commune in Yvelines, France
Wikimedia Commons category: Versailles
English Versailles, Yvelines
Versailles (French pronunciation: [vɛʁsɑj] (listen)) is a city in the department of the Yvelines, Île-de-France, renowned worldwide for the Château de Versailles and the gardens of Versailles, designated UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Located in the western suburbs of the French capital, 17.1 km (10.6 mi) from the centre of Paris, Versailles is in the 21st century a wealthy suburb of Paris with a service-based economy and a major tourist destination as well. According to the 2017 census, the population of the city is 85,862 inhabitants, down from a peak of 94,145 in 1975.A new town founded at the will of King Louis XIV, Versailles was the de facto capital of the Kingdom of France for over a century, from 1682 to 1789, before becoming the cradle of the French Revolution. After having lost its status of royal city, it became the préfecture (regional capital) of the Seine-et-Oise département in 1790, then of Yvelines in 1968. It is also a Roman Catholic diocese.
Versailles is historically known for numerous treaties such as the Treaty of Paris, which ended the American Revolution, and the Treaty of Versailles, after World War I. Today, the Congress of France – the name given to the body created when both houses of the French Parliament, the National Assembly and the Senate, meet – gathers in the Château de Versailles to vote on revisions to the Constitution.
Source: Versailles, Yvelines
[vɛʀˈsɑːj] ist eine französische Stadt in der Region Île-de-France mit 85.205 Einwohnern (Stand 1. Januar 2018). Sie ist Verwaltungssitz (französisch: chef-lieu) des Départements Yvelines (78) und seit 1801 Sitz des Bistums Versailles. Der elegante Wohnort im Einzugsbereich von Paris ist auch Garnisonsstadt und einer der bedeutendsten Fremdenverkehrsorte des Landes. Er ist weltweit bekannt für das in seinen größten Teilen für den „Sonnenkönig“ Ludwig XIV. im 17. Jahrhundert erbaute Schloss Versailles und den dort unterzeichneten Friedensvertrag von Versailles von 1919.
Die Einwohner werden Versaillais genannt.
Wersal (fr. Versailles) – miejscowość i gmina we Francji, w regionie Île-de-France, w departamencie Yvelines.
Budowę Wersalu rozpoczęto w roku 1668. Znajduje się pod Paryżem i słynie z zespołu pałacowego, miejsca rezydencji królów francuskich od 1682 roku. Pałac wersalski, rozbudowany z rozmachem za Ludwika XIV. Twórcą założenia ogrodowo-parkowego był André Le Nôtre. W Wersalu w 1789 r. zwołane zostały Stany Generalne, w 1871 pałac był siedzibą rządu (wersalczycy), który stłumił Komunę Paryską. Miejsce wielu konferencji międzynarodowych, między innymi został tu podpisany Traktat wersalski 28 czerwca 1919.
Według danych na rok 1990 gminę zamieszkiwało 87 789 osób, a gęstość zaludnienia wynosiła 3353 osób/km² (wśród 1287 gmin regionu Île-de-France Versailles plasuje się na 6. miejscu pod względem liczby ludności, natomiast pod względem powierzchni na miejscu 35.).
W mieście znajdują się stacje kolejowe: Gare de Versailles-Chantiers, Gare de Versailles-Rive Gauche, Gare de Versailles-Rive Droite oraz Gare de Montreuil.
Russian Версаль (город)
Верса́ль (фр. Versailles) — город во Франции. Город (коммуна) Версаль, расположенный в 17,1 километра к юго-западу от центра французской столицы, является административным центром департамента Ивелин. Население в 2004 году составило около 85 900 жителей, снизившись с пиковой отметки 1975 года в 94 145 человек.
Source: Версаль (город)
Верса́ль (фр. Versailles, фр. вимова: [vɛʁˈsɑj] чи [vɛʁˈsaj], Версай) — місто та муніципалітет у Франції, у регіоні Іль-де-Франс, адміністративний центр департаменту Івлін. Населення — 86 307 осіб (2011).
