Kensington Gardens

File:Hyde Park Albert Memorial Jan 2006.jpg

park in London, England

Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons category: Kensington Gardens

Geographical coordinates: 51.507222222 -0.180277777

Wikipedia

English Kensington Gardens

Kensington Gardens, once the private gardens of Kensington Palace, are among the Royal Parks of London. The gardens are shared by the City of Westminster and the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea and sit immediately to the west of Hyde Park, in western central London. The gardens cover an area of 270 acres. The open spaces of Kensington Gardens, Hyde Park, Green Park, and St. James's Park together form an almost continuous "green lung" in the heart of London. Kensington Gardens are Grade I listed on the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.

Source: Kensington Gardens

German Kensington Gardens

Kensington Gardens ist einer der königlichen Parks in London und grenzt unmittelbar an den Hyde Park. Der größte Teil liegt in der City of Westminster, ein kleiner Teil im Westen im Stadtbezirk Kensington and Chelsea. Die Fläche beträgt 1,1 km².

Irrtümlicherweise werden die Kensington Gardens manchmal für einen Bestandteil des Hyde Parks gehalten, doch die Straße West Carriage Drive trennt die beiden Parks voneinander. Zusammen mit dem Hyde Park, dem Green Park und dem St. James’s Park bilden die Kensington Gardens einen über vier Kilometer langen, nur durch einige Straßen unterbrochenen Grünstreifen zwischen den Stadtteilen Westminster und Notting Hill.

1689 kaufte König William III. das Gelände, um sich hier von seinem Asthmaleiden zu erholen. Er beauftragte Christopher Wren mit dem Bau des Kensington Palace. Seit 1872 steht am Südrand des Parks das Albert Memorial, in Erinnerung an Prinz Albert von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha.

In einem im Jahr 1934 errichteten Pavillon ist die Serpentine Gallery untergebracht, die auf moderne Kunst spezialisiert ist. Hier wurden Werke unter anderem von Man Ray, Henry Moore, Andy Warhol, Bridget Riley und Damien Hirst ausgestellt. Ein weiterer Anziehungspunkt ist eine Peter-Pan-Statue und die Elfeneiche. Seit 2013 befindet sich in einem Neubau, entworfen von dem Architekturbüro Zaha Hadid, die Serpentine Sackler Gallery. Der Bau steht in unmittelbarer Nähe von The Magazine, einem Schießpulvermagazin aus dem Jahre 1805.

Source: Kensington Gardens

Polish Kensington Gardens

Kensington Gardens – jeden z ośmiu parków królewskich w Londynie. Większość parku położona jest w dzielnicy City of Westminster z wyjątkiem niewielkiego obszaru w zachodniej części parku, który leży w dzielnicy Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Ma powierzchnię ok. 275 akrów (111,3 ha). W parku znajduje się pomnik Albert Memorial.

Source: Kensington Gardens

Russian Кенсингтонские сады

Кенсингто́нские сады́ (англ. Kensington Gardens) — королевский парк в лондонском районе Кенсингтон, вокруг Кенсингтонского дворца. До 1728 года представлял собой часть Гайд-парка.

Source: Кенсингтонские сады

Ukrainian Кенсінгтонські сади

Кенсінгто́нські сади (англ. Kensington Gardens) — самостійний лондонський парк, розташований поблизу Кенсінгтонського палацу.

Кенсінгтонські сади є частиною Гайд-парку.

Source: Кенсінгтонські сади

cs Kensingtonské zahrady

Kensingtonské zahrady jsou jeden z královských parků v Londýně. Rozprostírají se bezprostředně na západ od Hyde Parku. Většina parku leží v Westminsteru ale malá část patří do Kensington a Chelsea. Plocha parku činí 1,1 km².

Občas bývají považovány za součást Hyde Parku, ale oba parky jsou samostatné a jsou od sebe odděleny Carriage Drive.

Spolu s Green Parkem, St. James's Parkem a zahradami u Buckinghamského paláce vytvářejí tyto parky téměř nepřerušený pás otevřeného prostranství zasahující od Whitehallu až po Notting Hill.

Mezi zajímavosti parku patří – Albertův památník, Kensingtonský palác, socha Petra Pana, Serpentinová galerie, Spekův památník a kruhový rybník.

