locality of Berlin, Germany
Wikimedia Commons category: Berlin-Schöneberg
Schöneberg (German: [ˈʃøːnəˌbɛʁk] (listen)) is a locality of Berlin, Germany. Until Berlin's 2001 administrative reform it was a separate borough including the locality of Friedenau. Together with the former borough of Tempelhof it is now part of the new borough of Tempelhof-Schöneberg.
Schöneberg ist ein Ortsteil im Berliner Bezirk Tempelhof-Schöneberg. Schöneberg war bis 1920 eine eigenständige Stadt und geht auf eine mittelalterliche Dorfgründung im Bereich der heutigen Hauptstraße zurück. Zwischen 1920 und Ende 2000 gab es einen eigenständigen Bezirk Schöneberg, der neben dem namensgebenden Ortsteil noch den Ortsteil Friedenau umfasste. Der Bezirk Schöneberg wurde am 1. Januar 2001 im Rahmen einer Verwaltungsreform mit dem damaligen Bezirk Tempelhof fusioniert. Da der Bezirk Tempelhof mehr Einwohner und eine größere Fläche als der Bezirk Schöneberg hatte, wurde Tempelhof bei der Wahl des Namens für den neu formierten Bezirk Tempelhof-Schöneberg an die erste Stelle des Namens gestellt.
Polish Schöneberg (dzielnica Berlina)
Schöneberg, Berlin-Schöneberg – dzielnica (Ortsteil) Berlina w okręgu administracyjnym Tempelhof-Schöneberg. Od 1 października 1920 w granicach miasta.
W latach 1899–1920 należała do rejencji rejencji poczdamskiej w prowincji Brandenburgia.
W dzielnicy znajdują się stacje kolejowe Berlin Südkreuz i Berlin-Schöneberg.
Source: Schöneberg (dzielnica Berlina)
Шёнеберг (нем. Schöneberg) — район в седьмом административном округе Берлина Темпельхоф-Шёнеберг. Расположен в северной части округа. До 2001 года в Берлине имелся самостоятельный округ Шёнеберг, состоявший из современных районов Шёнеберг и Фриденау.
Berlin-Schöneberg [ˈʃøːnəˌbɛʁk] est l'un des six quartiers qui composent l'arrondissement de Tempelhof-Schöneberg dans la capitale allemande. Il a été intégré à Berlin lors de la réforme territoriale du Grand Berlin le 1er octobre 1920. Jusqu'en 2001 et la formation de l'actuel arrondissement, il faisait partie du district de Schöneberg.
Italian Schöneberg (Berlino)
Schöneberg è un quartiere (Ortsteil) di Berlino, appartenente al distretto di Tempelhof-Schöneberg.
Source: Schöneberg (Berlino)
舍讷贝格（德語：Schöneberg，德语：[ˈʃøːnəˌbɛʁk] （ 聆聽））是德国柏林的一个分区。2001年以前，它是柏林一个单独的区，包含了下属区弗里德瑙。2001年与滕珀爾霍夫合并为滕珀尔霍夫-舍讷贝格区。
Places located in Berlin-Schöneberg
Wittenbergplatz is a square in the central Schöneberg district of Berlin, Germany. One of the main plazas in the "City West" area, it is known for the large Kaufhaus des Westens (KaDeWe) department store on its southwestern side.
It was laid out between 1889 and 1892 in the course of the urban development in the western suburbs of Berlin's Wilhelmine Ring according to the Hobrecht-Plan. The square was then part of a major boulevard running from Kreuzberg to Charlottenburg with numerous sections named after victorious commanders in the German Campaign during the Napoleonic Wars, colloquially called Generalszug. The westernmost section was named Tauentzienstraße after General Bogislav von Tauentzien, who had received the honorific title von Wittenberg after the storming of the French-occupied town of Wittenberg on 14 February 1814 (although General Lieutenant Leopold Wilhelm von Dobschütz had actually led the Prussian troops). Therefore, the adjacent square got the name Wittenbergplatz
Since then, the square forms the eastern terminus of Tauentzienstraße, today a major shopping street, connecting it with Breitscheidplatz in the west. In 1902 Wittenbergplatz station opened on the first Berlin U-Bahn line (Stammstrecke); ten years later, it was rebuilt including an impressive entrance hall in the centre of the square, designed by Alfred Grenander. The KaDeWe department store opened in 1907 on the corner of Wittenbergplatz and Tauentzienstraße, it is today the largest department store in Continental Europe. The northern side of the square is home to street markets four times a week. The south side of the square features the fountain Lebensalter.