Муніципалітет розташований на відстані близько 17 км на захід від Парижа.
cs Versailles (město ve Francii)
Versailles je město v západní části metropolitní oblasti Paříže ve Francii v departmentu Yvelines a regionu Île-de-France, světově proslulé svým stejnojmenným zámkem a parkem, zapsanými na seznamu UNESCO. Od centra Paříže je vzdáleno 17,1 km. Jedná se o luxusní a prosperující část pařížské aglomerace a důležité administrativní a soudní centrum.
Source: Versailles (město ve Francii)
Versalles (en francés: Versailles, [vɛʁ.sɑj] versái) es una ciudad de la región Isla de Francia, ubicada en los suburbios occidentales de París, 17,1 km al oeste del centro de París. Es la prefectura (capital) del departamento de Yvelines. Fue la capital del reino de Francia, desde finales del siglo XVII y durante casi todo el siglo XVIII. Actualmente es un elegante suburbio de París y un importante centro administrativo y judicial. En el 2008, la población de la ciudad era de 86 400 habitantes (según estimaciones), por debajo del máximo de 94 145 habitantes, alcanzados en 1975.
Versailles (/vɛʁ.saj/) est une commune française, chef-lieu du département des Yvelines dans la région Île-de-France, mondialement connue pour son château ainsi que pour ses jardins, sites classés sous l’égide de l'UNESCO dans la liste du patrimoine mondial de l’humanité. D'après le recensement de 2015, la population de la ville est de 85 771 habitants.
Ville nouvelle créée par la volonté du roi Louis XIV, elle fut le siège du pouvoir politique français pendant un siècle, de 1682 à 1789, mais également en 1871 et devint un des berceaux de la Révolution française, avec la ville de Vizille (qui commença la Révolution le 21 juillet 1788).
Après avoir perdu son statut de ville royale, elle devint le chef-lieu du département de Seine-et-Oise en 1790, puis celui des Yvelines en 1968, et d'un évêché.
Versailles est aussi historiquement connue pour avoir été le lieu de signature de deux traités : le traité de Paris (1783), qui termina la Guerre d'indépendance américaine, le traité de Versailles signé à l'issue de la Première Guerre mondiale.
Située dans la banlieue ouest de la capitale française, à 17,1 km du centre de Paris, Versailles est au XXIe siècle une ville résidentielle aisée avec une économie principalement tertiaire et constitue une destination touristique internationale de premier plan. C'est toujours à Versailles que se réunissent en congrès au château, députés et sénateurs, pour y ratifier toute modification de la constitution. Siège de l'université Versailles-Saint-Quentin (UVSQ) et accueillant de nombreuses entreprises[réf. nécessaire], la ville fait partie du projet de pôle de compétitivité technologique Paris-Saclay.
Versailles (pronuncia francese: /vɛʁ'saj(ə)/; in italiano /verˈsaj/, storicamente ’Versaglia’ ), è un comune francese di 85 424 abitanti, capoluogo del dipartimento degli Yvelines, nella regione dell'Île de France. La città è inoltre capoluogo dell'arrondissement di Versailles e dei cantoni di Versailles nord, Versailles nord ovest e di Versailles sud.
Il nome «Versailles» viene probabilmente dal latino "versare", "rivoltare". Il termine, risalente all'XI secolo, avrebbe designato in origine delle terre lavorate (rivoltate). Gli abitanti si chiamano versaillais.
Versalhes (em francês Versailles) é uma cidade no departamento de Yvelines, região da Ilha de França. Cidade artificial, criada a partir do zero por vontade do rei Luís XIV, Versalhes foi a sede do poder político durante um século, entre 1682 e 1789, antes de se tornar o berço da Revolução. Depois de perder o seu estatuto como "cidade real", torna-se a capital de um departamento, o Sena e Oise, em 1790, depois o Yvelines em 1968 e um bispado. É hoje uma cidade de sectores residenciais e de serviços como subúrbio de Paris, mais conhecida pelo seu castelo, o famoso Palácio de Versalhes, seus jardins, museus nacionais, estão na lista do patrimônio mundial da UNESCO e são destino turístico de primeiro plano.
