One of the six sestieri of Venice, historical neighbourhood
Wikimedia Commons category: San Marco (Venice)
English San Marco
San Marco is one of the six sestieri of Venice, lying in the heart of the city as the main place of Venice. San Marco also includes the island of San Giorgio Maggiore. Although the district includes Saint Mark's Square, that was never administered as part of the sestiere.
Source: San Marco
German San Marco (Sestiere di Venezia)
San Marco ist einer der sechs Stadtteile (Sestieri) der Altstadt Venedigs. Das Stadtsechstel erstreckt sich über eine Fläche von 34 Hektar. Es gilt als geistiger und politischer Mittelpunkt, da dort die Regierung und Verwaltung der Republik Venedig ihren Sitz im Dogenpalast und den Bauten am Markusplatz nahmen. San Marco hatte (Stand: 12. Dezember 2007) 4.236 Einwohner, die sich auf die vier Pfarreien San Moisé (mit der Kirche Santa Maria del Giglio), Santo Stefano, San Luca und San Salvador (mit den Kirchen San Bartolomeo und San Zulian) verteilen.
Source: San Marco (Sestiere di Venezia)
Russian Сан-Марко (район)
Сан-Марко (итал. San Marco) — центральный из шести исторических районов Венеции. Район также включает в себя остров Сан-Джорджо Маджоре.
Название района произошло от имени покровителя Венеции — Святого Марка.
В районе сосредоточено большинство главных объектов и достопримечательностей острова, включая центральный комплекс Сан-Марко, в который входят:
Собор Святого Марка
Старые и Новые Прокурации
Ала НаполеоникаКроме того, в районе располагается большое количество других достопримечательностей:
Театр Ла Фениче
Палаццо Контарини дель Боволо
Палаццо Контарини Фазан
церкви Сан-Бенето, Сан-Фантин, Санта-Мария дель Гильо, Сан-Маурицио, Сан-Муазе, Санто-Стефано, Сан-Сальвадор, Сан-Джулиан и Сан-Самуэль.
Source: Сан-Марко (район)
Ukrainian Сан-Марко (район Венеції)
Сан-Марко (італ. San Marco) — центральний з шести історичних районів (сест'єре) Венеції. Район також включає острів Сан-Джорджо Маджоре і 44 мости. Населення району становить 4 236 осіб.
Назва району походить від імені покровителя Венеції — Святого Марка.
У районі зосереджено більшість головних об'єктів і визначних пам'яток острова, включаючи центральний комплекс Сан-Марко, в який входять:
Собор Святого Марка
Старі і Нові Прокурації
Годинникова БаштаКрім того, в районі розташовується велика кількість інших визначних пам'яток:
Театр ла Феніче
Палаццо Контаріні дель Боволо
Церкви: Сан-Бенето, Сан-Фантін, Санта-Марія дель Гільо, Сан-Мауріцио, Сан-Муазе, Санто-Стефано, Сан-Сальвадор, Сан-Джуліан і Сан-Самуель.
Source: Сан-Марко (район Венеції)
Spanish San Marco (Venecia)
San Marco es uno de los seis sestieri de Venecia, y queda en el corazón de la ciudad. San Marco también incluye la isla de San Giorgio Maggiore. Aunque el distrito incluye la plaza de San Marcos, que nunca fue administrada como parte del sestiere.
El 12 de diciembre del 2007 el sestiere contaba con 4.236 habitantes.
El pequeño distrito incluye muchos de los lugares más famosos de Venecia, entre ellos la Basílica de San Marcos, el Palacio Ducal, Harry's Bar, el Palacio Dandolo, el teatro de La Fenice, el Palacio Grassi, el Palacio Fortuny y las iglesias de San Beneto, San Fantin, Santa Maria del Giglio, San Maurizio, San Moisè, Santo Stefano, San Salvador, San Zulian y San Samuele.
La zona está densamente construida y era el lugar donde se encontraba el gobierno de Venecia. Ahora está densamente ocupada por los turistas y hay muchos hoteles, bancos y caras tiendas de comercio minorista.
Source: San Marco (Venecia)
French San Marco (Venise)
San Marco est un des six sestieri de Venise dont il constitue le cœur depuis la fondation de la Sérénissime.
Source: San Marco (Venise)
Italian San Marco (sestiere di Venezia)
San Marco è uno dei sestieri di Venezia.
Il 12 dicembre 2007 il sestiere contava 4 236 abitanti.
