locality in the borough of Mitte, Berlin
Wikimedia Commons category: Berlin-Tiergarten
English Tiergarten, Berlin
Tiergarten (German for Animal Garden, historically for Deer Garden) is a locality within the borough of Mitte, in central Berlin (Germany). Notable for the great and homonymous urban park, before German reunification, it was a part of West Berlin. Until Berlin's 2001 administrative reform, Tiergarten was also the name of a borough (Bezirk), consisting of the current locality (Ortsteil) of Tiergarten (formerly called Tiergarten-Süd) plus Hansaviertel and Moabit. A new system of road and rail tunnels runs under the park towards Berlin's main station in nearby Moabit.
Source: Tiergarten, Berlin
Tiergarten ist ein Ortsteil im Bezirk Mitte von Berlin. Er entstand bei der Verwaltungsreform 2001 durch Teilung des ehemaligen Bezirks Tiergarten, der zusätzlich noch das Hansaviertel und Moabit umfasste. Im heutigen Sprachgebrauch steht Tiergarten häufig sowohl für den Ortsteil Tiergarten, den ehemaligen Bezirk Tiergarten oder für den Stadtpark Großer Tiergarten. Das südlich des Großen Tiergartens liegende Teilgebiet des heutigen Ortsteils wird in Abgrenzung zum ehemaligen Bezirk Tiergarten auch Tiergarten Süd genannt.
Polish Tiergarten (dzielnica Berlina)
Tiergarten, Berlin-Tiergarten – dzielnica (Ortsteil) Berlina w okręgu administracyjnym Mitte. Od 1 stycznia 1861 w granicach miasta. Nazwa okręgu pochodzi od zajmującego znaczną jej część parku Großer Tiergarten.
W dzielnicy znajduje się ponad 30 ambasad i dwa konsulaty.
Source: Tiergarten (dzielnica Berlina)
Тирга́ртен (нем. Tiergarten, буквально «зоосад», произносится раздельно: «Ти́р-га́ртен») — район Берлина в составе административного округа Митте. В своих нынешних границах район появился в 2001 году в результате административной реформы после слияния бывших округов Митте и Тиргартен и выделения районов в составе укрупнённых округов. В просторечии берлинцы до сих пор под Тиргартеном могут подразумевать не только сегодняшний район Тиргартен, но и всю территорию бывшего округа Тиргартен, входящую сегодня также в районы Моабит и Ганзафиртель.
Berlin-Tiergarten [ˈtiːɐ̯ˌɡaʁtn̩] est le nom d'un quartier de Berlin, situé dans l'arrondissement de Mitte. Avant la réforme de 2001 et son intégration à l'arrondissement, l'ancien district de Tiergarten comprenait les actuels quartiers de Tiergarten, Moabit et Hansaviertel. Le parc du Großer Tiergarten, ayant donné son nom à ce quartier, occupe la grande partie du territoire.
Italian Tiergarten (Berlino)
Tiergarten è un quartiere (Ortsteil) di Berlino, appartenente al distretto (Bezirk) di Mitte.
Il quartiere è in gran parte occupato dall'omonimo parco, il maggiore della città; la zona edificata si trova a sud e comprende il quartiere delle ambasciate (Diplomatenviertel), il Kulturforum, la zona di Potsdamer Platz e la zona residenziale detta Tiergartenviertel o Tiergarten-Süd. Nella zona nord-orientale del parco si trova invece il quartiere governativo, con il Reichstag (sede del parlamento federale) e la Band des Bundes, la fascia degli edifici federali.
Source: Tiergarten (Berlino)
Tiergarten (literalmente "jardim de animais" em alemão) é um bairro na parte ocidental da cidade de Berlim, capital da Alemanha. Dentro do bairro há um grande parque que funcionava como um lugar de caça para os reis da Prússia, o Tiergarten, que deu o nome ao bairro. É o primeiro parque público de Berlim desde o final do século XVIII. No bairro encontram-se vários monumentos arquitetônicos, como Siegessäule, Kongresshalle e o Palácio de Bellevue.