Dominated by Louis XIV's palace.
Places located in Versailles
The Palace of Versailles ( vair-SY, vur-SY; French: Château de Versailles [ʃɑto d(ə) vɛʁsɑj] (listen)) was the principal royal residence of France from 1682, under Louis XIV, until the start of the French Revolution in 1789, under Louis XVI. It is located in the department of Yvelines, in the region of Île-de-France, about 20 kilometres (12 miles) southwest of the centre of Paris.The palace is now an historical monument and UNESCO World Heritage site, notable especially for the ceremonial Hall of Mirrors, the jewel-like Royal Opera, and the royal apartments; for the more intimate royal residences, the Grand Trianon and Petit Trianon located within the park; the small rustic Hameau (Hamlet) created for Marie Antoinette; and the vast Gardens of Versailles with fountains, canals, and geometric flower beds and groves, laid out by André le Nôtre. The Palace was stripped of all its furnishings after the French Revolution, but many pieces have been returned and many of the palace rooms have been restored.
In 2017 the Palace of Versailles received 7,700,000 visitors, making it the second-most visited monument in the Île-de-France region, just behind the Louvre and ahead of the Eiffel Tower.
The grand appartement de la reine is the Queen's grand apartment of the Palace of Versailles.
Forming a parallel enfilade with that of the grand appartement du roi, the grand appartement de la reine served as the residence of three queens of France: Marie-Thérèse d’Autriche, wife of Louis XIV, Marie Leszczyńska, wife of Louis XV, and Marie-Antoinette, wife of Louis XVI. Additionally, Louis XIV's granddaughter-in-law, Marie-Adélaïde de Savoie, as duchesse de Bourgogne, occupied these rooms from 1697, the year of her marriage, to her death in 1712.
When Louis Le Vau’s envelope of the château vieux (old palace) was completed, the grand appartement de la reine came to include a suite of seven enfilade rooms on the main floor in the left wing with an arrangement that mirrored almost exactly the grand appartement du roi in the right wing. The configuration was:
Chapel — corresponding to the salon de Diane in the King's grand apartment
Salle de gardes — corresponding to the salon de Mars in the King's grand apartment
Antichambre — corresponding to the salon de Mercure in the King's grand apartment
Chambre — corresponding to with the salon d’Apollon in the King's grand apartment
Grand cabinet — corresponding to the salon de Jupiter in the King's grand apartment
Oratory — corresponding to the salon de Saturne in the King's grand apartment
Petit cabinet — corresponding to the salon de Vénus in the King's grand apartmentAs with the decoration of the ceiling in the grand appartement du roi, which depicted the heroic actions of Louis XIV as allegories from events taken from the antique past, the decoration of the grand appartement de la reine likewise depicted heroines from the antique past and harmonized with the general theme of a particular room's decor.With the construction of the Hall of Mirrors, which began in 1678, the configuration of the grand appartement de la reine changed. The chapel was transformed into the salle des gardes de la reine and it was in this room that the decorations from the salon de Jupiter were reused. The salle des gardes de la reine communicates with a loggia that issues from the escalier de la reine (Queen's staircase), which corresponded (albeit a smaller, though similarly-decorated example) to the escalier des ambassadeurs (Ambassador's Staircase) in the grand appartement du roi. The loggia also provides access to the appartement du roi, the suite of rooms in which Louis XIV lived. Toward the end of Louis XIV's reign, the escalier de la reine became the principal entrance to the château, with the escalier des ambassadeurs used on rare state occasions. After the destruction of the escalier des ambassadeurs in 1752, the escalier de la reine became the main entrance to the château.