Source: San Marco (sestiere di Venezia)
pt San Marco (Veneza)
San Marco é o sestiere mais central de Veneza. É neste sestiere que se situa a Praça de São Marcos, a Basílica, e o seu Campanário.
Source: San Marco (Veneza)
该区包括威尼斯许多著名的旅游景点，其中包括圣马可广场，圣马尔谷大殿，总督宫，哈利酒吧（Harry's Bar）、丹多洛宫（Palazzo Dandolo），威尼斯凤凰剧院（Teatro La Fenice），格拉西宫（Palazzo Grassi），教堂还有：圣路加堂（San Luca）、圣本笃堂（San Beneto）、圣方坦教堂（San Fantin），百合圣母教堂（Chiesa di Santa Maria del Giglio）、圣穆理思堂（San Maurizio），圣梅瑟堂（San Moisè），圣斯德望堂（Santo Stefano di Venezia）, 圣救主堂（San Salvador di Venezia），圣儒利安堂（San Zulian）和圣撒慕尔堂（San Samuele）。
Places located in San Marco
The Museo Correr (Italian pronunciation: [muˈzɛo korˈrɛr]) is a museum in Venice, northern Italy. Located in St. Mark's Square, Venice, it is one of the 11 civic museums run by the Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia. The museum extends along the southside of the square on the upper floors of the Procuratorie Nuove. With its rich and varied collections, the Museo Correr covers both the art and history of Venice.
Piazza San Marco (Italian pronunciation: [ˈpjattsa sam ˈmarko]; Venetian: Piasa San Marco), often known in English as St Mark's Square, is the principal public square of Venice, Italy, where it is generally known just as la Piazza ("the Square"). All other urban spaces in the city (except the Piazzetta and the Piazzale Roma) are called campi ("fields"). The Piazzetta ("little Piazza/Square") is an extension of the Piazza towards San Marco basin in its south east corner (see plan). The two spaces together form the social, religious and political centre of Venice and are commonly considered together. This article relates to both of them.
A remark usually attributed (though without proof) to Napoleon calls the Piazza San Marco "the drawing room of Europe".
Teatro La Fenice (pronounced [la feˈniːtʃe], "The Phoenix") is an opera house in Venice, Italy. It is one of "the most famous and renowned landmarks in the history of Italian theatre", and in the history of opera as a whole. Especially in the 19th century, La Fenice became the site of many famous operatic premieres at which the works of several of the four major bel canto era composers – Rossini, Bellini, Donizetti, Verdi – were performed.
Its name reflects its role in permitting an opera company to "rise from the ashes" despite losing the use of three theatres to fire, the first in 1774 after the city's leading house was destroyed and rebuilt but not opened until 1792; the second fire came in 1836, but rebuilding was completed within a year. However, the third fire was the result of arson. It destroyed the house in 1996 leaving only the exterior walls, but it was rebuilt and re-opened in November 2004. In order to celebrate this event the tradition of the Venice New Year's Concert started.
The Portrait of the Four Tetrarchs is a porphyry sculpture group of four Roman emperors dating from around 300 AD. The sculptural group has been fixed to a corner of the façade of St Mark's Basilica in Venice, Italy since the Middle Ages. It probably formed part of the decorations of the Philadelphion in Constantinople, and was removed to Venice in 1204 or soon after.
Spolia from the Fourth Crusade, the statues were originally designed as two separate sculptures, each consisting of a pair of armoured late Roman emperors embracing one another. The paired statues stand on plinths supported by a console of the same stone, and their backs are engaged in the remains of large porphyry columns to which the statues were once attached, carved all of a piece. The columns no longer exist, and one emperor pair is missing part of the plinth and an emperor's foot, which has been found in Istanbul. One statue pair has been sliced vertically and is missing a large portion of the right-hand emperor's right side, while another vertical slice divides the two figures and has sawn through their embracing arms.
The Portrait of the Four Tetrarchs probably depicts the four rulers of the Empire instituted by Emperor Diocletian - the first Tetrarchy. He appointed as co-augustus Maximian; they chose Galerius and Constantius I as their caesares; Constantius was father to Constantine the Great. There is disagreement as to the identity of these statues and their placement, but it is suggested that the Eastern rulers form a pair and the Western rulers form the other pair, each pair consisting of the senior augustus and the junior caesar. Another possibility is that the two augusti are depicted in one pair and the two caesares in the other. A third, older theory is that they represent a dynastic group of the Constantinian dynasty.
