، وبناء منزل بجواره لاستخدام كاتب البرلمان، تبع ذلك إجراء تحسينات شاملة عام 1621. استمر استخدام البرج كمكتب لسجلات مجلس اللوردات خلال القرن الثامن عشر، ونفّذت كجموعة من التجديدات وأعمال البناء لتحسين إمكانيات إطفاء الحرائق وتحسين وسائل الراحة فيه، فكان نتيجة ذلك المظهر الحالي للبرج. عام 1834، كان البرج أحد أربعة مبانٍ فقط نجت من حريق البرلمان، وفي أعقاب ذلك تم نقل السجلات إلى برج فكتوريا الذي بني لهذا الغرض تحديداً، أي أرشيف جديد.

استولت دائرة الأوزان والمقاييس القياسية التي تشكلت عام 1869 على برج الجوهرة، حيث استخدمته لتخزين واختبار الأوزان والمقاييس الرسمية. بارتفاع وتيرة حركة المرور في لندن، أصبح البرج غير مناسب لهذا العمل، وبحلول عام 1938، تخلت عنه الدائرة لصالح منشآت أخرى. عام 1948، وضع المبنى تحت رعاية وزارة الأشغال، حيث تم إصلاح الأضرار التي لحقت بالبرج خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية، واستعيد مظهر البرج على نحو واسع، وتطهير المنطقة المحيطة به، وفتح البرج للزيارة السياح. في القرن الحادي والعشرين، أصبح البرج بإدراة هيئة التراث الإنجليزي، حيث يزوره سنوياً نحو 30,000 زائرٍ.

Source: برج الجوهرة (لندن)

German Jewel Tower

Der Jewel Tower (deutsch Juwelen-Turm) in London ist neben der Westminster Hall der einzige verbliebene Bestandteil des ursprünglichen mittelalterlichen Palace of Westminster. Er wurde etwa 1365 erbaut, um die Juwelen Edwards III. aufzunehmen, inoffiziell wurde er auch als „King’s Privy Wardrobe“ (deutsch "des Königs Privatschrank") bezeichnet. Es handelt sich um ein schmales dreistöckiges Gebäude, das aus Stein erbaut wurde und heute auf der anderen Straßenseite gegenüber dem heutigen Parlamentsgebäude des Palace of Westminster steht. Ursprünglich war er in die Verteidigungsmauern des Palastes integriert, aber vom Hauptgebäude getrennt, so dass er das große Feuer von 1834, das den Großteil des Parlamentsgebäudes zerstörte, überstand.

Er wird heute von English Heritage verwaltet und enthält eine Ausstellung Parliament Past and Present (deutsch: Das Parlament in Vergangenheit und Gegenwart). Gegenüber dem Turm sind die Überreste eines Burggrabens zu sehen. Bis 1834 wurden im Jewel Tower die historischen Aufzeichnungen des House of Lords aufbewahrt, diese befinden sich aber heute in der Verwaltung der Parliamentary Archives im Victoria Tower des Hauptgebäudes des Palace of Westminster.

Die britischen Kronjuwelen werden im Jewel House des Tower of London verwahrt.

Source: Jewel Tower

Hebrew מגדל היהלום

מגדל היהלום (באנגלית: Jewel Tower) ברובע וסטמינסטר שבלונדון הוא אחד משני השרידים שנותרו מארמון וסטמינסטר (השני הוא אולם וסטמינסטר).

המגדל נבנה בשנים 1365-1366 במטרה לשמר את בגדי המלך אדוארד השלישי, ושמו הרשמי היה "ארון הבגדים האישי של המלך" (באנגלית: King's Privy Wardrobe).

המגדל הוא מבנה אבן בן שלוש קומות, שמולו נמצא כיום הפרלמנט של בריטניה. המבנה היה בקצהו הדרומי של הארמון והיה חלק מחומת הארמון, אולם לא היה מקושר ליתר חלקי הארמון. מסיבה זו שרד המבנה את השריפה של 1834 שבה נהרס רוב הארמון. סביב המגדל נותרו שרידים של חפיר הארמון.

כיום מנוהל המבנה על ידי ארגון מורשת אנגליה (English Heritage) ומהווה מוזיאון המציג את ההיסטוריה של הפרלמנט הבריטי.

Source: מגדל היהלום

Polish Jewel Tower

Jewel Tower – XIV-wieczna wieża stanowiąca fragment kompleksu Pałacu Westminsterskiego, położona w centrum Londynu, na lewym brzegu Tamizy. Została wzniesiona w latach 1365–1366. Początkowo służyła jako magazyn dla królewskich kosztowności oraz okazjonalnie jako więzienie. Od XVI wieku była siedzibą urzędów związanych z funkcjonowaniem Izby Lordów oraz Izby Gmin. Jako jeden z niewielu elementów przetrwała pożar Pałacu Westminsterskiego w 1834 roku. Została częściowo zniszczona podczas II wojny światowej. Od 1948 roku mieści się w niej muzeum. Obecnie jest zarządzana przez organizację English Heritage. Jest wpisana na listę zabytków I klasy.

Source: Jewel Tower

Chenese 珠寶塔

珠寶塔(Jewel Tower)是位於西敏宮之內的一座現存的14世紀的建築。珠寶塔修建於1365年至1366年之間,塔高三層,收藏愛德華三世個人的珍寶。16世紀末期開始,英國上議院開始在這裡儲存會議記錄。現在珠寶塔由英格蘭遺產管理,每年大約有3萬人參觀珠寶塔。

Source: 珠寶塔

Wikivoyage

English The Jewel Tower

This small tower across the road from the Houses of Parliament is the only part of the original Palace of Westminster still standing. While it is overshadowed in splendour by the surrounding buildings, it's well worth a visit, and has good displays about the early history of Westminster.

Address Abingdon Street, SW1P 3JX
Price adults £3.90, children £2.30, concessions £3.50

Italian La torre del gioiello (The Jewel Tower)

Questa piccola torre dall'altra parte della strada rispetto alla Houses of Parlament, è l'unico elemento del Palazzo di Westminster originale che tutt'oggi sopravvive. Anche se coperto dagli edifici circostanti, val bene una visita e ha una bella mostra sulla storia di Westminster.

Address Abingdon Street, SW1P 3JX
Directions di fronte al Parlamento
Price adulti £3.90, bambini £2.30, concessioni £3.50

French Jewel Tower

Last Edit2018-10-17
ar برج الجوهرةhe מגדל היהלוםmk Кула на Скапоценоститеta யுவெல் கோபுரம்zh 珠寶塔
Image source:
Wikimedia Commons CC-BY-SA-3.0 by No machine-readable author provided. Lonpicman~commonswiki assumed (based on copyright claims).
Wikidata Updated: Fri Jul 23 2021 10:31:07