neighborhood in Amsterdam consisting of seventeenth-century canals
The Grachtengordel (known in English as the Canal District) is a neighborhood in Amsterdam, Netherlands located in the Centrum district. The seventeenth-century canals of Amsterdam, located in the center of Amsterdam, were added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in August 2010. The Amsterdam Canal District consists of the area around the city’s four main canals: the Singel, the Herengracht, the Keizersgracht, and the Prinsengracht. From the Brouwersgracht, the canals are generally parallel with one another, leading gradually southeast into the Amstel river.
Many of the canal houses in the Amsterdam Canal District are from the Dutch Golden Age, 17th century. Many of these buildings, however, underwent restoration or reconstruction in various centuries, meaning that these building display many different architectural styles and facades.
German Amsterdamer Grachtengürtel
Der Amsterdamer Grachtengürtel ist ein System von Kanälen (Grachten) und gilt als beispielhafte Baukunst des Goldenen Zeitalters, das Amsterdam den Beinamen Venedig des Nordens einbrachte. Er war Teil eines Erweiterungsplans, der im frühen 17. Jahrhundert notwendig wurde, um für die rasant wachsende Bevölkerung Amsterdams Platz zu schaffen. Mit den Arbeiten wurde 1612 begonnen, die Bauzeit betrug rund 40 Jahre.
Source: Amsterdamer Grachtengürtel
Grachtengordel (dosł. pas kanałów) – nazwa pochodzącego z XVII wieku systemu kanałów (hol. grachten) w centrum Amsterdamu.
W 2010 roku strefa siedemnastowiecznych kanałów koncentrycznych w rejonie Singelgracht została wpisana na listę światowego dziedzictwa UNESCO.
Le Grachtengordel (traduisible en français par « ceinturage de canaux ») est un quartier de la capitale néerlandaise Amsterdam, situé dans le district Centrum. Il est délimité par le Singel à l'est et par le Prinsengracht à l'ouest, et est également traversé par le Herengracht et le Keizersgracht. À partir du Brouwersgracht, qui en constitue la frontière nord (ainsi que celle du Jordaan), les quatre canaux s'écoulent parallèlement les uns aux autres en direction du sud ouest, forment une légère courbe puis se jettent dans l'Amstel au niveau de la Waterlooplein. Le prolongement des canaux principaux à l'est, sous le nom de Nieuwe Herengracht, Nieuwe Keizersgracht et Nieuwe Prinsengracht atteint ensuite le Muidergracht, où le quartier du Plantage débute.
Grachtengordel è un quartiere nello stadsdeel di Amsterdam-Centrum, nella città di Amsterdam. È formato da due distretti Grachtengordel-West e Grachtengordel-Zuid.
zh 運河區 (阿姆斯特丹)
Source: 運河區 (阿姆斯特丹)
Places located in Grachtengordel
The Anne Frank House (Dutch: Anne Frank Huis) is a writer's house and biographical museum dedicated to Jewish wartime diarist Anne Frank. The building is located on a canal called the Prinsengracht, close to the Westerkerk, in central Amsterdam in the Netherlands.
During World War II, Anne Frank hid from Nazi persecution with her family and four other people in hidden rooms at the rear of the 17th-century canal house, known as the Secret Annex (Dutch: Achterhuis). She did not survive the war but her wartime diary was published in 1947. Ten years later the Anne Frank Foundation was established to protect the property from developers who wanted to demolish the block.
The museum opened on 3 May 1960. It preserves the hiding place, has a permanent exhibition on the life and times of Anne Frank, and has an exhibition space about all forms of persecution and discrimination. In 2013 and 2014, the museum had 1.2 million visitors and was the 3rd most visited museum in the Netherlands, after the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum.