蒂尔加滕（德語：Tiergarten，德语：[ˈtiːɐ̯ˌɡaʁtn̩] （ 聆聽））是德国首都柏林米特区的一个下属区。2001年柏林行政区划改革之前的蒂尔加滕区，则是柏林的一个区份，包括了本条目描述的蒂尔加滕，以及汉萨菲特尔和莫阿比特三个下属区。如今，“蒂尔加滕”这个名称，在不同语境中可以代指行政区划改革之前的蒂尔加滕区，也可代指改革之后的蒂尔加滕下属区，同时也是区内大蒂尔加滕公园的名称。大蒂尔加滕公园以南的一片地区，旧时也被称为“南蒂尔加滕（Tiergarten-Süd）”。
Places located in Tiergarten
Mitte is the first and most central borough of Berlin. The borough consists of six sub-entities: Mitte proper, Gesundbrunnen, Hansaviertel, Moabit, Tiergarten and Wedding.
It is one of the two boroughs (the other being Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg) which were formerly divided between East Berlin and West Berlin. Mitte encompasses Berlin's historic core and includes some of the most important tourist sites of Berlin like Museum Island, the Reichstag and Berlin Hauptbahnhof, Checkpoint Charlie, the TV tower, Brandenburg Gate, Unter den Linden, Potsdamer Platz, Alexanderplatz, the latter five of which were in former East Berlin.
The Reichstag (German: Reichstagsgebäude pronounced [ˈʁaɪçstaːksgəˈbɔʏdə]; officially: Deutscher Bundestag – Plenarbereich Reichstagsgebäude pronounced [ ˈdɔʏtʃɐ ˈbʊndəsˌtaːk ˈpleːnaːrbəraɪç ˈʁaɪçstaːksgəˈbɔʏdə]) is a historic edifice in Berlin, Germany, constructed to house the Imperial Diet (German: Reichstag) of the German Empire. It was opened in 1894 and housed the Diet until 1933, when it was severely damaged after being set on fire. After World War II, the building fell into disuse; the parliament of the German Democratic Republic (the Volkskammer) met in the Palast der Republik in East Berlin, while the parliament of the Federal Republic of Germany (the Bundestag) met in the Bundeshaus in Bonn.
The ruined building was made safe against the elements and partially refurbished in the 1960s, but no attempt at full restoration was made until after German reunification on 3 October 1990, when it underwent a reconstruction led by architect Norman Foster. After its completion in 1999, it once again became the meeting place of the German parliament: the modern Bundestag.
The term Reichstag, when used to connote a diet, dates back to the Holy Roman Empire. The building was built for the Diet of the German Empire, which was succeeded by the Reichstag of the Weimar Republic. The latter would become the Reichstag of Nazi Germany, which left the building (and ceased to act as a parliament) after the 1933 fire and never returned, using the Kroll Opera House instead; the term Reichstag has not been used by German parliaments since World War II. In today's usage, the word Reichstag (Imperial Diet Building) refers mainly to the building, while Bundestag (Federal Diet) refers to the institution.
The Berlin State Library (German: Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin; officially abbreviated as SBB, colloquially Stabi) is a universal library in Berlin, Germany and a property of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation. It is one of the largest libraries in Europe, and one of the most important academic research libraries in the German-speaking world. It collects texts, media and cultural works from all fields in all languages, from all time periods and all countries of the world, which are of interest for academic and research purposes. Some famous items in its collection include the oldest biblical illustrations in the fifth-century Quedlinburg Itala fragment, a Gutenberg Bible, the main autograph collection of Goethe, the world's largest collection of Johann Sebastian Bach's and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's manuscripts, and the original score of Ludwig van Beethoven's Symphony No. 9.
