Metropolitan City of Venice
Italian metropolitan city
Wikimedia Commons category: Metropolitan city of Venice
English Metropolitan City of Venice
The Metropolitan City of Venice (Italian: Città Metropolitana di Venezia) is a metropolitan city in the Veneto region, Italy. Its capital is the city of Venice. It replaced the Province of Venice and includes the city of Venice and 43 other municipalities (comuni). It was first created by the reform of local authorities (Law 142/1990) and then established by the Law 56/2014.
The Metropolitan City of Venice is headed by the Metropolitan Mayor (Sindaco metropolitano) and by the Metropolitan Council (Consiglio metropolitano). Since 15 June 2015, as new mayor of the capital city, Luigi Brugnaro is the first mayor of the Metropolitan City.
Source: Metropolitan City of Venice
German Metropolitanstadt Venedig
Die Metropolitanstadt Venedig (italienisch Città Metropolitana di Venezia) ist eine Metropolitanstadt in der italienischen Region Venetien. Die Metropolitanstadt Venedig ersetzte 2015 die Provinz Venedig (italienisch Provincia di Venezia).
Sie hat eine Fläche von 2.462 km² und 851.663 Einwohner (Stand: 31. Dezember 2019). Hauptstadt ist Venedig. Bürgermeister der Metropolitanstadt Venedig ist seit dem 31. August 2015 Luigi Brugnaro.
Source: Metropolitanstadt Venedig
Ukrainian Венеція (метрополійне місто)
Метрополійне місто Венеція (італ. Città metropolitana di Venezia — адміністративно-територіальна одиниця у регіоні Венето, Італія. Одне з 10 метрополійних міст, що були створені законом 7 квітня 2014 року. З 1 січня 2015 року замінює провінцію Венеція.
Source: Венеція (метрополійне місто)
cs Metropolitní město Benátky
Metropolitní město Benátky (Città metropolitana di Venezia) je italský správní celek druhé úrovně v regionu Benátsko. Sousedí na severovýchodě s provinciemi Udine a Pordenone, na jihu s provincií Rovigo a na západě s provinciemi Padova a Treviso. Na východě její břehy omývá Jaderské moře.
Source: Metropolitní město Benátky
Spanish Ciudad metropolitana de Venecia
La Ciudad metropolitana de Venecia (en italiano: Città metropolitana di Venezia) es un ente local italiano de la región Véneto, en el norte del país. Su capital es la ciudad de Venecia.
Desde el 1 de enero de 2015 ha reemplazado a la Provincia de Venecia.
Tiene un área de 2.462 km² y una población total de 858.544 hab. (2014).
Source: Ciudad metropolitana de Venecia
French Ville métropolitaine de Venise
La ville métropolitaine de Venise (en italien : Città metropolitana di Venezia) est une ville métropolitaine italienne située dans la région de Vénétie, dont le chef-lieu est Venise. Elle remplace la province de Venise depuis le 15 juin 2015.
Source: Ville métropolitaine de Venise
Italian Città metropolitana di Venezia
La città metropolitana di Venezia è una città metropolitana italiana. Nel 2015 ha sostituito la provincia di Venezia. Affacciata ad est sul mar Adriatico (Alto Adriatico), confina a nord-est con il Friuli Venezia Giulia (provincia di Udine e provincia di Pordenone), a sud con la provincia di Rovigo, a ovest con la provincia di Padova e la provincia di Treviso.
Source: Città metropolitana di Venezia
威尼斯廣域市（Città Metropolitana di Venezia）是意大利威尼托的一個广域市。面積2,467平方公里，2005年人口829,418人。首府威尼斯。前身为威尼斯省。
Places located in Metropolitan City of Venice
Venice (; Italian: Venezia [veˈnɛttsja] (listen); Venetian: Venesia or Venexia [veˈnɛsja]) is a city in northeastern Italy and the capital of the Veneto region. It is on a group of 118 small islands that are separated by canals and linked by over 400 bridges. The islands are located in the shallow Venetian Lagoon, an enclosed bay that lies between the mouths of the Po and the Piave rivers (more exactly between the Brenta and the Sile). In 2018, 260,897 people resided in the Comune di Venezia, of whom around 55,000 live in the historical city of Venice (centro storico). Together with Padua and Treviso, the city is included in the Padua-Treviso-Venice Metropolitan Area (PATREVE), which is considered a statistical metropolitan area, with a total population of 2.6 million.The name is derived from the ancient Veneti people who inhabited the region by the 10th century BC. The city was historically the capital of the Republic of Venice for a millennium and more, from 697 to 1797. It was a major financial and maritime power during the Middle Ages and Renaissance, and a staging area for the Crusades and the Battle of Lepanto, as well as an important center of commerce—especially silk, grain, and spice, and of art from the 13th century to the end of the 17th. The city-state of Venice is considered to have been the first real international financial center, emerging in the 9th century and reaching its greatest prominence in the 14th century. This made Venice a wealthy city throughout most of its history. After the Napoleonic Wars and the Congress of Vienna, the Republic was annexed by the Austrian Empire, until it became part of the Kingdom of Italy in 1866, following a referendum held as a result of the Third Italian War of Independence.