Hermitage Amsterdam is a branch museum of the Hermitage Museum of Saint Petersburg, Russia, located on the banks of the Amstel river in Amsterdam. The museum is located in the former Amstelhof, a classical style building from 1681. The dependency displayed small exhibitions in the adjacent Neerlandia Building from 24 February 2004 until the main museum opened on 19 June 2009.
It is currently the largest satellite of the Hermitage Museum, with a total area of 12,846 m2 (138,270 sq ft) and fits with the museum's plan to make its collections accessible to more people. The exhibition area covers 2,172 m2 (23,380 sq ft) and is contained within two large exhibition halls and smaller exhibition rooms. The remaining space holds lecture halls, offices and staff accommodations and a restaurant.
The Bijbels Museum ("Biblical Museum") is a museum on the Herengracht in Amsterdam housing a collection of Bibles and other religious objects from the Judeo-Christian tradition, including the oldest Bible printed in the Netherlands (the 1477 Delftse Bijbel,), a first edition of the 1637 Dutch Authorised Version, and a facsimile copy of a Dead Sea scroll from Qumran containing the Book of Isaiah.
The museum also houses archaeological discoveries, artifacts from ancient Egypt collected by Leendert Schouten in the 19th century: oil lamps, clay tablets, earthenware, shards of pottery and coins. They give an impression of the religious life of the ancient Egyptians.There are also some replicas of the ancient Jewish Temple, including models of Solomon's Temple and Herod's Temple, as well as a 19th-century model of the Tabernacle, a reconstruction of the sacred shrine housing the Ark of the Covenant described in the Hebrew Bible, which the Israelites carried with them during their exile in the desert under the leadership of Moses. One part of the exhibit is called the "story attic for children," using light and sound to retell Biblical stories in three different settings: Egypt, Jerusalem, and the desert. This exhibit was designed by Abbie Steinhauser and Saskia van der Zanden, both graduates of the Gerrit Rietveld Academie.In 2009, the museum, with financial support from a Dutch lottery operator, was able to acquire the so-called Van Noordwijk collection, a collection of religious books with silver coverings.Founded in 1852, the museum celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2002 in the presence of Queen Beatrix. Thanks in part to popular temporary exhibitions and extensive renovations its number of visitors increased by 40% between 2001 and 2002, and it drew a record number of visitors, more than 47,000, in 2006. The museum continues to receive government subsidies for its operating budget, even though, according to the Dutch governmental council which decides on these matters, it has not done enough to attract a more diverse (i.e., non-denominational) audience.
Amsterdam, capital of the Netherlands, has more than one hundred kilometers of grachten (canals), about 90 islands and 1,500 bridges. The three main canals (Herengracht, Prinsengracht and Keizersgracht), dug in the 17th century during the Dutch Golden Age, form concentric belts around the city, known as the Grachtengordel. Alongside the main canals are 1550 monumental buildings. The 17th-century canal ring area, including the Prinsengracht, Keizersgracht, Herengracht and Jordaan, were listed as UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2010, contributing to Amsterdam's fame as the "Venice of the North".
The Magere Brug (English: Skinny Bridge) is a bridge over the river Amstel in Amsterdam, Netherlands. It connects the banks of the river at Kerkstraat, between the Keizersgracht and Prinsengracht.The central section of the Magere Brug is a bascule bridge made of white-painted wood. The present bridge was built in 1934. The first bridge at this site was built in 1691 as Kerkstraatbrug and had 13 arches. Because this bridge was very narrow, the locals called it magere brug, which literally means "skinny bridge". In 1871 the state of the bridge had deteriorated so much, it was demolished and replaced by a nine-arched wooden bridge. Half a century later, this bridge also needed to be replaced. Architect Piet Kramer made several designs for a steel and stone bridge, but the city decided to replace it with a new bridge that looked the same as the previous, only slightly bigger. In 1934, that bridge was demolished, and replaced by a redesign made by Piet Kramer. The last major renovation was in 1969. Until 1994, the bridge was opened by hand, but is now operated automatically.