Source: Kensingtonské zahrady

Spanish Jardines de Kensington

Los Jardines de Kensington[1]​ (en inglés: Kensington Gardens), antiguamente los jardines privados del Palacio de Kensington, es uno de los Parques Reales de Londres, situado al lado de Hyde Park. Es compartido entre la Ciudad de Westminster y Kensington y Chelsea, en el oeste del centro de Londres. Tiene una superficie de 111 hectáreas.[2]​

Los espacios abiertos de los Jardines de Kensington, Hyde Park, Green Park y St. James's Park forman juntos un "pulmón verde" casi continuo en el centro de Londres, entre Kensington y Westminster.

Source: Jardines de Kensington

French Kensington Gardens

Kensington Gardens, autrefois les jardins privés du palais de Kensington, est l'un des parcs royaux de Londres et se trouve immédiatement à l'ouest de Hyde Park. La majorité du parc se trouve dans la Cité de Westminster mais une petite partie est située dans le borough royal de Kensington et Chelsea. Le parc a une superficie de 1,1 km2.

Kensington Gardens a été conçu par Henry Wise et Charles Bridgeman avec des traits à la mode comme le Round Pond (lit. étang rond), des avenues classiques et un jardin néerlandais. Après l'ouverture du parc au public, le roi demanda à son premier ministre le coût éventuel pour les clôturer à l'usage privé de la famille royale : sa réponse fut « la Couronne ».

En ce temps, les terrains environnants étaient surtout ruraux et restaient largement inexploités jusqu'à l'exposition universelle de 1851. La plupart des traits originaux ont survécu avec le palais et il y a maintenant d'autres bâtiments publics comme l'Albert Memorial, la statue de Peter Pan, la galerie d'art Serpentine Gallery et le monument dédié à John Hanning Speke.

Les jardins sont généralement vus comme une part de Hyde Park d'où ils ont été pris. Kensington Gardens est clôturé. Avec Green Park et St James's Park, il forme un « poumon vert » continu au cœur de Londres entre Kensington et Westminster.

Ce parc sert de cadre au livre de J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens, un prélude des aventures du célèbre personnage de Neverland.

Source: Kensington Gardens

Italian Kensington Gardens

Kensington Gardens, un tempo giardini privati di Kensington Palace, è uno dei Parchi Reali di Londra. Sorge immediatamente ad ovest di Hyde Park.

La maggior parte dei giardini si trova nella City of Westminster, ma una piccola sezione è situata nel Distretto amministrativo di Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Il parco copre all'incirca 275 acri (1.1 km²).

Source: Kensington Gardens

Japanese ケンジントン・ガーデンズ

ケンジントン・ガーデンズ (Kensington Gardens) はロンドンのハイド・パーク西方に存在する王立公園。区域の大部分はシティ・オブ・ウェストミンスターに、一部はケンジントン・アンド・チェルシー区に帰属している。総面積は111ヘクタール(275エーカー) 。

ハイド・パークの一部と見なされることがあるが、ウェスト・キャリッジ・ドライヴ (The Ring) が境界となっている。これら二つの公園とグリーン・パークおよびセント・ジェームズ・パークによってケンジントンからウェストミンスターに至る緑の環が形成されている。

公園内にはケンジントン宮殿、アルバート記念碑、ピーター・パン像、サーペンタイン・ギャラリー、スピークのモニュメント、ダイアナ妃記念噴水、ダイアナ妃メモリアルプレイグラウンド、ラウンド・ポンド(ラウンド池)などが存在する。

Source: ケンジントン・ガーデンズ

pt Kensington Gardens

Kensington Gardens é um parque público londrino, reconhecido como um dos Parques Reais de Londres. Está localizado em área pertencente aos boroughs de Cidade de Westminster e Kensington e Chelsea. Tem 1.1 km² de extensão e fica ao lado do Hyde Park. Apesar de ser muitas vezes considerado como parte deste, os dois são divididos por uma alameda, conhecida como The Ring.

Originalmente o parque formava a porção oeste do Hyde Park, sendo comprado em 1689 pelo rei William III. O rei sofria de asma, e achou a área tranquila e com o ar limpo, decidindo então usar os serviços do famoso arquiteto Christopher Wren para ali construir o Palácio de Kensington. Logo após a construção toda a corte foi transferida para a nova residência real. Anos mais tarde, sob o reinado da rainha Anne, o palácio teve seus jardins expandidos em 30 acres.

O parque adquiriu sua forma atual no século XVIII, quando a esposa do rei George II, Carolina de Ansbach, criou o lago Serpentine. No reinado da rainha Victoria (que nasceu e morou no Palácio de Kensington até ser coroada em 1837) os jardins italianos foram criados e o Albert Memorial, um tributo ao seu esposo, construído.

