district of Kiev, Ukraine
Wikimedia Commons category: Pechersk
English Pecherskyi District
Pecherskyi District (Ukrainian: Печерський район) is an urban district of Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. It line within the eponymous historical neighborhood, while also including some other historical areas. The Pechersk (Ukrainian: Печерськ, Pechers'k) neighborhood is located on the hills adjoining the right bank of the Dnieper River. The two geographic entities are often confused together. The Pecherskyi District can be considered as the very heart of Ukraine.
Source: Pecherskyi District
German Rajon Petschersk
Der Rajon Petschersk (ukrainisch Печерський район Petscherskyj rajon; russisch Печерский район Petscherski rajon) ist ein Verwaltungsbezirk der Stadt Kiew in der Ukraine, der vorwiegend innerhalb des historischen Teils der Stadt auf dem Westufer des Dnepr liegt.
Der Rajon hat 163.544 Einwohner (2020), eine Fläche von etwa 19,6 km² und eine Bevölkerungsdichte von 8.363 Einwohnern je km².
Die Wohngegend Petschersk (Печерськ) liegt in den an das rechte Dneprufer angrenzenden Hügeln. Die beiden geographischen Begriffe werden oft miteinander verwechselt.
Source: Rajon Petschersk
Polish Rejon peczerski
Rejon peczerski - jeden z prawobrzeżnych rejonów Kijowa, znajduje się w centralnej części miasta. Ma powierzchnię około 19,5 km2, i liczy ponad 144 tysięcy mieszkańców.
Jest to najstarsza część miasta. Obejmuje między innymi Askoldową Mogiłę, miejsce pochówku księcia Askolda. Po przyjęciu przez księcia Włodzimierza chrztu właśnie tu powstały pierwsze świątynie chrześcijańskie. Domniemane miejsce przyjęcia chrztu przez mieszkańców Kijowa upamiętnione zostało wysokim pomnikiem księcia Włodzimierza w parku Wołodymyrśka hirka. W 1051 inicjatorzy ruchu monastycznego na Rusi – mnisi Antoni i Teodozjusz założyli tu monaster, który stał się później znany jako Ławra Peczerska, która dała również rejonowi jego nazwę.
W rejonie peczerskim znajduje się w większość centralnych urzędów i instytucji Ukrainy, między innymi Administracja Prezydenta Ukrainy (ul. Bankowa), Rada Najwyższa Ukrainy (ul. Hruszewskiego), Narodowy Bank Ukrainy (ul. Instytucka), szereg ministerstw, Centralna Komisja Wyborcza Ukrainy (ul. Łesi Ukrainki), Sąd Najwyższy Ukrainy (ul. Pyłypa Orłyka). Skoncentrowano tutaj również wiele ambasad i konsulatów.
W rejonie istnieje wiele muzeów, między innymi Muzeum historii Ukrainy w II wojnie światowej.
Source: Rejon peczerski
Russian Печерский район
Пече́рский район (укр. Печерський район) — один из центральных районов Киева.
Source: Печерский район
Ukrainian Печерський район
Печерський район — найменший за територією та населенням район міста Києва, розташований у центральній частині столиці на правому березі Дніпра. На його території, окрім промислових, наукових, навчальних та культурних закладів, розташовані Офіс Президента України, Верховна Рада України, Кабінет Міністрів України, Національний банк України, Прокуратура України, Палац спорту, головні офіси багатьох українських банків та корпорацій.
Source: Печерський район
Spanish Raión de Pechersk
Pechersk (en ucraniano, Печерський район) es un raión o distrito urbano de Ucrania, en la ciudad de Kiev.
Comprende una superficie de 27 km².
Source: Raión de Pechersk
pt Pecherskyi (raion)
Pecherskyi (em ucraniano: Печерський район) é um dos 10 raions da cidade de Kiev.
== Referências ==
Source: Pecherskyi (raion)
佩切爾斯基區（烏克蘭語：Печерський район，转写：Pechers'kyi raion）是烏克蘭的一個區，位於該國中北部，由首都基輔負責管轄，處於第聶伯河右岸，面積19.5平方公里，2013年人口144,785，人口密度每平方公里7,404.06人。格鲁舍夫斯基大街位于此区。
Places located in Pecherskyi District
National Museum of the Holodomor-Genocide (Ukrainian: Національний музей Голодомору-геноциду), formerly known as the Memorial in Commemoration of the Holodomor-Genocide in Ukraine, is Ukraine's national museum and a world-class centre devoted to the victims of the Holodomor of 1932-1933. The museum was opened on the day of the 75th anniversary of the Holodomor in 2008 and gained the status of a national museum in 2010. The museum is located on the Pechersk Hills on the right bank of the Dnieper river in Kyiv, adjacent to the Kyiv Pechersk Lavra.
The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (Ukrainian: Верхо́вна Ра́да Украї́ни, romanized: Verkhovna Rada Ukraïny, lit. 'Supreme Council of Ukraine', Ukrainian abbreviation ВРУ), often simply Verkhovna Rada or just Rada, is the unicameral parliament of Ukraine. The Verkhovna Rada is composed of 450 deputies, who are presided over by a chairman (speaker). The Verkhovna Rada meets in the Verkhovna Rada building in Ukraine's capital Kiev. The deputies elected in the 21 July 2019 Ukrainian parliamentary election were inaugurated on 29 August 2019.The Verkhovna Rada was transformed out of the system of republican representative body known in the Soviet Union as Supreme Soviet (Supreme Council) that was first established 26 June 1938 as a type of legislature of the Ukrainian SSR after the dissolution of the Congress of Soviets of the Ukrainian SSR.