The Patriarchal Cathedral Basilica of Saint Mark (Italian: Basilica Cattedrale Patriarcale di San Marco), commonly known as St Mark's Basilica (Italian: Basilica di San Marco; Venetian: Baxéłega de San Marco), is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Venice, northern Italy. It is the most famous of the city's churches and one of the best known examples of Italo-Byzantine architecture. It lies at the eastern end of the Piazza San Marco, adjacent and connected to the Doge's Palace. Originally it was the chapel of the Doge, and has been the city's cathedral only since 1807, when it became the seat of the Patriarch of Venice, archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Venice, formerly at San Pietro di Castello.
The building's structure dates back to the later part of the 11th century, and the most likely influence on its architecture and design is the Hagia Sophia. Much work has gone toward embellishing this, and the famous main façade has an ornamented roofline that is mostly Gothic. The gold ground mosaics that now cover almost all the upper areas of the interior took centuries to complete. In the 13th century the external height of the domes was greatly increased by hollow drums raised on a wooden framework and covered with metal; the original ones are shallower, as can be seen on the inside. This change makes the domes visible from the piazza.
Many of its rich artifacts and relics were plundered from Constantinople in the Fourth Crusade in 1204 CE, including many artifacts from the Hagia Sophia. The famous Madonna Nicopeia, also known as the icon of the Virgin Nicopeia, was looted from the Monastery of Stoudios and was one of the city's most precious icons, carried into battle by various Byzantine emperors. The icon was brought to Venice by Enrico Dandolo (d. 1205 CE) and the altar of the Virgin Nicopeia remains in St. Mark's Basilica until today. To the Venetians, the icon was a symbol that God had transferred His blessing from Constantinople to Venice by military conquest.For its opulent design, gold ground mosaics, and its status as a symbol of Venetian wealth and power, from the 11th century on the building has been known by the nickname Chiesa d'Oro (Church of gold). It achieves an Oriental feeling of exoticism, has all the elements of the Venetian style of the Renaissance Art, remains unique, and essentially a product of Italian workers of all sorts.
The Bridge of Sighs (Italian: Ponte dei Sospiri, Venetian: Ponte de i Sospiri) is a bridge in Venice, Italy. The enclosed bridge is made of white limestone, has windows with stone bars, passes over the Rio di Palazzo, and connects the New Prison (Prigioni Nuove) to the interrogation rooms in the Doge's Palace. It was designed by Antonio Contino, whose uncle Antonio da Ponte designed the Rialto Bridge, and it was built in 1600.
The Doge's Palace (Italian: Palazzo Ducale; Venetian: Pałaso Dogal) is a palace built in Venetian Gothic style, and one of the main landmarks of the city of Venice in northern Italy. The palace was the residence of the Doge of Venice, the supreme authority of the former Republic. It was built in 1340, and extended and modified in the following centuries. It became a museum in 1923, and is one of the 11 museums run by the Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia.
The Chiesa di San Salvatore (of the Holy Savior) is a church in Venice, northern Italy. Known in Venetian as San Salvador, is located on the Campo San Salvador, along the Merceria, the main shopping street of Venice. The church was first consecrated in 1177 by Pope Alexander III shortly after his reconciliation with Emperor Frederick Barbarossa at nearby San Marco. The present church, however, was begun in around 1508 by Giorgio Spavento and continued after his death the following year by Tullio Lombardo, Vincenzo Scamozzi and possibly Jacopo Sansovino. They built a large hall church, formed from three Greek crosses placed end to end. Each has a dome with a lantern to let light into the cavernous interior. The facade was added in 1663 by Giuseppe Sardi.
Adjoining the church is the former monastery, now the offices of the telephone company, which still contain Sansovino's magnificent cloisters.
San Salvador is the parish church of a parish in the Vicariate of San Marco-Castello. Other churches in the parish are San Bartolomeo and San Zulian.
San Salvador is a small, but the still-active religious, cultural and social centre.Below the left column on the facade, there is a cannonball embedded in the base of the column. It derived from a bombardment in 1849 by Austrian forces in the port of Marghera, of the independent republic which had been proclaimed by Daniele Manin.
The Teatro San Angelo (in Venetian dialect) or Teatro Sant' Angelo (in Italian) was once a theatre in Venice which ran from 1677 until 1803.
It was the last of the major Venetian theatres to be built in the 1650s–60s opera craze following Teatro Santi Giovanni e Paolo in 1654, Teatro San Samuele 1655, Teatro San Salvatore 1661, Teatro San Giovanni Crisostomo in 1667.The Teatro San Angelo was located in the Campo San[t'] Angelo, facing the Grand Canal and Rialto Bridge, on the sites of two demolished palazzi belonging to the Marcellos and Capellos. The project was completed in 1676 by Francesco Santorini, and opened in 1677 under the families of Benedetto Marcello and the Capellos.
