one of the six sestieri of Venice, historical neighbourhood
Wikimedia Commons category: Cannaregio (Venice)
Cannaregio (Italian pronunciation: [kannaˈredʒo]) is the northernmost of the six historic sestieri (districts) of Venice. It is the second largest sestiere by land area and the largest by population, with 13,169 people as of 2007.Isola di San Michele, the historic cemetery island, is associated with the district.
Cannaregio ist der am dichtesten besiedelte Stadtteil (Sestiere von Venedig) Venedigs. Die 13.169 Einwohner (Stand 12. Dezember 2007) des Sestiere verteilen sich auf die Pfarren San Giobbe e Bernardino (mit Opera Pia Contarini), San Marcuola (mit Santa Fosca), Madonna dell’Orto (mit San Marziale, Ospedale Fatebenefratelli und Casa Card. Piazza), Sant’Alvise (mit San Bonaventura (Carmelitane) und Canossiane), San Girolamo (mit Santa Maria Madre del Redentore und Ist. Suore Dorotee), San Felice (mit Santa Sofia), Santi Apostoli (mit Gesuiti) und San Canciano (mit San Giovanni Crisostomo und Santa Maria dei Miracoli). Die Flächenausdehnung beträgt 150 Hektar.Cannaregio liegt im Nordwesten von Venedig und wird von der flächenmäßigen Ausdehnung nur noch von Castello übertroffen. Der Name leitet sich angeblich vom Zustand des Sestiere ab, den es vor der Besiedlung hatte, als es sich noch um ein versumpftes Gebiet handelte, in dem Schilfrohr (italienisch canna: Schilf) wuchs.
Каннаре́джо (итал. Cannaregio) — один из шести исторических районов Венеции. Расположен в северной части города и является самым отдалённым. Каннареджо — самая населённая часть Венеции, в районе проживает более 20 000 человек.
Название района произошло от итальянского аналога слова «Главный канал» (или канава).
Название района произошло от болота и росшего на нём тростника (по итальянски canne).
Район мало привлекателен для туристов, за исключением вокзала и двух оживлённых улиц в южной части.
Главными достопримечательностями района является Гетто и готическая церковь Мадонна делл'Орто.
Каннареджо (італ. Cannaregio) — один з шести історичних районів (сест'єре) Венеції.
Назва району походить від болота, і очерету, що ріс на ньому (італ. canne).
Район розташовується в північній частині міста і є найвіддаленішим. Каннареджо найнаселеніша частина Венеції, в районі проживає понад 20 000 чоловік.
Район мало привабливий для туристів, за винятком вокзалу і двох багатолюдних вулиць в південній частині.
Головними визначними пам'ятками району є Гетто і готична церква Мадонна делл'Орто.
Cannaregio es uno de los seis barrios de la ciudad de Venecia. Es el área de la ciudad de mayoría clase trabajadora.
En 1516 se convirtió en el gueto judío y se cercó con puertas vigiladas por guardias, para que los judíos se mantuvieran separados del resto de los venecianos. Por cierto, precisamente se cree que el origen de la palabra gueto está en la palabra gettare, que significa fundir, ya que en Cannaregio había fundiciones. Tras la presencia judía, la palabra se adapta y se aplica al lugar donde se aísla a los judíos.
Cannaregio (Canaregio en vénitien) est le plus septentrional des six sestieri de Venise. C'est sur ce sestiere qu'arrive le pont de la Liberté qui relie la ville au continent et le pont des Lagunes du chemin de fer.
Cannaregio (AFI: /kannaˈreʤo/; Canarégio in veneto) è un sestiere di Venezia.
Il 12 dicembre 2007 il sestiere contava 13.169 abitanti.
Cannaregio é o sestiere mais setentrional de Veneza. É neste sestiere que termina a Ponte della Libertà que liga a cidade ao continente e a estação ferroviária de Venezia Santa Lucia.