The 12th convocation of the Supreme Soviet of the Ukrainian SSR (elected in 1990) issued the Declaration of Independence of Ukraine, introduced elements of a market economy and political liberalization, and officially changed the numeration of its sessions, proclaiming itself the first convocation of the "Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine". The current parliament is the ninth convocation. Because of the War in Donbass and the unilateral annexation of Crimea by Russia, elections for the constituencies situated in Donbass and Crimea were not held in the 2014 and 2019 elections; hence the current composition of the Verkhovna Rada consists of 424 deputies.In the last elections to the Verkhovna Rada, a mixed voting system is used. 50% of seats are distributed under party lists with a 5% election threshold and 50% through first-past-the-post in single-member constituencies. The method of 50/50 mixed elections was used in the 2002, 2012, 2014 and 2019 elections; however, in 2006 and 2007, the elections were held under a proportional system only. According to the election law that became valid on 1 January 2020 the next election to the Verkhovna Rada (set for 2023) again will be held under a proportional scheme.
Dnipro (Ukrainian: Дніпро) is a station on the Kiev Metro's Sviatoshynsko-Brovarska Line. Named after the Dnieper River, the station consists of a semi-estacade over the embankment highway, and then continues across the river as part of Kiev Metro Bridge. The station was opened along with the first stage of the Metro in 1960 and for the first five years, before the bridge was completed, was the eastern terminus of the line.
Itself, the station is probably one of the most distinctive designs in not only Kiev, but all of the former USSR. The design is attributed to Kiev's unique geography and how engineers and city planners applied the Metro development project to it. The goal was to link Kiev-Pasazhyrskyi railway station via the city centre to the residential districts on the left bank of the river. Since the planned junction between the Brovary avenue and the right bank was to happen at that point, it was decided to turn the metro line first southeast via the Arsenal factory and then make a right angle turn northeast and make the Brovarsky radius go on the surface similar in design to Moscow's Filyovskaya Line. The station was to serve this junction point.
In engineering terms, the design incorporates two distinct portions: a large structure on the western side with estacade track and platforms coming out. Both the engineers (H.Fuks, L.Nobsborsky and V.Ihnatyuk) and the architects (H.Hranatkin, A.Ihnashchenko, P.Krasytsky and S.Krushynsky) put quite an effort into its construction. The western side structure consists of an embankment level vestibule with ticket halls and staircases leading on to the platforms. Although the station has side platforms, it is possible to change direction without leaving the premises of the station.
The estacade level consists of two platforms separated by double track. Originally, when the Brovarsky radius was not completed, the far end of the platform was a large balcony overlooking the river and one of the tracks was covered up by the platform. On the side of the embankment, there are two additional glazed staircase pavilions which are currently closed. On top of them are two statues of Young Pioneers by the sculptors F.Katsyubynsky, E.Kuntsevych, I.Horovy, B.Karlovsky. The statues were erected in 1965 as part of the construction of Metro Bridge. The northern statue is of a girl releasing pigeons whilst the southern one is of a boy releasing a model of the Sputnik satellite. This has since often symbolised the station as a gateway to the future of the Soviet Union: peace and technological achievement.
Also interesting is that under the station pass the lines of the Kiev tram, originally there was depot there, but in 1960, when the Metro was opened, it lacked a full depot for serious repairs and the tram depot was converted into a Metro one. Tram tracks were used for rail cars and these were pushed onto a rotor which spun them 90 degrees before hydraulically lifting them up onto the estacade. Although this unique operation was time consuming, it was nevertheless rarely used as a service bay behind Arsenalna was suitable in most cases. In 1965 after the extension to the left bank, the Darnytsia depot was opened, and both the provisional depot and the rotor/lift were dismantled. (See pre-1965 layout of the station and video of its operation.)
Today the station, although having a short passenger traffic, remains the most popular in Kiev Metro. Most of the people who actually come off there are visitors to the city that are amazed at the construction of this remarkable 40-year-old design. Over the years, its exposure to the elements have necessitated in some repair work and renovation which is periodically carried out. The station also remains symbolic in other ways, as it was on the hill of the right bank, where the current portal tunnels are that in 1949 the first tunnel boring shield was launched.
The Olympic National Sports Complex (also known as Olympic Stadium; Ukrainian: Національний спортивний комплекс "Олімпійський") is a multi-use sports and recreation facility in Kiev, Ukraine, located on the slopes of the city's central Cherepanova Hora (Cherepanov Hill), Pecherskyi District. The Olympic National Sports Complex Stadium, the home of FC Dynamo Kyiv, is the premier sports venue in Ukraine and the sixteenth largest in Europe. The complex beside its stadium also features several other sports facilities and is designed to host the Olympic Games (the stadium hosted some football matches at the 1980 Summer Olympics).
Following extensive renovation works, including the construction of a new roof, the stadium was reopened on 9 October 2011 with a performance by Shakira and had its international inauguration with a 3–3 friendly draw by Ukraine against Germany on 11 November 2011. It hosted the final of the UEFA Euro 2012 and the 2018 UEFA Champions League Final.
Ivan Honchar Museum (National Centre of Folk Culture) is a museum in Kiev, Ukraine showcasing the culture of Ukraine and preserving Ukrainian folk art.
The museum was founded on a private collection of Ivan Makarovych Honchar shortly after his death in 1993. During the Soviet period, Ivan was accused of nationalism. Each individual showing an interest in his private collection was registered with the KGB.
The collection consists of over 15,000 items from the 16th to the early 20th centuries. A good example is a painting of the Ukrainian folklore hero Cossack Mamay. Other items include over 500 icons from the 16th century, 100 paintings by famous Ukrainian artists, an impressive collection of over 2,500 items of textiles from the 18th and 19th centuries, pottery, toys, Easter eggs, wood carvings and Ukrainian folk music instruments. Another part of the museum consists of Honchar's private library with books containing material that had the possessor sent to prison during Soviet times.
The Museum is a living institution, not only a collection of exhibits. There are folk art studios, shops, a theatre of folk songs and folklore, Ukrainian cuisine hands-on classes and other courses.
The musician Oleh Skrypka, (frontman of Vopli Vidopliassova) each year organizes vechornytsi (gatherings) at the centre, which include folklore singing, dances, customs etc.