The Neues Schauspielhaus (English: New Theatre) at 5 Nollendorfplatz in the Schöneberg district of Berlin was built in 1905 as a theatre and concert hall (the Mozartsaal) in the then-fashionable Art Nouveau style. In 1911 the Mozartsaal was converted into a cinema with 925 seats.From the beginning of World War I the theatre turned into an operetta stage until in 1927, Erwin Piscator and Tilla Durieux opened their Theater am Nollendorfplatz in the building. Piscator created critical performances by playwrights like Ernst Toller and Walter Mehring, with artists like Bertolt Brecht, George Grosz and John Heartfield at times working with him. Piscator's theater went bankrupt in 1929, and he emigrated in 1931. After the Nazi takeover the house became an operetta theatre once again, now under the direction of Harald Paulsen.
While the auditorium was destroyed in World War II, the facade as well as the cinema survived and in 1951 was renamed the Metropol. Since 1977 it has been used as a discothèque and became a famous music club during the 1980s heyday of West Berlin, frequented by bands like Depeche Mode, Morrissey, The Cross, The Human League and Front 242. For a short time in 2000 it was the location of the KitKatClub and in 2005 the architect Hans Kollhoff remodeled the interior as the Goya night club. In 2019 it was reopened as the Metropol.
The Kaufhaus des Westens (German for "Department Store of the West"), usually abbreviated to KaDeWe, is a department store in Berlin. With over 60,000 square metres of selling space and more than 380,000 articles available, it is the second largest department store in Europe after Harrods in London. It attracts 40,000 to 50,000 visitors every day.
The store is located on Tauentzienstraße, a major shopping street, between Wittenbergplatz and Breitscheidplatz, near the centre of the former West Berlin. It is technically in the extreme northwest of the neighbourhood of Schöneberg.
Since 2015, KaDeWe has been owned by the Central Group, a Thailand-based international department store conglomerate.
St. Matthias is a Roman Catholic church in Berlin, serving a parish just in front of the Potsdam Gate.
The parish's first church was built in 1867-1868 using a 20,000 thaler donation from Prussian civil servant Matthias Aulike (his stipulation that it be served by a priest from his home diocese of Munster is still met today), making it the third oldest Roman Catholic parish in the city after those of St Hedwig and St. Sebastian. It rose from an initial 800 parishioners to 10,000 by around 1890 and an expansion to the first church proved inadequate.
A competition was therefore held to design a new church, with entries from August Menken among others. It was won by Engelbert Seibertz, with its foundation stone laid on 23 October 1893 by the parish priest and the consecration on 24 October 1895 led by Georg von Kopp, cardinal and bishop of Breslau. That new church was a hall church and still stands today on Winterfeldtplatz in the Schöneberg district.
Berlin Innsbrucker Platz is a railway station in the Schöneberg district of Berlin and located on the square of the same name. It is served by the Ringbahn lines , and of the Berlin S-Bahn, as well as by the U-Bahn line .
The platform is too short to cope for more than six cars. A buffer marks the end of the short U4 line, with an elongation not in sight.
Berlin Yorckstraße (German: Bahnhof Berlin Yorckstraße) is an S-Bahn and U-Bahn station located in the Schöneberg locality of central Berlin, Germany.
Berlin Sportpalast (German: [ˈʃpɔɐ̯tpaˌlast]; built 1910, demolished 1973) was a multi-purpose indoor arena located in the Schöneberg section of Berlin, Germany. Depending on the type of event and seating configuration, the Sportpalast could hold up to 14,000 people and was for a time the biggest meeting hall in Berlin. The Sportpalast is most known for speeches and rallies that took place during the Third Reich, particularly Nazi Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels's 1943 "Total War" speech.