古老的墓地岛屿圣米凯莱岛（Isola di San Michele）也属于该区。
Places located in Cannaregio
Santa Maria dei Miracoli is a church in the sestiere of Cannaregio, in Venice, Italy. Also known as the "marble church", it is one of the best examples of the early Venetian Renaissance including colored marble, a false colonnade on the exterior walls (pilasters), and a semicircular pediment. The organisation "Save Venice" restored the church over a period of ten years, from 1987 to 1997 (they had estimated as period of two years). The marble cladding contained 14 percent of salts, and was on the point of bursting. All marble cladding was removed, and cleaned in stainless steel tanks, in a solution of distilled water. The restoration was calculated to cost 1 million dollars, the final cost was 4 million dollars. The main altar is reached by a series of steps. The circular facade windows recall Donato Bramante's churches in Milan.
Built between 1481 and 1489 by Pietro Lombardo to house a miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary. The plans for the church were expanded in 1484 to include the construction of a new convent for nuns of St. Clare to the east. The convent was connected to the gallery of the church by an enclosed walkway that was later destroyed.
The interior is enclosed by a wide barrel vault, with a single nave. The nave is dominated by an ornamental marble stair rising between two pulpits, with statues by Tullio Lombardo, Alessandro Vittoria and Niccolò di Pietro. The vaulted ceiling is divided into fifty coffers decorated with paintings of prophets, a work by Girolamo Pennacchi's contemporaries, Vincenzo dalle Destre and Lattanzio da Rimini.
The Teatro Malibran, known over its lifetime by a variety of names, beginning with the Teatro San Giovanni Grisostomo (or Crisostomo) after the nearby church, is an opera house in Venice which was inaugurated in 1678 with a production of the premiere of Carlo Pallavicino's opera Vespasiano. By 1683, it had quickly become known as "the biggest, most beautiful and richest theatre in the city" and its operatic importance throughout the 17th and 18th centuries led to an even grander description by 1730:
A true kingdom of marvels....that with the vastness of its magnificent dimension can be rightly compared to the splendours of ancient Rome and that with the grandeur of its more than regal dramatic performances has now conquered the applause and esteem of the whole world.Richly decorated, the theatre consisted of five levels of thirty boxes and a large stalls area. However, as an opera house, its success was short-lived and from 1751 to 1800, opera was rarely performed there. Taken over by the municipality in 1797, it became the Teatro Civico until purchased by a partnership and restored in 1819. It re-opened again, this time in private hands, with Rossini's La gazza ladra. But deterioration continued, the partnership broke up, and the remaining partner, Giovanni Gallo, continued with additional refurbishment, giving it the new name of the Teatro Emeronitto (Theatre of Day and Night) and inaugurating it in December 1834 with Donizetti's L'elisir d'amore.When the famous soprano Maria Malibran came to sing Vincenzo Bellini's La sonnambula on 8 April 1835, she was clearly appalled at the condition of the theatre since Lynn reports that "she refused her fee, telling the impresario to 'use it for the theatre' " At that point the opera house became the Teatro Malibran in the singer's honour and it is the name by which the theatre has been known ever since.
San Giovanni Grisostomo (English: Saint John Chrysostom) is a small church in the sestiere or neighborhood of Cannaregio, Venice.
The church was founded in 1080, destroyed by fire in 1475, then rebuilt starting in 1497 by Mauro Codussi and his son, Domenico. Construction was completed in 1525. The bell tower dates from the late 16th century. The interior is based on a Greek cross design.
Behind the façade are hung two canvasses, formerly organ doors, by Giovanni Mansueti depicting Saints Onuphrius, Agatha, Andrew and John Chrysostom. Onuphrius was the co-titular patron saint who was revered by the confraternity of the Tentori (dyers of fabrics, covers, and sheets). In 1516, a relic of the saint, his finger, was donated to this church.
The chapel on the right has the painting Saints Christopher, Jerome and Louis of Toulouse (1513) by Giovanni Bellini. On the left rear, the chapel of the Rosary or Madonna della Grazie has an altarpiece of Saints John Chrysostom, John the Baptist, John the Evangelist, Theodore, Mary Magdalene, Lucy and Catherine by Sebastiano del Piombo, commissioned by Caterina Contarini. On the wall of the apse are a series of canvases on the life of Saint John Chrysostom and Christ. On the high altar is a relief of the Deposition from the Cross. To the left is the chapel built for Giacomo Bernabò, with sculptural design by Codussi. The marble altarpiece of the Coronation of the Virgin (1500–1502) was completed by Tullio Lombardo.
