northern part of Spree Island in the Spree river in central Berlin
Wikimedia Commons category: Museumsinsel (Berlin)
English Museum Island
Museum Island (German: Museumsinsel) is the name of the northern half of an island in the Spree river in the central Mitte district of Berlin, Germany, the site of the old city of Cölln. It is so-called for the complex of internationally significant museums, all part of the Berlin State Museums, that occupy the island's northern part:
The Altes Museum (Old Museum) named as the Königliches Museum when it was built on August 3, 1830, until it was renamed in 1841. The museum was completed on the orders of Karl Friedrich Schinkel.
The Neues Museum (New Museum) finished in 1859 according to plans by Friedrich August Stüler, a student of Schinkel. Destroyed in World War II, it was rebuilt under the direction of David Chipperfield for the Egyptian Museum of Berlin and re-opened in 2009.
The Alte Nationalgalerie (Old National Gallery) completed in 1876, also according to designs by Friedrich August Stüler, to host a collection of 19th-century art donated by banker Joachim H. W. Wagener
The Bode Museum on the island's northern tip, opened in 1904 and then called Kaiser-Friedrich-Museum. It exhibits the sculpture collections and late Antique and Byzantine art.
The Pergamon Museum, constructed in 1930. It contains multiple reconstructed immense and historically significant buildings such as the Pergamon Altar and the Ishtar Gate of Babylon.
The Humboldt Forum will open in 2019 in the Berlin Palace opposite the Lustgarten park, and will incorporate the Ethnological Museum of Berlin and the Museum of Asian Art; both are successor institutions of the Ancient Prussian Art Chamber, which was also located in the Berlin Palace and which was established in the mid 16th century.In 1999, the museum complex was added to the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites.
Source: Museum Island
German Museumsinsel (Berlin)
Die Museumsinsel ist ein aus fünf Museen bestehendes Bauensemble im nördlichen Teil der Spreeinsel in der historischen Mitte Berlins. Sie gehört zu den wichtigsten Sehenswürdigkeiten der deutschen Hauptstadt und zu den bedeutendsten Museumskomplexen Europas. In den Jahren von 1830 bis 1930 im Auftrag der preußischen Könige nach Plänen von fünf Architekten entstanden, wurde sie 1999 als Gesamtanlage in die Liste des UNESCO-Weltkulturerbes aufgenommen. Die Museumsinsel besteht aus dem Alten Museum, dem Neuen Museum, der Alten Nationalgalerie, dem Bode-Museum und dem Pergamonmuseum. Seit der Wiedervereinigung Deutschlands wird sie im Rahmen des Masterplans Museumsinsel saniert und erweitert. Am 12. Juli 2019 eröffnete die James-Simon-Galerie als neues Besucherzentrum.
Source: Museumsinsel (Berlin)
Polish Wyspa Muzeów
Wyspa Muzeów w Berlinie (niem. Museumsinsel) – północna część Spreeinsel, wyspy leżącej na rzece Sprewie w centrum Berlina, gdzie znajduje się jeden z najważniejszych kompleksów muzealnych świata, obejmujący: Muzeum im. Bodego (niem. Bodemuseum), Muzeum Pergamońskie (niem. Pergamonmuseum), Nowe Muzeum (niem. Neues Museum), Starą Galerię Narodową (niem. Alte Nationalgalerie) oraz Stare Muzeum (niem. Altes Museum). W zbiorach Wyspy Muzeów znajdują się głównie eksponaty archeologiczne oraz dzieła sztuki z XIX w.
W 1999 r. Wyspa Muzeów, jako unikatowy zespół architektoniczny i kulturalny, została wpisana na listę dziedzictwa kulturowego UNESCO.