The house was opened with the opera Helena rapita da Paride of Domenico Freschi, (1677) and continued with operas by Freschi, Gasparini, Albinoni and Bononcini. From around 1715 onwards the house was best known as the venue of many of the operas of Antonio Vivaldi. Under Vivaldi the opera house became increasingly populist and commercial. Soon theatre was home to the operas of Baldassare Galuppi, (Argenide 1733), and plays of Goldoni.
In the 1790s the Abate Pietro Chiari wrote for the Teatro San Angelo, and in 1797 Casanova wrote an attack on Chiari incurring the enmity of Antonio Condulmer, co-owner of the theatre and a member of the Council of Ten. At this point the theatre was in terminal decline.
The theatre closed in 1803 and was converted into a warehouse. It was then demolished and rebuilt as the Barocci Palazzo, today the four star Hotel NH Collection Palazzo Barocci.
The Museo Fortuny or Fortuny Museum is an art museum in San Marco, in central Venice, Italy.
The museum is housed in the Palazzo Pesaro Orfei, now often known as Palazzo Fortuny, where Mariano Fortuny (1871–1949) had a studio in the late nineteenth century, and lived from 1902.:49The museum presents paintings, fabrics, and Fortuny’s lamps on the first floor, together with the history of the palazzo and its atelier on the second floor. The building still has features created by Fortuny. The working environment is represented through wall-hangings, paintings, and lamps.
Fortuny died in 1949, and in 1956 the Palazzo Pesaro Orfei was gifted to the comune of Venice; the comune took full possession only in 1965, after the death of Fortuny's widow, Henriette Negrin. The museum was opened in 1975. It is run by the Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia.
The website for the museum is at: Fortuny Museum Website
Palazzo Grassi (also known as the Palazzo Grassi-Stucky) is a building in the Venetian Classical style located on the Grand Canal of Venice (Italy), between the Palazzo Moro Lin and the campo San Samuele.
The National Archaeological Museum (Italian: Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Venezia) is a museum located right on Piazza San Marco in Venice.
The National Archaeological Museum was established in 1523 by Cardinal Domenico Grimani. This Museum has a great collection of Greek and Roman sculptures, ceramics, coins and stones dating back as far as the 1st Century B.C. Some of the archeological collections from the Correr Museum are also housed here.
Visitors can also view the elegant vases, impeccable ivories, portraits of long-ago Roman emperors, marbles and busts, gems and jewelry in this museum. Numerous treasured relics of Assyro-Babylonian, Greek, Tuscan, Roman and Egyptian origins will enlighten the visitors seeking pieces of Neolithic Age. Visitors will relish other highlights such as the Armenian-Venetian collection, legal texts dating back to the 17th Century, and bilingual dictionaries.
St Mark's Campanile (Italian: Campanile di San Marco) is the bell tower of St Mark's Basilica in Venice, Italy. The current campanile is a reconstruction completed in 1912, the historical tower having collapsed in 1902. At 98.6 metres (323 ft) in height, it is the tallest structure in Venice and is colloquially termed "el paròn de casa" (the master of the house). It is one of the most recognizable symbols of the city.Located in Saint Mark's Square near the mouth of the Grand Canal, the campanile was initially intended as a watchtower to sight approaching ships and protect the entry to the city. It also served as a landmark to guide Venetian ships safely into harbour. Construction began in the early tenth century and continued sporadically over time as the tower was slowly raised in height. A belfry and a spire were first added in the twelfth century. In the fourteenth century the spire was gilded, making the tower visible to distant ships in the Adriatic. The campanile reached its full height in 1514 when the belfry and spire were completely rebuilt on the basis of an earlier Renaissance design by Giorgio Spavento. Historically, the bells served to regulate the civic and religious life of Venice, marking the beginning, pauses, and end of the work day; the convocation of government assemblies; and public executions.
The campanile stands alone in the square, near the front of St Mark's Basilica. It has a simple form, recalling its early defensive function, the bulk of which is a square brick shaft with lesenes, 12 metres (39 ft) wide on each side and 50 metres (160 ft) tall. The belfry is topped by an attic with effigies of the Lion of St Mark and allegorical figures of Venice as Justice. The tower is capped by a pyramidal spire at the top of which there is a golden weather vane in the form of the archangel Gabriel.
The Chiesa di San Giuliano (St Julian), commonly called San Zulian in the Venetian dialect, is a church in Venice. San Zulian is in the parish of San Salvador.