Use of the bridge has been limited to pedestrians and cyclists since 2003. The centre-part is opened many times, daily, in order to let river traffic pass. The sightseeing tour boats are low enough to pass underneath the bridge when closed. The bridge is decorated with 1,200 light bulbs which are turned on in the evening.
A story told to tourists about the origins of the 1691 version of the bridge is that it was built by 2 sisters who lived on opposite sides of the Amstel river and wanted to be able to visit one another, every day. In one variant of the story, the sisters were not able to afford a bridge of adequate width or height, for general use, so a very narrow bridge was built, hence its name. In another variant, the sisters' last name was 'Mager', hence the bridge's name (rather than from its narrowness). Recent research of city archives revealed the name has its origin in the fact that originally a broad and monumental stone bridge was planned during Amsterdam's prosperous Golden Age, but the 1672 economic setback forced the city council to drastically scale back the plans, and build a basic and simple structure, instead. The many changes to the bridge over the years, it has been torn down and rebuilt more than any other bridge in the city, has led locals to regard this bridge as the most romantic of all in Amsterdam. It is a common site for proposals and lovers' strolls. Additionally, legend says that a kiss between lovers while on this bridge (or passing beneath by boat) ensures that they will be in love forever.
The bridge can be seen in a number of films, including the 1971 James Bond movie Diamonds Are Forever (in which the legend of the bridge's being built is heard by a boat tour guide).
The Brouwersgracht is a canal in Amsterdam that connects the Singel with the Singelgracht.
The canal marks the northwestern border of the Grachtengordel (canal belt).
Between the Prinsengracht and the Singelgracht the Brouwersgracht forms the northern border of the Jordaan neighborhood.
The house numbers of the Lijnbaansgracht, the Prinsengracht, the Keizersgracht, the Herengracht and the Singel start to count from the Brouwersgracht.
The Herenmarkt is located between Brouwersgracht no. 62 and no. 68, near the West-Indisch Huis (West Indies House).
In 2007 Brouwersgracht was voted the most beautiful street in Amsterdam by readers of Het Parool out of 150 nominations.
The Theatre of Van Campen (Dutch: Schouwburg van Van Campen, Dutch pronunciation: [ˈsxʌuˌbɵrx fɑn vɑn ˈkɑmpə(n)]) was a theatre located at Keizersgracht 384 in Amsterdam. It was the first city theatre, based on the Teatro Olimpico in Italy. The site is now occupied by a "The Dylon" hotel.
The theatre was built in 1637, by Jacob van Campen, who coined the word Schouwburg for it. It replaced the Duytsche Academy of Samuel Coster previously on the site, originally set up to broaden access to science by putting on lectures in the national vernacular rather than Latin (although other activities also took place, such as painting competitions). Coster, together with playwright Bredero, had had this Academy built as a simple wooden building, to the Italian model, in 1617.
Both Coster and Bredero came from the tradition of Rederijkers, and both were members been of the Rederijker "In Liefde Bloeyende". These societies developed in the early 17th century and, through their study of poetic texts, marked the beginnings of modern theatre in the Netherlands.
Amsterdam was in the midst of her Golden Age, and gradually the possibility a permanent theater building began to be debated. Van Campen, known as an architect and the designer of the Royal Palace, designed a simple permanent theatre, again according to the contemporary Italian example from that time, to replace the Academy. This theatre was due to be opened on 26 December 1637 with Gijsbrecht van Aemstel, a play specially written for the occasion by Vondel. Vondel had also written the text in the architrave of the theatre's entrance:
De weereld is een speeltoneel
Elck speelt zijn rol en krijght zijn deel
(The world is a theatre,
Everyone plays his role and gets his part)This entrance still survives from the original building.
The Calvinist kerkeraad (church council) of the municipality, however, attempted to stop the theatre opening, but were only temporarily successful, for the theatre was in the end still opened on 3 January 1638, with Vondel's play.