Source: Wyspa Muzeów
Russian Музейный остров
«Музейный остров» (нем. Museumsinsel) — название, которое получила северная оконечность острова Шпреинзель на реке Шпрее в Берлине, где расположено целое созвездие знаменитых берлинских музеев. Музейный остров является центром притяжения для туристов и ценителей искусства со всего мира. С 1999 года уникальный архитектурный и культурный ансамбль включён во Всемирное наследие ЮНЕСКО.
Source: Музейный остров
Ukrainian Музейний острів
Музе́йний о́стрів (нім. Museumsinsel) - назва, яку отримав північний край острова Шпрееінзель на річці Шпрее в Берліні, де розташовано ряд знаменитих берлінських музеїв. З 1999 року унікальний архітектурний та культурний ансамбль включений у Світову спадщину ЮНЕСКО.
Source: Музейний острів
cs Ostrov muzeí
Ostrov muzeí či Muzejní ostrov (německy Museumsinsel) je severní část ostrova na Sprévě v Berlíně, na níž leží pět světově významných muzeí, součástí Berlínských státních muzeí. Ostrov je od roku 1999 na seznamu světového kulturního dědictví UNESCO.
Source: Ostrov muzeí
Spanish Isla de los Museos
La Isla de los Museos (en alemán, Museumsinsel) es el nombre de la mitad septentrional de la Spreeinsel, una isla en el río Spree, en el centro de Berlín, Alemania (la parte meridional de la isla se llama Fischerinsel, que significa «Isla de los Pescadores»).
Source: Isla de los Museos
French Île aux Musées (Berlin)
L'île aux Musées (en allemand : Museumsinsel) à Berlin, en Allemagne, est le nom d'un ensemble monumental constitué de cinq musées, situé sur la moitié nord de la Spreeinsel, l'île fluviale sur la rivière Spree (la moitié sud est appelée Fischerinsel, « l'île au Pêcheur »), dans le quartier central de Mitte. Réalisé pour le compte des rois de Prusse durant les années 1830 à 1930, le complexe de bâtiments a été classé au patrimoine mondial de l'UNESCO en 1999.
Source: Île aux Musées (Berlin)
Italian Isola dei musei
L'Isola dei musei (in tedesco Museumsinsel) è la parte settentrionale dell'isola della Sprea, al centro di Berlino (quartiere Mitte).
Il nome "Isola dei musei" è dovuto al gran numero di musei di importanza internazionale che si trovano nell'area. I musei sono parte del gruppo dei Musei statali di Berlino, appartenenti alla Fondazione del patrimonio culturale prussiano (Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz).
Per l'immensa importanza culturale ed artistica, l'Isola dei musei è stata dichiarata dall'UNESCO patrimonio dell'umanità, nel 1999.
Source: Isola dei musei
ムゼウムスインゼル（ドイツ語: Museumsinsel）はドイツの首都ベルリンの観光スポット。南北に流れるシュプレー川の中州にて、ブランデンブルク門から東に伸びるウンター・デン・リンデン街を境とする北半分の地区を指す。ベルリン美術館(Staatliche Museen zu Berlin)を構成する5つの博物館・美術館が集まっている事より「博物館島」と呼ばれる。ユネスコの世界遺産（文化遺産）に登録されている。
pt Ilha dos Museus
A Ilha dos Museus (em alemão: Museumsinsel) é uma ilha no rio Spree, localizada no centro da cidade de Berlim, no distrito de Mitte, Alemanha. No passado localizava-se nesta ilha o grandioso Berliner Stadtschloss, demolido em 1950 pelo governo comunista da República Democrática Alemã, que o considerava uma recordação inaceitável do imperialismo.
A ilha recebe este nome por lá se encontrarem cinco museus:
Museu BodeTambém se localizam na ilha:
Source: Ilha dos Museus
French L'Île aux musées (Museumsinsel)
On y trouve le musée de Bode, le musée de Pergame, l'Altes Museum, le Neues Museum, l'Alte Nationalgalerie ainsi que la Cathédrale de Berlin et le Lustgarten.