Alter St.-Matthäus-Kirchhof (Alter Sankt-Matthäus-Kirchhof or Old St. Matthew's Churchyard) is a cemetery in Schöneberg, Berlin, Germany. It was established in 1856 by the Protestant parish of St. Matthew. It is known for its interment of the Brothers Grimm, Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, folklore tellers of "Cinderella" ("Aschenputtel"), "The Frog Prince" ("Der Froschkönig"), "Hansel and Gretel" ("Hänsel und Gretel"), "Rapunzel", "Rumpelstiltskin" ("Rumpelstilzchen"), and "Snow White" ("Schneewittchen"); Rudolf Virchow, variously known as "father of modern pathology", "father of modern medicine" or "father of social medicine"; and Claus von Stauffenberg, a German Army officer who almost assassinated Adolf Hitler. As for Stauffenberg, his corpse was exhumed by the SS on 22 July 1944, the day after his burial, and cremated to remove any traces of him. His tombstone, however, remains intact.
Berlin-Friedenau is a railway station in Berlin, Germany. Though it is named after the nearby Friedenau locality, the station officially is located in the southern area of the Schöneberg district. It was opened in 1891 with the Wannseebahn rapid transit railway. Today it is served by the S1 line of the Berlin S-Bahn.
Berlin Südkreuz (in English, literally: Berlin South Cross) is a railway station in the German capital Berlin. The station was originally opened in 1898 and is an interchange station. The Berlin Ringbahn line of the Berlin S-Bahn metro railway is situated on the upper level and connects to the east and west, whilst the Anhalter Bahn and Dresdner Bahn intercity railway routes reach the station on the lower, north-south level. The station was extensively rebuilt between the late 1990s and 2006, and was renamed Berlin Südkreuz on 28 May 2006.
Priesterweg station is on the Anhalt Suburban Line in the district of Schöneberg in the Berlin borough of Tempelhof-Schöneberg. It is served by Berlin S-Bahn lines S2, S25, and S26.
Berlin-Schöneberg (in German Bahnhof Berlin-Schöneberg) is a railway station in the district of Schöneberg, in the city of Berlin, Germany. It is a two-level exchange station serving the Wannseebahn suburban and the Ringbahn circular lines of the Berlin S-Bahn, with the lower level serving the Wannseebahn and the upper level the Ringbahn. The station lies just south of the Dominicusstraße and Sachsendamm streets, where local bus stops allow changing between S-Bahn and busses.
The Schöneberg station was opened on 1 March 1933 as a two-level exchange station between the Wannseebahn suburban line and the Berlin Ringbahn circular railway, in the course of the electrification of the Wannseebahn suburban line. Its Ringbahn level replaced the older Ebersstraße station on the Ringbahn, which was located slightly further west. The entry of the closed station was kept as entry to the western end of the Ringbahn platform of the new exchange station.The closure of the Ebersstraße station gave room for the building of the new Berlin Innsbrucker Platz station, opened on 1 July 1933, further west, on the Schloßstraße - Hauptstraße - Potsdamer Straße thoroughfare, with direct connection to the Schöneberg underground U-Bahn. With the opening of this new Schöneberg station, the old Schöneberg station which was located just north of the bridge which is now called Julius-Leber-Brücke was renamed to Kolonnenstraße; close to the site of the Berlin Julius-Leber-Brücke station.
Viktoria-Luise-Platz is a hexagonal place on Motzstraße in Schöneberg, Berlin. It was laid out in 1900. It is named after Princess Viktoria Luise of Prussia 1892 - 1980, the daughter of Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany, and Great-Grand daughter of Queen Victoria.
Nollendorfplatz (colloquially called Nolle or Nolli) is a square in the central Schöneberg district of Berlin, Germany.
Rathaus Schöneberg is the city hall for the borough of Tempelhof-Schöneberg in Berlin. From 1949 until 1990 it served as the seat of the state senate of West Berlin and from 1949 until 1991 as the seat of the Governing Mayor.
John-F.-Kennedy-Platz (John F. Kennedy Square), formerly Rudolph-Wilde-Platz, in the Schöneberg section of Berlin is the square in front of the former city hall of West Berlin (Rathaus Schöneberg). It was here that US President John F. Kennedy gave his famous speech to the Berliners, in which he stated: "Ich bin ein Berliner". The square was renamed John-F.-Kennedy-Platz on 25 November 1963, three days after Kennedy's assassination, and a large plaque dedicated to Kennedy was mounted on a column at the entrance to the city hall.