The theater of Van Campen served until 1664, when it became clear it was too small and ill-keeping with the Baroque architecture of the 1660s. The theatre temporarily closed at the outbreak of the Second Anglo-Dutch War and the new building, Schouwburg van Vingboons - twice as large as the old one and adapted to the requirements of that time - finally opened May 26, 1665. This theatre burned in 1772 after a rope caught fire after a performance.
The Homomonument is a memorial in the centre of Amsterdam, the capital of the Netherlands. It commemorates all gay men and lesbians who have been subjected to persecution because of their homosexuality. Opened on September 5, 1987, it takes the form of three large pink triangles made of granite, set into the ground so as to form a larger triangle, on the bank of the Keizersgracht canal, near the historic Westerkerk church. The Homomonument was designed to "inspire and support lesbians and gays in their struggle against denial, oppression and discrimination." It was the first monument in the world to commemorate gays and lesbians who were killed by the Nazis.Later, similar monuments were realised in a number of cities all around the world.
During the Netherlands’ annual Remembrance Day ceremony on May 4, wreaths are laid on the monument to commemorate LGBT victims of persecution. On May 5, Liberation Day, the monument becomes the site of a street party.
The Noordermarkt ("Northern Market") is a square in the Jordaan neighborhood of Amsterdam in the Netherlands.
The square is lined by cafés and restaurants. Markets are held on the square every Monday. On Saturdays, a popular organic farmer's market is held on the square. On Mondays a market (mainly for textiles) is also held in the adjacent Westerstraat street.
Noordermarkt dates back to 1616 and was originally named Prinsenmarkt, after the Prinsengracht canal which the square borders. After completion in 1623 of the Noorderkerk church, which dominates the square, the square came to be known as Noordermarkt. Until 1655 the square served mainly as a graveyard for the church.
During World War II, the organisers of the February Strike of 1941, to protest deportations of Jews by the Nazis, held their first public meetings on Noordermarkt square. This is commemorated by a plaque on the south face of the Noorderkerk church.
The Singel is one of the canals of Amsterdam. The Singel encircled Amsterdam in the Middle Ages, serving as a moat around the city until 1585, when Amsterdam expanded beyond the Singel. The canal runs from the IJ bay, near the Central Station, to the Muntplein square, where it meets the Amstel river. It is now the inner-most canal in Amsterdam's semicircular ring of canals.
The canal should not be confused with the Singelgracht, which became the outer limit of the city during the Dutch Golden Age in the 17th Century. Other Dutch towns also have ring-shaped canals named Singel. The name is related to the Dutch word omsingelen, "to surround", and comes ultimately from Latin cingulum, meaning "belt".
The Amsterdam City Archives (Dutch: Stadsarchief Amsterdam) preserves documents pertaining to the history of Amsterdam and provides information about the city. With archives covering a shelf-length of about 50 kilometres, the Amsterdam City Archives is the largest municipal archive in the world.
The Spuistraat in downtown Amsterdam connects the Hekelveld to the Spui. It runs roughly north to south, parallel to the Singel and the Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal. At the Royal Palace of Amsterdam, the Spuistraat crosses the Raadhuisstraat and Paleisstraat. Originally the Spuistraat was a canal, the Nieuwezijds Achterburgwal. The canal was filled in in 1867, and the street renamed then.
The Westerkerk (Dutch pronunciation: [ʋɛstərkɛrk]; English: Western Church) is a Reformed church within Dutch Protestant Calvinism in central Amsterdam, Netherlands. It lies in the most western part of the Grachtengordel neighborhood (Centrum borough), next to the Jordaan, between the Prinsengracht and Keizersgracht.
The Prinsengracht is a canal that runs parallel to the Keizersgracht in the center of Amsterdam. The canal, named after the Prince of Orange, is the fourth of the four main canals belonging to the canal belt.