Potsdamer Platz (German: [ˈpɔtsdamɐ plats] (listen), literally Potsdam Square) is an important public square and traffic intersection in the centre of Berlin, Germany, lying about 1 km (1,100 yd) south of the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag (German Parliament Building), and close to the southeast corner of the Tiergarten park. It is named after the city of Potsdam, some 25 km (16 mi) to the south west, and marks the point where the old road from Potsdam passed through the city wall of Berlin at the Potsdam Gate. After developing within the space of little over a century from an intersection of rural thoroughfares into the most bustling traffic intersection in Europe, it was totally destroyed during World War II and then left desolate during the Cold War era when the Berlin Wall bisected its former location. Since German reunification, Potsdamer Platz has been the site of major redevelopment projects.
The Berlin Zoological Garden (German: Zoologischer Garten Berlin) is the oldest and best-known zoo in Germany. Opened in 1844 it covers 35 hectares (86.5 acres) and is located in Berlin's Tiergarten. With about 1,380 different species and over 20,200 animals the zoo presents one of the most comprehensive collection of species in the world.The zoo and its aquarium had more than 3.5 million visitors in 2017. It is the most-visited zoo in Europe and one of the most popular worldwide. Regular animal feedings are among its most famous attractions. Globally known animals like Knut, the polar bear, and Bao Bao, the giant panda have contributed to the zoo's public image.
The zoo collaborates with many universities, research institutes, and other zoos around the world. It maintains and promotes European breeding programmes, helps safeguard several endangered species, and participates in several species reintroduction programs.
The Victory Column (German: Siegessäule , from Sieg ‘victory’ + Säule ‘column’) is a monument in Berlin, Germany. Designed by Heinrich Strack after 1864 to commemorate the Prussian victory in the Danish-Prussian War, by the time it was inaugurated on 2 September 1873, Prussia had also defeated Austria and its German allies in the Austro-Prussian War (1866) and France in the Franco-Prussian War (1870–71), giving the statue a new purpose. Different from the original plans, these later victories in the so-called unification wars inspired the addition of the bronze sculpture of Victoria, 8.3 metres (27 ft) high and weighing 35 tonnes, designed by Friedrich Drake. Berliners have given the statue the nickname Goldelse, meaning something like "Golden Lizzy".The Victory Column is a major tourist attraction in the city of Berlin. Its viewing platform, for which a ticket is required, offers a view over Berlin.
The German Resistance Memorial Center (German: Gedenkstätte Deutscher Widerstand) is a memorial and museum in Berlin, capital of Germany. It was opened in 1980 in part of the Bendlerblock, a complex of offices in Stauffenbergstrasse (formerly Bendlerstrasse), south of the Großer Tiergarten in Tiergarten. It was here that Colonel Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg and other members of the failed 20 July plot that attempted to assassinate Adolf Hitler were executed.
Although the memorial is primarily intended to commemorate those members of the German Army who tried to assassinate Hitler in 1944, it is also a memorial to the German resistance in the broader sense. Historians agree that there was no united, national resistance movement in Nazi Germany at any time during Hitler's years in power (1933–45). Joachim Fest describes it as "the resistance that never was." Nevertheless, the term German Resistance (Deutscher Widerstand) is now used to describe all elements of opposition and resistance to the Nazi Regime, including the underground networks of the Social Democrats and Communists, The White Rose, opposition activities of the Catholic Church and other Christian denominations such as the Confessing Church), along with the resistance groups based in the civil service, intelligence organs and armed forces.
The Tiergarten (formal German name: Großer Tiergarten) is Berlin’s most popular inner-city park, located completely in the district of the same name. The park is 210 hectares (520 acres) in size and is among the largest urban gardens of Germany. Only the Tempelhofer Park (previously Berlin's Tempelhof airport) and Munich's Englischer Garten are larger.
The Carillon in Berlin-Tiergarten is located in a freestanding 42m-tall tower next to the House of World Cultures (Haus der Kulturen der Welt), near the Chancellery in the northeastern part of Berlin's central Tiergarten park. It is a large, manually played concert instrument, comprising 68 bells weighing a total of 48 metric tonnes (almost 106,000 lbs.) connected to a keyboard spanning 5½ fully chromatic octaves; the largest bell weighs 7.8 tonnes (almost 17,200 lbs.). The carillonneur sits in a playing cabin in the middle of the bells and plays with his fists and feet on a baton-and-pedal keyboard. The purely mechanical action makes it possible to play all dynamic gradations, from very soft to very loud.