Kiev Pechersk Lavra, Kyiv Pechersk Lavra or Kyivo-Pechers’ka Lavra (Ukrainian: Києво-Печерська лавра: Kyievo-Pechers'ka lavra; Russian: Киeво-Печерская лавра: Kyievo-Pecherska lavra), also known as the Kiev Monastery of the Caves, is a historic Orthodox Christian monastery which gave its name to one of the city districts where it is located in Kiev.
Since its foundation as the cave monastery in 1051 the Lavra has been a preeminent center of Eastern Orthodox Christianity in Eastern Europe. Together with the Saint Sophia Cathedral, it is inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The monastery complex is considered a separate national historic-cultural preserve (sanctuary), the national status to which was granted on 13 March 1996. The Lavra is not only located in another part of the city, but is part of a different national sanctuary than Saint Sophia Cathedral. While being a cultural attraction, the monastery is once again active, with over 100 monks in residence. It was named one of the Seven Wonders of Ukraine on 21 August 2007, based on voting by experts and the internet community.Currently, the jurisdiction over the site is divided between the state museum, National Kyiv-Pechersk Historic-Cultural Preserve, and the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate) as the site of the chief monastery of that Church and the residence of its leader, Metropolitan Onuphrius.
Khreshchatyk (Ukrainian: Хрещатик, [xreˈʃt͡ʃɑtɪk]) is the main street of Kyiv, Ukraine. The street has a length of 1.2 km (0.81 mi). It stretches from the European Square (northeast) through the Maidan and to Bessarabska Square (southwest) where the Besarabsky Market is located. Along the street are the offices of the Kiev City Council which contains both the city's council and the state administration, the Main Post Office, the Ministry of Agrarian Policy, the State Committee of Television and Radio Broadcasting, the Central Department Store (TsUM), the Ukrainian House, and others.
The entire street was completely destroyed during World War II by the retreating Red Army troops and rebuilt in the neo-classical style of post-war Stalinist architecture. Among prominent buildings that did not survive were the Kiev City Duma, the Kiev Stock Exchange, Hotel Natsional, and the Ginzburg House. The street has been significantly renovated during the modern period of Ukraine's independence. Today, the street is still significant to administrative and business city organizations, as well as a popular tourist attraction.
As of 2010, Khreshchatyk is included in the Top 20 of most expensive shopping streets in Europe.
The Great Lavra Bell Tower or the Great Belfry (Ukrainian: Велика Лаврська дзвіниця, Russian: Большая Лаврская колокольня) is the main bell tower of the ancient cave monastery of Kiev Pechersk Lavra in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. It is one of the most notable buildings of the Kiev skyline (see picture).
The bell tower was the highest free-standing bell tower at the time of its construction in 1731–1745. It was designed by the architect Johann Gottfried Schädel. Its total height, with the Christian cross, is 96.5 metres (316 feet).
The Great Lavra Bell Tower is a Classical style construction with a total of four tiers, surmounted by a gilded dome. The diameter of the tower's lowest tier at its base is 28.8 metres (94 feet), and the thickness of the first tier walls is 8 metres (26 feet). The tower's foundation exceeds 7 metres (22 feet). The tower is decorated with many architectural columns: the second tier is decorated with 32 Dorian columns, the third tier is decorated with 16 Ionic columns, and the fourth with 8 Corinthian columns.On the third tier, there were some hanging bells, but they were later removed. To this day, only three small 18th-century bells have been preserved: the Balyk, Voznesenskyi, and Bezymiannyi bells. The former main bell of the Great Lavra Bell Tower, the Uspenskyi, had a total weight of one ton and was cast in 1732 by Ivan Motorin, who was also responsible for the Moscow Kremlin Tsar Bell. There is also a viewing platform atop the third tier, which provides visitors with a bird's-eye view of the region around Kiev.
On the fourth tier there is a chiming clock, manufactured in 1903, which has a total weight of 4.5 tons. The current bell tower's clock, designed by the Moscow master A. Enodin and based on the Kremlin clock, replaced the older 18th-century clock of the master A. Levynskyi. The clock has stopped only once during its existence: it happened in September 1941 when the Dormition Cathedral of the Pechersk Lavra was blown up by army forces during the Second World War.
The clock was repaired following the destruction of the nearby cathedral, which took a total of six years to complete. Since that time, the clock has never needed any repairs. The clock's mechanism is very accurate; up to within 10 seconds. However, it has been observed that its accuracy depends on the time of the year: in the Winter, the clock works somewhat slower than in the Summertime. The clock's mechanism has to be rewound once a week, and the clock's bells chime every quarter of the hour.
The National Folk Decorative Art Museum (Ukrainian: Національний Музей українського народного декоративного мистецтва) is a museum dedicated to Ukrainian Folk decorative art in Kiev, Ukraine.
The National Folk Decorative Art Museum is one of the largest art museums in Ukraine. It is located on the grounds of the Kiev Pechersk Lavra and is housed in the former Metropolitan's residence and the adjacent Annunciation
The museum collection was established in 1899 as part of the collection of the newly founded City Antiquity and Art Museum, which was renamed in 1904 the "Kyiv Art, Industry and Science Museum".
Now the reserves and displays of the museum contain over 75,000 artifacts of Ukrainian traditional folk and professional decorative art dating from 15th century to present days. Many of them are household and domestic articles varied in material, shape, decoration, and purpose which talented craftsmen had turned into highly artistic items inhering the wealth of regional specificities. Art works created by professional artisans demonstrate implementation of established folk traditions in their creative concepts.
The museum permanent exhibition which totals some 1,500 sq. m. represents all types of Ukrainian folk art: carpet weaving, weaving, print, embroidery, ceramics, wood carving and painting, artistic leather work, horn and metal work, glassware, porcelain, Easter egg painting ("pysankarstvo"), folk painting and iconography.
The pride of the Museum is its extensive collection of Ukrainian folk costumes of the 19th — first half of the 20th century representing all regions of Ukraine, in which are synthesized folk arts of style, sewing, weaving, embroidery, applique, print, wicker-work, artistic leather work and metalwork. Also deserving mention are the collection of traditional trappings: “duckachs” (necklaces with coins as lockets), coral and Venetian glass beads, beadwork.