The 9 Straatjes' (English: Nine little streets) is a neighborhood of Amsterdam, Netherlands located in the borough Centrum. It consists of nine side streets of the Prinsengracht, Keizersgracht, Herengracht and Singel in central Amsterdam which have been promoting themselves with that name since the 1990s. Together they form a sub-neighborhood within the larger western Grachtengordel ("Canal Belt"), one with many small and diverse shops and restaurants. The construction in this area goes back to the first half of the 17th century.
De 9 Straatjes is bordered on the north by the Raadhuisstraat and on the south by the Leidsegracht. In between, the Prinsengracht, Keizersgracht, Herengracht and Singel are intersected by three cross streets - but each of the cross streets has different names in each of its sections between the canals.
From the Prinsengracht towards the Singel and beginning with the northernmost streets, the streets are:
Reestraat ("Roe Deer Street") – Hartenstraat ("Hearts Street") – Gasthuismolensteeg ("Inn Mill Alley")
Berenstraat ("Bear Street") – Wolvenstraat ("Wolf Street") – Oude Spiegelstraat ("Old Mirror Street")
Runstraat ("Cow Street") – Huidenstraat ("Skins" or "Pelts Street") – Wijde Heisteeg ("Wide Heath Street")The names are reminders of many of the types of work that were carried out here in centuries past, especially the processing of skins (cow, bear, wolf and roe deer skins).
Museum Geelvinck Hinlopen Huis was situated from its opening 1991 till the end of 2015 in a canal-side mansion, the Geelvinck Hinlopen Huis in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. This patrician mansion, close to the Rembrandtplein, was built for Albert Geelvinck (1647-1693) and Sara Hinlopen (1660-1749), then in an attractive and new laid-out section of the city towards the Amstel. In the year 1687 the couple moved into this double wide house, with storage rooms in the cellar, under the attic and in the warehouse on Keizersgracht 633, now the entrance.
The canal mansion 'Geelvinck Hinlopen Huis' is now closed for the public, because the museum (including the rosarium) has moved to new premises. In Spring 2017 the museum opens its new premises in the historic mansion 'De Wildeman' in Zutphen.
The KattenKabinet ("Cat Cabinet") is an art museum in Amsterdam devoted to works depicting cats. The museum collection includes paintings, drawings, sculptures and other works of art by Pablo Picasso, Rembrandt, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Corneille, Sal Meijer, Théophile Steinlen, and Jože Ciuha, among others.
The museum is housed in a canalside building at Herengracht 497, in the grand Gouden Bocht ("Golden Bend") of this canal. The owner lives on the second floor of the building with his family. There are some cats in the museum as well.
The First Dutch Academy (Dutch: Eerste Nederduytsche Academie) was an institution set up by Samuel Coster (with the important support of Bredero and Hooft) in Amsterdam. The institution was set up to offer better theatre than the old rederijkerskamers could then manage. Another (perhaps more important) aim was to offer higher education to common people.
The academy was inaugurated on 23 September 1617 with 'Apollo' by Suffridus Sixtinus, and the tragedy "Vande moordt begaen aen Wilhelm van Orangiencode: nld promoted to code: nl " (the murder of William of Orange) by Gijsbert van Hoghendorp. This all occurred in a wooden building. The coat-of-arms of the academy consisted of a beehive under an eglantine with the word "IJver" ("zeal") as a motto.
Calvinistic preachers of that time put pressure on the new institution to close. The theatre did not give in, particularly since its first two professors were Mennonites (Sibrant Hanses Cardinael in Arithmetic and Jan Thonis in Hebrew).
In 1631, Vondel wrote his "Vraghe van d'Amsterdamsche Academi aan alle poëten en dichterscode: nld promoted to code: nl " (Questions of the Amsterdam Academics to all poets), provoking further vehement Calvinist reactions. Finally the 'Oeffenschool', that was meant to go with the academy, was founded. The Athenaeum Illustre was later set up in the city, but here no teaching was presented in the native language.