O parque possui certos elementos de destaque, sendo o mais notório deles o Palácio de Kensington e o Albert Memorial. Há também a famosa estátua de Peter Pan e um playground construído em homenagem à Princesa Diana, além da Galeria Serpentine.

Das atividades desenvolvidas no parque, há destaque para o ciclismo e a caminhada. Certos jogos informais acontecem, mas são desencorajados em vista da natureza pacífica e calma do parque, além da importância histórica dos jardins. Com efeito, Kensington Gardens se diferencia do seu vizinho Hyde Park pela manutenção de um ambiente tranquilo, haja vista que o parque nunca serviu de palco para concertos musicais (exceto por apresentações pontuais de grupos pequenos, como tocadores de gaita de fole).

Alguns filmes tiveram suas cenas filmadas no parque, como Hook (1991), Finding Neverland (2004), Bridget Jones: No Limite da Razão (2004) e Wimbledon (2004).

O parque se encontra a curta distância do Royal Albert Hall e dos museus Victoria & Albert e o de História Natural. As estações do metrô mais próximas são Lancaster Gate e Queensway (ao norte) e South Kensington (ao oeste).

Source: Kensington Gardens

zh 肯辛顿花园

肯辛顿花园(英語:Kensington Gardens)是英国伦敦的御苑之一,原为肯辛顿宫的御花园,位于海德公园的西侧并与其连接,因此公众经常将肯辛顿花园与海德公园视为一体。肯辛顿花园位于伦敦市中心的西部肯辛頓,面积111公頃(270英畝)。肯辛顿花园原为海德公园的西端,應卡羅琳王后的要求,1726年至1731年間建造九曲湖,將肯辛頓花園從海德公园中划出,成为肯辛顿宫的御花园,因此肯辛顿花园的规划要比海德公园精致。19世纪中叶肯辛顿花园的大部开始对公众开放(至今仍有小部分作为肯辛顿宫的花园,以铁栅与开放部分划分)。

Source: 肯辛顿花园

Wikivoyage

English Kensington Gardens

The western half of the twin parks and the half that is often forgotten in public consciousness. It tends to be more formal than its neighbouring park.

Price Free

French Kensington Gardens

Il s'agissait autrefois des jardins privés du palais de Kensington. Aujourd'hui, il s'agit d'un des neuf parcs royaux de Londres. Il se trouve immédiatement à l'ouest de Hyde Park.

Hours
Last Edit2018-11-28

Italian Giardini di Kensington (Kensington Gardens)

La parte occidentale dei giardini gemelli e la parte che viene spesso dimenticata dalla coscienza pubblica. Tende ad essere più formale del suo vicino e chiude al tramonto mentre Hyde Park chiude a mezzanotte.

Directions Stazione tube: High Street Kensington, Notting Hill Gate, Queensway o Lancaster Gate
Price Gratis
Hours 06:00–tramonto

French Kensington Gardens

Last Edit2018-10-17

Places located in Kensington Gardens

Serpentine Gallery

The Serpentine Galleries are two contemporary art galleries in Kensington Gardens, Hyde Park, Central London. Comprising the Serpentine Gallery and the Serpentine Sackler Gallery, they are within five minutes' walk of each other, linked by the bridge over the Serpentine Lake from which the galleries get their names. Their exhibitions, architecture, education and public programmes attract up to 1.2 million visitors a year. Admission to both galleries is free.

Frieze of Parnassus

The Frieze of Parnassus is a large sculpted stone frieze encircling the podium, or base, of the Albert Memorial in London, England. The Albert Memorial was constructed in the 1860s in memory of Prince Albert, the husband of Queen Victoria.

The frieze is named after Mount Parnassus, the favorite resting place in Ancient Greek mythology for the muses. It contains 169 life-size full-length sculptures, a mixture of low-relief and high-relief, of individual composers, architects, poets, painters, and sculptors from history. The depictions of earlier figures necessarily, were imaginary, although many of the figures were based on materials contained in a collection of artworks and drawings gathered for the purpose of ensuring authentic depictions, where this was possible.

The total length of the frieze is approximately 64 metres (210 feet). The frieze was intended to be the 'soul' of the memorial, and the memorial's designer, George Gilbert Scott, stated that he was inspired by the Hémicycle des Beaux Arts by Paul Delaroche. The memorial was not laid out precisely to directions of the compass, however, closely enough that the sides are referred to by direction. Musicians and poets were placed on the south side, with painters on the east side, sculptors on the west side, and architects on the north side.