Especially valuable objects, both from the historical and artistic viewpoints, are wooden carved silver-mounted cross of 1576, clay glazed tiles of 15th — 18th centuries, Cossack tobacco-pipes and powder flasks of 18th — 19th centuries, silk woven sashes of 18th century, embroidered in gold and silver, 18th-century vestments , "guta" (a traditional glass workshop in the 16th — 19th centuries) glassware of 16th — 18th centuries, production of leading Ukrainian porcelain and faience enterprises of 18th — 19th centuries: Kyevo-Mezhighirskaya faience factory and Volokitinsky porcelain works.
The Museum possesses Ukraine's largest collection of works by Maria Prymachenko (1909–1997), which includes more than 500 paintings.
A special showroom accommodates the canvases by Kateryna Bilokur (1900–1961). They are deservedly considered the masterpieces of the Museum's collection and belong to riches of world art.
Numerous temporary exhibitions feature works by contemporary artisans as well as the exhibits stored in the Museum's repositories.
Petro Tchaikovsky National Music Academy of Ukraine (Ukrainian: Національна музична академія України імені Петра Чайковського) or Kyiv Conservatory is a Ukrainian state institution of higher music education. Its courses include postgraduate education.
The Roman Catholic Church of St. Nicholas (Ukrainian: Костел Св. Миколая; translit.: Kostel Sviatoho Mykolaia) is the second oldest Roman Catholic church standing in Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine after the St. Alexander Roman Catholic Cathedral. Today the building is shared between the Roman Catholic Church of Ukraine and the National House of Organ and Chamber Music.
It was constructed from 1899–1909 and was built by the Latin Rite Catholic community in a Gothic type construction, by Kyiv architects Vladyslav Horodetskyi and Emilio Sala. It stands at vulytsia Velyka Vasylkivska (Greater Vasylkiv street) in Pechersk Raion next to the Kyiv National Linguistic University between the National Sports Complex Olimpiysky and the Railroad station Kyiv-Tovarny.
House with Chimaeras or Horodecki House (Ukrainian: Будинок з химерами, Budynok z khymeramy) is an Art Nouveau building located in the historic Lypky neighborhood of Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. Situated across the street from the President of Ukraine's office at No. 10, Bankova Street, the building has been used as a presidential residence for official and diplomatic ceremonies since 2005. The street in front of the building is closed off to all automobile traffic, and is now a patrolled pedestrian zone due to its near proximity to the Presidential Administration building.
The Polish architect Władysław Horodecki originally constructed the House with Chimaeras for use as his own upmarket apartment building during the period of 1901–1902. However, as the years went by, Horodecki eventually had to sell the building due to financial troubles, after which it changed ownership numerous times before finally being occupied by an official Communist Party polyclinic until the early 2000s. When the building was vacated, its interior and exterior decor were fully reconstructed and restored according to Horodecki's original plans.The building derives its popular name from the ornate decorations depicting exotic animals and hunting scenes, which were sculpted by Italian architect Emilio Sala, since Horodecki was an avid hunter. The name does not refer to the chimaera of mythology, but to an architectural style known as chimaera decoration in which animal figures are applied as decorative elements to a building. Horodecki's unique architectural style earned him praise as the Antoni Gaudí of Kiev.
The Parus Business Centre (Ukrainian: Бізнес Центр «Парус») is a 34-story class-A office building in Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine. It is located at the very centre of the city, between Mechnikova St. and Lesi Ukrainky Blvd. (municipal address: 2, Mechnikova St.).
At its opening in 2007 the Parus Business Centre was the highest building it the country, as of 2018 it remains the third highest.
Construction of the building began in 2004, and ended in February 2007. Apart from its main office use 50,400 m2 (543,000 sq ft), the property features some 2,400 m2 (26,000 sq ft) of retail space and around 2,700 m2 (29,000 sq ft) of cafes and restaurants and a 4-story underground parking garage with a capacity for 300 cars.While still on the construction stage, the project was also known as "Elsburg Plaza" (Ukrainian: «Ельсбург Плаза»), but was later renamed to "Parus" (literally translated as "sail") ostensibly because of building's oval-like shape, resembling sail of a ship.In July 2008, Kontrakty, Ukrainian business weekly, rated top 10 most expensive offices in Kyiv. Parus was top of the chart in terms of annual rental income, which stood at some $50 million.Major tenants at Parus include McKinsey & Company, Concorde Capital, an investment bank; TNK-BP, an oil company; Olimp, Ukrainian spirits company; Delin Development, a real estate development company; Interpipe, steel pipes producer and others. Colliers International, a commercial real estate services company, was an exclusive leasing agent for Parus.
Parus was developed and is owned by "Mandaryn Plaza Ltd." (Ukrainian: ЗАТ «Мандарин Плаза»), a joint-stock company, prominent for its homonymous high-end shopping center in the center of Kyiv. From 2007 to 2016 the building was owned by Ukrainian businessman, Dmytro Firtash.
The M. M. Gryshko National Botanical Garden (Ukrainian: Національний ботанічний сад імені М.М. Гришка, Natsionalnyi botanichnyi sad im. M.M.Hryshka; Russian: Национальный ботанический сад им. Н.Н. Гришко, Natsionalnyi botanicheskiy sad im. N.N.Grishko) is located in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine.
The M. M. Gryshko National Botanical Garden is a botanical garden of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. It is named after the Soviet botanist Mykola Gryshko who was born in Poltava. Founded in 1936, the garden covers 1.3 km² (120 hectares) and contains 13,000 types of trees, shrubs, flowers and other plants from all over the world. It has many coniferous trees and honey locusts, and flowers such as peonies, roses, magnolias, and bushes including lilacs. The garden has hothouses, conservatories, greenhouses and rosaries. It is the most popular amongst the residents, where one can see exotic plants, and attend flower exhibitions. The blooming lilacs at the end of spring are popular in the central garden.