Venice has been known as "La Dominante", "La Serenissima", "Queen of the Adriatic", "City of Water", "City of Masks", "City of Bridges", "The Floating City", and "City of Canals". The lagoon and a part of the city are listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Parts of Venice are renowned for the beauty of their settings, their architecture, and artwork. Venice is known for several important artistic movements—especially during the Renaissance period—has played an important role in the history of symphonic and operatic music, and is the birthplace of Antonio Vivaldi.Although the city is facing some challenges (including an excessive number of tourists and problems caused by pollution, tide peaks and cruise ships sailing too close to buildings), Venice remains a very popular tourist destination, a major cultural centre, and has been ranked many times the most beautiful city in the world. It has been described by the Times Online as one of Europe's most romantic cities and by The New York Times as "undoubtedly the most beautiful city built by man".
The Venice Film Festival or Venice International Film Festival (Italian: Mostra Internazionale d'Arte Cinematografica della Biennale di Venezia, "International Exhibition of Cinematographic Art of the Venice Biennale") is the world's oldest film festival and one of the "Big Three" film festivals, alongside the Cannes Film Festival in France and the Berlin International Film Festival in Germany. The Big Three are internationally acclaimed for giving creators the artistic freedom to express themselves through film. In 1951, FIAPF formally accredited the festival.Founded in Venice, Italy in August 1932, the festival is part of the Venice Biennale, one of the world's oldest exhibitions of art, created by the Venice City Council on 19 April 1893. The range of work at the Venice Biennale now covers Italian and international art, architecture, dance, music, theatre, and cinema. These works are experienced at separate exhibitions: the International Art Exhibition, the International Festival of Contemporary Music, the International Theatre Festival, the International Architecture Exhibition, the International Festival of Contemporary Dance, the International Kids' Carnival, and the annual Venice Film Festival, which is arguably the best-known of all the events.
The festival is held in late August or early September on the island of the Lido in the Venice Lagoon. Screenings take place in the historic Palazzo del Cinema on the Lungomare Marconi. The festival continues to be one of the world's most popular and fastest-growing.The 77th Venice International Film Festival was held from 2 to 12 September 2020,
Portogruaro (Venetian: Porto, Friulian: Puart) is a town and comune in the Metropolitan City of Venice, Veneto, northern Italy. The city is the centre of a district, made up of 11 comuni, which form the Venezia Orientale with the San Donà di Piave district.
Dorsoduro is one of the six sestieri of Venice, in northern Italy.
Dorsoduro includes the highest land areas of the city and also Giudecca island and Isola Sacca Fisola. Its name derives from the Italian for "hard ridge", due to its comparatively high, stable land.
The Basilica di Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari, usually just called the Frari, is a church located in the Campo dei Frari at the heart of the San Polo district of Venice, Italy. One of the most prominent churches in the city, it has the status of a minor basilica. The church is dedicated to the Assumption of Mary.
The imposing edifice is built of brick, and is one of the city's three notable churches still mostly retaining their Venetian Gothic appearance. In common with many Franciscan churches, the exterior is rather plain, even on the front facade. The interior is notable for a large number of very grand wall monuments to distinguished Venetians buried in the church, including a number of Doges and the painter Titian. Many of these are important works in the history of Venetian sculpture, and the many paintings include two large and important altarpieces by Titian, the Assumption of the Virgin on the high altar and the Pesaro Madonna. It also contains the only rood screen still in place in Venice.