From 1682, the grand appartement de la reine included:
Salle des gardes de la reine
Antichambre (formerly the salle des gardes)
Chambre de la reineWith the death of Louis XIV in 1715, the court moved to Vincennes and later to Paris. In 1722, Louis XV reinstalled the court at Versailles and began modifications to the château's interior. Among the most noteworthy of the building projects during Louis XV's reign, the redecoration of the chambre de la reine must be cited.
To commemorate the birth of his only son and heir, Louis, in 1729, Louis XV ordered a complete redecoration of the room. Elements of the chambre de la reine as it had been used by Marie-Thérèse and Marie-Adélaïde de Savoie were removed and a new, more modern decor was installed.During her life at Versailles, Marie Leszczynska (1703–1768) lived in the grand appartement de la reine, to which she annexed the salon de la paid to serve as a music room. In 1770, when the Austrian archduchess Marie-Antoinette married the dauphin, later Louis XVI, she took up residence in these rooms. Upon Louis XVI's ascension to the throne in 1774, Marie-Antoinette ordered major redecoration of the grand appartement de la reine. At this time, the queen's apartment achieved the arrangement that we see today.
Salle des gardes de la reine — this room remained virtually unchanged by Marie-Antoinette.
Antichambre — this room was transformed into the antichambre du grand couvert. It was in this room that the king, queen, and members of the royal family dined in public. Occasionally, this room served as a theater for the château.
Grand cabinet — this room was transformed into the salon des nobles. Following the tradition established by her predecessor, Marie-Antoinette would hold formal audiences in this room. When not used for formal audiences, the salon des nobles served as an antechamber to the queen's bedroom.
Chambre de la reine — this room was used as the queen's bedroom, and was of exceptional splendor. On the night of 6/7 October 1789, Marie-Antoinette fled from the Paris mob by escaping through a private corridor that connected her apartment with that of the king.
The Hameau de la Reine (French pronunciation: [amo də la ʁɛn], The Queen's Hamlet) is a rustic retreat in the park of the Château de Versailles built for Marie Antoinette in 1783 near the Petit Trianon in Yvelines, France. It served as a private meeting place for the Queen and her closest friends, a place of leisure. Designed by the Queen's favoured architect, Richard Mique with the help of the painter Hubert Robert, it contained a meadowland with lakes and streams, a classical Temple of Love on an island with fragrant shrubs and flowers, an octagonal Belvédère, with a neighbouring grotto and cascade. There are also various buildings in a rustic or vernacular style, inspired by Norman or Flemish design, situated around an irregular pond fed by a stream that turned a mill wheel. The building scheme included a farmhouse, (the farm was to produce milk and eggs for the queen), a dairy, a dovecote, a boudoir, a barn that burned down during the French Revolution, a mill and a tower in the form of a lighthouse. Each building is decorated with a garden, an orchard or a flower garden. The largest and most famous of these houses is the "Queen's House", connected to the Billiard house by a wooden gallery, at the center of the village. A working farm was close to the idyllic, fantasy-like setting of the Queen's Hamlet.
The hameau is the best-known of a series of rustic garden constructions built at the time, notably the Prince of Condé's Hameau de Chantilly (1774–1775) which was the inspiration for the Versailles hamlet. Such model farms, operating under principles espoused by the Physiocrats, were fashionable among the French aristocracy at the time. One primary purpose of the hameau was to add to the ambiance of the Petit Trianon, giving the illusion that it was deep in the countryside rather than within the confines of Versailles. The rooms at the hameau allowed for more intimacy than the grand salons at Versailles or at the Petit Trianon.
Abandoned after the French Revolution, it was renovated in the late 1990s and is open to the public.
The Petit Trianon (French pronunciation: [pəti tʁijanɔ̃]; French for "small Trianon"), built between 1762 and 1768 during the reign of Louis XV of France, is a small château located on the grounds of the Palace of Versailles in Versailles, France. The park of the Grand Trianon includes the Petit Trianon.