It is situated on the Merceria, the main shopping street of the city. Originally a structure from the 9th century; it underwent a number of reconstructions, including likely after the 1105 fire of the neighborhood. The façade was constructed in 1553-1554 by Jacopo Sansovino, and completed after his death in 1570 by Alessandro Vittoria.
The flattened classical temple façade was paid for by the scholar Tommaso Rangone, whose bronze seated portrait appears above the door. In his hands, the physician Rangone holds sarsaparilla and guaiacum, two plants which he used to treat syphilis and yellow fever. The reliefs also depict a map of the world as was known at his death. As befitting his broad-ranging interests in classic texts, the flanking inscriptions are in Latin (center), Greek (right) and Hebrew (left) text.
The interior was also designed by Sansovino, and the church consecrated in 1580.
Caffè Florian is a coffee house situated in the Procuratie Nuove of Piazza San Marco, Venice. It was established in 1720 and is the oldest coffee house in continuous operation in Italy, and the oldest in the world.
The Teatro San Gallo in Venice, was built during the early part of the 20th century in the original courtyard of a 13th-century palazzo just behind Piazza San Marco in Venice. Some of the original features of the original palazzo are still visible in various parts of the theatre.
The theatre is located in Campo Rusolo o San Gallo, a small campo just behind Piazza San Marco and close to Bacino Orselo. The theatre has 260 seats. Since 2008 the theatre has been home to a nightly performance of Venezia The Show about Venice.
Teatro San Samuele was an opera house and theatre located at the Rio del Duca, between Campo San Samuele and Campo Santo Stefano, in Venice. One of several important theatres built in that city by the Grimani family, the theatre opened in 1656 and operated continuously until a fire destroyed the theatre in 1747. A new structure was built and opened in 1748, but financial difficulties forced the theatre to close and be sold in 1770. The theatre remained active until 1807 when it was shut down by Napoleonic decree. It reopened in 1815 and was later acquired by impresario Giuseppe Camploy in 1819. In 1853 the theatre was renamed the Teatro Camploy. Upon Camploy's death in 1889, the theatre was bequeathed to the City of Verona. The Venice City Council in turn bought the theatre and demolished it in 1894.
The Teatro Goldoni (formerly Teatro San Luca, Teatro Vendramin di San Salvatore) is one of the opera houses and theatres of Venice. Today it is the home of the Teatro Stabile del Veneto. The modern theatre is located near the Rialto Bridge in the historic center of Venice.
The Fondaco dei Tedeschi (Venetian: Fontego dei Tedeschi) is a historic building in Venice, northern Italy, situated on the Grand Canal near the Rialto Bridge. It was the headquarters and restricted living quarters of the city's German (Tedeschi) merchants.
The Teatro San Benedetto was a theatre in Venice, particularly prominent in the operatic life of the city in the 18th and early 19th centuries. It saw the premieres of over 140 operas, including Rossini's L'italiana in Algeri, and was the theatre of choice for the presentation of opera seria until La Fenice was built in 1792.
The Chiesa di Santo Stefano (Church of St. Stephen) is a large Roman Catholic church at the northern end of the Campo Santo Stefano in the sestiere of San Marco, Venice, Italy.
The Palazzo Grimani di San Luca is a Renaissance-style palace, located between the Palazzo Corner Valmarana and the Rio di San Luca and the flanking Palazzo Corner Contarini dei Cavalli on the Grand Canal in the sestiere of San Marco of the city of Venice, Italy.
The Clock Tower in Venice is an early Renaissance building on the north side of the Piazza San Marco, at the entrance to the Merceria. It comprises a tower, which contains the clock, and lower buildings on each side. It adjoins the eastern end of the Procuratie Vecchie. Both the tower and the clock date from the last decade of the 15th century, though the mechanism of the clock has subsequently been much altered. It was placed where the clock would be visible from the waters of the lagoon and give notice to everyone of the wealth and glory of Venice. The lower two floors of the tower make a monumental archway into the main street of the city, the Merceria, which linked the political and religious centre (the Piazza) with the commercial and financial centre (the Rialto). Today it is one of the 11 venues managed by the Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia.
Campo Santo Stefano is a city square near the Ponte dell'Accademia, in the sestiere of San Marco, Venice, Italy.
The Teatro San Moisè was a theatre and opera house in Venice, active from 1620 to 1818. It was in a prominent location near the Palazzo Giustinian and the church of San Moisè at the entrance to the Grand Canal.
|part of||Grand Canal|