San Giorgio Maggiore is a 16th-century Benedictine church on the island of the same name in Venice, northern Italy, designed by Andrea Palladio, and built between 1566 and 1610. The church is a basilica in the classical Renaissance style and its brilliant white marble gleams above the blue water of the lagoon opposite the Piazzetta and forms the focal point of the view from every part of the Riva degli Schiavoni.
The Bridge of Sighs (Italian: Ponte dei Sospiri, Venetian: Ponte de i Sospiri) is a bridge in Venice, Italy. The enclosed bridge is made of white limestone, has windows with stone bars, passes over the Rio di Palazzo, and connects the New Prison (Prigioni Nuove) to the interrogation rooms in the Doge's Palace. It was designed by Antonio Contino, whose uncle Antonio da Ponte designed the Rialto Bridge, and it was built in 1600.
Santa Maria dei Miracoli is a church in the sestiere of Cannaregio, in Venice, Italy. Also known as the "marble church", it is one of the best examples of the early Venetian Renaissance including colored marble, a false colonnade on the exterior walls (pilasters), and a semicircular pediment. The organisation "Save Venice" restored the church over a period of ten years, from 1987 to 1997 (they had estimated as period of two years). The marble cladding contained 14 percent of salts, and was on the point of bursting. All marble cladding was removed, and cleaned in stainless steel tanks, in a solution of distilled water. The restoration was calculated to cost 1 million dollars, the final cost was 4 million dollars. The main altar is reached by a series of steps. The circular facade windows recall Donato Bramante's churches in Milan.
Built between 1481 and 1489 by Pietro Lombardo to house a miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary. The plans for the church were expanded in 1484 to include the construction of a new convent for nuns of St. Clare to the east. The convent was connected to the gallery of the church by an enclosed walkway that was later destroyed.
The interior is enclosed by a wide barrel vault, with a single nave. The nave is dominated by an ornamental marble stair rising between two pulpits, with statues by Tullio Lombardo, Alessandro Vittoria and Niccolò di Pietro. The vaulted ceiling is divided into fifty coffers decorated with paintings of prophets, a work by Girolamo Pennacchi's contemporaries, Vincenzo dalle Destre and Lattanzio da Rimini.
The Rialto Bridge (Italian: Ponte di Rialto; Venetian: Ponte de Rialto) is the oldest of the four bridges spanning the Grand Canal in Venice, Italy. Connecting the sestieri (districts) of San Marco and San Polo, it has been rebuilt several times since its first construction as a pontoon bridge in the 12th century, and is now a significant tourist attraction in the city.
Murano is a series of islands linked by bridges in the Venetian Lagoon, northern Italy. It lies about 1.5 kilometres (0.9 miles) north of Venice and measures about 1.5 km (0.9 mi) across with a population of just over 5,000 (2004 figures). It is famous for its glass making. It was once an independent comune, but is now a frazione of the comune of Venice.
Venezia Mestre railway station (Italian: Stazione di Venezia Mestre) is a junction station in the comune of Venice, Italy. It is located within the mainland frazione of Mestre, and is classified by its owner, Rete Ferroviaria Italiana, as a gold category station.The station is situated at the 257.907 kilometres (160.256 mi) mark of the Milan–Venice line, and at the 27.778 kilometres (17.260 mi) mark of the Adria–Mestre line. It is also the point of origin of other lines that converge towards Venice as the capital of the region Veneto.
Additionally, the station forms the border between the boroughs of Mestre and Marghera, that are connected by the two underpasses of the station, one just for pedestrians and the other for both pedestrians and cyclists.
Venezia Mestre is one of Venice's two most important railway stations, the other one being Venezia Santa Lucia, a terminal station on the island of Venice. Both stations are managed by Grandi Stazioni, and they are linked with each other by the Ponte della Libertà (English: Liberty Bridge) between the mainland and the island.
While Venezia Santa Lucia station's main doors are usually closed at night, Venezia Mestre station is always open and people can pass by also at night, to get on one of the few night trains or to use the underpasses between Mestre and Marghera (shops and ticket offices are usually closed at night).
Late night or early morning trains might stop at Venezia Mestre station if the Venezia Santa Lucia station is closed at such time.