The main figures of the academy wrote comedy and farce:
Coster: Teeuwis de boer en Tysken vanden Schilde
Bredero: Lucelle, De Koe, Symen, De Meulenaer, Het Moortje, Spaansche Brabander
The Keizersgracht (Emperor's canal) is a canal in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
It is the second of the three main Amsterdam canals that together form the Grachtengordel, or canal belt, and lies between the inner Herengracht and outer Prinsengracht.
The Herengracht is the second of four Amsterdam canals belonging to the canal belt and lies between the Singel and the Keizersgracht.
The Gouden Bocht (Golden Bend) in particular is known for its large and beautiful canal houses.
The Westerstraat is one of the streets in the Jordaan, a neighborhood of Amsterdam, in the Netherlands. The street was created by the filling in of the Anjeliersgracht. It runs from the Noordermarkt to the Marnixstraat. Besides residential homes and shops, including a supermarket, there are restaurants and cafes.
The Museum of Bags and Purses (Dutch: Tassenmuseum Amsterdam), is a museum devoted to the history of bags, purses, and their related accessories. Located in Amsterdam's historic central canal belt, the museum's collection includes over 5,000 items dating back to the sixteenth-century.
One of only three museums across the globe specialising in this field, it houses the world's largest collection of bags and purses.
The Bloemenmarkt was the world's only floating flower market. Founded in 1862, it is sited in Amsterdam, Netherlands, on the Singel River between Muntplein and Koningsplein in the city's southern canal belt. It has 15 souvenir and gift shops, with only a few still selling fresh flowers. Today, the market is one of the main suppliers of dried tulip bulbs and tulip paraphernalia to tourists visiting Amsterdam.
The Joods Historisch Museum (Dutch pronunciation: [joːts ɦɪsˈtoːris myˈzeːjɵm]; English: Jewish Historical Museum), part of the Jewish Cultural Quarter, is a museum in Amsterdam dedicated to Jewish history, culture and religion, in the Netherlands and worldwide. It is the only museum in the Netherlands dedicated to Jewish history.
Huis Marseille, Museum for Photography is a photography museum in Amsterdam. It opened in 1999.
Huis Marseille was the first photography museum in the Netherlands when it opened in 1999; the Nederlands Fotomuseum in Rotterdam, the Fotomuseum Den Haag in The Hague, and FOAM in a nearby building have opened since. The museum is housed in a residence built around 1665 for a French merchant, and contains 13 exhibition spaces and a restored room in Louis XIV style; the building was restored and the museum extended into the adjacent building in 2007–2013.Exhibitions generally use the entire space and have mostly featured documentary photography. They have included Rob Hornstra's Sochi Project, photographs of Kyoto by Jacqueline Hassink, Sarkis' Ring Portraits, work by Juul Kraijer, and various photographers' works portraying dance.
The Multatuli Museum (also Multatuli House/Huis) is a 17th-century canal house in the Jordaan neighbourhood of Amsterdam, Netherlands. It is dedicated to Eduard Douwes Dekker (1820-1887), whose pen name was Multatuli. Multatuli is best known for his 1860 novel Max Havelaar, inspired by time spent in Indonesia while serving in the Dutch civil service. Eduard Douwes Dekker was born in the Multatuli House and he died 67 years later in Ingelheim am Rhein, Germany on a red sofa that can be seen here to date.In 2013, the Multatuli House had 1176 visitors. The museum organises regular temporary exhibitions about the writer as well as lectures, symposia and themed guided walks through Amsterdam.
The Noorderkerk ("northern church") is a 17th-century Protestant church in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. A number of other towns in the Netherlands also have a Noorderkerk church, including The Hague, Hoorn and Kampen.
Museum Van Loon is a museum located in a canalside house alongside the Keizersgracht in Amsterdam, Netherlands. The museum is named after the family Van Loon that lived in the house from the 19th century.