Places located in Museum Island
The Neues Museum ("New Museum") is a museum in Berlin, Germany, located to the north of the Altes Museum (Old Museum) on Museum Island.
It was built between 1843 and 1855 according to plans by Friedrich August Stüler, a student of Karl Friedrich Schinkel. The museum was closed at the beginning of World War II in 1939, and was heavily damaged during the bombing of Berlin. The rebuilding was overseen by the English architect David Chipperfield. The museum officially reopened in October 2009 and received a 2010 RIBA European Award and the 2011 European Union Prize for Contemporary Architecture.
Exhibits include the Egyptian and Prehistory and Early History collections, as it did before the war. The artifacts it houses include the iconic bust of the Egyptian queen Nefertiti.Both as a part of the Museum Island complex and as an individual building, the museum testifies to the neoclassical architecture of museums in the 19th century. With its new industrialized building procedures and its use of iron construction, the museum plays an important role in the history of technology. Since the classical and ornate interiors of the Glyptothek and of the Alte Pinakothek in Munich were destroyed in World War II, the partly destroyed interior of the Neues Museum ranks among the last remaining examples of interior museum layout of this period in Germany.
The Pergamon Museum (German: Pergamonmuseum) is situated on the Museum Island in Berlin. The building was designed by Alfred Messel and Ludwig Hoffmann and was constructed over a period of twenty years, from 1910 to 1930. The Pergamon Museum houses monumental buildings such as the Pergamon Altar, the Ishtar Gate of Babylon, the Market Gate of Miletus reconstructed from the ruins found in Anatolia, as well as the Mshatta Facade.
The museum is subdivided into the antiquity collection, the Middle East museum, and the museum of Islamic art. It is visited by approximately 1,135,000 people every year, making it the most visited art museum in Germany (2007), and is one of the largest in the country.
The Alte Nationalgalerie (Old National Gallery) in Berlin is an art gallery showing a collection of Neoclassical, Romantic, Biedermeier, Impressionist and early Modernist artwork, part of the Berlin National Gallery, which in turn is part of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin. It is the original building of the National Gallery, whose holdings are now housed in several additional buildings. It is situated on Museum Island, a UNESCO-designated World Heritage Site.
The Altes Museum (German for Old Museum) is a museum building on Museum Island in Berlin, Germany. Since restoration work in 2010–11, it houses the Antikensammlung (antiquities collection) of the Berlin State Museums. The museum building was built between 1823 and 1830 by the architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel in the neoclassical style to house the Prussian royal family's art collection. The historic, protected building counts among the most distinguished in neoclassicism and is a high point of Schinkel's career. Until 1845, it was called the Königliches Museum (Royal Museum). Along with the other museums and historic buildings on Museum Island, the Altes Museum was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1999.
The Bode Museum is one of the group of museums on the Museum Island in Berlin, Germany. It was designed by architect Ernst von Ihne and completed in 1904. Originally called the Kaiser-Friedrich-Museum after Emperor Frederick III, the museum was renamed in honour of its first curator, Wilhelm von Bode, in 1956.
The Lustgarten (Pleasure Garden) is a park on Museum Island in central Berlin, near the site of the former Berliner Stadtschloss (Berlin City Palace) of which it was originally a part. At various times in its history, the park has been used as a parade ground, a place for mass rallies and a public park.The area of the Lustgarten was originally developed in the 16th century as a kitchen garden attached to the Palace, then the residence of the Elector of Brandenburg, the core of the later Kingdom of Prussia. After the devastation of Germany during the Thirty Years War, Berlin was redeveloped by Friedrich Wilhelm (the Great Elector) and his Dutch wife, Luise Henriette of Nassau. It was Luise, with the assistance of a military engineer Johann Mauritz and a landscape gardener Michael Hanff, who, in 1646, converted the former kitchen garden into a formal garden, with fountains and geometric paths, and gave it its current name.