The Vydubychi Monastery and Trinity Monastery of St. Jonas are located on the grounds of the botanical gardens.
The territory of the garden is divided into floristic complexes, such as Ukrainian Carpathians, Plains of Ukraine, Crimea, Caucasus, Central Asia, Altai and Western Siberia, Far East. In every zone plants typical for particular region can be found. Geography and landscape of each territory were recreated as well. Also the garden has large collection of unique and rare tropical and subtropical plants that are represented in the greenhouse. The Botanical garden can impress with more than 350 species of orchids.
Khreshchatyk (Ukrainian: Хрещатик) is a station on the Sviatoshynsko-Brovarska Line of the Kiev Metro. The station is named for the Khreshchatyk street, the most central street in Kiev. The station was opened in 1960 along with the first stage of the Metro. It The station is pylon trivault (architects Yu.Tyahno and I.Maslenkov) that features ceramic Ukrainian ornaments framed by metallic grills on the central hall sides of the pylons. White marble is used elsewhere, particularly for the walls and the main pylon frames. The ceiling is covered in white plaster and lighting comes from hidden lamps in the niches of the central vault and a central row of lamps.
In 1976 the station became the first transfer point in the system to the newly opened Obolonsko–Teremkivska Line's (then named Kurenivsko-Chervonoarmiyska Line) Maidan Nezalezhnosti then called Ploshcha Kalinina but soon renamed to Ploshcha Zhovtnevoi Revolyutsii. The stations are connected side to side with staircases and an escalator. The original corridor, however, proved to be too short and unable to cope with rising passenger traffics and in 1986 a second, longer corridor connected the opposite sides of the stations allowing traffic to be diverted. In the future the longer corridor is planned to be fitted with travelator, speeding up the passenger flow in the longer corridor.
The station has two vestibules, the first one is built into a restaurant building (now occupied by a shop) on the Khreshchatyk street itself. The second one was opened in 1963 (replacing a large coat of arms of the Ukrainian SSR) and is located on the corner of Instituska and Horodetska streets.
Behind the station is a set of reversal sidings that continue as a single track service branch into the Obolonsko–Teremkivska Line and the Syretsko-Pecherska Line. This is the main artery that is used for interline transit between depots and lines. As well as for nighttime stands.
Palats Sportu (Ukrainian: Палац Спорту) is a station on the Syretsko-Pecherska Line of the Kiev Metro. Opened on December 31, 1989 as part of the first stage of the line, it formed third and (so far) last transfer point of the system.
The station is named after Kiev's central Sports Palace, and as a result, its architectural layout (work of architects A.Krushinsky and N.Aleshkin) follows carefully on the theme. Unlike other pylon-trivault stations, Palats Sportu features a non-circular shape of the central hall's ceiling. Made of white plastic panels, this contrasts with the darker color gamma of the rest of the station, and also blends carefully with the lighting elements that are suspended from the apex, just like in a large sport complex.
As mentioned earlier, the remaining of the station is made of darker tones, that include dark brown metal planes for the pylon sides facing the halls and green marble for the internal pylon walls. The platform halls' color gamma is opposite to the central one, which consists of dark plastic planes that cover the ceiling, with one line of fluorescent lighting element running the length of the hall. Also unlike the central hall, the white marbled walls, instead of being horizontal, are curved, and continue the vault all the way to the track level. The floor is covered with neutral brown marble.
Other unique features of the station include the sound isolation of one hall to another, making it impossible to hear an incoming train even from the central hall, this was done specifically as the station formed Kiev's third transfer point with Ploscha Lva Tolstoho of the Obolonsko–Teremkivska Line, in an attempt not to disorientate the passengers.
The station's vestibule is located on the Sportyvna square, next to the complex itself. During mass celebrations and major sporting events (e.g. the 2005 edition of the Eurovision Song Contest and an international ice hockey tournament in 2017, which took place inside the palace), the station's exits and entrances to the surface are closed, and it functions solely as a transfer point to avoid large crowds.
The Palace of Sports (Ukrainian: Палац Спорту, Palats Sportu) is an indoor sport-concert complex situated in the center of Kiev, Ukraine. The complex is an independent state enterprise.
Mystetskyi Arsenal National Art and Culture Museum Complex, also known as Mystetskyi Arsenal (Ukrainian: Мистецький арсенал, translated as the «Art Arsenal») — is Ukraine's flagship public cultural institution, museum and an art exhibition complex located at Lavrska Street, 10–12, in Kiev, Ukraine. Total exhibition area of its historic venue is 60,000 m2, one of the largest in Europe. The institution's stated mission is to modernize Ukrainian society through raising awareness on social issues, fostering communication with the international community, introducing outstanding local and international artists to the world. The complex was visited by 173,550 visitors in 2018. It hosted 6 exhibitions, 2 festivals, 299 guided tours, 52 educational projects and 13 large scale theatrical productions the same year. The venue also hosts Ukraine's biggest annual book fair, attended by 50,000 visitors. The complex is legally under the control of the State Management of Affairs.
Pecherska (Ukrainian: Печерська) — is a station on Kiev Metro's Syretsko-Pecherska Line. Originally planned to open along with the main section of the line which in late 1991, problems with the escalator tunnel meant that work was delayed, and the station finally opened only six years later on December 27, 1997.
Designed by architects V.Gnevyshev, M.Alyoshkin and T.Tselokovskaya, Pecherska is a composition that was finalised still under Soviet influence, but slightly re-modeled prior to its opening in mid-1990s. The traditional pylon trivault retains the common white marbled pylons, but adds newly introduced features such as a suspended ceiling that conceals the lighting instruments. Both the suspended vault and the open regions (a pattern which repeats the steps of the pylons) are faced with white and brown aluminium boards respectively. On the platform halls, the brown boards extend right up to the upper socle regions which are replaced with white ones that continue the curvature right up to the socle region above the tracks (in place of a traditional marble wall). Lighting is provided by Sodium lamps hidden in the ends of the ceiling and by an additional long cross shaped elements that run the length of the vault in the central hall. Whilst the floor retains the grey granite.