Felix Meritis ("Happy through Merit") is the name of a building on the Keizersgracht in Amsterdam.
The Amsterdam Pipe Museum (formerly Dutch: Pijpenkabinet, "pipe cabinet") is a museum in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, dedicated to smoking pipes, tobacco, and related paraphernalia. It holds the national reference collection (nl) in these areas.The permanent exhibition of the Amsterdam Pipe Museum displays over 2,000 items representing the variety of smoking pipes and utensils that have been used in all parts of the world over the past 25 centuries.
Vrijburg is an historic clandestine church concealed behind a row of houses fronting on the Keizersgracht, Amsterdam. It is situated in the center of the block, with houses on all four sides and no frontage on any public street.Vrijburg was built between 1629 and 1631 to serve Amsterdam's Remonstrant Protestants, who were not allowed to hold worship services in a manner visible by the public. Unlike many clandestine churches, the Vrijburg is a substantial, freestanding building. It is a two-story building with arched windows and even a small rose window made of brick over frame. The elegant, basilica form neoclassical interior has two sets of galleries. To secure its position, the congregation acted over time to purchase almost all of the surrounding houses, one served as a parsonage and the others were hired out.Nowadays, the building houses the debating center "Rode Hoed".
Museum Willet-Holthuysen is a museum in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, on the Herengracht canal.
The Embassy of the Free Mind is a museum, library and platform for free thinking, inspired by the philosophy of the Bibliotheca Philosophica Hermetica collection. The museum focusses on the European culture of free thinking of the past 2.000 years, with Hermetic wisdom as the source of inspiration: insight into the connection between God, cosmos and man. This connection is reflected in the Hermetic, alchemical, astrological, magical, mystical, kabbalistic and Rosicrucian texts and images in the collection.
The Royal Theater Carré (Dutch: Koninklijk Theater Carré) is a Neo-Renaissance theatre in Amsterdam, located near the river Amstel. When the theatre was founded in 1887, it was originally meant as a permanent circus building. Currently, it is mainly used for musicals, cabaret performances and pop concerts. Carré is located next to the Amstel, close to Waterlooplein. Its address is Amstel 115.
The House with the Heads (known as 'Huis met de Hoofden' in Dutch) is a large canal house on the Keizersgracht 123 in Amsterdam, named after the six ornaments shaped as heads, which are on the facade. The house is a rijksmonument and is listed on the Top 100 Dutch heritage sites.
Nowadays the building is home to the Embassy of The Free Mind, a museum and platform for culture, music, art, science and spirituality.
The Ronde Lutherse Kerk or Koepelkerk (round Lutheran church; cupola church) is a former Lutheran church in Amsterdam, located at the Singel. The church can be easily seen from the Singel by its copper dome.
De Duif is a church on the Prinsengracht in Amsterdam. At present – after the recent restoration by Stadsherstel Amsterdam – it is rented out for all kinds of events.
The Ajax Experience was a museum dedicated to AFC Ajax' club history in Amsterdam in the Netherlands. The museum, located at the Rembrandtplein, was opened on 24 September 2011 and closed within two years after a 9 million euro loss.
Waterlooplein is an Amsterdam Metro station in the centre of Amsterdam, Netherlands. The station is close to the Stopera, the city hall of Amsterdam.
Yab Yum was one of the best-known and most exclusive brothels in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Located in a 17th-century canal house on the Singel, it mostly catered to businessmen and foreign visitors. A second Yab Yum operated for a while in Rotterdam, but has since been closed.
In January 2008, the city of Amsterdam closed the brothel by revoking its licence, alleging that it was being used for criminal activity.
The Nieuwe Keizersgracht is a canal in Amsterdam, part of the eastern Grachtengordel (canal belt).
Rembrandtplein (Rembrandt Square) is a major square in central Amsterdam, Netherlands, named after Rembrandt van Rijn who owned a house nearby from 1639 to 1656.