Ceiling: God the Father, fresco by Giuseppe Diamantini.
The Ponte della Costituzione (English: Constitution Bridge) is the fourth bridge over the Grand Canal in Venice, Italy. It was designed by Santiago Calatrava, and was moved into place in 2007 (connecting Stazione di Santa Lucia to Piazzale Roma), amid protest by politicians and the general public. The bridge was installed in 2008 and opened to the public on the night of September 11, 2008. The bridge was known as Quarto Ponte sul Canal Grande before the official name was adopted to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Italian constitution in 2008. Tourists and locals in Venice now refer to it as the Calatrava Bridge (Italian: Ponte di Calatrava).
Venezia Santa Lucia (Italian: Stazione di Venezia Santa Lucia) (IATA: XVQ) is the central station of Venice in the north-east of Italy. It is a terminus and located at the northern edge of Venice's historic city (Italian: Centro storico).
The station is one of Venice's two most important railway stations; the other one is Venezia Mestre, a mainline junction station on Venice's mainland district of Mestre. Both Santa-Lucia and Mestre stations are managed by Grandi Stazioni and they are connected to each other by Ponte della Libertà (English: Liberty Bridge).
The Ca' d'Oro or Palazzo Santa Sofia is a palace on the Grand Canal in Venice, northern Italy. One of the older palaces in the city, its name means "golden house" due to the gilt and polychrome external decorations which once adorned its walls. Since 1927, it has been used as a museum, as the Galleria Giorgio Franchetti.
It has long been regarded as the best surviving palazzo in Venetian Gothic architecture, retaining all the most characteristic features, despite some losses. On the facade, the loggia-like window group of closely spaced small columns, with heavy tracery with quatrefoil openings above, uses the formula from the Doge's Palace that had become iconic. There are also the byzantine-inspired decoration along the roofline, and patterning in fancy coloured stone to the flat wall surfaces. The smaller windows show a variety of forms with an ogee arch, capped with a relief ornament, and the edges and zone boundaries are marked with ropework reliefs.
The Church of St Job (Italian: Chiesa di San Giobbe) is a 15th-century Roman Catholic church located overlooking the campo of the same name, known as Sant'Agiopo in Venetian dialect, on the south bank of the Cannaregio canal near Ponte dei Tre Archi in the sestiere of Cannaregio of Venice, northern Italy,
The Madonna dell'Orto is a church in Venice, Italy, in the sestiere of Cannaregio.
The Ca' Sagredo is a 14th-century Byzantine-Gothic style palace located on the corner of the Strada Nuova and Campo Santa Sofia, in the sestiere of Cannaregio in central Venice, Italy. It now faces the Grand Canal (Venice), and across the campo from the Ca' Foscari. On the left side there is the Palazzo Giustinian Pesaro.
The church of Santa Maria Assunta, known as I Gesuiti, is a religious building in Venice, northern Italy. It is located in the sestiere of Cannaregio, in Campo dei Gesuiti, not far from the Fondamenta Nuove.
The Teatro Santi Giovanni e Paolo (often written as Teatro SS. Giovanni e Paolo) was a theatre and opera house in Venice located on the Calle della Testa, and takes its name from the nearby Basilica of Santi Giovanni e Paolo, Venice. Built by the Grimani family in 1638, in its heyday it was considered the most beautiful and comfortable theatre in the city. The theatre played an important role in the development of opera and saw the premieres of several works by Francesco Cavalli, as well as Monteverdi's Il ritorno d'Ulisse in patria and L'incoronazione di Poppea.
The Galleria Giorgio Franchetti alla Ca' d'Oro is an intimate art museum located in the picturesque Ca' d'Oro on the Grand Canal in Venice, Italy.
|part of||Grand Canal|