The carillon was given to the city by Daimler-Benz AG under CEO Edzard Reuter in 1987 on the occasion of Berlin's 750th birthday. It was cast by Royal Dutch foundry Eijsbouts according to the specifications of carillonneur Jeffrey Bossin. It is one of the largest instruments of its kind in Europe and approximately the fourth largest (by number of bells) in the world.
Berlin carillonneur Jeffrey Bossin plays concerts on the carillon every Sunday at 3 p.m. from the beginning of May until the end of September and on the more important national holidays (2 p.m. in December); the programs include music written for the carillon and arrangements of classical works and popular songs. Tours of the carillon tower, including a unique view of Berlin and its government buildings, are offered at the end of the concerts. The carillonneur guides groups through the tower and (in English and German) answers questions, explains the special features of the instrument, and recounts the history of the carillon in Berlin from its beginnings under the first King of Prussia to the reunification of Germany. He demonstrates the instrument's playing technique and plays a carillon piece for his guests.
The German Chancellery (German: Bundeskanzleramt, more faithfully translated as Federal Chancellery) is an agency serving the executive office of the Chancellor of Germany, the head of the federal government, currently Angela Merkel. It is the largest government headquarters in the world. The Chancellery's primary function is to assist the Chancellor in coordinating the activities of the federal government. The Head of the Chancellery (Chef des Bundeskanzleramtes) holds the rank of either a Secretary of State (Staatssekretär) or a Federal Minister (Bundesminister), currently held by Helge Braun. The headquarters of the German Chancellery is at the Federal Chancellery building in Berlin.
The Haus der Kulturen der Welt ("House of the World's Cultures") in Berlin is Germany's national centre for the presentation and discussion of international contemporary arts, with a special focus on non-European cultures and societies. It presents art exhibitions, theater and dance performances, concerts, author readings, films and academic conferences on Visual Art and culture. It is one of the institutions which, due to their national and international standing and the quality of their work, receive funding from the federal government as so-called "lighthouses of culture."
Mendelssohn-Bartholdy-Park is a Berlin U-Bahn station opened in 1998 on the U 2 line in the Tiergarten district, at the border with Kreuzberg. The station received its name after a small park east of the building, itself named in honor of the composer Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, commonly known as Felix Mendelssohn.
Though it is one of the youngest stations of the Berlin U-Bahn system, it is located on the first Stammstrecke line of 1902, where its northern branch crosses the Landwehr Canal on a viaduct and passes north through part of the Scandic Hotel before heading underground towards Potsdamer Platz. With the building of the Berlin Wall on 13 August 1961, train service was interrupted and for a brief time in 1991 the tracks served for the experimental M-Bahn maglev line, stopping at Bernburger Strasse station slightly to the north.
Following reunification, the M-Bahn was removed to allow the U-Bahn U2 to be reinstated. The line was reopened on 13 November 1993, the station with access to the debis headquarters of the former Daimler-Benz company however was not opened until 2 October 1998.
The station has disabled access with lifts on the South entrance of the station.
The battle in Berlin was an end phase of the Battle of Berlin. While the Battle of Berlin encompassed the attack by three Soviet Army Groups to capture not only Berlin but the territory of Germany east of the River Elbe still under German control, the battle in Berlin details the fighting and German capitulation that took place within the city.
The outcome of the battle to capture the capital of Nazi Germany was decided during the initial phases of the Battle of Berlin that took place outside the city. As the Soviets invested Berlin and the German forces placed to stop them were destroyed or forced back, the city's fate was sealed. Nevertheless, there was heavy fighting within the city as the Red Army fought its way, street by street, into the centre.