Tauentzienstraße (colloquially: der Tauentzien) is a major shopping street in the City West area of Berlin, Germany. With a length of about 500 m (1,600 ft), it runs between two important squares, Wittenbergplatz in the east and Breitscheidplatz in the west, where it is continued by the Kurfürstendamm boulevard. While the eastern half belongs to the Schöneberg district, the western part (beyond Nürnberger Straße) is in Charlottenburg.
Viktoria-Luise-Platz is a Berlin U-Bahn station located on the U 4.
In 1910, Town of Schöneberg, now a part of Berlin, built its own subway line, the U4. This station was built by E.Deneke. This shallow (4.2 m) station is decorated by green and white tiles on the walls as well as green tiles on the columns. Both the square and the subway station are protected by law as historic landmarks.
During the Second World War, bombing destroyed the station entrance; it was rebuilt in a simplified style after the war. After renovation, the entrance on Geisbergstrasse opened in 2003. There is no elevator at the station, only the stairway. The nearest stations "Nollendorfplatz" and "Bayerischer Platz", are both 865 m away.
Julius-Leber-Brücke is a railway station in the Schöneberg district of Berlin. Located under a bridge over the cutting created for the Berlin-Potsdam-Magdeburg railway. It was officially opened on 2 May 2008 and is served by the S-Bahn line .
The bridge is named after Resistance fighter Julius Leber. It was formerly named Sedanbrücke, after the Prusso-German victory in the Battle of Sedan in the Prusso-German war against France in 1870/71. The bridge connects the two ends of Kolonnenstraße.
The station has two platforms, of which only the inner platform edges are being used, serving the Wannseebahn line of the Berlin S-Bahn running between them.
Wittenbergplatz is a Berlin U-Bahn station on the U 1, the U 2, and U 3 lines. The station is located on Wittenbergplatz square in Berlin's City West area, in the northwestern corner of Schöneberg neighbourhood. It is the only U-Bahn station in the city with five adjacent tracks on three platforms. The station building, erected in 1911–1913 according to plans designed by Alfred Grenander, is listed as an architectural monument.
Nollendorfplatz is a Berlin U-Bahn station located on the U 1, the U 2, the U 3, and the U 4. It opened in 1902 and today is the only station in Berlin that is served by four metro lines (also the only one where all Kleinprofil (small profile) lines stop).
Bayerischer Platz is a Berlin U-Bahn station on the U 4 and the U 7 lines. The station is located under the square of the same name in the centre of the Bayerisches Viertel neighbourhood in Schöneberg. The U4 station opened with the rest of that line on 1 December 1910 and is now a protected historic landmark; the U7 part of the station opened on 29 January 1971.
Bülowstraße is a Berlin U-Bahn station located on the in the Schöneberg district. It opened in 1902 on the western branch of the Stammstrecke, Berlin's first U-Bahn line. Like the eponymous street, the station is named after the Prussian general Friedrich Wilhelm Freiherr von Bülow.
The station features in the 2011 film Unknown with Liam Neeson.
Kleistpark is a Berlin U-Bahn station on the U 7 line. The station was designed by the architect Rümmler, opened in 1971 (1971), and is located near the head office of the Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (Berlin Transport Company). The following station is Yorckstraße (with connections to S-Bahn lines S1, S2 and S25).
Eisenacher Straße is a Berlin U-Bahn station located on the .
R.G. Rümmler constructed this station which was opened 1971.
The wall is covered with green asbestos cement panels. Since Eisenach is a city near the forest in Thuringia, which is called the green heart of Germany, Rümmler chose green as the color of this station. The next station is Kleistpark.
Arc de 124,5° is an outdoor sculpture by the French conceptual artist Bernar Venet, installed in Tempelhof-Schöneberg, Berlin, Germany.
Rathaus Schöneberg (Schöneberg Town Hall) is a station on the line of the Berlin underground train network.
Designed by architect Johann Emil Schaudt, who also built the Bismarck Monument in Hamburg, the station was first opened in 1910 as Stadtpark (City Park). From 1940 to 1951 it was closed due to damage sustained during the Second World War. It re-opened under the current name in 1951.