Pecherska is named after the Pechersk district in Kiev, located south of the city centre on the right bank of the Dnieper river. Its name is also influenced in the artwork at the end of the central hall. Its only underground vestibule is located on the corner of the Mikhail Kutuzov street and Lesya Ukrainka boulevard. Its daily passenger traffic is 24.3 thousand people
St. Nicholas Military Cathedral (Ukrainian: Військовий Микільський собор), popularly known as The Great Nicholas (Ukrainian: Великий Микола) was one of the military cathedrals of the former Russian Empire. It was sited in the Kiev Fortress overlooking the Dnieper River.
As a cathedral it was adopted after establishing the Russian Kiev Fortress in the 19th century. This pentacupolar Ukrainian Baroque building was originally designed by Osip Startsev at the bidding of Hetman Ivan Mazepa to serve as the main church of St. Nicholas's Hermitage traditionally associated with Askold's Grave. The church was consecrated in 1696. It was famed for its dazzling gilded icon screen commissioned by Mazepa. A free-standing Rastrelliesque bell tower was completed in the mid-18th century.
The Russian Imperial Army became the church's patron in 1831. A set of cannons near the building proclaimed its military associations. In 1934, the Soviets blew up the cathedral, replacing it with a Pioneers Palace.Struggle for a reconstruction of a temple is growing. The president of Ukraine Viktor Yushchenko supported idea of restoration of a temple.Now Divine services are carried out at open-air near to a place where there was a temple earlier. A website of parishioners - https://web.archive.org/web/20130925162354/http://mykilsky.org.ua/
The Kiev Water Museum (official name the Water-Information Centre) is an educational centre that occupies one of the buildings from the early centralised water-supply system in the city which was built at the middle of the 19th century. It is located in Khreshchaty Park. The Water-Information Centre gives information about water resources and their rational consumption. The exhibition demonstrates the history of Kiev's water supply system, water treatment and waste water treatment in contemporary Kiev while also showing water's role in people's activities using interesting and interactive examples.
The Water-Information Centre is one of the most attended cultural institutions in Kiev. In April 2014, the 1.5 millionth visitor got a ceremonial welcome.
The Klov Palace (Ukrainian: Кловський палац) is the seat of the Supreme Court of Ukraine in Kiev. The building takes its name from Klov, a neighbourhood of Pechersk District where it is situated.
The Baroque residence was constructed between 1752 and 1756 with funds provided by Kiev Pechersk Lavra. The Russian royal family were expected to stay at the palace during their visits to the monastery, as they did in a wooden palace that had preceded it. The architects are thought to have been Gottfried Johann Schädel and Pyotr Neyelov. The actual construction was supervised by Stepan Kovnir. The main hall has the plafond frescoed in 1760. A formal garden was laid out around the palace.The palace was never visited by any royalty, however, and it was not long before it fell into disrepair. Catherine II of Russia, who was passing through Kiev in 1787, preferred Mariyinsky Palace for her residence. It was destroyed by a fire in 1858 and was rebuilt soon after with the addition of an upper story and the side wings. The palace burnt down in the aftermath of the Russian Revolution. A restoration process was undertaken in the 1970s.
PinchukArtCentre is a centre of contemporary art, located in Kyiv with a collection of works by Ukrainian and international artists. The museum was opened on 16 September 2006 by the steel billionaire Victor Pinchuk.The mission of the PinchukArtCentre mission is to exhibit new artistic production and collecting national and international contemporary art. It is a venue for seminal working artists who represent the complexity of our time, addressing important issues and complexities.The centre's objectives consist of an international collection, exhibitions, education programmes, publications and research.
The PinchukArtCentre is the largest private museum in Eastern Europe. In 2007 and 2009, the PinchukArtCentre officially represented Ukraine at the Venice Biennale. Admission to the museum is free.
The Motherland Monument (Ukrainian: Батьківщина-Мати, Russian: Родина-мать) is a monumental statue in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. The sculpture is a part of the National Museum of the History of Ukraine in the Second World War.
Hotel Ukraine (Ukrainian: Готель Україна), also referred to as Hotel Ukrayina, is a four-star hotel located in central Kiev, the capital of Ukraine.
The hotel was built in 1961 as the Hotel "Moscow" in a location which originally was occupied by Kiev's first skyscraper, the Ginzburg House.
The construction of the hotel finished the architectural ensemble of Kiev's main street - the Khreshchatyk - which formed the post-war reconstruction of central Kiev.
The hotel is state-owned and belongs to the State Management of Affairs.
The October Palace (Ukrainian: Жовтневий палац, romanized: Zhovtnevy palats) is a performing arts center in Kiev, Ukraine. It is officially known as the International Center of Culture and Arts (Ukrainian: Міжнародний центр культури і мистецтв, romanized: Mizhnarodny tsentr kul'tury i mystetstv) of the Trade Union Federation of Ukraine, while October Palace is used for its brevity.
The National Museum of the History of Ukraine in the Second World War (Ukrainian: Музей історії України у Другій світовій війні) is a memorial complex commemorating the German-Soviet War located in the southern outskirts of the Pechersk district of Kiev, the capital of Ukraine, on the picturesque hills on the right-bank of the Dnieper River.The museum was moved twice before ending up in the current location where it was ceremonially opened on May 9 (the Victory Day), 1981, by the Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev. On June 21, 1996, the museum was accorded its current status of the National Museum by the special decree signed by Leonid Kuchma, then the President of Ukraine.
It is one of the largest museums in Ukraine (over 300 thousand exhibits) centered on the now famous 62-meter tall Motherland statue, which has become one of the best recognized landmarks of Kiev. The museum has been attended by over 21 million visitors.
The National Philharmonic of Ukraine (Ukrainian: Національна Філармонія України), often referred to as Kiev Philharmonic and National Philharmonic, is a complex of two adjacent concert halls in the Khrestchaty Park in Kiev, Ukraine. Formerly the Merchant's House, the building's use for musical performances is associated with the Philharmonic Society, established by Mykola Lysenko.