In that case, passengers directed to/coming from the Historical Center of Venice they should use the 24/7 ACTV bus service (lines 2 and H1) from Piazzale Roma to Venezia Mestre station and vice versa.
The Venetian Lagoon (Italian: Laguna di Venezia; Venetian: Łaguna de Venesia) is an enclosed bay of the Adriatic Sea, in northern Italy, in which the city of Venice is situated. Its name in the Italian and Venetian languages, Laguna Veneta—cognate of Latin lacus, "lake"—has provided the English name for an enclosed, shallow embayment of salt water, a lagoon.
Le Zitelle (officially Santa Maria della Presentazione) is a church in Venice, Italy. It is part of a former complex which gave shelter to young maidens ("zitelle" in Italian) who had no dowry, and is in the easternmost part of the Giudecca island.
Generally attributed to Andrea Palladio, the original design dates to 1579–80 and the construction to 1586. Its housing edifice surrounds the church in a horseshoe shape, with a court behind the apse. The façade has two orders, surmounted by a tympanum and flanked by two small bell towers. The church has a large dome with a roof lantern.
The interior is on the central plan. It houses works by Aliense, Leandro Bassano and Palma il Giovane.
The attribution to Andrea Palladio is not without controversy. The Centro Internazionale di Studi di Architettura Andrea Palladio points to a lack of contemporary documents and drawings confirming Palladio's involvement with the project and the fact that construction only started in 1581, one year after Palladio's death. They consider:
... a project by Palladio both possible and datable to the mid-1570s, but neither the façade nor the interior of the church display characteristics which are unequivocally related to Palladio’s language, unless in an extremely clumsy and unfaithful version.
The church is now only open on Sundays, and the Bauer Hotel has acquired the former convent and converted it into a 50-room luxury hotel – The Palladio.
Venezia Santa Lucia (Italian: Stazione di Venezia Santa Lucia) (IATA: XVQ) is the central station of Venice in the north-east of Italy. It is a terminus and located at the northern edge of Venice's historic city (Italian: Centro storico).
The station is one of Venice's two most important railway stations; the other one is Venezia Mestre, a mainline junction station on Venice's mainland district of Mestre. Both Santa-Lucia and Mestre stations are managed by Grandi Stazioni and they are connected to each other by Ponte della Libertà (English: Liberty Bridge).
The Ca' d'Oro or Palazzo Santa Sofia is a palace on the Grand Canal in Venice, northern Italy. One of the older palaces in the city, its name means "golden house" due to the gilt and polychrome external decorations which once adorned its walls. Since 1927, it has been used as a museum, as the Galleria Giorgio Franchetti.
It has long been regarded as the best surviving palazzo in Venetian Gothic architecture, retaining all the most characteristic features, despite some losses. On the facade, the loggia-like window group of closely spaced small columns, with heavy tracery with quatrefoil openings above, uses the formula from the Doge's Palace that had become iconic. There are also the byzantine-inspired decoration along the roofline, and patterning in fancy coloured stone to the flat wall surfaces. The smaller windows show a variety of forms with an ogee arch, capped with a relief ornament, and the edges and zone boundaries are marked with ropework reliefs.
The Pinacoteca Querini Stampalia is an art collection and museum in Venice, Italy. Situated inside the Palazzo Querini Stampalia, in the sestiere of Castello, on the left bank of the Grand Canal, it includes famous paintings as a self- portrait and Adam and Eve by Palma Giovane, a Sacra Conversazione by Palma Vecchio and a Madonna and Child by Bernardo Strozzi. It also holds prized drawings by Giovanni Bellini, Raphael, Paolo Veronese, Titian, and Tintoretto.
The picture gallery is displayed within twenty rooms on the second floor of the palace which also contains furniture, a large public library, porcelains and musical instruments, along with works by artists ranging from the 14th-18th century.
The National Archaeological Museum of Altino (in italian: Museo archeologico nazionale di Altino, MANA) is an Archaeology museum located in Altino, in the municipality of Quarto d'Altino, in the Metropolitan City of Venice, Italy, next to archaeological site of Altinum.
The museum, which preserves the most representative archaeological finds of Altinum (a very important Venetian and Roman centre, active between 8th century B.C. and 5th century A.D. on the northern edge of the lagoon that will be in Venice) and the nearby archaeological site of Altino are included in the UNESCO World Heritage site "Venice and its lagoon".