Henry Hugh Armstead carved the figures on the south and east sides, the painters, musicians, and poets (80 in total), and grouped them by national schools. John Birnie Philip carved the figures on the west and north sides, the sculptors and architects (89 named figures, plus two generic figures), and arranged them in chronological order.

The carving was executed in situ, and was said by Scott to be "perhaps one of the most laborious works of sculpture ever undertaken". The initial contracts, agreed around 1864, had specified that the work was to be completed in four years for £7,781 15s. The eventual cost, however, exceeded this by some £2,000 and the work was not finished until 1872.

Large groups of figures of eminent persons from the past often decorate public buildings and monuments of the later nineteenth century, and some buildings such as the Walhalla temple in Bavaria and the Panthéon in Paris were dedicated to this purpose. Many figures of visual artists decorate the Victoria and Albert Museum close to the Albert Memorial at the other end of the "Albertopolis" complex. A mosaic frieze of more generalised figures from the arts runs round the circular Royal Albert Hall adjacent to the memorial. The Parnassus by Raphael (1511), opposite the philosophers of The School of Athens in the Vatican Raphael Rooms, is an earlier group portrait of great artists.

Albert Memorial

The Albert Memorial, directly north of the Royal Albert Hall in Kensington Gardens, London, was commissioned by Queen Victoria in memory of her beloved husband Prince Albert, who died in 1861. Designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the Gothic Revival style, it takes the form of an ornate canopy or pavilion 176 feet (54 m) tall, in the style of a Gothic ciborium over the high altar of a church, sheltering a statue of the prince facing south. It took over ten years to complete, the £120,000 cost (the equivalent of about £10,000,000 in 2010) met by public subscription.

The memorial was opened in July 1872 by Queen Victoria, with the statue of Albert ceremonially "seated" in 1876.

It has been Grade I listed since 1970.

Statue of Queen Victoria

A statue of Queen Victoria stands near Kensington Palace. It was sculpted by Victoria's fourth daughter Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll and erected in 1893 . The statue was made from white marble on a Portland stone base. It depicts Victoria aged 18, seated in her coronation robes, resembling the painting of Victoria at her coronation by Sir George Hayter. The statue received a Grade II listing in 1969.

Victoria was born in Kensington Palace in May 1819, and spent most of her early life there until she ascended to the throne in 1837. The statue was made to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1887 but took some years to complete. It was commissioned by the Kensington Golden Jubilee Memorial Executive Committee, who sought design proposals. Princess Louise was reluctant to take up a commission to sculpt her mother, but was persuaded to make a model by her friend, the artist Lawrence Alma Tadema. She submitted her entry anonymously, and it was selected by the judging panel. Princess Louise was herself resident at Kensington Palace, and she sculpted the statue at her studio there (although some press reports suggested it was made by her tutor Sir Joseph Edgar Boehm). The completed sculpture was unveiled by Queen Victoria on 28 June 1893.

The statue suffered bomb damage during the Second World War, with shrapnel removing its nose in 1945. The damaged nose replaced before the accession of Queen Elizabeth II in 1952, and the nose was replaced a second time for the Golden Jubilee of Elizabeth II in 2012.

A bronze casting of the statue stands in front of the Royal Victoria College, Montreal, now the Strathcona Music Building of McGill University. The replica was commissioned by Donald Smith, 1st Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal, founder of Royal Victoria College, and unveiled in 1900 by Gilbert Elliot-Murray-Kynynmound, 4th Earl of Minto, then Governor General of Canada.

Elfin Oak

The Elfin Oak is the stump of a 900-year-old oak tree in Kensington Gardens in London, carved and painted to look as though elves, gnomes and small animals are living in its bark.

The hollow log, donated by Lady Fortescue, originally came from Richmond Park, and was moved to Kensington Gardens in 1928 as part of George Lansbury's scheme of public improvements in London. Over the next two years the illustrator Ivor Innes carved the figures of the "Little People" into it. These included Wookey the witch, with her three jars of health, wealth and happiness, Huckleberry the gnome, carrying a bag of berries up the Gnomes' Stairway to the banquet within Bark Hall, and Grumples and Groodles the Elves, being awakened by Brownie, Dinkie, Rumplelocks and Hereandthere stealing eggs from the crows' nest.Innes also illustrated a 1930 children's book written by his wife Elsie and based on the Elfin Oak. In it, Elsie wrote:

for centuries now it has been the home of fairies, gnomes, elves, imps, and pixies. In the nooks and crannies they lurk, or peer out of holes and crevices, their natural windows and doorways. It is their hiding-place by day, their revelry place by night, and when the great moon tops the bare branchless tree the Elfin Clans come out to play and frolic in the moonlight.