The historic building was built at the end of the 19th century. Standing at the end of Khreschatyk street near the European Square, it has hosted numerous Russian composers such as Sergei Rachmaninoff, Alexander Scriabin, and Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky and famous opera singers like Leonid Sobinov and Feodor Chaliapin.
The Kiev Fortress (Kyiv Fortress, Ukrainian: Київська фортеця; Kyivs'ka fortetsia; Russian: Киевская крепость; Kievskaya krepost') is a complex of Russian fortifications in Kyiv, Ukraine built from the 17th through 19th centuries. Construction began after the 1654 Council in Pereyaslav, on the site of the already existing fortified monastery of Kyiv Pechersk Lavra.
The Kyiv Fortress once belonged to the extensive system of western Russian fortresses that existed in the Russian Empire. The Kyiv Fortress complex features many separate fortifications in Pechersk, Old Kyiv, Podil, and Zvirynets located in various city districts of Kyiv. Currently most of the remaining structures have received a historic designation. The main fortification associated with the Kyiv Fortress (where located the Historic and Architectural Museum) is the Hospital fortification.
Vydubychi Monastery (Ukrainian: Видубицький монастир Vydubyts'kyi monastyr) is an historic monastery in the Ukrainian capital Kiev. During the Soviet period it housed the NANU Institute of Archaeology.
The Multifunctional Complex Gulliver (Ukrainian: Багатофункціональний комплекс «Gulliver») is a 35-story mixed-use building in Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine.
It is located at the very center of the city near Palats Sportu metro station (municipal address: 1, Sportyvna Sq). It is the second highest building and the highest office building in the country.The complex consists of a 35-story office building and an adjoining 10- to 16-story shopping mall with movie theaters, restaurants and other business and entertainment spots.
Originally the building was to be called "Continental", but in 2011 it was named of Gulliver after the eponymous hero of Jonathan Swift's novel Gulliver's Travels.
Ivan Franko National Academic Drama Theater is a Ukrainian theater in Kiev.
The Near Caves or the Caves of Saint Anthony(Ukrainian: Ближні печери, Blyzhni pechery; Russian: Ближние пещеры, Blizhnie peschery) are historic caves and a network of tunnels of the medieval cave monastery of Kyiv Pechersk Lavra in Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine. The Near Caves have a total length of 383 metres and are 5 to 20 metres deep (see map).The Near Caves were founded when in 1057, Saint Varlaam was appointed as the first hegumen (abbot) of the Kyiv Pechersk Lavra by Saint Anthony. Monk Anthony withdrew himself from the monastery and later settled on a new hill, where he dug out a new underground cell, now called the Near Caves.
Mariyinsky Park (Ukrainian: Маріїнський парк, Mariyins'kyi park) is a park located in Pechersk neighborhood in front of the Supreme Council of Ukraine (Constitution Square), Hrushevsky Street, and Park Road. The park is also a Soviet necropolis. The park is recognized as part of the Nature Preservation Fund of Ukraine, yet its official listing is not known.
The Brodsky Choral Synagogue is the second largest synagogue in Kiev, Ukraine. It was built in the Romanesque Revival style resembling a classical basilica. The original tripartite facade with a large central avant-corps flanked by lower wings also echoed the characteristic design of some Moorish Revival synagogues, such as the Leopoldstädter Tempel in Vienna.
The Kiev Academic Puppet Theatre (Ukrainian: Київський державний академічний театр ляльок) is a theatre in Kiev in Ukraine. It was founded on October 27, 1927.
The Church of the Saviour at Berestovo (Ukrainian: Церква Спаса на Берестові, Tserkva Spasa na Berestovi; Russian: Це́рковь Спа́са на Бе́рестове, Tserkov’ Spasa na Berestove) is a church located immediately north of the Monastery of the Caves in an area known as Berestove. Although it is situated outside the Lavra fortifications, the Saviour Church is part of the Lavra complex and the related World Heritage Site.
Olimpiiska (Ukrainian: Олімпійська) is a station on the Kiev Metro's Obolonsko–Teremkivska Line. It was opened on December 19, 1981, and was originally named after Kiev's Republican Stadium as Respublikansky Stadion (Ukrainian: Республіканський Стадіон; Russian: Республиканский стадион). It was designed by A.S. Krushynskyi, T.A. Tselikovska, A.S. Andriienko, and Y.M. Sharanevych.
The station is built deep underground and consists of a central hall with arcades leading toward the station platforms. The walls have been covered with grey marble and the lighting comes from chandeliers. On a wall at the end of the central hall, are the Olympic rings, commemorating the 1980 Summer Olympics. The station is accessible by passenger tunnels on the Velyka Vasylkivska and another street.
The Toilet History Museum is a private museum in Kyiv, Ukraine that contains the largest collection of toilet-related souvenirs and items in the world, including historic chamber pots, squatting pans, and urinals. The museum was founded in 2006 by a Ukrainian couple who worked in the plumbing business and is currently housed in a building within the Kiev Fortress. In 2016, the Guinness Book of Records recognized it as the "The largest collection of souvenir toilet bowls in the world".
City Park is a park in Kiev located between Khreshchaty Park and Mariinsky Park. Along with Volodymyr Hill, Khreshchaty Park, Mariinsky Park, Askold's Grave, and Park of the Eternal Glory, it creates one big elongated park zone along the right bank of Dnieper. The park has an area of 11.7 ha (29 acres). The main feature of the park is a sports venue, Lobanovsky Dynamo Stadium.
The City Park is shaped by Peter's Alley, Park Road, Hrushevsky Street and buildings at Constitution Square (Mariyinsky Palace and Verkhovna Rada building).
The Park of Eternal Glory (Ukrainian: Парк Вічної Слави, romanized: Park Vichnoyi Slavy) is a park in Kiev, Ukraine. It is located between Lavrska Street and the Dnieper Descent, and is surrounded by the Old Kiev-Pecherska fortress, and the Glory Square.