The San Giorgio Monastery (St. George Monastery) was a Benedictine monastery in Venice, Italy, located on the island of San Giorgio Maggiore. It stands next to the Church of San Giorgio Maggiore, which serves the monastic community. The old monastic buildings currently serves as the headquarters of the Cini Foundation.
The Lace Museum (in Italian: Museo del merletto) is located at the historic palace of Podestà of Torcello, in Galuppi square, on the island of Burano, near Venice, Italy.The palace was seat of the famous Burano Lace School from 1872 to 1970.Rare and precious pieces offer a complete overview of the history and artistry of the Venetian and lagoon's laces, from its origins to the present day are on display, in a picturesque setting decorated in the typical colors of the island.Re-opened to the public in June 2011 after extensive restoration works, the Lace Museum offers a complete overview of the laces of Venice and islands and is one of the 11 civic museums managed by the Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia.
Villa Foscari is a patrician villa in Mira, near Venice, northern Italy, designed by the Italian architect Andrea Palladio. It is also known as La Malcontenta, a nickname which it received when the spouse of one of the Foscaris was locked up in the house because she allegedly didn't live up to her conjugal duty.
Teatro San Samuele was an opera house and theatre located at the Rio del Duca, between Campo San Samuele and Campo Santo Stefano, in Venice. One of several important theatres built in that city by the Grimani family, the theatre opened in 1656 and operated continuously until a fire destroyed the theatre in 1747. A new structure was built and opened in 1748, but financial difficulties forced the theatre to close and be sold in 1770. The theatre remained active until 1807 when it was shut down by Napoleonic decree. It reopened in 1815 and was later acquired by impresario Giuseppe Camploy in 1819. In 1853 the theatre was renamed the Teatro Camploy. Upon Camploy's death in 1889, the theatre was bequeathed to the City of Verona. The Venice City Council in turn bought the theatre and demolished it in 1894.
San Giacomo di Rialto is a church in the sestiere of San Polo, Venice, northern Italy. The addition of "Rialto" to the name distinguishes this church from its namesake San Giacomo dell'Orio found in the sestiere of Santa Croce, on the same side of the Grand Canal.
It has a large 15th-century clock above the entrance, a useful item in the Venetian business district but regarded as a standing joke for its inaccuracy. The Gothic portico is one of the few surviving examples in Venice. It has a Latin cross plan with a central dome. Inside, the Veneto-Byzantine capitals on the six columns of ancient Greek marble date from the 11th century.
The Palazzo Grimani of Santa Maria Formosa is a State museum, located in Venice in the Castello district, near Campo Santa Maria Formosa.
The Scuola Grande di San Rocco is a building in Venice, northern Italy. It is noted for its collection of paintings by Tintoretto and generally agreed to include some of his finest work.
Santa Maria dei Carmini, also called Santa Maria del Carmelo and commonly known simply as the Carmini, is a large Roman Catholic church in the sestiere, or neighbourhood, of Dorsoduro in Venice, northern Italy. It nestles against the former Scuola Grande di Santa Maria del Carmelo, also known as the Scuola dei Carmini. This charitable confraternity was officially founded in 1597, and arose from a lay women's charitable association, the Pinzocchere dei Carmini. The members of this lay group were associated as tertiaries to the neighbouring Carmelite monastery. They were responsible for stitching the scapulars for the Carmelites.
Punta della Dogana is an art museum in one of Venice's old customs buildings, the Dogana da Mar. It also refers to the triangular area of Venice where the Grand Canal meets the Giudecca Canal, and its collection of buildings: Santa Maria della Salute, (hence the area is also known as Punta della Salute), the Patriarchal Seminary of Venice, and Dogana da Mar at the triangle's tip.
Santa Maria del Rosario (St. Mary of the Rosary), commonly known as I Gesuati, is an 18th-century Dominican church in the Sestiere of Dorsoduro, on the Giudecca canal in Venice, northern Italy. The classical style building has a well-lit interior and is exceptional in preserving its original layout and Rococo decoration intact. The church and almost all its sculpture and paintings were created within a thirty-year period: construction began in 1725, the church was consecrated in 1743, and the last sculptural decoration was in place by 1755.