The Grand Trianon (French pronunciation: [ɡʁɑ̃ tʁijanɔ̃]) is a château (palace) situated in the northwestern part of the Domain of Versailles. It was built at the request of King Louis XIV of France (r. 1643–1715), as a retreat for himself and his maîtresse en titre of the time, the Marquise de Montespan (1640–1707), and as a place where he and invited guests could take light meals (collations) away from the strict étiquette of the Court.
The Grand Trianon is set within its own park, which includes the Petit Trianon (the much smaller château built between 1762 and 1768 during the reign of Louis XV).
The Hall of Mirrors (French: Grande Galerie or Galerie des Glaces) is the central gallery of the Palace of Versailles in Versailles, France.
As the principal and most remarkable feature of King Louis XIV of France's third building campaign of the Palace of Versailles (1678–1684), construction of the Hall of Mirrors began in 1678. To provide for the Hall of Mirrors as well as the salon de la guerre and the salon de la paix, which connect the grand appartement du roi with the grand appartement de la reine, architect Jules Hardouin Mansart appropriated three rooms from each apartment as well as the terrace that separated the two apartments.The principal feature of this hall is the seventeen mirror-clad arches that reflect the seventeen arcaded windows that overlook the gardens. Each arch contains twenty-one mirrors with a total complement of 357 used in the decoration of the galerie des glaces. The arches themselves are fixed between marble pilasters whose capitals depict the symbols of France. These gilded bronze capitals include the fleur-de-lys and the Gallic cockerel or rooster. Many of the other attributes of the Hall of Mirrors were lost to war for financial purposes, such as the silver table pieces and guéridons, which were melted by order of Louis XIV in 1689 to finance the War of the League of Augsburg.Within the hall, the German Empire was declared in 1871 (Deutsche Reichsgründung) and the Treaty of Versailles signed by the victorious powers of World War I in 1919.
Versailles Cathedral (French: Cathédrale Saint-Louis de Versailles) is a Roman Catholic church located in Versailles, France. It is a national monument.
It is the seat of the Bishop of Versailles, created as a constitutional bishopric in 1790 and confirmed by the Concordat of 1801.
It was built as the parish church of Saint Louis before becoming the cathedral of the new diocese. The building is of the mid-18th century: the first stone was laid, by Louis XV, on 12 June 1743 and the church was consecrated on 24 August 1754. The architect was Jacques Hardouin-Mansart de Sagonne (1711-1778), a grandson of the famous architect Jules Hardouin-Mansart. In 1764 Louis-François Trouard added the Chapelle de la Providence (now the Chapelle des Catéchismes) to the northern transept.
During the French Revolution it was used as a Temple of Abundance, and badly defaced.
It was chosen and used as the cathedral by the post-Revolutionary bishop, who preferred it to the church of Notre-Dame in Versailles, which had been the choice of the preceding constitutional bishop. Its consecration as a cathedral was however severely delayed, and was not performed until 1843, by the diocese's third bishop, Louis-Marie-Edmond Blanquart de Bailleul.
The Gardens of Versailles (French: Jardins du château de Versailles; French pronunciation: [ʒaʁdɛ̃ dy ʃato də versaij]) occupy part of what was once the Domaine royal de Versailles, the royal demesne of the château of Versailles. Situated to the west of the palace, the gardens cover some 800 hectares of land, much of which is landscaped in the classic French formal garden style perfected here by André Le Nôtre. Beyond the surrounding belt of woodland, the gardens are bordered by the urban areas of Versailles to the east and Le Chesnay to the north-east, by the National Arboretum de Chèvreloup to the north, the Versailles plain (a protected wildlife preserve) to the west, and by the Satory Forest to the south.