The Gate Church of the Trinity (Ukrainian: Троїцька Надбрамна церква, romanized: Troits’ka Nadbramna tserkva; Russian: Троицкая Надвратная церковь, romanized: Troitskaya Nadvratnaya tserkov’) is a historic church of the ancient cave monastery of Kiev Pechersk Lavra in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. Originally being built as a Kievan Rus' style church, the Gate Church of the Trinity is now decorated in the Ukrainian Baroque style, having been reconstructed many times through its history.
Arsenalna (Ukrainian: Арсена́льна, romanized: Arsenál’na, IPA: [ɐrseˈnɑlʲnɐ]) is a station on Kyiv Metro’s Sviatoshynsko-Brovarska Line. The station was opened along with the first stage and is currently the deepest station in the world (105.5 metres (346 ft)). This is attributed to Kyiv’s geography where the high bank of the Dnieper River rises above the rest of the city. Also unusual is the station’s design, which lacks a central concourse and is thus similar in layout to stations on the London Underground.
The Church of St. Nicholas is a Neoclassical style rotunda in the Askold's Grave park of Kiev, Ukraine.
This former Russian Orthodox church was designed in 1809 by the Moscow-born architect Andrey Melensky and was underwritten by Samuil Meshcheryakov, a merchant from Voronezh.
The general contractor for the project was Vasiliy Serikov. The construction cost 8,000 rubles and the church was consecrated on 1 September 1810.
The Museum of Money of the National Bank of Ukraine was officially launched on 24 March 2004 as the Museum of the Ukrainian Branch Office of the State Bank of the USSR. The Museum’s collection (numismatic or notaphilic items) reflects the history of money circulation in Ukraine from the ancient times to nowadays. The museum is housed at the National Bank of Ukraine in Kiev.
Location: 9 Instytutska Street (Entrance 5).
The House of the Weeping Widow (Ukrainian: Будинок плакучої вдови) is an architectural landmark in the city of Kiev, capital of Ukraine, located at 23 Lyuteranska Street.
Druzhby Narodiv or Friendship of Peoples (Ukrainian: Дружби Народів, named after the road above the station) is a station of Kiev Metro's Syretsko-Pecherska Line. It is situated between Pecherska and Vydubychi stations. This station was opened on December 30, 1991.
Druzhby Narodiv station was designed by architects Alyoshkin and Krushynskiy. It is a deep level station. The station is connected by escalators with a passenger tunnel situated under Druzhby Narodiv boulevard.
Druzhby Narodiv station operates from 05:43 to 00:12.
The Afghanistan 1979–1989 War Memorial is a monument in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine, commemorating soldiers who died fighting during the War in Afghanistan, after Soviet forces invaded that country in 1979. The memorial is located halfway between the Pechersk Lavra and the Museum of The History of Ukraine in World War II.
The Peoples' Friendship Arch (Ukrainian: Арка дружби народів, romanized: Arka druzhby narodiv) is a monument in Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine. It was opened together with the All-Union Lenin Museum (today, Ukrainian House) on November 7, 1982 to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the USSR and the celebration of the 1,500th Anniversary of the Kyiv city.
On 20 May 2016 the Ukrainian government announced plans to dismantle the arch as part of its decommunization laws. In its place is planned a memorial dedicated to veterans of the War in Donbass. Director of the Ukrainian Institute of National Remembrance Volodymyr Viatrovych stated in February 2018 that "a sculptural group" of the monument should be removed according to the decommunization laws.For the Eurovision Song Contest 2017, the arch was temporarily painted as a rainbow and renamed the Arch of Diversity. It doubled as the symbol of the Kyiv Pride parade, and was illuminated as a rainbow at night.
The President Hotel is a hotel in the center of Pechersk, Kiev, Ukraine. It was initially built as part of the All-Union hotel chain Intourist. Today, the hotel belongs to hotel chain Vertex Hotel Group.
Saint Volodymyr Descent (Ukrainian: Володимирський узвіз, Volodymyrsky uzviz) is a street in Kiev located between the Pechersk and Podil city districts. It stretches from European Square to Postal Square.
The city street splits two city parks (Khreshchaty Park and Saint Volodymyr Hill) located on the slopes of Saint Michael Hill (see Kiev Mountains).
The street started to form in 1711 in place of the so-called Old Pechersk Road that used to connect Pechersk with Podil. As a city street it was known originally as Khreshchaty Drive (Ukrainian: Хрещатицький приїзд, Khreshchatytsky pryizd) and later as Paved Street (Ukrainian: Мостова вулиця, Mostova vulytsia) becoming the first city's street paved with cobblestone. Sometime in 1810s it became part of a long Aleksandr Street (after Alexander II of Russia) that stretched all the way from Arsenal Square to Contracts Square, while the descent was unofficially referred to as Aleksandr Descent. After the occupation of Kiev by the Soviet troops in March of 1919 the long street was renamed as Revolution Street (October Revolution). When Kiev became the capital of the Soviet Ukraine in 1934, the street was renamed once again, now as Sergei Kirov Street after the Russian government official Sergei Kirov. During the Nazi occupation the street along with the modern Hrushevsky Street carried the name of the Nazi political figure Fritz Todt.
During the World War II when Kiev was freed from Nazi occupation, the former long Kirov Street was split at the Stalin Square (today European Square) into Kirov Street (today Hrushevsky Street) and Volodymyr Descent that stretched from the Stalin Square to Contracts Square. In 1955 the street was shortened and part of it between Postal Square and Contracts Square was renamed Zhdanov Street (today Sahaidachny Street) after the Soviet official Andrei Zhdanov.
Pechersk (Ukrainian: Печерськ) is a historical neighborhood in the city center of Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. It is a part of the administrative Pechersk Raion (district). Pechersk is located between the Lypky, Klov and Dnieper hills. One of its main streets are the Ivan Mazepa Street, Dmytro Godzenko Street, Lesya Ukrainka Boulevard.