San Michele in Isola is a Roman Catholic church, located on the Isola di San Michele, a small islet sited between Venice and Murano, which once sheltered a Camaldolese monastery (Italian: Monastero di S. Michele di Murano), but now houses the main cemetery of the city. The monastery was mostly demolished in the 19th-century, but the church remains, originally rebuilt starting in 1469. The church is dedicated to Saint Michael (Roman Catholic), the holder of the scales on Judgement Day, a fit guardian of the sleep of the faithful dead. The island cemetery now includes the land of the formerly separate island of San Cristoforo. This church is sometimes referred to as San Michele di Murano, although this islet is separate from islands comprising that town.
The Provincial Museum of Torcello (in Italian: Museo Provinciale di Torcello) is a museum founded at the end of 19th century on the Venetian island of Torcello. It has two sections: the Archaeological Section and the Medieval and Modern Section.
The Teatro San Benedetto was a theatre in Venice, particularly prominent in the operatic life of the city in the 18th and early 19th centuries. It saw the premieres of over 140 operas, including Rossini's L'italiana in Algeri, and was the theatre of choice for the presentation of opera seria until La Fenice was built in 1792.
The Chiesa di Santo Stefano (Church of St. Stephen) is a large Roman Catholic church at the northern end of the Campo Santo Stefano in the sestiere of San Marco, Venice, Italy.
The Chiesa di San Sebastiano (English: Church of Saint Sebastian) is a 16th-century Roman Catholic church located in the Dorsoduro sestiere of the Italian city of Venice. The church houses a cycle of paintings by the artist Paolo Veronese, as well as paintings by Tintoretto and Titian. The church is also a member of the Chorus Association of Venetian churches. It stands on the Campo di San Sebastiano by the Rio di San Basilio, close to the Giudecca Canal. It is one of the five votive churches in Venice, each one built after the passing of a plague through the city. Following construction, the church was dedicated to a saint associated with the disease; in this case St. Sebastian.
The Teatro San Cassiano or Teatro di San Cassiano in Venice was the first public opera house when it opened in 1637. The theater was a stone building owned by the Venetian Tron family, and took its name from the neighbourhood where it was located, the parish of San Cassiano near the Rialto. It was considered 'public' as it was directed by an impresario, or general manager, for the paying public rather than for nobles exclusively.
The Chiesa di San Polo is a Catholic church in Venice, dedicated to the Apostle Paul. It gives its name to the San Polo sestiere of the city.
The Palazzo Grimani di San Luca is a Renaissance-style palace, located between the Palazzo Corner Valmarana and the Rio di San Luca and the flanking Palazzo Corner Contarini dei Cavalli on the Grand Canal in the sestiere of San Marco of the city of Venice, Italy.
The Piraeus Lion (Italian: Leone del Pireo; Swedish: Pireuslejonet); is one of four lion statues on display at the Venetian Arsenal, where it was displayed as a symbol of Venice's patron saint, Saint Mark.
The Palazzo Loredan Cini is a Gothic-style palace located between the Palazzo Balbi Valier and the Rio San Vio on the Grand Canal, in the sestiere of Dorsoduro, Venice, Italy. The palace was formed from the amalgamation of the former Palazzo Foscari-Loredan with the adjacent Palazzo Grimani. The narrow facade on the Canal has no entrance, but the facade to the north on the Rio, has a single water door, and is connected to the adjacent campo by a bridge. The facade is decorated with two poliforas.
San Marco in Boccalama was an island, now submerged, in the Venetian Lagoon, northern Italy. It was located between Campana, Sant'Angelo della Polvere and the motte di Volpego. The name derived from the presence of a church dedicated to St. Mark, and to its location at the mouth the Lama, an old branch of the river Brenta's mouth.
An oratory existed here from as early as 1013. After 1328 subsidence and erosion made life impossible for the monks, and from 1348 it was used as a common burial place in the wake of the outbreak of the Black Death in Venice and its neighborhood. The last mentions of the islands date to the 16th century, after which it is likely it had already disappeared.
In the 1990s two medieval ships were found near the submerged island, a rascona (a flat transport boat) and a galley, the first example of this type found so far.
The House of Carlo Goldoni, or in Italian, Casa di Carlo Goldoni is writer's house museum located in a small palace or palazzetto, that served as the residence of the Italian playwright Carlo Goldoni. Located in San Polo, Venice, it is now a museum and library of theater studies.