Administered by the Public Establishment of the Palace, Museum and National Estate of Versailles, an autonomous public entity operating under the aegis of the French Ministry of Culture, the gardens are now one of the most visited public sites in France, receiving more than six million visitors a year.In addition to the meticulous manicured lawns, parterres, and sculptures are the fountains, which are located throughout the garden. Dating from the time of Louis XIV and still using much of the same network of hydraulics as was used during the Ancien Régime, the fountains contribute to making the gardens of Versailles unique. On weekends from late spring to early autumn, the administration of the museum sponsors the Grandes Eaux – spectacles during which all the fountains in the gardens are in full play. Designed by André Le Nôtre, the Grand Canal is the masterpiece of the Gardens of Versailles. In the Gardens too, the Grand Trianon was built to provide Sun King with the retreat he wanted. The Petit Trianon is associated with Marie-Antoinette, who spent her time there with her closest relatives and friends.In 1979, the gardens along with the château were inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List, one of thirty-one such designations in France.
The Royal Opera of Versailles (French: Opéra royal de Versailles) is the main theatre and opera house of the Palace of Versailles. Designed by Ange-Jacques Gabriel, it is also known as the Théâtre Gabriel. The interior decoration by Augustin Pajou is constructed almost entirely of wood, painted to resemble marble in a technique known as faux marble. The excellent acoustics of the opera house are at least partly due to its wooden interior.The house is located at the northern extremity of the north wing of the palace. General public access to the theater is gained through the two-story vestibule. Some parts of the Opéra, such as the King's Loge and the King's Boudoir represent some of the earliest expressions of what would become known as Louis XVI style.Lully’s Persée — written in 1682, the year Louis XIV moved into the palace — inaugurated the Opéra on 16 May 1770 in celebration of the marriage of the dauphin — the future Louis XVI — to Marie Antoinette.The Opéra Royal can serve either as a theater for opera, stage plays, or orchestral events, when it can accommodate an audience of 712, or as a ballroom, when the floor of the orchestra level of the auditorium can be raised to the level of the stage. On these occasions, the Opéra can accommodate 1,200.
The Musée Lambinet is a municipal museum in Versailles telling the history of the town. Since 1932 it has been housed in the hôtel Lambinet, a hôtel particulier designed by Élie Blanchard, built in the second half of the 18th century by a part of the Clagny lake (drained in 1837) and left to the town of Versailles by the heirs of Victor Lambinet (a cousin of the painter Émile Lambinet) in 1929. It has been classed as a monument historique since 1944. Its garden façade has a sculpted pediment representing an allegorical figure of architecture.
The museum has 35 rooms, some with period decor, in which collections on the town's history are displayed, such as furniture, ceramics and objets d'art as well as historic plans of the town and paintings, sculptures and other works of art by artists from the town (notably works by Jean-Antoine Houdon).
The Lycée Hoche is a public secondary school located in Versailles, not very far away from the famous Palace of Versailles. Formerly, it had been a nunnery founded by French queen Marie Leszczyńska. However, after the French Revolution, it became a school in 1803. In 1888, the school was named "Lycée Hoche" after the French general Lazare Hoche who was born in Versailles.
Together with Lycée Henri-IV, Lycée Louis-le-Grand, Lycée Saint-Louis, Lycée Stanislas and Lycée Sainte-Geneviève, the Lycée Hoche is one of the most prestigious schools in France for undergraduate education. Each year, scores of students coming from its preparatory classes are admitted to France's most renowned graduate schools, such as the École Polytechnique, the École Normale Supérieure, HEC Paris and ESSEC Business School.
Admission to Lycée Hoche is very competitive; the strict selection process is based on academic grades, drawing from middle schools (for entry into high school) and high schools (for entry into the preparatory classes) throughout France. Its educational standards are highly rated and the working conditions are considered optimal due to its demanding recruitment of teachers. Students generally achieve excellent results; topping national rankings for baccalauréat grades in high school and entry into the best grandes écoles in the preparatory classes.
The 200 years history of this school can be found in the recent book (June 2010) written by the French teacher Marie-Louise Mercier-Jouve: "Le lycee Hoche de Versailles, deux cents ans d'histoire" edited by Patrice Dupuy's editions, Paris.