In 1713, Friedrich Wilhelm I became King of Prussia and set about converting Prussia into a militarised state. He ripped out his grandmother's garden and converted the Lustgarten into a sand-covered parade ground: Pariser Platz near the Brandenburg Gate and Leipziger Platz were also laid out as parade grounds at this time. In 1790, Friedrich Wilhelm II allowed the Lustgarten to be turned back into a park, but during French occupation of Berlin in 1806 Napoleon again drilled troops there.
In the early 19th century, the enlarged and increasingly wealthy Kingdom of Prussia undertook major redevelopments of central Berlin. A large, new classical building, the Old Museum, was built at the north-western end of the Lustgarten by the leading architect, Karl Friedrich Schinkel, and between 1826 and 1829 the Lustgarten was redesigned by Peter Joseph Lenné, with formal paths dividing the park into six sectors. A 13-metre high fountain in the centre, operated by a steam engine, was one of the marvels of the age. In 1871, the fountain was replaced by a large equestrian statue of Friedrich Wilhelm III by Albert Wolff. The statue was unveiled on 16 June 1871. Between 1894 and 1905, the old Protestant church on the northern side of the park was replaced by a much larger building, the Berlin Cathedral (in German, "Berliner Dom"), designed by Julius Carl Raschdorff.During the years of the Weimar Republic, the Lustgarten was frequently used for political demonstrations. The Socialists and Communists held frequent rallies there. In August 1921, 500,000 people demonstrated against right-wing extremist violence. After the murder of Foreign Minister Walther Rathenau, on 25 June 1922, 250,000 protested in the Lustgarten. On 7 February 1933, 200,000 people demonstrated against the new Nazi Party regime of Adolf Hitler: shortly afterwards public opposition to the regime was banned. Under the Nazis, the Lustgarten was converted into a site for mass rallies. In 1934, it was paved over and the equestrian statue removed. Hitler addressed mass rallies of up to a million people there.
On 18 May 1942 a resistance group led by Herbert Baum consisting mainly of Jewish men and women, tried to destroy a propaganda exhibition The Soviet Paradise in the Lustgarten. This resulted in the discovery of the group, the death of Baum in Gestapo detention and the execution of at least 27 members of the group. In a "retaliation action," the Reich Main Security Office arrested 500 Jewish men at the end of May, and immediately murdered half of them. A memorial stone made by Jürgen Raue installed in 1981 commemorates the resistance group.In 1944 the statue of Friedrich Wilhelm III by Albert Wolff was melted down to reuse the metal in war production.By the end of World War II in 1945, the Lustgarten was a bomb-pitted wasteland. The German Democratic Republic left Hitler's paving in place, but planted lime trees around the parade ground to reduce its militaristic appearance. The whole area was renamed Marx-Engels-Platz. The City Palace was demolished and later replaced by the modernist Palace of the Republic on part of the site.
A movement to restore the Lustgarten to its earlier role as a park began once Germany was reunified in 1990. In 1997, the Berlin Senate commissioned the landscape architect Hans Loidl to redesign the area in the spirit of Lenné's design and construction work began in 1998. The Lustgarten now features fountains and is once again a park in the heart of a reunited Berlin.
The Antikensammlung Berlin (Berlin antiquities collection) is one of the most important collections of classical art in the world, now held in the Altes Museum and Pergamon Museum in Berlin, Germany. It contains thousands of ancient archaeological artefacts from the ancient Greek, Roman, Etruscan and Cypriot civilizations. Its main attraction is the Pergamon Altar and Greek and Roman architectural elements from Priene, Magnesia, Baalbek and Falerii. In addition, the collection includes a large number of ancient sculptures, vases, terracottas, bronzes, sarcophagi, engraved gems and metalwork.
The Pergamon Altar (Ancient Greek: Βωμός τῆς Περγάμου) is a monumental construction built during the reign of king Eumenes II in the first half of the 2nd century BC on one of the terraces of the acropolis of the ancient Greek city of Pergamon in Asia Minor.