On 23 April 1945, the first Soviet ground forces started to penetrate the outer suburbs of Berlin. By 27 April, Berlin was completely cut off from the outside world. The battle in the city continued until 2 May 1945. On that date, the commander of the Berlin Defence Area, General Helmuth Weidling, surrendered to the commander of the Soviet 8th Guards Army, Lieutenant-General Vasily Chuikov. Chuikov was a constituent of Marshal Georgiy Zhukov's 1st Belorussian Front.
The Kulturforum is a collection of cultural buildings in Berlin, Germany. It was built up in the 1950s and 1960s at the edge of West Berlin, after most of the once unified city's cultural assets had been lost behind the Berlin Wall. The Kulturforum is characterized by its innovative modernist architecture; several buildings are distinguished by the organic designs of Hans Scharoun, and the Neue Nationalgalerie was designed by Mies van der Rohe. Today, the Kulturforum lies immediately to the west of the redeveloped commercial node of Potsdamer Platz.
The Berliner Philharmonie (German: [bɛʁˌliːnɐ fɪlhaʁmoˈniː] (listen)) is a concert hall in Berlin, Germany, and home to the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra.
The Philharmonie lies on the south edge of the city's Tiergarten and just west of the former Berlin Wall. The Philharmonie is on Herbert-von-Karajan-Straße, named for the orchestra's longest-serving principal conductor. The building forms part of the Kulturforum complex of cultural institutions close to Potsdamer Platz.
The Philharmonie consists of two venues, the Grand Hall (Großer Saal) with 2,440 seats and the Chamber Music Hall (Kammermusiksaal) with 1,180 seats. Though conceived together, the smaller hall was opened in the 1980s, some twenty years after the main building.
Platz der Republik (German: [ˈplats deːɐ̯ ʁepuˈbliːk], Republic Square) is a square in Berlin, Germany. It is located in the Tiergarten (borough Mitte), directly in front (west) of the Reichstag building. The square has an area of about 36,900 square meters and is almost completely covered by grass but is decorated with some hedges and a few trees.
Before 1926 and between 1933 and 1948 it was called Königsplatz (German: [ˈkøːnɪçsˌplats], King's Square). The Victory Column stood here before it was moved to its present location in 1939.
The Siegesallee (German: [ˈziːɡəs.aˌleː], Victory Avenue) was a broad boulevard in Berlin, Germany. In 1895, Kaiser Wilhelm II ordered and financed the construction and expansion of an existing alley with a variety of marble statues, which was finalized in 1901.
About 750 m in length, it ran northwards through the Tiergarten park from Kemperplatz (an intersection of roads on the southern edge of the park near Potsdamer Platz), to the former site of the Victory Column at the Königsplatz, close to the Reichstag. Along its length the Siegesallee cut across the Charlottenburger Chausee (today's Straße des 17. Juni, the main avenue that runs east–west through the park and leads to the Brandenburg Gate).
The marble monuments and the neobaroque ensemble were ridiculed even by its contemporaries. Berlin folkore dubbed the Kaiser Denkmalwilly (Monument Billy) for his excessive historicism. Moves to have the statues demolished were thwarted after the end of the monarchy in 1919.
The Siegessäule and the figures were moved by the Nazi government to the Großer Stern in 1939 to allow for larger military parades and conventions.
Some of the monuments were lost in the aftermath of the Second World War. The allied forces (the area later belonged to the British sector) had the alley erased and the area replanted. The Soviet War Memorial (Tiergarten) was erected there, deliberately crossing the former Victor Avenue of its foes in a symbolic act immediately after the end of the war.
Currently the remaining figures are being repaired and exhibited in Spandau. They will be part of the exhibition Enthüllt – Berlin und seine Denkmäler. The track itself was reconstructed as a footpath in 2006.
Bellevue Palace (German: Schloss Bellevue), located in Berlin's Tiergarten district, has been the official residence of the President of Germany since 1994. It is situated on the banks of the Spree river, near the Berlin Victory Column, along the northern edge of the Großer Tiergarten park. Its name – the French for "beautiful view" – derives from its scenic prospect over the Spree's course.