The appartement du roi or King's Apartment is the suite of rooms in the Palace of Versailles that served as the living quarters of Louis XIV. Overlooking the Marble Court (cour de marbre), these rooms are situated in the oldest part of the chateau in rooms originally designated for use by the queen in Louis XIII's chateau. Owing largely to the discomfort of the grand appartement du roi and to the construction of the Hall of Mirrors, Louis XIV began to remodel these rooms for his use shortly after the death of Maria Theresa in 1684. The appartement du roi evolved to become the everyday working quarters for Louis XV and Louis XVI.
Initially, the appartement du roi consisted of a suite of eight rooms that issued from the Queen's Staircase (escalier de la reine). The number was reduced to seven after 1701 and to six in 1755.
The Galerie des Batailles (Gallery of Battles) is a gallery occupying the first floor of the aile du Midi of the Palace of Versailles, joining onto the grand and petit appartements de la reine. 120 metres long and 13 metres wide (390 ft. x 43 ft.), it is an epigone of the grand gallery of the Louvre and was intended to glorify French military history from the Battle of Tolbiac (traditionally dated 496) to the Battle of Wagram (5–6 July 1809).
Versailles–Chantiers is the principal railway station serving the city of Versailles. It provides national service on the Paris–Brest railway line, as well as regional, and commuter (Paris) rail service.
The Equestrian Statue of King Louis XIV is a sculpture designed and partially executed by the Italian artist Gian Lorenzo Bernini, who was originally brought to France to design a new facade of the Louvre, a portrait bust, and an equestrian statue. Bernini first discussed the project while in France in the mid-1660s, but it did not start until later in the decade, when back in Rome. It was not completed until 1684, and then shipped to Paris in 1685. Louis XIV of France was extremely unhappy with the end result and had it placed in a corner of the gardens of the royal palace at Versailles. Soon after, the sculpture was modified by François Girardon and altered into an equestrian sculpture of the ancient Roman hero Marcus Curtius.
The Versailles Synagogue is situated at 10, rue Albert Joly in Versailles in the Department of Yvelines. It is one of the oldest Synagogues in the Île-de-France. Built between 1884 and 1886 by the architect Alfred-Philibert Aldrophe (1834–1895), it was inaugurated in 1886.
Square des Francine is a public park created from a former watering pool for horses, situated at the edge of the Avenue de Sceaux in Versailles, France. In 2016 the pool was transformed into a geometrical shrubbery park with a playground for children around a fountain.The Francines were the family who over several generations created and oversaw the hydraulic system that ran the many fountains in the garden of Versailles during the 17th and 18th centuries. The newly created fountain is named in their honour.
Théâtre Montansier can refer to three different theatres built by Mademoiselle Montansier:
Théâtre Montansier (Versailles), Montansier's theatre in Versailles (opened 18 November 1777)
Théâtre du Palais-Royal in Paris, known as the Théâtre Montansier in 1790, 1800, and 1848–1852
Théâtre National (rue de la Loi), her theatre on the rue de la Loi (rue de Richelieu) in Paris (opened 15 August 1793; demolished 1820)
The present chapel of the Palace of Versailles is the fifth in the history of the palace. These chapels evolved with the expansion of the château and formed the focal point of the daily life of the court during the Ancien Régime (Bluche, 1986, 1991; Petitfils, 1995; Solnon, 1987).
The Potager du roi (fr: Kitchen Garden of the King), near the Palace of Versailles, produced fresh vegetables and fruits for the table of the court of Louis XIV. It was created between 1678 and 1683 by Jean-Baptiste de La Quintinie, the director of the royal fruit and vegetable gardens. Today it is run by the École Nationale Supérieure du Paysage, the high state school in France for the training of landscape architects. It is listed by the French Ministry of Culture as one of the Remarkable Gardens of France by the Comité des Parcs et Jardins de France. It is currently under the direction of Antoine Jacobsohn.
The Bust of Louis XIV is a marble portrait by the Italian artist Gian Lorenzo Bernini. It was created in the year 1665 during Bernini's visit to Paris. This sculptural portrait of Louis XIV of France has been called the "grandest piece of portraiture of the baroque age". The bust is on display at the Versailles Palace, in the Salon de Diane in the King's Grand Apartment.