The structure is 35.64 metres wide and 33.4 metres deep; the front stairway alone is almost 20 metres wide. The base is decorated with a frieze in high relief showing the battle between the Giants and the Olympian gods known as the Gigantomachy. There is a second, smaller and less well-preserved high relief frieze on the inner court walls which surround the actual fire altar on the upper level of the structure at the top of the stairs. In a set of consecutive scenes, it depicts events from the life of Telephus, legendary founder of the city of Pergamon and son of the hero Heracles and Auge, one of Tegean king Aleus's daughters.
In 1878, the German engineer Carl Humann started official excavations on the acropolis of Pergamon, an effort that lasted until 1886.
In Berlin, Italian restorers reassembled the panels comprising the frieze from the thousands of fragments that had been recovered. In order to display the result and create a context for it, a new museum was erected in 1901 on Berlin's Museum Island. Because this first Pergamon Museum proved to be both inadequate and structurally unsound, it was demolished in 1909 and replaced with a much larger museum, which opened in 1930. This new museum is still open to the public on the island. Despite the fact that the new museum was home to a variety of collections beyond the friezes (for example, a famous reconstruction of the Ishtar Gate of ancient Babylon), the city's inhabitants decided to name it the Pergamon Museum for the friezes and reconstruction of the west front of the altar. The Pergamon Altar is today the most famous item in the Berlin Collection of Classical Antiquities, which is on display in the Pergamon Museum and in the Altes Museum, both of which are on Berlin's Museum Island.
It was announced that on September 29, 2014 the Pergamon Exhibit will be closed for the duration of 5 years for a complete remodeling of the exhibit hall, including but not limited to construction of a new glass ceiling and a new climate control system. The exhibit is scheduled to reopen in 2023.
The Vorderasiatisches Museum (German: [ˈfɔʁdɐ.ʔaˌzi̯atɪʃəs muˈzeːʊm], Near East Museum) is an archaeological museum in Berlin. It is in the basement of the south wing of the Pergamon Museum and has one of the world's largest collections of Southwest Asian art. 14 halls distributed across 2,000 square meters of exhibition surface display southwest Asian culture spanning six millennia. The exhibits cover a period from the 6th millennium BCE into the time of the Muslim conquests. They originate particularly from today's states of Iraq, Syria and Turkey, with singular finds also from other areas. Starting with the Neolithic finds, the emphasis of the collection is of finds from Sumer, Babylonia and Assyria, as well as northern Syria and eastern Anatolia.
Excavations in historically important cities like Uruk, Shuruppak, Assur, Hattusha, Tell el Amarna, Tell Halaf (Guzana), Sam'al, Toprakkale and Babylon built the foundation of the museum's collection. Further acquisitions came from Nimrud, Nineveh, Susa and Persepolis. The museum shows finds from the cultures of Sumer, Akkad, Babylonia, Assyria, the Hittites and the Aramaeans. These finds often found their way to Berlin via the German Oriental Society. In 1899, the Middle East Department at the royal museums was created. In 1929, they were provisionally accommodated in the Bode Museum and the Pergamon Museum, where they have been accessible to the public since 1930. During the Second World War, there were hardly any war-related losses. The mobile exhibits, which were taken as art spoliage to the Soviet Union, were returned to East Germany in 1958. The collection had already opened again as the Vorderasiatisches Museum in 1953.
Notable pieces of the collection are the Ishtar Gate and Procession Way of Babylon, remainders of the ancient city of Babylon, parts of the Eanna temple and Karaindash's temple to Inanna in Uruk. The museum also has an important number of Southwest Asian stamp and cylinder seals, as well as cuneiform texts. It has more than 200 of the Amarna letters and the larger ("Meissner") fragment (VAT 4105) of the Sippar tablet from the Epic of Gilgamesh, which includes Siduri's advice, unlike later editions of the epic.