The inside cover of Pink Floyd's 1969 album Ummagumma features a picture of David Gilmour in front of the Elfin Oak.The comedian Spike Milligan was a lifelong fan of the tree, and in 1996 he led a successful campaign to have it restored. Milligan's contribution as advisor and lending his photographic records of his original restoration in the 1960s was of great value to students from Byam Shaw School of Art, who restored the tree in 1996 led by the artist and conservator Marcus Richards. Richards has continued to be responsible for restoration and maintaining the Elfin Oak to the present day. In December 1997 Heritage Minister Tony Banks declared it a Grade II listed structure.

Physical Energy

Physical Energy is a bronze equestrian statue by English artist George Frederic Watts. Watts was principally a painter, but also worked on sculptures from the 1870s. Physical Energy was first cast in 1902, two years before his death, and was intended to be Watts's memorial to "unknown worth". Watts said it was a symbol of "that restless physical impulse to seek the still unachieved in the domain of material things". The original plaster maquette is at the Watts Gallery, and there are four full-size bronze casts: one in London, one in Cape Town, one in Harare and one soon to be sited at Watts Gallery - Artists' Village in Compton, Surrey. Other smaller bronze casts were also made after Watts's death.

Round Pond

The Round Pond is an ornamental lake in Kensington Gardens, London, in front of Kensington Palace.

The pond was created in 1730 by George II. It is approximately seven acres (2.8 ha) in extent, measuring approximately 200 by 150 metres (660 by 490 ft). It is up to 5 metres (16 ft) deep. Despite its name, it is not circular, but rectangular with stepped and rounded corners. With a long history of popularity with model yacht enthusiasts, it is the home of the Model Yacht Sailing Association (established 1876) and the London Model Yacht Club (established 1884).

Rock on Top of Another Rock

Rock on Top of Another Rock is a sculpture by the artists Peter Fischli and David Weiss which was exhibited outside the Serpentine Gallery in Kensington Gardens in 2013. It consists of one large rock balanced on top of another large rock. An earlier incarnation of the work was a similar sculpture on the plateau of Valdresflya which was one of the artworks installed on each of Norway's eighteen scenic highways.

War Memorial Shelters

The War Memorial Shelters are two Grade II listed commemorative shelters in Kensington Gardens, London, about 100m apart, and about 140m east of Kensington Palace, built in about 1919 by the Silver Thimble Fund, to commemorate the Great War, and the soldiers and sailors who fought.The seating inside them was removed in 2013, and they were listed in 2014.

The Arch

The Arch 1979–1980 is a large stone sculpture by Henry Moore located in Kensington Gardens, London. It was given to the park by Moore in 1980.

"After the 1978 exhibition at the Serpentine Gallery in London, in which several large pieces were located in Kensington Gardens, there was a request for me to leave a sculpture there permanently, which I agreed to do.

I thought the Large Arch was very naturally sited, particularly as it could be seen reflected in the water from across the lake.

During the exhibition, many people believed the sculpture to be made of marble, but in fact it was a fibreglass exhibition cast made originally for my exhibition at the Forte di Belvedere in Florence (1963), because of the difficulty of getting a very heavy bronze or marble on to the site. Therefore, so that it could be left as a permanent sculpture in Kensington Gardens, I produced a version in travertine marble which is a very lasting material."The Arch was found to be unstable in 1996, and was subsequently dismantled and placed into storage. It was restored and replaced in its original location in 2012.

Referenced from

part ofElfin Oak
Loading...
ar حدائق كنسينغتونbe Кенсінгтонскія садыcs Kensingtonské zahradyfa باغهای کنزینگتونhe גני קנזינגטוןja ケンジントン・ガーデンズko 켄징턴 가든스ms Kebun Kensingtonru Кенсингтонские садыsk Kensingtonské záhradytr Kensington Bahçeleriuk Кенсінгтонські садиzh 肯辛顿花园wuu 肯辛顿公园yue 肯辛頓花園zh-hk 肯辛頓花園zh-hans 肯辛顿花园zh-hant 肯辛頓花園be-tarask Кенсынгтанскія сады
Photos:
Image from Wikimedia Commons under CC BY-SA 3.0 by Diliff