The Latona Fountain in the Gardens of Versailles lies in the Latona Basin between the Chateau de Versailles and the Grand Canal. On the top tier, there is a statue of the goddess Latona, mother of the sun and moon gods. The fountain operates three times a week during the high season.
The Domain of Montreuil (French: Domaine de Madame Élisabeth) is located in the center of Versailles and encompasses 7.2 hectares of land. Louis XVI bought it in 1783 for his sister Elisabeth of France, known as Madame Élisabeth.
The Salon d'Hercule (also known as the Hercules Salon or the Hercules Drawing Room) is on the first floor of the Château de Versailles and connects the Royal Chapel in the North Wing of the château with the grand appartement du roi.
The Church of Notre-Dame, Versailles (French: Église Notre-Dame de Versailles), is a Roman Catholic parish church in Versailles, Yvelines, France, in the Rue de la Paroisse.
Le Bassin d'Apollon (En: The Apollon Pond) (also called in English The Fountain of Apollo or Apollo Fountain) is a fountain at the Palace of Versailles, France. Charles Le Brun designed the centerpiece depicting the Greek god Apollo rising from the sea in a four-horse chariot. A pond was dug on the site of the fountain in 1639 called "The Pond of the Swans". When King Louis XIV had it enlarged in 1671, the pond's east-west orientation and the common association of the King with Apollo prompted Le Brun to suggest dedicating the site to Apollo. The dawn theme was popular at the time and appears on some painted ceilings in European palaces. The fountain was constructed between 1668 and 1671.
In 2014, a same-scale replica was unveiled in Tainan, Taiwan, at the entrance of the Chimei Museum. The museum commissioned French artist Gills Perrault in 2008 to reproduce the Fountain of Apollo, same as the one in Palace of Versailles. It took three years for modern laser measuring and the plaster mold to be made in France for the reproduction sculpture, and another three years to carve the marbles in the city of Carrara, Italy.
The temple de l'Amour (English: Temple of Love) is a garden folly of the Château de Versailles, and more specifically, in the Petit Trianon part of it.
Satory is an area south of Versailles in France. It is mostly known for its military camp, housing:
Weapon-testing facilities of Nexter Systems
Barracks and facilities for Gendarmerie including the GIGN headquarters and the Mobile Gendarmerie armored grouping (GBGM);
Musique des Troupes de Marine
The areas hosted some of the shooting events for the 1900 Summer Olympics.The camp was also the original site for the Eurosatory international defense exhibition.
Versailles-Château–Rive Gauche is a station on line C of the Paris Region's express suburban rail system, the RER. It is situated in Versailles, in the département of Yvelines. This station is the terminus of RER C5, and the closest train station to the Château de Versailles. Until February 2012, the station was named Versailles - Rive Gauche ("Versailles–left bank").
The grande commande was a commission ordered by Louis XIV for statues intended to decorate the parterre d’eau of the gardens of the Palace of Versailles, as initially conceived in 1672. The commission, which included 24 statues and four groups, was ordered in 1674. Designed by Charles Le Brun from Cesare Ripa’s Iconologia, the statues were executed by the foremost sculptors of the day (Blunt, 1980; Friedman, 1988, 1993; Nolhac, 1913; Thompson, 2006; Verlet, 1985).
Owing to concerns of the effects of the vertical lines of the statues in relations to the garden façade of the château, the statues of the grande commande were transferred to other locations in the gardens in 1684 (Berger, 1985; Blunt, 1980; Friedman, 1988, 1993; Marie, 1968; Nolhac, 1901, 1913; Thompson, 2006; Verlet, 1985; Weber, 1993).
The 24 statues were personifications of the classic quaternities:
The four groupings represented the four classic Abductions:
The Four Abductions:Persephone by Pluto
Cybele by Saturn
Orethyia by Boreas
Coronis by Neptune
|named after||avenue de Versailles|