At present (2019) Barbara Helwing is the director of the museum, following Markus Hilgert (2014-2018). Previous directors were Beate Salje, Walter Andrae, Gerhard Rudolf Meyer, Liane Jakob-Rost and Evelyn Klengel Brandt, among others.
The Grave relief of Publius Aiedius and Aiedia is an ancient Roman grave relief from the first half of the first century, now kept in the Pergamonmuseum / Antikensammlung Berlin, with Inventory number SK 840 (R 7).
It was found in Rome on the Via Appia. It is made of which marble and is 64 cm wide and 99 cm high. In 1866 it was purchased for the predecessor of the modern Antikensammlung Berlin.
The inscription under the relief reads:
Publius Aiedius Amphio is identified by the L in the inscription as libertus or freedman of a Publius Aedius. His slave name, the Greek name Amphio, typical for Roman slaves, is retained as his last name. The name of the wife, also identified as a freed slave of Publius Aedius, was Fausta Melior. Therefore, the social position of the pair is clear. The two slaves had gained a form of Roman citizenship on receiving their freedom, but it was of a lower class only, which bound them ever more to their former owner, who was now their patron. Yet they now had the freedom, among other things, to enter into a legal marriage and children produced from such a marriage would be normal Roman citizens.
The relief emphasises this situation further. The two are depicted in an almost coldly realistic way. No sign of an intimate connection or love can be seen. Both extend their hands towards the centre of the image, showing thereby their serious union and their status as a legally married couple. The wife's finger has two rings, indicating a degree of prosperity had been achieved by the pair. The image includes so much of their bodies that it is possible to identify the clothing worn by the pair. Aiedia wears a chiton and cloak, Aiedius a Toga, which was reserved for free citizens. His age and bodily blemishes are also undisguised. Wrinkles are depicted, carved deep into their skin, just as his leathery skin and the warts on his forehead and around his mouth are. All this recalls the traditional portraits on wax deathmasks. Age and its characteristics were signs of the worth (dignitas) and excellence (virtus), with which he had worked his way out of slavery.
Today there are more than 125 reliefs of this type known. The similarity to windows, from which they get their name, is no accident. Such reliefs were placed in the walls of larger grave buildings and are often found, like windows next to doors which led into the grave building itself. The depictions "looked out" from their windows along the streets lined with tombs which led into ancient Rome. It was not unusual for freedmen to be interred in the large mausolea of their former masters.
The Egyptian Museum of Berlin (German: Ägyptisches Museum und Papyrussammlung) is home to one of the world's most important collections of Ancient Egyptian artifacts, including the iconic Nefertiti Bust. Since October 2009, the collection is part of the reopened Neues Museum on Berlin's Museum Island.
The James Simon Gallery (German: James-Simon-Galerie) is a centrally located visitor center and art gallery between the reconstructed Neues Museum and the Kupfergraben arm of the Spree river on Museum Island in Berlin, Germany. Designed by architect David Chipperfield, the gallery is named after the maecenas Henri James Simon (1851–1932) who brought worldwide fame to the Berlin State Museums with his lavish donations.
As the ensemble's sixth building, the gallery has a prominent position at the site of the former Packhof designed by Karl Friedrich Schinkel, which was demolished in 1938, and its design is inspired by the construction history of Museum Island. Chipperfield's first designs featured plain cubes with a hull of satin glass and steel, causing various protests which led to an extensive revision in 2007. The design of the reception building consisted of a stone basement, framed by a modern continuation of Friedrich August Stüler's colonnades at the Alte Nationalgalerie.
The museum was completed in July 2019 and opened to the public after an opening ceremony on July 13, 2019. The gallery saw 26,000 visitors on its first opening day. It took over nine years to build and cost 134 million Euros, almost twice as much the planned budget of 71 million Euros.
