Central Local Court House, Sydney
Wikimedia Commons category: Central Court, Sydney
English Central Local Court House, Sydney
The Central Local Court House or Police Law Courts or Central Police Court is a heritage-listed building located at 98 Liverpool Street, in the central business district of Sydney, New South Wales in Australia. Constructed in the Federation Free Classical style based on original designs by Colonial Architect, James Barnet, the building structure was completed in 1892 under the supervision of Barnet's successor, Government Architect, Walter Liberty Vernon. It is also known as Sydney Central Local Court House, Police Law Courts and Central Police Court. The property is owned by the Department of Justice, a department of the Government of New South Wales. It was added to the New South Wales State Heritage Register on 2 April 1999. The court house is located in a precinct that includes the Downing Centre, and buildings housing the Family Court of Australia and the Federal Circuit Court in Sydney. Adjacent to the court house is Brickfield Place, a brick paved courtyard with seating and planter boxes, constructed in 1892, assessed as a good example of urban design for public open space.