The Sony Center is a Sony-sponsored building complex located at the Potsdamer Platz in Berlin, Germany designed by Helmut Jahn. It opened in 2000 and houses Sony's German headquarters.
Berlin Potsdamer Platz is a railway station in Berlin. It is completely underground and situated under Potsdamer Platz in central Berlin. Regional and S-Bahn services call at the station.
The Neue Nationalgalerie (New National Gallery) at the Kulturforum is a museum for modern art in Berlin, with its main focus on the early 20th century. It is part of the National Gallery of the Berlin State Museums. The museum building and its sculpture gardens were designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and opened in 1968.The gallery closed in 2015, for "several years" of renovation.
Tiergartenstraße is a street in the Tiergarten district in central Berlin, the capital of Germany. The street runs east-west along the southern edge of the Großer Tiergarten park from Kemperplatz and Ben-Gurion-Straße near Sony Center and Potsdamer Platz in the east to the intersection of Hofjägerallee and Klingelhöferstraße in the west. On the street’s southern side, the street intersects with (from east to west), Herbert-von-Karajan-Straße, Stauffenbergstraße, Hildebrandstraße, Hiroshimastraße and Clara-Wieck-Straße.
The neighbourhood was incorporated into the City of Berlin in 1861, soon after the 1871 Unification of Germany it developed into an affluent residential area and later into the capital's diplomatic quarter.
White Crosses (in German: Weiße Kreuze) is a memorial for those who died during the Cold War at the Berlin Wall. It is located at the shore of the river Spree in Berlin next to the Reichstag building, which houses the German parliament. Established by the private group Berliner Bürger-Verein on the 10th anniversary of the Berlin Wall in 1971 it was first located east of the Reichstag on a fence directly in front of the wall. After the German reunification in 1990 it kept its location until construction of the new government buildings next to the Reichstag was started at the end of that century – Berlin was chosen to be the new capital of Germany.During construction the memorial was moved to a location south of the Reichstag next to the Tiergarten. On the 50th anniversary of the Uprising of 1953 in East Germany a second set of crosses was erected on the riverbank, which is slightly north-west of the original location. The opening speech was given by then President of the Bundestag Wolfgang Thierse.
The Bendlerblock is a building complex in the Tiergarten district of Berlin, Germany, located on Stauffenbergstraße (formerly named Bendlerstraße). Erected in 1914 as headquarters of several Imperial German Navy (Kaiserliche Marine) offices, it served the Ministry of the Reichswehr after World War I. Significantly enlarged under Nazi rule, it was used by several departments of the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht (OKW) from 1938, especially the Oberkommando des Heeres and the Abwehr intelligence agency.
The building is notable as the headquarters of a resistance group of Wehrmacht officers who carried out the 20 July plot against Adolf Hitler in 1944. As the leaders of the conspiracy were summarily shot in the courtyard, the Bendlerblock also includes the Memorial to the German Resistance. Since 1993, the building complex has served as a secondary seat of the German Federal Ministry of Defence.
The Bahntower, also written as BahnTower and Bahn-Tower, (English: Railway Tower) is a 26-story, 103 m (338 ft) skyscraper on the Potsdamer Platz in Berlin, Germany. Built between 1998 and 2000, the Bahntower provides 22,000 m² (236,806 sq ft)
of office space for the headquarters of Deutsche Bahn (English: German Railway). It is the sixth-tallest building in Berlin and the sixty-fourth tallest building in Germany.
The Museum of Film and Television Berlin is one of six film museums in Germany. It opened in 2000 as part of the Deutsche Kinemathek, the German Film Archive and Museum for Film and Television.
The Kupferstichkabinett, or Museum of Prints and Drawings, is a prints museum in Berlin, Germany. It is part of the Berlin State Museums, and is located in the Kulturforum on Potsdamer Platz. It is the largest museum of graphic art in Germany, with more than 500,000 prints and around 110,000 individual works on paper (drawings, pastels, watercolours, oil sketches).