Similar to the Louvre Pyramid, it is designed to receive the visitors for the island, offer them orientation, and direct them to the exhibits featured on the main circuit. The James Simon Gallery provides an auditorium, a media centre, rooms for temporary exhibitions, a bookstore, shops, cafés and restaurants for all of Museum Island.
The Attic Grave relief of Thraseas and Euandria from the middle of the fourth century BC is kept in the Pergamonmuseum and belongs to the Antikensammlung Berlin.
The relief was found in Athens in the Agia Triada (i.e. in the neighbourhood of the ancient Kerameikos). It belonged to the Sabouroff collection and was acquired from this for the Antikensammlung Berlin in 1884. The stele is 160 cm high and 91 cm wide and was carved from Pentelic marble around 350-340 BC. On the architrave the main depicted individuals are identified by an inscription as Thraseas from the deme of Perithoidai and Euandria.
Grave monuments of this kind were regularly set up along streets of graves at the edges of Greek cities. The figures appear blocky. At the time of its creation, the relief was deeper and the figural depictions distinct from the background. The grave relief is an early example of this new type of depiction. The figures retain a strong, plastic liveliness.
In the foreground, the couple sit in front of the relief. On the left stands the bearded Thraseas, wearing a cloak. On the right sits Euandria, wearing a cloak and a chiton on a cushioned stool. She wears sandals on her feet which rest on a footstool. The two hold hands and look into each other's eyes as a symbol of their former connection and of their parting by death. A servant woman with the short hair typical of slaves is depicted with her head in her hands as a strong symbol of the household's grief. This gesture with the cheek cupped in her hand is one of deep grief, also seen in other artworks. The young slave adds further depth to the relief, since she is found in the background, otherwise worked in less detail. At the edge of the relief, a flat naiskos with antae, architrave and gable frames the scene. Three acroteria which once stood on top are now lost.
The Fragment from the tomb of Nikarete from the third quarter of the fourth century BC, found near Athens is displayed today in the Antikensammlung of the Altes Museum in Berlin.
The 117 cm high and 59 cm wide fragment of a grave relief made out of Pentelic marble depicts a woman named Nikarete, daughter of Ktesikles of the deme of Hagnous. Her name is preserved on a piece of the grave's gable, which was separately manufactured. Nikarete belongs to the same type of scene as the Grave relief of Thraseas and Euandria, sitting at the right hand side of the relief, looking left. She sits on a backless, cushioned stool. Her head projects from the relief and faces forward. She wears a cloak (himation) over her head. Under this she wears a chiton with flaps and buttoned sleeves. Nikarete's hair is unparted, gathered up into a knot above her forehead. There are holes in her earlobes which once contained real earrings.
It is not clear how large the complete relief was or how many other people were depicted in it. It probably belonged to one of the most elaborate grave monuments of the fourth century BC, some of which are known today. Such monuments were mostly erected by the economically successful members of the Athenian citizenry. The nose, part of the lips and the greater part of the cloak are entirely modern reconstruction, carried out in the workshop of Johann Gottfried Schadow.
The fragments were found between Athens and the port of Piraeus. The pieces were acquired by the Baron Albert von Sack who traveled through Greece and the east with Georg Christian Gropius, then the Austrian consul in Athens and acquired a collection of ancient artefacts in the process which he later sold to the Antikensammlung in Berlin. It was one of the first ancient artworks to come to Berlin without passing through the Italian art trade.
The Museum für Vor- und Frühgeschichte ("Museum for prehistory and early history"), part of the Berlin State Museums, is one of major archaeological museums of Germany, and among the largest supra-regional collections of prehistoric finds in Europe. It was previously located in the former theatre building by Carl Ferdinand Langhans, next to Schloss Charlottenburg, and encompasses six exhibition halls on three floors. Since October 2009, the museum's exhibitions are now displayed in the Neues Museum on Museum Island.Apart from a permanent exhibition, it regularly houses temporary exhibits. Attached to the museum is a specialised library on prehistoric archaeology with over 50,000 volumes. Furthermore, the museum houses the Commission for the exploration of archaeological collections and documents from northeast Central Europe, a project for the study of ancient Egyptian calendars, and a number of other bodies.