Campo Santo Stefano is a city square near the Ponte dell'Accademia, in the sestiere of San Marco, Venice, Italy.
The Teatro San Moisè was a theatre and opera house in Venice, active from 1620 to 1818. It was in a prominent location near the Palazzo Giustinian and the church of San Moisè at the entrance to the Grand Canal.
The Teatro Santi Giovanni e Paolo (often written as Teatro SS. Giovanni e Paolo) was a theatre and opera house in Venice located on the Calle della Testa, and takes its name from the nearby Basilica of Santi Giovanni e Paolo, Venice. Built by the Grimani family in 1638, in its heyday it was considered the most beautiful and comfortable theatre in the city. The theatre played an important role in the development of opera and saw the premieres of several works by Francesco Cavalli, as well as Monteverdi's Il ritorno d'Ulisse in patria and L'incoronazione di Poppea.
The Bust of Cardinal Giovanni Dolfin or Delfin is a sculptural portrait by the Italian artist Gian Lorenzo Bernini, which is part of a mausoleum for the Venetian Cardinal Giovanni Delfin, member of one of Venice's most ancient noble families. The tomb as a whole was a joint work commissioned of Bernini and his father Pietro. While Gianlorenzo executed the portrait bust, Pietro carried out the surrounding figures, including two allegorical figures of Faith and Hope as well as the Delfin family coat of arms. The work was completed in late 1621, and sits in the church of San Michele in Isola.
The Orto Botanico Locatelli (300 m²) is a small botanical garden located in the northeastern corner of the Parco della Bissuola (Parco Albanese), Mestre, Veneto, Italy. It is open Sunday evenings from May to October
The garden aims to integrate botany, ecology, and philosophy. It contains about 250 species organized into the following sections: medicinal plants (about 60 species), trees and shrubs of the Venetian landscape, vegetables and fruits, and a small collection of ornamental plants. It also contains a small covered area, about forty seats, which serves as a site for lectures and short courses on botanical subjects.
The Scuola di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni in Venice, northern Italy, was one of the city's historical scuole (confraternity houses).
The Galleria Giorgio Franchetti alla Ca' d'Oro is an intimate art museum located in the picturesque Ca' d'Oro on the Grand Canal in Venice, Italy.
Teatro Sant' Apollinare was an Italian public opera house established in 1651 in Venice in what is today Petriana Court. The Sant 'Apollinare was established in a residential building and equipped with advanced stage machinery intended to allow for spectacular stage shows. It was managed in 1651 by impessario and librettist Giovanni Faustini, who died during the first run of his opera La Calisto there. After his death, his brother Marco Faustini took over management of the theater. It was dismantled in 1661 and the rooms returned to residential use.
The Giardino Botanico della Scuola Media Statale "E.Toti" di Musile di Piave (3500 m²) is an arboretum and botanical garden located on the grounds of the middle school "E. Toti", Via Guglielmo Marconi, Musile di Piave, Province of Venice, Veneto, Italy. It is open daily.
The garden was established in 1978-79 as an outdoor classroom for the study of plants. Today its collection includes Acacia saligna, Acer campestre, Acer pseudoplatanus, Aesculus hippocastanum, Albizia julibrissin, Albizia lophanta, Araujia sericifera, Betula alba, Carpinus betulus, Catalpa bignonioides, Cedrus atlantica, Celtis australis, Ceratonia siliqua, Chorisia insignis, Corylus avellana, Diospyros kaki, Eriobotrya japonica, Erythrina crista-galli, Feijoa sellowiana, Gleditschia triacanthos, Hovenia dulcis, Juglans regia, Macfadyena unguis-cati, Maclura pomifera, Magnolia grandiflora, Ostrya carpinifolia, Passiflora antioquiensis, Persea americana, Picea abies, Pinus pinea, Populus nigra, Prunus avium, Psidium guajava, Quercus pedunculata, Salix alba, and Ulmus campestris.
Burano is an island in the Venetian Lagoon, northern Italy, near Torcello at the northern end of the lagoon, known for its lace work and brightly coloured homes. The primary economy is tourism.
Noale is a town in the Metropolitan City of Venice, Veneto, Italy.
The town is home to the cult Hard rock/Heavy Metal band Catarrhal Noise, and to the motorcycle company Aprilia.
The most important event of the town is the Palio (a medieval festival).