The Columbushaus (Columbus House) was a nine-storey modernist office and shopping building in Potsdamer Platz in Berlin, designed by Erich Mendelsohn and completed in 1932. It was an icon of progressive architecture which passed relatively unscathed through World War II but was gutted by fire in the June 1953 uprising in East Germany. The ruin was subsequently razed in 1957 because it stood in the border strip; the site where the structure once stood was occupied by activists shortly before the fall of the Berlin wall.
The Beethoven-Haydn-Mozart Memorial (German: Komponistendenkmal) is an outdoor 1904 memorial to the classical composers Ludwig van Beethoven, Joseph Haydn and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, designed by Rudolf and Wolfgang Siemering and located in Tiergarten, Berlin, Germany. The monument was commissioned by Kaiser Wilhelm II. The monument suffered considerable damage during WWII and was not fully restored until 2007. After two years of restoration works, the Beethoven-Haydn-Mozart Denkmal was re-erected that year, providing the revitalized monument that can be seen today.
The Memorial to the Murdered Members of the Reichstag is a memorial in Berlin, Germany. The memorial is located in front of the Reichstag building, and commemorates the 96 members of the parliament who died unnaturally between 1933 and 1945 (1948). The idea of creating the monument started in the 1980s, and the memorial was erected in September 1992. It was designed by Dieter Appelt, Klaus W. Eisenlohr, Justus Müller and Christian Zwirner. The memorial is made of 96 cast iron plates, with the names, birth and death dates and places engraved on the edges. It has been designed so that it can be extended if new names are discovered in the future.
Haus Vaterland (Fatherland House) was a pleasure palace on the southwest side of Potsdamer Platz in central Berlin. Preceded by Haus Potsdam, a multi-use building including a large cinema and a huge cafe, from 1928 to 1943 it was a large, famous establishment including the largest cafe in the world, a major cinema, a large ballroom and numerous theme restaurants, promoted as a showcase of all nations. It was partially destroyed by fire in World War II, reopened in a limited form until 1953, and was finally demolished in 1976.
Der Große Stern (The Great Star) is the central square of the Großer Tiergarten park in Berlin; the Berlin Victory Column is sited in it.
The Shell-Haus (Shell House) is a classical modernist architectural masterpiece that stands overlooking the Landwehrkanal in the Tiergarten district of Berlin, Germany. It was designed by Emil Fahrenkamp and was built in 1930–31.
The Memorial to the Sinti and Roma Victims of National Socialism is a memorial in Berlin, Germany. The monument is dedicated to the memory of the 220,000 – 500,000 people murdered in the Porajmos – the Nazi genocide of the European Sinti and Roma peoples. It was designed by Dani Karavan and was officially opened on 24 October 2012 by German Chancellor Angela Merkel in the presence of President Joachim Gauck.
The Aquarium Berlin in Berlin is one of Germany's largest aquariums. The aquarium was built in 1913 as part of the Berlin Zoological Garden complex. Since its opening the Zoo-Aquarium has been ranked among the public aquariums with the world’s greatest biodiversity.
Tilla Durieux Park (German: Tilla-Durieux-Park) is a park near Potsdamer Platz in Berlin, Germany.
The Goethe Monument (German: Das Goethe-Denkmal) is an outdoor 1880 memorial to German writer and statesman Johann Wolfgang von Goethe by Fritz Schaper, located in Tiergarten in Berlin, Germany. The sculpture's base depicts the allegorical figures of Drama, Lyric Poetry (and Amor), and Science.
Spreebogenpark is a park in Tiergarten, Berlin, Germany.
The Reichstag dome is a glass dome, constructed on top of the rebuilt Reichstag building in Berlin. It was designed by architect Norman Foster and built to symbolize the reunification of Germany. The distinctive appearance of the dome has made it a prominent landmark in Berlin.