The Severan Tondo or Berlin Tondo from circa 200 CE, is one of the few preserved examples of panel painting from Classical Antiquity. It depicts the Roman Emperor Septimius Severus with his family: to the left is his wife Julia Domna, and in front of them are their sons Geta (probably with the erased face) and Caracalla. It is now part of the Antikensammlung Berlin (inventory number 31329), currently held in the Altes Museum.
Amazone zu Pferde ("Amazon on horseback") is an outdoor 1895 bronze equestrian statue by Prussian sculptor Louis Tuaillon, installed in Tiergarten in Berlin, Germany. The name of the artwork refers to the Amazon warriors, a nation of "all women" warriors of Iranian origin (related to Scythians and Sarmatians), who inhabited the regions around the Black Sea and Eurasian steppes from the 2nd millennium BC, until the start of the Early Middle Ages.
The Double Herm of Socrates and Seneca is an ancient Roman statue from the first half of the third century AD. The herm depicts the Greek philosopher Socrates on one side, and the Roman Stoic Seneca the Younger on the other. It currently belongs to the Antikensammlung Berlin, found in the Altes Museum.
The statuette of Aphrodite known as Aphrodite Heyl in the Antikensammlung Berlin (inventory number 31272) is an especially finely worked terracotta statue from the second century BC.
The National Gallery (German: Nationalgalerie) in Berlin, Germany, is a museum for art of the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries. It is part of the Berlin State Museums. From the Alte Nationalgalerie, which was built for it and opened in 1876, its exhibition space has expanded to include five other locations. The museums are part of the Berlin State Museums, owned by the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation.
The Bust of Pericles with the Corinthian Helmet is a bust of the Athenian statesman and general Pericles which survives in the form of four marble copies from the Roman Imperial period.
The equestrian statue of Frederick William IV is an 1875–86 sculpture of Frederick William IV of Prussia by Alexander Calandrelli, installed in front of the Alte Nationalgalerie in Berlin, Germany.
Diana is an outdoor 1898 bronze sculpture of Diana by Reinhold Felderhoff, cast in 1910 and installed in the Kolonnadenhof outside the Alte Nationalgalerie in Berlin, Germany.
The Standing Figure of Nefertiti is a limestone sculpture of Queen Nefertiti, dating from the year 1350 BC. It is in the Egyptian Museum of Berlin. The queen's depiction is typical of the early Amarna Period. She is wearing sandals and a transparent robe. The figure was found in multiple pieces in 1920 during an excavation by the German Oriental Society in the remains of the studio of Thutmose. As a Great Royal Wife, Nefertiti has a special role in the history of Ancient Egypt. For this reason various representations of her have been preserved, although complete statues are rare.
Amazone zu Pferde is an 1841 bronze equestrian statue by August Kiss, installed outside the Altes Museum in Berlin, Germany.
Hunne zu Pferde is a sculpture by Erich Hösel, installed outside the Alte Nationalgalerie in Berlin, Germany.
The Monument is a 2015 sculpture by Atelier Van Lieshout. It is part of the collection of Alte Nationalgalerie in Berlin, Germany.
Löwenkämpfer (English: The Lion Fighter) is an 1858 bronze equestrian statue by Albert Wolff, installed outside the Altes Museum in Berlin, Germany. An 1892 copy stands in front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. The companion piece is Amazone zu Pferde, also installed outside the Altes Museum.
The Sam'al lions are a number of lion-shaped statues from Sam'al, the modern Zincirli, which are currently located in the Vorderasiatisches Museum Berlin (Pergamon Museum), the Museum of the Ancient Orient (Istanbul) and the Louvre.
|named after||Museumsinsel metro station|