street in Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Wikimedia Commons category: De Negen Straatjes
English Negen Straatjes
The 9 Straatjes' (English: Nine little streets) is a neighborhood of Amsterdam, Netherlands located in the borough Centrum. It consists of nine side streets of the Prinsengracht, Keizersgracht, Herengracht and Singel in central Amsterdam which have been promoting themselves with that name since the 1990s. Together they form a sub-neighborhood within the larger western Grachtengordel ("Canal Belt"), one with many small and diverse shops and restaurants. The construction in this area goes back to the first half of the 17th century.
De 9 Straatjes is bordered on the north by the Raadhuisstraat and on the south by the Leidsegracht. In between, the Prinsengracht, Keizersgracht, Herengracht and Singel are intersected by three cross streets - but each of the cross streets has different names in each of its sections between the canals.
From the Prinsengracht towards the Singel and beginning with the northernmost streets, the streets are:
Reestraat ("Roe Deer Street") – Hartenstraat ("Hearts Street") – Gasthuismolensteeg ("Inn Mill Alley")
Berenstraat ("Bear Street") – Wolvenstraat ("Wolf Street") – Oude Spiegelstraat ("Old Mirror Street")
Runstraat ("Cow Street") – Huidenstraat ("Skins" or "Pelts Street") – Wijde Heisteeg ("Wide Heath Street")The names are reminders of many of the types of work that were carried out here in centuries past, especially the processing of skins (cow, bear, wolf and roe deer skins).
Source: Negen Straatjes
German Neun Straßen
Die Neun Straßen (niederländisch: Negen Straatjes) liegen in der Innenstadt von Amsterdam und sind Seitenstraßen von der Prinsengracht, Keizersgracht, Herengracht und Singel, die den Amsterdamer Grachtengürtel (Grachtengordel) bilden. Zusammen formen diese neun Straßen ein Stadtviertel mit vielen kleinen Geschäften, Bars und Restaurants.
Source: Neun Straßen
French Negen Straatjes
Les Negen Straatjes (littéralement « Neuf petites rues » en néerlandais) désignent un petit quartier de la ville d'Amsterdam, composé de trois ensembles parallèles de trois ruelles séparées par le Prinsengracht, le Keizersgracht, le Herengracht et le Singel. Composées essentiellement de petites boutiques artisanales ou de vêtements ainsi que de restaurants, les neuf rues ont commencé leur promotion sous l'appellation au cours des années 1990. Elles constituent aujourd'hui une sous-division du quartier du Grachtengordel. La plupart des bâtiments qui y sont construits ont été bâtis au cours de la première moitié du XVIe siècle.
Source: Negen Straatjes
English The Nine Streets (De Negen Straatjes)
Nine narrow streets enclosed between the main canals from the Prinsengracht to the Singel, south-west of Dam Square. The northernmost street is Reestraat and to the south is the Runstraat. The streetnames are marked with a sign of the Nine Streets, and some shops have a flyer of this area. You can find a lot of boutiques, specialist shops, galleries and restaurants here.
Places located in Negen Straatjes
The Theatre of Van Campen (Dutch: Schouwburg van Van Campen, Dutch pronunciation: [ˈsxʌuˌbɵrx fɑn vɑn ˈkɑmpə(n)]) was a theatre located at Keizersgracht 384 in Amsterdam. It was the first city theatre, based on the Teatro Olimpico in Italy. The site is now occupied by a "The Dylon" hotel.
The theatre was built in 1637, by Jacob van Campen, who coined the word Schouwburg for it. It replaced the Duytsche Academy of Samuel Coster previously on the site, originally set up to broaden access to science by putting on lectures in the national vernacular rather than Latin (although other activities also took place, such as painting competitions). Coster, together with playwright Bredero, had had this Academy built as a simple wooden building, to the Italian model, in 1617.
Both Coster and Bredero came from the tradition of Rederijkers, and both were members been of the Rederijker "In Liefde Bloeyende". These societies developed in the early 17th century and, through their study of poetic texts, marked the beginnings of modern theatre in the Netherlands.
Amsterdam was in the midst of her Golden Age, and gradually the possibility a permanent theater building began to be debated. Van Campen, known as an architect and the designer of the Royal Palace, designed a simple permanent theatre, again according to the contemporary Italian example from that time, to replace the Academy. This theatre was due to be opened on 26 December 1637 with Gijsbrecht van Aemstel, a play specially written for the occasion by Vondel. Vondel had also written the text in the architrave of the theatre's entrance:
De weereld is een speeltoneel
Elck speelt zijn rol en krijght zijn deel
(The world is a theatre,
Everyone plays his role and gets his part)This entrance still survives from the original building.
The Calvinist kerkeraad (church council) of the municipality, however, attempted to stop the theatre opening, but were only temporarily successful, for the theatre was in the end still opened on 3 January 1638, with Vondel's play.
The theater of Van Campen served until 1664, when it became clear it was too small and ill-keeping with the Baroque architecture of the 1660s. The theatre temporarily closed at the outbreak of the Second Anglo-Dutch War and the new building, Schouwburg van Vingboons - twice as large as the old one and adapted to the requirements of that time - finally opened May 26, 1665. This theatre burned in 1772 after a rope caught fire after a performance.
The First Dutch Academy (Dutch: Eerste Nederduytsche Academie) was an institution set up by Samuel Coster (with the important support of Bredero and Hooft) in Amsterdam. The institution was set up to offer better theatre than the old rederijkerskamers could then manage. Another (perhaps more important) aim was to offer higher education to common people.
The academy was inaugurated on 23 September 1617 with 'Apollo' by Suffridus Sixtinus, and the tragedy "Vande moordt begaen aen Wilhelm van Orangiencode: nld promoted to code: nl " (the murder of William of Orange) by Gijsbert van Hoghendorp. This all occurred in a wooden building. The coat-of-arms of the academy consisted of a beehive under an eglantine with the word "IJver" ("zeal") as a motto.
Calvinistic preachers of that time put pressure on the new institution to close. The theatre did not give in, particularly since its first two professors were Mennonites (Sibrant Hanses Cardinael in Arithmetic and Jan Thonis in Hebrew).
In 1631, Vondel wrote his "Vraghe van d'Amsterdamsche Academi aan alle poëten en dichterscode: nld promoted to code: nl " (Questions of the Amsterdam Academics to all poets), provoking further vehement Calvinist reactions. Finally the 'Oeffenschool', that was meant to go with the academy, was founded. The Athenaeum Illustre was later set up in the city, but here no teaching was presented in the native language.
The main figures of the academy wrote comedy and farce:
Coster: Teeuwis de boer en Tysken vanden Schilde
Bredero: Lucelle, De Koe, Symen, De Meulenaer, Het Moortje, Spaansche Brabander
The Herengracht is the second of four Amsterdam canals belonging to the canal belt and lies between the Singel and the Keizersgracht.
The Gouden Bocht (Golden Bend) in particular is known for its large and beautiful canal houses.
Felix Meritis ("Happy through Merit") is the name of a building on the Keizersgracht in Amsterdam.