The Soviet War Memorial is one of several war memorials in Berlin, capital city of Germany, erected by the Soviet Union to commemorate its war dead, particularly the 80,000 soldiers of the Soviet Armed Forces who died during the Battle of Berlin in April and May 1945.The memorial is located in the Großer Tiergarten, a large public park to the west of the city centre, on the north side of the east-west Straße des 17. Juni (17 June Street) in the Tiergarten locality.
Bundestag is a Berlin U-Bahn station located on the U 55. The name of this station was changed in April 2006 from Reichstag to Bundestag after deputations from the Bundestag which sits in the Reichstag building.
Lützowplatz is a public, inner-city area with relatively high traffic in Berlin's Tiergarten district of Mitte.
Die Deutsche Kinemathek – Museum für Film und Fernsehen is a major German film archive, based in Berlin. Until the opening of a permanent display on television in the Filmmuseum Berlin on 1 June 2006, it was known as the Deutsche Kinemathek.
The underground station Kurfürstenstraße is part of the Berlin U-Bahn network in Germany. It is on the U1 and U3. The station opened on 24 October 1926 and it is located in Berlin Mitte borough.
It lies just to the north of Bülowstraße, the corresponding station on the U2, in the southeast corner of Tiergarten. The area has a rather seedy reputation, mainly due to prostitution. Potsdamer Straße is a major thoroughfare.
The statue of Theodor Fontane is an outdoor sculpture by German sculptors Max Klein and Frtz Schaper, installed at Großer Tiergarten in Berlin, Germany
Altgermanische Wisentjagd, or Altgermanische Büffeljagd, is an outdoor sculpture by Fritz Schaper, installed along Fasanerieallee in the Tiergarten, Berlin, Germany.
The statue of Helmuth von Moltke the Elder by Joseph Uphues is located near the Berlin Victory Column in the Tiergarten, Berlin.
Hasenhatz zur Rokokozeit, or Hasenhatz der Rokokozeit, is an outdoor sculpture by Max Baumbach, installed at Fasanerieallee in the Tiergarten, Berlin, Germany.
The Boxers is an outdoor 1987 steel and lacquer sculpture by Keith Haring, installed in Berlin, Germany.
Eberjagd um 1500 is an outdoor sculpture by Karl Begas, installed at Fasanerieallee in Tiergarten, Berlin, Germany.
The Lessing Monument (German: Lessing-Denkmal) is a monument to Gotthold Ephraim Lessing by Otto Lessing, installed at Tiergarten in Berlin, Germany.
Churfürstliche Fuchsjagd, also known as Die Fuchsjagd zur Kaiserzeit or Zeitgenössische Fuchsjagd, is an outdoor 1904 sculpture by Wilhelm Haverkamp, installed at Fasanerieallee in the Tiergarten, Berlin, Germany.
Legoland Discovery Centre is an indoor family attraction chain operated by British leisure group Merlin Entertainments. Featuring models and attractions inspired by the Lego building toys, the Discovery Centres are smaller versions of the Legoland theme parks located around the world.
Hercules and the Erymanthian Boar is an outdoor sculpture by Louis Tuaillon, located at Lützowplatz in Berlin-Tiergarten, Germany. It represents Hercules fighting the Erymanthian Boar, one of his Twelve Labours.
The artwork DER BEVÖLKERUNG by Hans Haacke was as commissioned and installed in 2000. It was erected in the north courtyard of the German Reichstag building in the year 2000 by resolution of the German Bundestag. The work consists of a trough measuring 21 x 7 meters, bounded by wooden beams, from the center of which the words "DER BEVÖLKERUNG" ("To the Population") radiate toward the sky in white neon letters. The words can be seen from all levels of the building: from the assembly hall, the floor reserved for the political parties and the press, as well as by visitors on the roof. The public funds allocated to the project were the equivalent of approx. 200,000 euros. The artwork was realized within the framework of the Reichstag's art in architecture program.
Kemperplatz is situated in the Tiergarten subdivision of the Mitte district in Berlin, Germany. It leads to Lennéstraße, Ben-Gurion-Straße, Tiergartenstraße, and connects to the Tiergarten Spreebogen Tunnel.