Old Cathedral of St. Sophia, Kiev

File:Podolfrolovsky.ipg.jpg

church building in Kiev, Ukraine

Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons category: St. Peter and St. Paul's Church (Kiev)

Geographical coordinates: 50.4644 30.5144

Wikipedia

English Old Cathedral of St. Sophia, Kiev

The Old Cathedral of St. Sophia (Polish: Katedra św. Zofii w Kijowie, Latin: Sancta Sophia, Capitulo et Canonicis Cathedralis Ecclesiae Kioviencis ) also called Catholic Cathedral of St. Sophia is the name given to a Catholic cathedral that was in the city of Kiev, the capital of the European country of Ukraine. It was transformed into an Orthodox church and later demolished during the Soviet era. The current main Catholic cathedral is now dedicated to St. Nicholas.

It is the oldest and historical Latin cathedral in Kiev, the seat of the Bishop of the Catholic Church in the Diocese of Kiev which was part of the metropolis of Lviv since 1412.

It began as a wooden chapel burned down in the year 1017.A brick church was built only between 1614 and 1633 on efforts of Krzysztof Kazimirski within a Dominican monastery. With start of the Khmelnytskyi Uprising, the local Dominican Order was liquidated and the cathedral was robbed. Since 1650s it was used by the Muscovite voivode as a guard house.

In 1691 Metropolitan Varlaam of Kiev consecrated as the Eastern Orthodox temple, the Church of Saints Peter and Paul. At first it did not have own staff and was assigned to the Saint Sophia's Cathedral. It was rebuilt in 1724 and in 1784 it was transformed into a separate temple. In 1744-50 the church was restructured and Ivan Grigorovich-Barsky built a three-story belltower next to the church. The Sts Peter and Paul Church was damaged during the 1811 Great Podil fire and top level of belltower was taken apart.

In 1832 at the court of the church compound was built the Kiev-Podil Theological School.

In 1920 the church was closed to worship and its building was planned to be used as a warehouse for the Central Archives of Ukraine. However, around 1935 the church together with its belltower was destroyed.

Source: Old Cathedral of St. Sophia, Kiev

Polish Katedra św. Zofii w Kijowie

Katedra św. Zofii w Kijowie – najstarsza, historyczna katedra łacińska w Kijowie, siedziba biskupstwa Kościoła katolickiego w diecezji kijowskiej, należącej od 1412 do metropolii lwowskiej.

Katedra położona była w dzielnicy Kijowa Padole, przy klasztorze Dominikanów.

Source: Katedra św. Zofii w Kijowie

Ukrainian Петропавлівська церква (Поділ)

Це́рква святих Петра і Павла — колишній православний храм у Києві на Подолі, збудований як домініканський костел святого Миколая близько 1610 року та зруйнований більшовиками у 1930-ті роки.

Source: Петропавлівська церква (Поділ)

Spanish Antigua catedral de Santa Sofía (Kiev)

La Antigua Catedral de Santa Sofía o simplemente Catedral católica de Santa Sofía y posteriormente Iglesia de San Pedro y San Pablo (en ucraniano: Собор Святої Софії; en latín: Sancta Sophia, Capitulo et Canonicis Cathedralis Ecclesiae Kioviencis) es el nombre que recibe un catedral católica que se encontraba en la ciudad de Kiev, la capital del país europeo de Ucrania.[1]​ Fue transformada en una iglesia ortodoxa y posteriormente demolida durante la era soviética. La actual catedral católica principal esta ahora dedicada a San Nicolás.

Se trata de la más antigua e histórica catedral latina en Kiev , la sede del obispado de la Iglesia Católica en la Diócesis de Kiev , que perteneció desde 1412 a la metrópoli de Lviv.

Empezó como una capilla de madera que se quemó en el año 1017. Una iglesia de ladrillo fue construida sólo entre los años 1614 y 1633. Fue reconstruida en 1724.

En 1920 la iglesia fue cerrada al culto. Desde 1930 este edificio fue utilizado como almacén de los Archivos Centrales de Ucrania.

Source: Antigua catedral de Santa Sofía (Kiev)

Loading...
es Antigua Catedral de Santa Sofíamk Црква Свети Петар и Свети Павле (Киев)pl Katedra św. Zofii w Kijowieuk Петропавлівська церква (Поділ)arz كاتدرائيه القديسه صوفيا القديمه كييف
Image source:
Wikimedia Commons Public domain by Unknown author