The Russell Hotel

defunct hotel in Ireland

Geographical coordinates: 53.33744 -6.26215

Wikipedia

English The Russell Hotel

The Russell Hotel or Hotel Russell is a defunct hotel located at 102–104 St. Stephen's Green South in Dublin, Ireland. The hotel had a fine dining restaurant that was awarded one Michelin star in 1974.In the first year of the publication of the Michelin Guide to Ireland and the United Kingdom, the Russell Hotel finally received its first star, after many years cooking and serving at high levels. However, the hotel closed later that same year.The Russell Hotel was founded in the context of the "Temperance Movement". Founder Sir Thomas Russell, 1st Baronet (1841–1920) was a staunch supporter of this movement.

Sir Thomas's son-in-law Victor Marcel Charles Barrois de Sarigny conducted the hotel until 1929.According to an advertisement in 1927, it was already a well known restaurant with a full license. Only after the takeover by the Besson family in 1947 was the hotel associated with haute cuisine.After the acquisition of The Russell Hotel by the Besson family, a number of French chefs were hired. The ITGWU (Hotel and Restaurant Branch) did not like this very much, due to the existing high unemployment, but quickly reached an agreement on the training of Irish chefs and kitchen staff. Many Irish chefs received (a part of) their training here.In 1963, at the publication of the Egon Ronay Guide, The Russell Hotel was the only hotel in Ireland awarded three stars. In 1973, the hotel was awarded two stars, despite a decline in the number of stars awarded by about 30%. The Guide awarded the restaurant one star in 1974.Well known chefs at The Russell Hotel were Pierre Rolland, Jackie Needham and Roger Noblet. It was under the leadership of head chef Matt Dowling that it earned its star.

Source: The Russell Hotel

Dutch The Russell Hotel

The Russell Hotel was een hotel in Dublin in County Dublin, Ierland waarvan het restaurant in 1974 één Michelinster kreeg.In het eerste jaar van het verschijnen van de Michelingids voor Ierland en Groot-Brittannië verkreeg The Russell Hotel zijn eerste ster, na reeds vele jaren op hoog culinair niveau gepresteerd te hebben. Nog hetzelfde jaar viel definitief het doek voor het hotel.The Russell Hotel werd gesticht in het kader van de matigingsbeweging. Stichter Thomas W. Russell (1841-1920) was een fervent aanhanger van deze beweging. Volgens een advertentie was het echter al in 1927 een bekend restaurant met een volledige drankvergunning. Pas na de overname door de familie Besson 1947 werd het hotel ook geassocieerd met haute-cuisine.Bij de overname van The Russel Hotel door de familie Besson werden ook een aantal Franse chef-koks aangetrokken. De vakbond IT&GWU (Hotel and Restaurant Branch) zag dit niet zo erg zitten maar bereikte al snel een akkoord over het opleiden van Ierse chefs en keukenpersoneel. Tal van Ierse chefs kregen hier (een deel van) hun opleiding.Bij het verschijnen van de The Egon Ronay Guide in 1963 was The Russel Hotel het enige hotel in Ierland (en een van de acht op de Britse Eilanden) met drie sterren. In 1973 kreeg het hotel twee sterren ondanks een teruggang in het aantal uitgereikte sterren met ongeveer 30%.Chef-koks van The Russel Hotel waren Pierre Rolland en Jackie Needham. Souschef was Roger Noblet.

Source: The Russell Hotel

Wikivoyage

English The Russell Hotel (Hotel Russell)

This gothic building is a real landmark and dominates the eastern side of Russell Square. Not a cheap hotel by any means but good value for the location and standard. Popular with families. See the magnificent ballroom which was designed by the same people who created interiors for RMS Titanic.

Address 1-8 Russell Sq, WC1B 5BE
Wikidata Updated: Fri Jul 23 2021 11:21:03