St Martin's Theatre

File:St Martin's Theatre, Covent Garden, London-2April2010.jpg

theatre in London, England

Theatre

Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons category: St Martin's Theatre

Geographical coordinates: 51.5128 -0.1275

Wikipedia

English St Martin's Theatre

St Martin's Theatre is a West End theatre which has staged the production of The Mousetrap since March 1974, making it the longest continuous run of any show in the world.

The theatre is located in West Street, near Shaftesbury Avenue, in the West End of London. It was designed by W. G. R. Sprague as one of a pair of theatres, along with the Ambassadors Theatre, also in West Street. Richard Verney, 19th Baron Willoughby de Broke, together with B. A. (Bertie) Meyer, commissioned Sprague to design the theatre buildings. Although the Ambassadors opened in 1913, construction of the St Martin's was delayed by the outbreak of the First World War. The theatre is still owned by the present Lord Willoughby de Broke and his family.

The first production at the St Martin's was the spectacular Edwardian musical comedy Houp La!, starring Gertie Millar, which opened on 23 November 1916. The producer was the impresario Charles B. Cochran, who took a 21-year lease on the new theatre.Many famous British actors passed through the St Martin's. In April 1923 Basil Rathbone played Harry Domain in R.U.R. and in June 1927 Henry Daniell appeared there as Gregory Brown in Meet the Wife. Successes at the theatre included Hugh Williams's play (later a film) The Grass is Greener, John Mortimer's The Wrong Side of the Park, and in 1970 the thriller Sleuth.

After Cochran, Bertie Meyer ran the theatre intermittently until 1967, when his son R. A. (Ricky) Meyer became administrator for the next two decades. The St Martin's was Grade II listed by English Heritage in March 1973.In March 1974 Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap transferred from the Ambassadors to the St Martin's, where it continues its run today, holding the record for the longest continuously running show in the world. It has exceeded 26,000 performances at the St Martin's.

Source: St Martin's Theatre

Spanish St Martin's Theatre

St Martin's Theatre es un Teatro del West End que ha escenificado la producción de La ratonera (The Mousetrap en inglés) desde marzo de 1974, convirtiéndolo en el show de funcionamiento continuo más largo del mundo.

El teatro está localizado en West Street, cerca de Shaftesbury Avenue, en West End de Londres. Fue diseñado por W. G. R. Sprague como uno de un par de teatros, junto con el Ambassadors Theatre, también en West Street. Richard Verney, 19º Barón Willoughby de Broke, junto a B. A. (Bertie) Meyer, encargó a Sprague diseñar los teatros. Pese a que el Ambassadors Theatre se abrió en 1913, la construcción del St Martin's fue retrasada por el comienzo de la Primera Guerra Mundial. El teatro es todavía, en parte, propiedad de Lord Willoughby de Broke, con Stephen Waley-Cohen.

La primera producción en el St Martin's fue la espectacular "comedia musical eduardiana" Houp La!, protagonizada por Gertie Millar, que se inauguró el 23 de noviembre de 1916. El productor fue el empresario Charles B. Cochran, quien tuvo un contrato de 21 años en el nuevo teatro.

Muchos actores famosos han pasado a través del St Martin's. En abril de 1923, Basil Rathbone interpretó Harry Domain en R.U.R. y en junio de 1927, Henry Daniell apareció allí como Gregory Brown en Meet the Wife. Los éxitos en el teatro incluyeron la obra de Hugh Williams The Grass is Greener (más tarde una película), The Wrong Side of the Park de John Mortimer y en 1970, el thriller Sleuth.

Después de Cochran, Bertie Meyer dirigió el teatro intermitentemente hasta 1967, cuando su hijo R. A. (Ricky) Meyer se convirtió en administrador para las dos siguientes décadas. El St Martin's fue clasificado como Grado II por English Heritage en marzo de 1973.

En marzo de 1974, La ratonera de Agatha Christie fue transferido del Ambassadors Theatre al St Martin's, donde continúa la obra, manteniendo el récord por el más largo show de funcionamiento continuo en el mundo. Ha excedido las 25.000 actuaciones en el St Martin's.

Source: St Martin's Theatre

Italian St Martin's Theatre

Il St Martin's Theatre è un teatro situato nella Città di Westminster, nel West End londinese.

Source: St Martin's Theatre

zh 圣马丁剧院

圣马丁剧院(St. Martin's Theatre)是一座西区剧院,位于伦敦西区的西街。阿加莎·克里斯蒂的名剧《捕鼠器》自1974年3月上演,成为世界上连续演出最久的戏剧。

圣马丁剧院与毗邻的大使剧院同时建造,位於倫敦西區,均由建筑师 W. G. R.斯普拉格设计。后者在1913年开张,但是圣马丁剧院由于一战影响,3年后才得以开张。

1973年,圣马丁剧院列为二级登录建筑。

Source: 圣马丁剧院

Wikivoyage

English St Martin's Theatre

The theatre which has been showing Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap continuously since 1952!

Address West St, WC2H 9NZ

Places located in St Martin's Theatre

Ambassadors Theatre

The Ambassadors Theatre (formerly the New Ambassadors Theatre), is a West End theatre located in West Street, near Cambridge Circus on Charing Cross Road in the City of Westminster. It is one of the smallest of the West End theatres, seating a maximum of 444, with 195 people in the dress circle and 251 in the stalls.

Loading...
fa تئاتر سنت مارتینja セント・マーティンズ・シアターzh 圣马丁剧院
Photos:
Image from Wikimedia Commons under CC BY-SA 2.0 by Ewan Munro